Associated Wholesale Grocers

Associated Wholesale Grocers Employee Reviews

I put in long hours
Supervisor (Former Employee), Southaven, MSJuly 22, 2015
i was dedicated to be on time with a positive attitude . I can go back i just don't like mississippi i worked in the freezer, meat room,dairy and produce . I am a master stacker and pull 250 cases a hour
My first job experience
Order Filler (Former Employee), Oklahoma city, OKJuly 18, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of pulling orders and getting them sent out.
I learned what the phrase "work ethic" meant and that i have acquired one thanks to the guidance of my family.
My co-workers taught me a lot about the job and how to make your work go a little faster.
the hardest part of the job was that it was my first job so it took awhile to get the hang of.
the most enjoyable part was learning the life experience and gaining knowledge.
Hard work at a fast paste
Order Filler (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Great Pay / Benifets
Cons: 12 hour shifts
Everyone was fast it's a great job to work for dry grocery is a hot place to work in the warehouse. and the most enjoyable part of the day was going home after a hard work day..
strict and union
Order Selector (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMay 13, 2015
start the day off by grabbing a pallet jack you can get your hands on, normally get kicked off by a full timer. grab your headset and vocollect and pick up your first order. the vocollect tells you where to go and how many items to pick. you stack everything on your pallets until the order is complete. wrap it up and take it up. print your labels, which tell you what door too take it too and what stop (where to place it at the door) to drop it. sounds pretty simple. but they are stict about time and some items get up to 100 lbs. its a union job, so it doesnt matter who works the hardest its who's been there longest who gets treated better
Fast career growth
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSMay 11, 2015
Many opportunities for career growth across departments, offers interaction with diverse workforce, and flexible with the schedule.
Great place for a single person.
Order Filler (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMay 11, 2015
Pros: When full time: Health care is free for whole family.
Cons: Could take up to 4 years to get hired.
This place is a union job and the working schedule is 2nd shift (3pm-11:30pm), but you could easily work past your 8 hours if it is a heavy day. If your spouse works first shift, you'll never see them. The pay is great; that's why most people hang on there.
8-5 job for beginning a career
Merchandise/Pricing Associate (Current Employee), Pearl River, LAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Office workers get fresh fruit every day, they provide lunches and breakfast frequently, fairly friendly place to work, coworkers are helpful, Training in warehouse is good
Cons: hard to more up to a better position.
You must be young to work in the warehouse and willing to work hard. You have to meet quotas and get along with the supervisors. Rather hard to work up the chain unless you are friends with the right people.

Not a good place to advance or go into customer service (CS) department with any advanced experience. CS Manager is a micro-manager, loves it when you go to her for advise and how to information. Not particularly good for a self starter or one who wants to advance.
If you have children that you must care for when sick or older parents, it is very hard to manage both and one will be the loser and if it isn't your family, you will be the loser and lose your job.
Also, do not be a minute late for work!

It is a good place to begin a career, keep your nose clean and do your job and then look for another position somewhere else.
outdated culture and facilities; low pay; highly conservative
Admin (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSMay 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits; free fresh produce / flowers
Cons: low pay for what is expected; inflexible, strict
If you want a lot of work expected of you for a very low wage, as a full time admin, then work here. They also laid off dozens of people while I worked there as soon as the economy went downhill.
A culture of favortism and some management influencing other areas they do not oversee; such as whether to hire or fire people in other depts
MY JOB
ADVERTISING ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Southaven, MSApril 25, 2015
job is easy for someone with years of experience like me. Coworkers for the most part are great. We are much like a family. My manager is great very understanding person. I am an administrative assistant. I fufill all duties for this typical position. Creating ad planners and packets, billing and crediting customers, setting up meetings, attending food show, etc.
terrible place
order selector (Former Employee), fort worth texasMarch 11, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: no set off time, unrealistic rates over worked under paid
Poor management, lots of favoritism, they tell you in orientation how easy it is to reach the 100% productivity goal per day but don't tell you how difficult it really is in reality you have to literally run to even come close. Working every weekend sucks managers are of no assistance to you what so ever starting pay isn't worth the demands of the work. Great just for now job but not something to make a career out of.
This is one of the most God forsaken places I've ever worked at.
Order Selector (Former Employee), Southaven, MSMarch 6, 2015
Pros: the money is good.
Cons: the warehouse is one of the unsafest on the planet. you'll be treated like you don't matter, when in truth, you're the only thing standing between them and complete and utter failure. if you don't work, nothing moves.
The job is already demanding enough as it is, but the management makes it so much harder for only certain employees by showing favoritism and giving many of the quality pick orders to only a handful of guys that never have to work as hard as the general population of selectors.

I enjoyed working with some of the people I worked with, but it was overshadowed by the lack of concern with maintenance throughout the building. We pulled orders on second-rate machinery with a very high production rate being expected of us.

I would not recommend working here at all. My name is Matthew Whitfield and I don't care who knows it.
Long hours, favoritism.
Administrative Billing Clerk (Former Employee), Pearl River, LAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: pay was decent.
Cons: no set hours.
Horrible to work for. Favoritism. No chance for advancement. Long night hours without knowing when the shift would end. Passed up for a promotion because the job was given to another employee with no clerical experience.
Good pay and benefits but thats about all
Order Selector (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OkJanuary 15, 2015
This job has good pay and benefits but no job security. The work is not super hard but management does not care about the employees which makes the employees not care about their work. Not a bad company but not great either.
A unique and intersting place to work
Account Supervisor (Current Employee), Kansas City, KSOctober 9, 2014
Pros: indoor parking, good benifits
Cons: low pay.
Since the last time I was at Mail Print their focus and culture have changed. When I was there, they offered a fast paced work environment that left little time to be bored. The pay was not the best but they did have the best benefits of anyplace I have ever worked.
A unique experience in the most positive way.
MARKETING & RETAIL PRINT SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Springfield, MOOctober 6, 2014
AWG was once a giant of a company. It slowly was effected by the economy and had to succumb to layoff as centralization. I enjoyed my 17 years at this company and wished I could have stayed longer.
Fast paced and exciting place to work.
District Sales Manager/Advertising Coordinator (Former Employee), Des Moines, IowaSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day is spent visiting retail grocery customers. During a visit we identify opportunities to grow business ranging from cleanliness, merchandising, operations and available resources.
Constant fight between workers and management.
Project Management (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 16, 2014
The pay is ok but it is not worth everything you have to put up with.
COULD BE A GREAT JOB IF PEOPLE WOULD COME TO WORK.
Outbound Supervisor (Current Employee), Pearl River, LASeptember 10, 2014
LOOKING FOR A JOB THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO ADVANCE AND GROW WITHIN THE COMPANY.
High stress and demanding
Analyst II Corporate Traffic (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: 24/7 on call
Very interesting experience
Excessive time on the phone and working emails
Producitve, rapid paced warehouse
Order Selector (Former Employee), Springfield, MOJuly 21, 2014
Pros: good pay, friendly environment
Cons: no beneifts for atleast 2 years, long hours 3 to whenever work is done (depending on the day)
A typical day at work would include preparing pallets by following prescribed stacking arrangement and properly tagging pallets. Recording numbers of units handled and moved, using daily production sheets or work tickets. Packing containers and re-pack damaged containers. Regularly achieved over 100% of my production standard. I learned an overall sense of urgency which follows me everywhere. I learned how to lift and bend safely and according to OSHA policy. My managers and I were very in sync with what we expected out of each other and gradually formed a good supervisor to order selector kind of relationship. I was always open to constructive criticism. The same with my co-workers. There was a professional balance between all of the employees that kept things running smoothly but in a positive and encouraging way. The hardest part of my job but getting up and going in to work everyday and going my hardest. Along with my co-workers, I knew that to reach the production standard, there's no slacking off. In a way too, that was also my single most favorite thing about the job. The challenge. Going in to work and giving my absolute 100% really gave me something to be proud off after a long day at work. Going over my quota always brought a proud smile to my face.

1 2 3

About Associated Wholesale Grocers

Associated Wholesale Grocers (AWG) knows its customers can't live on bread and milk alone. The second-largest retailer-owned cooperative – Read more

Associated Wholesale Grocers Salaries