Association of American Medical Colleges

Association of American Medical Colleges Employee Reviews

Great people
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2017
I have worked at AAMC for a long time. The people are great and the benefits are excellent. It's a great place to work. Very customer oriented business.
Toxic environment, poor management and culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2017
Great place for young people to intern and get started; possibly a good place for people from academia -- people who want to do research and come up with reports that no one will read. HR there is completely ineffective - as they see who the horrible directors are, they hear the same things in the exit interviews, but those senior level staff stay on. People say it depends on what department you work in. That's true. The one I worked in was the most dysfunctional department -- nasty, backstabbing, duplicitous people. And the management treated their subordinates so horribly, with such disrespect.
Smart, Friendly Colleagues, Great Pay
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
I've worked with AAMC for a total of 8 years and overall I am happy. A typical day at work is fast pace, challenging and most of all very rewarding. I have a wonderful manager who is super supportive, flexible and down to earth. Overall, my colleagues are friendly and easy going.
Pros
Onsite parking, generous benefits plan
Non-profit healthcare higher education organization
Enterprise Database Services, Mgr (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 10, 2016
Important organization for medical healthcare education. First time I'd ever worked for a non-profit organization. Originally a consultant, then converted to a full time employee. What I originally thought would be a short term contract ended up becoming a 15 year job.
Pros
Employee commitment to the mission
Cons
Commute
Awesome place to work!
Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2012
I love working for the AAMC! Management and fellow co-workers are very pleasant, helpful, and friendly.

The work is important and very rewarding! I feel very fortunate to be an employee of such a great association.

Professional development opportunities are available and encouraged.

Some say the salaries are not as high as they should be, but I live in a different state and work in DC, and I can tell you, the salaries in comparison to where I live are MUCH better. The benefits are excellent and compare to no other employer that I've had in the past.
Pros
work/life balance; staff development; benefits; co-workers
Best place to work in terms of technology and people are very friendly and helpful.
Lead Software developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2016
Best place to choose in terms of work ethics, very professional staff. I have learnt lot of new skills related to front-end, content management and mobile technology. The co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The commute from Ashburn to DC was the only problem. They are flexible in terms of giving work from home.
Pros
New technologies and friendly co-workers.
Cons
long commute for the people coming from Nothern Virginia.
Busy workplace
Documentation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20037July 8, 2016
I concentrated on the workplace documentation, answering phones and booklets concerning information for medical students. I learned how to work with seven units and three managers in the department. I got along with and provided work desk assistance to some people in the department. The most difficult aspect of this position was the constant turnover of documentation. The most enjoyable were the in-house classes.
Pros
In-house classes
Cons
Our move from the Dupont Circle are to the edges of Georgetown
A nice company to work.
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2012
Audited 6% of the applications processed by the verification department from the prior days production, making necessary corrections and logging these errors into the database. QA was its own entity but required me to work closely with the verification team. Those co-workers were a pleasure to work with. There was no hardest part of the job but the most enjoyable part was knowing I aided in providing quality service for the associations internal and external constituents.
Pros
benefits and salary
Mission of work is rewarding
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
A rewarding place to work, with a mission to improve health care of all. The best part about working there is the people, some very smart and talented people work at the AAMC.
Pros
Benefits are great, pay is good, mission is rewarding
Cons
Open office space makes for a sometimes hard culture
Good place to work, excellent benefits
Verification Specialist (Team Lead) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2012
I worked with a great group of people in the Verification Department. AAMC has great values and provide a service that makes a difference in the world and to me that's huge. AAMC has a awesome benefits package and give's their employees a huge amount of attention. However, in the Verification Department their is no growth.
Pros
great benefits and good pay
Cons
no growth

Want to know more about Association of American Medical Colleges?

Ask a question
Fun place to start and grow with a career
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2016
Exp was great. Gladly recommend this job to anyone in help desk. Great people warm and happy place beautiful building. Make your own coffee.
Pros
kitchen, rooftop, location
Overall good company with difficult HR department
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2016
Ive really enjoyed my time at the AAMC, but have been frustrated with the HR departments unwillingness to move quickly on new hires or promotions.
Pros
Likeminded coworkers, open-door policy
Cons
open office environment
Great company
Executive Assistant to VP & CSO (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 16, 2012
Excellent benefits, great employees, challenging, high expectations, friendly, and very helpful. They are willing to invest a lot in their employees.
Best Place Ever
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2012
If you like to work with smart people who are intellectually curious, who value others and whose mission is the primary reason we are here, than you will love working at the AAMC. Management values your opinion, your insight, your efforts. The Association has doubled it's size in 10 years and is continuing to grow at a rapid pace. The best part of working here: is at the end of the day you know you have made a difference in people's lives by improving health care for all.
Good Place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2015
Good Place to work and a place to learn. Good Co-workers Most enjoyable Good management Fun and exciting work, The AAMC serves and leads the academic medicine community to improve the health of all.
Comfortable, close knit environment
Client & Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Districh of ColumbiaJune 23, 2015
I come in at 6 am, respond to consumer emails for an hour, troubleshooting their issues then I get on the phone for the rest of my shift. I learned a lot about the medical schooling process and different rest that are required. I also learned about different cultures through my co-workers because we are a very diverse group and we are very friendly.
partner with ceo of company
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2014
working for this company has change my life in many ways,I have financiakl freedom with this company, i also work with different kinds of people, from all walks of life, ive learned how to market promote and brand myself!. iam a licensed cosmotologist, and this company was made up of a group of stylist who wanted to make a difference in thhi boomin business.the job is not hard at all. i enjoy still being able to work with people .
Pros
free time.
Cons
not being able to help the client
See website
Temp The Midtown Group (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 21, 2015
Temp assignment for the summer. Was a cool place to work for a temp assignment only. I could not see myself processing applications on a regular basis.
Pros
Nothing. Was a temp
Cons
Micro management to the max
Aamc
Document Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2015
Been temping here for years. Great place to work. The staff is amazing. The managers deffintely takes a interest in their employees and works well with them to help them develop professionally.
Grew SMDEP brand
Marketing Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2014
A typical day at work was not typical. I led the brand development for SMDEP and worked with a lot of autonomy before a Director was hired. I developed the logo and learned to manage my time wisely. My co-workers were great to work with.

The hardest part of the job was working for a micro manager. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I made within the SMDEP family.
Pros
Great friendships

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Association of American Medical Colleges. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3