Assurant Employee Reviews

Assurant
AVP Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 27, 2017
I was with this company for over 31 years and took early retirement to be a caregiver. The original owners treated the company like family. When we went public again, there was lots of pressure to meet stockholder's expectations. It was a good company to work for and I enjoyed my time there. I still hold stock in the company.
Horrible place to work
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  GAOctober 26, 2017
Don't work here. Upper management is clueless. Upper management doesn't care about the adjusters or employees. They will replace you for a cheaper option.
Pros
Cons
Horrible work life balance, horrible management
Great experience
Claims Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 26, 2017
Assurant was an amazing company and I was very sad to learn they would be closing. I stayed with them for almost 7 years and had planned to work until I was done there.
Claims
Hazard Insurance Processor (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 26, 2017
Review various types of insurance documents and update the hazard insurance lines on the clients servicing system according to established procedures. Verify that the policy contains acceptable coverage and disburse premium payments from the escrow account if required; make necessary outbound phone calls to insurance agents, and companies to update insurance policies and obtain missing information. Perform maintenance as necessary for policy changes, letters, notices etc.
Pros
Short commute
Cons
Lack of work, temp posistion
great place to work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHOctober 25, 2017
I enjoyed my job,even if I worked very hard to keep up with the quota.I always enjoyed the people I worked with and for. café with coffee always available.A cafeteria also for lunch and breaks.
Productive and great working culture.
Customer Service Agent /Work from Home Program (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33157October 25, 2017
Excellent Business as well as working culture.I was part of Assurants work from home program for almost 4 years helping in Hurricane relief efforts with assisting by phone customer to file their Insurance claims.
Pros
Work from home program, paid weekly
Cons
Temporary Job
Excellent coworkers, decent management
Loss Draft Specialist (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 24, 2017
On a typical day, I would process the loss drafts checks that came from the insurance companies. Once done with that, I would assist in processing the checks that went to the customers so that they could repair their property. I occasionally had to call insurance companies as well as customers to get information about the claim/claim check. The hardest part of my job was listening to the customers call in with devastating news about how and why they needed to file a claim for property damage.
Pros
Good location and the building had great security
Cons
short breaks due to there being an astronomical amount of work.
Great Place, great people good company
Sr. Oracle PLSQL Developer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 24, 2017
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
Very sturctured
CCS - Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNOctober 24, 2017
Very nice environment. structured and fixed schedule. Time is very scare; you are expected to clock in 5 minutes early and leave 5 minutes late sometime. it is friendly work environment.
average work environment
T mobile Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 23, 2017
pay was average starting at 11 an hour
and advancement is slow you could be there for 2-3 years before advancing
managers are OK but floor support to assist new reps is limited
Pros
great working envionment
Cons
advancement too slow pay is average
very fast paced due to conversion
Payroll Tax Analyst (contract) (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 23, 2017
This was a long term temporary job that has ended. The culture is somewhat laid back. Dress is casual. Easy access to the interstate. Allowed time off appointments.
CSR Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 23, 2017
I enjoy the job and also work environment. My Supervisor is very helpful and is always there to assist in any situation. They also have Leads that are there to help if you find yourself in a situation that you can not resolve. The company it self offers great pay and benefits. It is very easy to advance in this company as long as you are at work on time and provide good quality to the company.
Typical day
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXOctober 21, 2017
Schedule bid is offered about 1 to 2 times a year, you can select your preferred schedule. Order of preference is given based on seniority and performance. Once your schedule is assigned you are required to work that schedule, management sometimes accommodate minor changes.
Pros
Good management
Great career with great perks, basketball, outdoor sitting, full serve cafeteria, great environment
Customer Care Specialists (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCOctober 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at Assurant. The management was professional and they showed great appreciation to and for their employees. Training provided. Supervisors, leaders and managment are team players seeking best and provided excellent service.
Pros
Can be stressful working with clients in disaster situations with loss or damages due to homes.
Cons
Very rewarding to help people in needed.
Lots of Perks to Hide the Toxic Workplace
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Albany, OROctober 20, 2017
Assurant pays standard call center hourly wages for it's front line, CSR I agents. Benefits are decent. The key problems revolve around honesty. In job postings and interviews you are told training is four weeks. Actual training is done in 2 weeks, the 3rd week you will begin taking calls on the floor in a special area with extra people to help you, the 4th week of "training" you are moved to your supervisor and begin taking calls as a normal agent.

If you ask in training if mandatory overtime is a requirement of the position they will tell you no but once you are on the floor especially during busy season they will require you to sign up for mandatory overtime every week. Also if you ask if there is a specific time period to move up employees and management will tell you there is not but they prefer a certain length of time. The truth is that you will have to stay in a position for a minimum of 6 to 9 months and have near perfect performance metrics to even be considered.

Quality reviews of your calls are inconsistent with points being deducted for the same thing that they were ignored on others. Assurant also utilizes ambiguous performance markers such as "establishing connections with customers" and "engaging in conversation during the call". Some calls you can get by simply asking how a customer's day was but other calls you will lose a significant number of points off your quality review.

Quality metrics do not leave much room to succeed. It is based on a 5 star system with 1-2 stars being deducted for many issues with your calls. This means if you get almost
  more... everything right during a call but miss one thing you can fail the review which can prevent you from moving up.

Overall the pay and benefits are not really worth the stress. If performance metrics were more consistent and uniformly enforced and allowed more room for isolated improvement without failing the call it would be a significantly better place to work. Last and most importantly favoritism and bribery seem to run rampant. Supervisors will intentionally leave you out of group meetings if they don't like you and will go out of there way to push you out of your job.
Entering information (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXOctober 19, 2017
Working here was enjoyable. The location is clean. The co-workers were friendly. This place provided training and professional development. The management was satisfactory.
Great people but inefficient corporate policies
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 17, 2017
Assurant get's an A for effort trying to upgrade it's technology but the acquisition management and role out of technology applications are less than efficient.
Productive workplace to learn and advance
Compliance Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 17, 2017
I was laid off from Assurant on September 08. There have been many changes to the entire company, so I can't speak on what is occurring at this time.
However, when I was an employee there, the environment and my co-workers were the greatest people in my life then and now. I keep in contact with them to this very day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to be free to share new ideas about departmental changes and the ability to work with other employees to get projects completed.
The hardest part of the job was when there were things required to learn about the new builds but the knowledge of the person responsible for teaching was limited.
Pros
Always someone to bounce ideas for advancement
Cons
Some management was very insensitive to personal issues
hectic
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHOctober 17, 2017
Hectic company but amazing benefits. Many attempts to keep employees happy. Wonderful with holiday bonuses. Company does make sure to keep employees healthy.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Hectic days
Not a great experience
Functional Associate III (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 16, 2017
Personally, I had an enjoyable experience BUT this company outsourced over 300 jobs to another country and hundreds of people lost their job. It is not right.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Assurant. Our community is ready to answer.