Astoria Bank

Astoria Bank Employer Reviews

worst place ever
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 29, 2015
I can't believe they call themselves a company. It was disgusting working in such an environment. They fired me because they said I had an odor problem.
A lot of fighting in the working environment, I didn't learn much.
The past part was the customers they were great but gosh those employees were just terrible
Too much work for not enough pay
Senior Licensed Personal Banker (Current Employee), Stony Brook, NYJanuary 26, 2015
They ask for way too much and promised way too much and under deliver in almost every facet of the job.
Good place to work and build skills as an Auditor
Internal Auditor (Current Employee), Jericho, NYNovember 17, 2014
My co-workers are all great people and make work much easier.
Outdated systems, and no sense of direction or process. A company that wants to modernize its image but lacks in number of personnel, training
Marketing Analyst / Manager (Former Employee), Lake Success, NYNovember 10, 2014
Pros: exposure to all elements of the company
Cons: lack of funding for training/personnel and patience from upper management
Direct mail, Email, Calling efforts and sizings / reporting. Also Database Administration and upkeep of the Marketing data mart. A pressure filled environment and a very dynamic environment brought about by the Rebranding and elaborate Checking Repackaging efforts of 2014.
some what comfortable work enviroment
Licensed Personal Banker FT (Current Employee), North Patchogue, NYNovember 4, 2014
Some co works were nice. Management wasn't willing t train or lead by example.
Its like a great company to work with if it is your first banking job.
Teller (Current Employee), Queens VillageOctober 30, 2014
Since I was there I had good experience with the bank. I like the sales and goals.
Teller at a small town bank
Teller (Former Employee), Somers, New YorkSeptember 9, 2014
liked this position helped me become a more active member of my community
Not a place for advancement and growth
Bilingual Banking Specialist (Current Employee), Lake Success, NYAugust 12, 2014
No opportunities at all. Supervisors want to micromanage everything you do. Very low pay.
Fun place to work, great stepping stone.
Personal Banker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: fun place, great stepping stone
Cons: pay
I had a great time working for this company, I worked in lower Manhattan very fast work environment, but the team came together during peak hrs.
Life Balance is good
Electronic Payment Services Team Member (Current Employee), Lake Success, NYJuly 19, 2014
Co-workers are friendly and helpful
The job times are good
The benefits are also good
Fun and Fair environment to work in with respectful management
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Astoria, NYMay 18, 2014
Pros: very understanding management and fair.
Cons: customers can get very rude at times.
Productive and Fun environment to work in. A typical day at work consist of normal day to day task, address customers, converse with them about what it was that I can assist them with such as, opening/closing accounts. Counted currency, counted checks received by hand or using the currency counting machine. I learned how to examine checks for endorsements and to verify information such as dates and legality of the documents. The most enjoyable part of the job was our peace of mind. If something became a problem the management would get to the bottom of it and resolve the issue. It was a good environment to work in and that made coming to work that much more worth it.
Fun workplace
Licensed Personal Banker (Former Employee), Mineola, NYApril 7, 2014
high pressure sales and no support from management, very high unachievable goals, fun atmosphere, decent breaks and benefits pay not as good
Overall Learned a lot but limited room for advancement
Recruiting Administrator (Current Employee), Lake Success, NYMarch 16, 2014
Overall Learned a lot but limited room for advancement. Fantastic managers who dedicate time to teaching employees.
Productive and family-oriented enviornment.
Telecommunications Jr. Analyst (Former Employee), Lake Success, NYFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: extended lunches and breakfasts. compensations for all expenditures incurred.
Cons: corporate politics and a bit of "butt-kissing", for lack of a better term.
A typical day at work consisted of normal day-to-day tasks. Various issues would arise, but the differentiation of departments kept order very organized. Co-workers were fantastic; a bit clique-based but as was expected as any corporate environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was peace of mind; regardless of escalation in issue, things ran smoothly and with order. ie. If something went wrong, there was a perfectly reasonable explanation and they'd get to the bottom of it.
STAY AWAY
Senior Licensed Personal Banker (Former Employee), Oceanside NYJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: just about everything
The only way anyone should take the job as a personal banker is if you are desperate and need money. This is a hostile work environment and your job is constantly threatened. In the first 3 months you are put on an orientation period where less then 50% of the employees pass. The bank is constantly seeking new Licensed Personal Bankers because they are constantly firing employees. You are responsible to make 100 calls a week but are not given any lists to call so you are basically calling the same customer until they tell you to put them on the no call list. You will not be given an opportunity to prove yourself. The goals that you are given are unattainable and the Bank is poorly managed. I've worked for different banks and different companies and this is by far the worst experience I had as am employee. If this is your last resort and you are about to become homeless I would consider taking the job if not I would take any other opportunity that comes along.
Easy going, fun, opportunity to grow
Assistant Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Long Island, NYJanuary 15, 2014
I help customers as well as manage the tellers. I have learned about the processes of a teller, and also how to complete CTR's, important information about compliance regulations, and how to manage a unit. My co-workers are extremely tight-nit. We all try and help each other out as best we can, whether it comes to referrals or figuring out a way to complete a task. The hardest part of the job often times is completing your work on top of getting referrals and helping customers, especially when we are short staffed. The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity to learn something new and interesting everyday.
Close knit group of long term employees
Senior Compliance Analyst (Current Employee), Jericho, NYJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: mom & pop -shop environment
Cons: limited value placed on change
Much of senior management at Astoria have been there since starting in the branches. It means that there is a strong familiarity with the day to day workings at every level.
aggressive but poorly resourced
personal banker (Current Employee), park slopeJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: flexible with time
Cons: everything else
The company states "putting people first" but it is difficult to do so, when an employee mindset jumps right into sale and not helping. Unfortunately that happens when there's very aggressive goals and job security is constantly threatened. As a personal banker, one is to be a marketer, psychologist, telemarketer, auditor, file clerk, sales manager, and a personal banker. Management is odd. Seems as if every branch runs with its own rules. Even though there is aggressive goals, there is a strong camaraderie.
productive and team oriented
Bank Associate (Former Employee), Oceanside, NYJanuary 7, 2014
Working at ASF was good. It is a company that encourages team work and professionalism.
Good job for students
Teller (Former Employee), Astoria, NYNovember 18, 2013
Good job for students, depending on what branch you end up in can mean a great deal of sales calls and meetings. If you don't like sales don't apply to Astoria Federal

About Astoria Bank

The Bank of Astoria was chartered to provide financial services to Clatsop County residents in 1967. A group of local businessmen – Read more

Astoria Bank Salaries