Astoria Bank Employee Reviews in United States

great place to start your career
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Whitestone, NYJuly 25, 2016
Astoria Bank is a good institution to work for if you want to be a part of a growing bank. It has focuses primarily on insurance sales and investment. I like the Astoria brand and how it focuses on helping clients financial needs all in one place. Astoria needs to improve on their hiring process. many of the members of management seem under qualified or unable to learn their system which is not as difficult as it seems. Also, for the amount of work and responsibility they assign to you it is not comparable to the compensation/commission.
Good learning experience
Bank Teller (F/T) (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYMay 19, 2016
Although it is nice to have a rotating day off during the week, the overall company is outdated. There is not enough investment into their employees and making sure the operations run effectively and efficiently.
Pros
Learn about important financial information
Cons
low employee engagament and motivation
Professional Work Environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYJune 10, 2016
It was a pleasant and professional work environment with a great workforce. The staff were polite, energetic, professional and helpful. It was a great learning experience that will be useful for future employment opportunities.
Dead end
Relationship Banker/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 12, 2016
Awful antiquated with no where to go, systems are an embarrassment to banking, job description should read come try and sell to old people 80 and up and get them to invest their money they've sat on for years.
Pros
37.5 work week
Cons
Everything else attahced with the job
Fun work place with great work life balance
Senior Auditor, Internal Audit Services (Current Employee) –  Jericho, NYJanuary 22, 2016
I enjoy working for Astoria Bank. The work life balance is great and the office is located very close to where I live. The people I work with are very nice and always treat people with respect.
Pros
The people I work with are very nice
Cons
The Bank was bought by NYCB
Internal Auditor II, Internal Audit Services (Current Employee) –  Jericho, NYJanuary 22, 2016
This company has a great life work balance.
The key goal of the company is putting people first and I feel that is true for the customers as well as the employees.
I love working for this company and hope to see greater things to come.
Cons
Great hours
Its a good place to work
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2016
Its a good place to work, nice environement, ok management, nice people, Job Culture is nice, Compensation/Benefits are ok
Looking as we will not have jobs after take over.
MORTGAGE LOAN PROCESSOR (Retail) (Current Employee) –  Mineola, NYJanuary 24, 2016
Hard working group who no longer have job security. Fun lifetime friends with co-workers. Hard to squeeze all that needed to get done in a day. Teamwork to accomplish.
Productive and comfortable enviorrment
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 13, 2016
All of the staff were very welcoming and friendly. I learned how to be more comfortable with talking to customers and selling company products.
Benefits
Not the best place to work for
Full time Teller (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYNovember 20, 2015
When you have 2 co workers quit in the matter of 2 weeks, you know the management needs to be re evaluated. I take my job serious and do not like when my knowledge is questioned The management was the ultimate problem.
Good
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
You learn a lot about banking industry. Old fashioned. A good culture and some employees are really nice. Good benefits. Sales rally event is very fun and enjoyable.
It was a pleasant job
Assistant Vice President, Credit Risk Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYNovember 12, 2015
It was a pleasant job. But commute was too long. The people were nice to work with. I worked in credit risk management. I worked on expected loss on residential and commercial loan portfolios.
Work Experience
ACH Processor/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYNovember 11, 2015
Working at Astoria, my experience has been very helpful in gaining more knowledge. I was able to advance within the bank and challenge myself in different positions to advance my knowledge.
Customer Service....yay
Assistant Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Jefferson Station, NYOctober 17, 2015
It's customer service, what more do you need? This place is actually closed now making this irrelevant. I'm just typing this so I can move on. Apparently I didn't type enough, so I'll just ramble
Full TIme
N/A (Current Employee) –  Lake Success, NYNovember 1, 2015
Good place to work, my colleagues are helpful and enjoyable to work with. It's nice to work where you are appreciated and recognized for your hard work.
Productive workplace
AVP/Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, New YorkMay 29, 2015
I view Astoria Bank as a great bank which has allowed me to advance within my career. A typical day in retail banking at Astoria Bank consists of sales, service and operations. In retail banking, I'm responsible for introducing our clients to needs based products while upholding the service and operational responsibilities as well.

Over the years I've learned how to be a well-rounded employee who is able to function within all roles of a branch employee. Overcoming obstacles is both the hardest and most enjoyable part of my job. It's hard to manage a branch with staffing issues while also being responsible for sales, service and operations. However, it's also very rewarding to be able to survive and produce positive results under such circumstances.
Family oriented and fun
Teller (Former Employee) –  1550. Flatbush ave Brooklyn Ny11210September 17, 2015
I enjoyed working with people. It allowed me to provide great customer service. Working with my managers and supervisors was great. They always helped me in my time of need.
A very cultured community bank.
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jericho NYSeptember 11, 2015
Great people, faculty and seniors. You'll learn a lot from these folks. All employees respect each other and create a harmonious work place.
Supervisory Experience
Assistant Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYApril 19, 2015
This job allowed me to learn the compliance and reporting aspect of the financial industry. I was able to Train and motivate a team that was compliance ready. I also managed schedules and planned employee events to encourage the teams sales. This job allowed me to be more consistent in my organization. It gave me a great backbone on how to proceed about everyday activities.
Bank Teller Review
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Medford, NYApril 17, 2015
Very tedious job. Handled customer transactions and helped run daily operations of the branch. The people I worked with great. My customer service skills improved and also learned how to handle money and spot counterfeits. In the end retail banking just wasn't something I could see myself doing the rest of my life.
Pros
set hours
Cons
long breaks, wages arent too good.