AstraZeneca Employee Reviews

I enjoyed the daily interaction with physicians and staff. I valued their time to discuss how Crestor could help their patient's quality of life.
Pharmaceutical Sale Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge & surrounding citiesAugust 3, 2012
I began the day in my home office planning which physicians I would see. I pre-planned what my call objectives would be for each account/office. My partner and I strategized which physicians we would call on (2 week routing schedule) as well as prioritized accounts that had the most Statin Market Share and our plan of action to increase our market share in the class. Additionally, we zeroed in on who our highest Crestor (product drug labeled a statin), writers/physicians. Maintaining and gaining market share was the most challenging part of the job. Increasing market share from those physicians writing our competitor drugs i.e. Lipitor loyalist, was probably the hardest part of our job. At the same time, convincing those Lipitor loyalist or other statin loyalist was the most gratifying part of our job. We took great pride in studying the trends where we could shift market share to Crestor and continue to grow Crestor with our loyalist. I was very anxious to see where we ranked amongst our own district/regional peers. Often times, there would be busy work at night to complete, evaluate & input physician writing habits in an Excel spreadsheet, complete expense reports, etc.
The role of Pharm. Sales Specialist allowed you the autonomy to manage your territory. However, I liked it when my District Sales Manager worked with me because she knew how to bring out the best in me. It was a bonus and a value added resource to have her work with me.
Pros
company car, amex card to expense "lunch & learn", office supplies, etc.
Cons
physicians who would not see pharmaceutical/medical sales reps.

Comment – October 11, 2012

Are you for REAL?? LOL!!

Comment – January 10, 2013

Do you really liked riding with your manager?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unstable Company, Zero Pipeline and terrible mid & upper level management
Sales Representative- Specialty (Current Employee) –  Eastern PAApril 15, 2012
When I joined this company years ago, I was estatic. What a great reputation it had, I respected the AZ Reps I saw in the field. Wow, times have changed. The company's mid and senior management have made some fundamentally flawed decisions.

And yes indeed! They claim they have the highest level of intregity and strong ethics. Not so true. They just have excellent attorneys. For example, they do not follow many of the policies other big pharma companies must adhere to and let things go unreported.

Instead of spending millions of dollars on TV ads, they should value and compensate their employees accordingly -- instead of forcing themselves to layoff thousands of employees (many of which were excellent reps, circle of Excellence winners, top notch performers). Then they go and hire contract sales reps and train them in a week (and don't tell the reps and dsm's about this until they are already working in territory). Simple horrific!

Also, in certain territories management has made bad teaming decisions, creating a not so pleasant co-worker environment.

Bad decision if you decide to work for AZ. Again pipeline is dry and Brilinta? do some research. Reps are not as talented they once were. HIring several layers of contract sales forces. Do yourself a favor, pass on this one.

And glad I just got an offer from another company!!
Pros
co car, nice base salary, crestor is probably their only saving grace.
Cons
difficult to advance, downsizing, poor managment, lack of integrity, no pipeline, not transparent.
Could not be more proud to work for this organization.
Senior Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAJune 11, 2015
AstraZeneca has provided me with fundamental knowledge and development that has allowed me to further my career and discover the true passion I have for this line of work. Even through difficult periods such as the divesting of my site's parenteral manufacturing facility, they have provided ample support and flexibility.

Due to a business decision related to the end of my site's main product market exclusivity, my company has decided to close my facility and nonetheless, AstraZeneca has gone above and beyond my expectations and not only hired an outside career management company to work with all employees, they have also opened their doors and welcomed prospective employers from companies in the surrounding areas to come in and interview their current employees whom will be hitting the job market once the facility closes its doors.

As a result, the staff has responded with an unrivaled commitment customer service and has continued to respond successfully to market volatility without delays to the patient in getting the medicines that are so important to their quality of life.

I cannot express my gratitude for the firs 10 years of my career and the wonderful experiences AstraZeneca has offered me during this time. I hope I have a fraction of this commitment from my future employer.
Pros
Culture, Salary, Benefits
Cons
Unfortunately, the technology on my site is so unique, our facility will be closing its doors at the end of our product patent.
Westborough, MA
Materials Management Associate (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAJune 11, 2015
• Responsible for movement of controlled substance materials.
• Maintain an understanding of, and compliance with, all applicable SOPs, GMPs and department/site guidelines to ensure fulfillment of all applicable regulatory requirements (OSHA, FDA, DEA, FTZ, etc.).
• Safely and proficiently operate multiple types of Powered Industrial Trucks (PITs).
• Maintain skill proficiency in mySAP (including Radio Frequency devices), Clippership, Microsoft Outlook, Temp Tracer and all other programs necessary to support warehouse/label control activities.
• Assist in various cycle-counting and location-audit activities.
• Perform all warehouse duties related to receiving, shipping and storage of direct materials (raw materials, WIP and finished goods), chemicals, HAZMAT materials and non-stock materials.
• Perform all warehouse duties in support of Production.
• Safely and proficiently operate all non-PIT equipment including hand pallet jacks, pallet inverting machines, pallet stretch wrappers and pallet banding machines.
• Understand and communicate Bill of Lading information to outside truck drivers and carriers.
• Perform all system transactions and updates, including BOL, MRR, MMC, POD, DFR, MVI Tank Log, etc. and complete any written documentation required to support these processes or forms.
• Oversee stock inventory to ensure consistent, adequate supplies.
• Maintain license to operate a forklift.
Pros
Westborough, MA
Cons
Westborough, MA
Work Experience
Global Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 8, 2014
I provide efficient and effective project coordination and administrative support to ensure orderly flow of operations and communications for 8+ senior pharmaceutical executives and 5+ cross-functional drug development teams. I work effectively with internal/ external network of customers to schedule and coordinate meeting logistics and conference needs to ensure high quality meetings. Prepare and coordinate delivery of team meeting agendas, minutes, and presentations, setup and run slides during. Update global project team’s action and event logs after team meetings. Develop and maintain user-friendly templates, communications plans, process contract agreements, information management, project planning and control reporting, arrange travel, expense reporting, SharePoint, Visa applications, purchase requisitions, and other intricate projects. Follow-up on outstanding actions to ensure completion to agreed standards and deadlines. Manage global calendars for leaders and team members; monitor e-mails to identify matters of urgency which are handled accordingly. I handle complaints and problems with tact, patience, and diplomacy. In addition, I also handle confidential and sensitive information discreetly.
The challenging part of my job keeping a work/life balance. The rewarding aspects are customer satification, relationship building and personal development.
Multiple award winning sales professional across various therapeutic areas.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Northern, NJAugust 22, 2012
Job consists of harnessing relationships with HCP's (health care professionals) including physicians, nurse practicionners, pharmacists and hospital administration professionals. This was to ensure market share growth of AstraZeneca's portfolio of products in a certain geographical area.
Usually involved 8-!2 meetings a day with HCP's. I learnt a great deal of clinical information in three different therapeutic areas. Cardiovascular, Gastro-Intestinal and Diabetes. I also learnt the inner-workings of many different area's in the health care system, including private-practices, hospitals, managed care companies and pharmacies.
Have been given many different leadership assignments due to expertise in the above mentioned areas.
Consistently received awards for market share growth of various products.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with issues I could not control. For example, an insurance company dropping one of our medications from their covered list.
One of the most enjoyable parts of the job was the feeling that I was improving the lives of patients who were prescribed our medications.
Pros
excellent company to work for and great learning experience.
Cons
limited management opportunities.
Loved working there; however
Senior Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 1, 2015
I really liked working for AstraZeneca/Medimmune. The company is great!!! I love the customers I had to support with IT Support; however, Computacenter is the contractor I worked under as a sub-contractor for A3.

Everything about AstraZeneca/Medimmune is progressive, and the full time employees are generally very nice; however, Computacenter, (which won the technical support contract from TEK Systems about 6 months ago is dropping the ball at both ends of the court!)

I averaged working at least 2 hours per day overtime (for FREE) to try and help Computacenter get their act together with the customers, but instead, I was told it wasn't necessary! What type of gratitude is that?

Also, Computacenter managerial staff never got my user account accesses and tools straight! They told me to perform a job and related functions, but were not organized to put those requirements in place for me in a timely or organized fashion.

AstraZeneca/Medimmune is an amazing company, but Computacenter really needs to get their act together!
Pros
great cafeteria; quiet areas, end of the week happy hour (Fridays only); parking
Cons
driving from building to building sometimes was taking a toll
Great company, terrific product mix, slow to change in ever changing environment
MCRO - Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 10, 2013
A typical day entailed preparing and tayloring a product presentation for each targeting physician on a daily basis. All physicians are different and what they listen to is even more complex. Treating each and every person in an office as a decision maker is what differentiated me in the offices. Getting to 'partner' in the treatment process is a particularly rewarding part of the position.

Unfortunately, decentralization of the regional business center took away some advancement possibility as well as downsizing due to generic competition. The forseeable pipeline and the difficulty getting compounds approved by the FDA led me to make a difficult decision to leave an solid job.

The hardest part of the job is realignment and starting over with new offices while leaving offices that strong relationships had been built.

The most enjoyable part is having clinical discussions with an engaged physician and hearing that the medication I represented was successful in the treatment of a patient.
Pros
company car, benefits, practical application of products
Cons
decentralization of business center
AstraZeneca helped to make me a strong individual today.
Executive Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 20, 2013
Most of my career at AstraZeneca was working for Sr. Management. In the role as Exec. Admin for the CFO, I interacted daily with global colleagues which I truly enjoyed. I came up the ranks with the CFO. I considered him my mentor. He taught me how to be a team player. I learned to focus on my strengths & work on my weaknesses. I'm a very outgoing individual & to be in that position, enabled me to interact with many diverse individuals internally as well as externally. I loved when the due diligence process was going on for either buying or selling a company. I have a high level of energy & I enjoyed the responsibility of being trusted to create highly confidential presentations & interacting with the individuals on the due diligence team. The best part of my job was definately the people. I gained a lot of friendships over the years. But as the economy went downhill, AstraZeneca was struggling so I felt it was time to retire & try something new. I have a lot of experience & skills that would be an asset to any company. Thanks:)
Pros
my hours were 7a-3p; i was able to enjoy flexible working hours.
If the dust settles with all of the reorganizations going on, and we get more good drugs in the pipeline, then we will have a future.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 21, 2014
The company has gone through a lot of changes over the past few years. As a result, a lot of re-organization, and downsizing happening.

I feel that the new CEO has refocused the company and we are going in a better direction.

A typical large company mentality, where the bottom line is making money. If it is in the best interest of the company to cut a job, move a person etc... that will happen and you cannot take it personally.

Also there seems to be a lot of politicking. More than my personal experience having worked for other large companies. It is who you know more than what you know, which is unfortunate.

A lot of contractors/consultants, all in competition with each other and not caring about what is best for AstraZeneca. Management needs to recognize this and also tap into these resources for ideas/suggestions on how to make the company better.
Pros
a lot of hard working, smart people. good diversity in the work place.
Cons
too much change/re-organization, resulting in uncertainty regarding your job
Fun yet challenging interactions with an educated group of customers.
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 10, 2012
Constantly analyzing data for individual and group accounts to know how effective you have been with your relational selling. You determine what's working well and what could be done diffferently to improve overall outcomes. Interactions are brief, so you must be precise in the direction you want to go with the customer. Sales managers typically ride with you one day a month to observe and to provide coaching feedback based on the quality of your interactions with your customers. My previous co-worker seemed to be a hard worker. Most of our communication occurs over the phone, however, we would set time aside every other week to meet face to face to discuss the territory and our customers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with managed care obstacles that often prevent your products from being used. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the office staff, decision makers, and the doctors.
Pros
flexibility, company car, 100% match on 401k
Cons
no r & d...no pipeline, layoffs
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 19, 2013
• Recruited for the AZ Sales college hire program directly upon graduation from University of Delaware.

• Was part of the Newark, NJ district team calling upon internal medicine physicians, cardiologists and endocrinologists across Hudson County, carrying three products in the cardiovascular and diabetes markets (Crestor, Onglyza and Kombiglyze XR).

• Newark District Product Solutions Lead as well as the Diabetes Product Line District Champion. Customized various promotional pieces to pass on to the team, as well as other NJ territories. Participating in a once monthly conference call with the other district leads and assembling a call to action plan to bring back to the Newark district.

• Highly active in the local medical community, attending and raising donations for charitable foundations that carry out volunteer medical missions treating over 7,000 patients in Haiti.
Demanding production schedule, but went along good and had fun doing so.
Lead Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAFebruary 12, 2013
The day started with a run threw of what is left over from the last shift so we could schedule people as needed. Learned more of the production area, setting up lines. Start up with Rommelags, finish product and quality control. The management was good it is a tough time, they are learning as well as the people. Considering they recently change from a US operations to suppling the rest of the world. It will take time to adjust, but the people working there will suceed in doing so. My fellow co-workers where great they knew there jobs and did them very good, we where like family and still get together after hours. The hours worked third shift, little sleep. Overall group we had was very fun had lots of laughs and got along really good.
Pros
good people
Cons
to many changes daily
Great Company
Diabetes Sales Specialist, Crossville (Former Employee) –  TNMay 20, 2015
My day would consist of pre-call planning typically the night before. I would start my day around 7am, traveling to my first office. I typically would not leave the field until 4:30pm.

I learned a lot about diabetes and the management of Type 2.

My manager was on leave for a medical condition and then decided to pursue other interests. For the majority of the year my district did not have a direct manager.

I was very blessed to have wonderful co-workers. We all worked together to drive business in our territory.

The hardest part of my job would be getting the valuable time you need with a physician or provider on a continuous basis.

Building relationships with the staff and providers that were profitable.
Pros
Profitable Relationships
Cons
Not always getting the time I needed to make the impact I wanted to.
A great place to work and be a leader.
Hospital Sales Representative & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2013
Hospital Sales that called on every Department in each account. I was responsible for getting my products on the Hospital Formulary, Contracting Price, In-servicing all Department's that would use that drug, whether it would bin in the OR, Cath Lab or ICU.
I was a trainer for new products that we launched and I was held accountable for getting the entire Hospital sales force up to speed on the drug and disease state management area we would be selling in.
I was involved in the Indiana Medicaid team that helped get our products in this market for 10 years.
Pros
ever changing market kept you always engaged and excited about the unknown.
Cons
too much turnover the past several years with good management.
Summary of experience while working at AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals:
R&D Information Technology - Delivery Leader (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 21, 2012
Results-oriented professional with an impressive track record of accomplishments in areas related to Team Leadership, Project Management, Technology Solutions Development, Internal Business Consulting, Process Improvement, Supplier Relationship Management, and Category Management.

Conceptual, independent thinker who is proactive in addressing key issues and initiating processes to maximize efficiency and bottom line results. Excellent relationship building skills and ability to maintain a critical balance of assertiveness and respect with internal and external customers using sound business judgment and tact.
Astra Zeneca is a wonderful company to work for.
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Central Valley, CA, field salesOctober 30, 2014
My tenure at AstraZeneca has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. In my day to day activities as a field sales, pharmaceutical representative, I make it my goal to call on and have persuasive discussions with 10 - 12 providers and key influencers per day. I have learned how to manage both a micro-territory as well as an entire district in order to meet and exceed sales goals. I have the skills and ability to analyze, strategize, and deliver on my goals. The most enjoyable and satisfying part of my work is bringing potentially life changing medications to appropriate patients.
Pros
constant interaction, a job that suits my skill set
Cons
i cannot think of any "cons"
multinational company with good work enviroment
Medical Representative (Current Employee) –  Al JīzahJune 21, 2014
· Responsible for closing direct sales of products and/or services in order to meet individual/team targets and the organization's business objectives.

· Creates, monitors and revises lead generation plans to generate a substantive sales opportunity pipeline.

· Responsible for sales calls directly from/to prospective and/or existing customers.

· Responds to customer questions.

· Effectively builds rapport with customers by probing for needs and recommending appropriate solutions.

· Achieves monthly, quarterly, and annual sales objectives, while ensuring the optimum customer experience and satisfaction by following established processes and procedures
Poor place to work, used to be great
Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist (Former Employee) –  BostonAugust 16, 2012
AstraZeneca used to be a great place to work, unfortunately the recent financial challenges have changed that culture. There is a constant series of layoffs and employees are very unsecure. The management is constantly changing directions and can't make up it's mind about what to do, which is very disruptive to productivity. There is a constant stream of blame games and fingerpointing as to who is to blame for the difficulites the company is under. These are all very recent developments. Even as recently as three years ago AstraZeneca was a fantastic place to work with a great culture and an enthusiastic staff.
Pros
salary
Cons
impact of company's poor financials on employees
Influential Role
Regulatory Submission Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 8, 2013
As a Regulatory Affairs Manager, I drive the submissions of licence variations and renewals and ensuring proactive management of the regulatory process. While ensuring there is focused regulatory input into new product development, I make a real contribution to the delivery of brand and commercial objectives

I am flexible and proactive with strong negotiation skills. Accomplished at building strong working relationships and truly enjoy working in cross-functional teams across the organisation.

I rate AstraZeneca a "5 Star" company!
Pros
building strong working relationships with smg members as well as cross functional teams
Cons
time difference