AstraZeneca Employee Reviews

Good Company to Work For
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 21, 2017
I started my pharmaceutical sales career at AstraZeneca, and worked as a Sales Specialist there for 8 years. AZ is a good company overall. They have great products, and I was lucky enough to have good management in my time there. The hardest part of the job is that you are at the mercy of sales forecasting and the managed care coverage in your territory. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in front of my customers and building relationships with them. I would totally recommend AZ to a friend, as a good place to work.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance, Great Benefits, Company Car
Cons
Pod Selling, Career Ladder Process
Excellent base salary with good work/life balance
Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 29, 2016
Excellent base salary and good work/life balance. Unfortunately the company's culture has changed dramatically over the years, and not for the better.
Good paying job
Specialty Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYAugust 8, 2016
AstraZeneca offered a good paying job, with a very nice work/life balance. There was no room to advance with the small minded managerial appointments made during 2013 and 2014. Management promoted who they liked, not who could sell. The culture suffers greatly from the high school like atmosphere I witnessed during my tenure.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Horrible middle and lower management
Leading pharma co with great culture
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 16, 2017
AZ is a great company that hires quality people. Benefits and pay are excellent. Corporate culture is unique for big pharma. Though flexible work arrangements are certainly fewer now, the company does support them. Arrangements vary by team and responsibility level.
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2016
Great place to work, great culture, I had the opportunity to sell a variety of porducts and work with many people.

Connected with many people in the field
I learned many different disease
Had a great relationship with management
Had a great relationship with my co-workers
Hardest part of the job was going through changes
Most enjoyable part is helping people
Great place to work if you can remain optimistic and flexible
Director, Launch Planning (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 9, 2017
Company is still large enough to provide many career opportunities for individuals who are flexible.
Great income and benefits; beautiful facilities and amenities.
Fast paced
Sr. Regulatory Documentation Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDOctober 4, 2016
I am a Working Team lead for a therapeutic area, so my typical day is resourcing work, editing corrupted document and publishing. I've learned how to work harmoniously with the Swedes. My co-workers are knowledgeable and team players. The hardest part of my job is jumping between a very involving project and having to stop and resource work within my working team. I enjoy my job for the most part but I enjoy getting submissions done with quality and having my team appreciate all my efforts.
Pros
Work remotely when needed; flexible hours; great vacation time.
Cons
Work more than 10 hours a day for the most part. Advancement in a big organization is slow.
Global biopharmaceutical company
Associate General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 27, 2016
I had a close to ten years career at AstraZeneca, beginning with a role as incoming corporate counsel and ending as a senior corporate and transactions counsel - lots of deal and risk management exposure. Great experience and environment.
Great Place and people
Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 7, 2016
Culture is great for work/life balance. Typical day is productive and good. Learned a lot about the industry and how to effective sell. I learn to put customer first and to be an entrepreneur.
Pros
All around great company
Cons
downsizing
Expansion and rapid growth destabilized many established teams which left the team members uncertain about the future and lowered productivity.
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 8, 2016
Rapid growth and acquisition of a new company changed the dynamics of the Pulmonary division leaving many district team members uncertain and the future of their team. Many managers committed themselves to future opportunities and spent little time focused on the development of teams already established. There was little to no concrete information shared by management about the future of many existing teams therefore, seasoned employees focused on finding new positions elsewhere leaving 30% of the existing sales team displaced to be absorbed by other districts. The team members that were left had uncertain roles for the future with the very real possibility that current positions would be dissolved or replaced with no promotional or lateral opportunities available. The typical work days are spent calling on high target HCP's working to maintain market share and reverse automatic product switches due to loss of formulary status of major local and state insurance providers. Lunches are held several times a week where I capitalize on the opportunity to promote the product benefits for the patient. As an experienced and effective representative, I was able to spin the negative and spend less time on damage control.
Management was not forthcoming or reassuring about upcoming changes which left remaining co-workers gossiping and scrambling for positions that where not yet posted. About 50% of employees share this less optimistic view of the companies culture and direction. The other 50% that have had some history with the company share views of a brighter and more stable
  more... times when the company was not in a state of flux defending against hostile takeovers and managing the growing pains of acquisition to stay in a solvent position of power. This time in the history of the company will only be remembered as a bump in the road. This will quickly pass and the company will shine as bright as it always has until the next shuffle of power in the top management. I hope that they learn from history and not repeat the cracks in the core that could shake the foundation.  less
Pros
The benefits of the company are good if you are there long enough to take advantage of them.
Cons
Growth and change brought instability & chaos to this company affecting it's most valuable resource, the employees.
They treat employees well
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  variousJuly 6, 2016
Great company to work with. As with most of the other companies in the industry, it is a dynamic environment where you must be comfortable with regular changes.
Pros
general culture of positivity, good compensation and recognition
Cons
none, typical things of the industry
Great company to work for. Benefits were great
EH&S Technical Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAJanuary 7, 2017
Enjoyed 17 plus years at AstraZeneca. Multiple opportunities working in different areas to learn and grow. Benefits and health insurance was phenomenal. Great effort to operate as a flat organization thereby empowering employees to demonstrate skills and effect change
Pros
Great benefits and compensation
Cons
Great company with incredible values but little stability
Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 15, 2016
2017 will be a lean year for AstraZeneca. The company is incredible to work for. Following the science and putting patients first are core values that are emphasized at every level in the company. There isn't as much room for advancement as a smaller company but the training is thorough.
Good People in Difficult Jobs
Senior Engineer, Validation (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHJune 24, 2016
They are moving to a very LEAN Culture without taking into account they are producing a Sterile Injectable. The concept is a good one, but they are cutting far to close to the bone to allow the people to remain nimble and able to address changes or issues quickly...
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Work / Life Balance
Good pay and benefits
Packaging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHOctober 13, 2016
Great Pay and Benefits but too many changes and not enough opportunities. More of the good old boy system catering to the white males. Have military backgrounds and your good regardless of less experience. Not enough diversity or support for female professionals. Position was impacted under 2 yrs. Have many years of experience but director kept a former military with first year experience. How he could be more qualified isn't possible.
Committed to long-term disease state treatment of patients
Senior Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 2, 2016
>Typical work day is consumed with numerous in-depth discussions involving patient profiles; co-morbidities; best treatment options; expected clinical results; and manage care access.

>I learn what's important to my physician as it relates to treatment outcomes for his/her patients. Additionally, the tools my physicians implement to assure patient compliance.

>Management is instrumental in assisting in the career development goals. Additionally, providing the resources necessary to aid in establishing a consultative relationship with the physician.

>Key to establishing a seamless vision of our product and messaging through consistent communication and business planning.

>Assisting my physicians in their efforts to communicate the importance of compliance to assure the best potential clinical outcomes to their patients.

>Without question the success stories my physicians share with me as it pertains to patients clinical successes as a result of being treated with my products.
Pros
Positive work/family balance
Cons
Unstable job security within the organization
Putting the patient first
PSS (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 11, 2016
The company is very proud and generates its local focus on getting respiratory patients the best medicine at the most convenient cost. AstraZeneca has developed a great culture around placing the patient first in every call with a provider.
Cons
Micro-Management
great company
Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 10, 2016
I have learned a lot with AstraZeneca. The work environment is pretty cool. The training is intense but it prepares you for your career. Overall, good company with high goals.
Pros
work culture
Cons
pay compared to other companies
Company that really cares about the patient
Sr. Diabetes Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 1, 2016
It's a good company that's really family oriented. The hardest challenge is their progression process. Even if you have years of experience, you still have to start at the bottom in regards to getting promoted.
Pros
Family and patient oriented
Cons
Challenge in career progression until you put in the years
I absolutely loved everything about working for AstraZeneca
Pharma Sales Specialist -RESP, GI, CNS & CV (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 18, 2017
Very professional company. Sales training was extremely effective and very efficient. Sales culture was exciting and competitive. There was never a dull moment. I made life long friends in this industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AstraZeneca. Our community is ready to answer.