Job Title: Shop Leader
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Astro Pak is the nation's leading precision cleaning and passivation contractor specializing in the cleaning of high purity gas and fluid systems. The company, founded in 1959, has performed on-site precision chemical cleaning in every State of the Union as well as several projects in Asia, continental Europe, England, Ireland and Mexico.
This position provides functional management and technical leadership of field technicians. At times, the position will provide direct supervision to field team in pursuit of goals and objectives for client. The Project Leader ensures schedules are consistently met for client. Takes action to ensure the highest level of performance by team. Participates / leads continuous improvement initiatives to improve team performance in the areas of quality, customer service and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Delegate and sets expectations and monitors activities
- Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of job, and arranges for recruitment or assignment of job personnel and job resources; i.e., propane, waste tank, etc.
- Confer with Operations Manager for job review outline including job scope, duties and responsibilities
- Manages project activities and personnel in the most productive manner to ensure project progresses on schedule and with prescribed budget
- Keeps detailed job notes and proper documentation for job
- Insist on jobsite safety; Up to and including client facilitated safety training, Pre Job Hazard Analysis, and the adherence to Astro Pak’s Safety Program; i.e., 10 Minute Safety Talks and monthly safety training.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; Meets commitments made to clients.
- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things
- Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings
- Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeeds; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members
- Interface with all levels of client representatives
- Provide supervision to others through motivation, direction, review, training, & feedback of assigned tasks
- Have complete understanding of project scope and lead its implementation from start to finish
- Possess a complete understanding of our chemistry and why it is used
- Calculate system volume and chemical requirements
- Set up flow paths to best economize effectiveness and time
- Recognize changes in contracted scope
- Manage the Gross Profit of the job for Astro Pak
- Have time sheets signed by the customer daily on time and material jobs
- Review email daily
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Provide training and coaching to technicians
- Follows policies and procedures at all times
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Look for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Display passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision
- Comply with all aspects of the Operations Excellence Manual and ensure that all technicians under your charge are in complete harmony with its expectations at all times
- Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Corporate Safety Director
- Participate and takes responsibility in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals in a timely manner
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager and leads 2 – 12 employees on jobsite
- Provide leadership to others through example by sharing of knowledge/skill and best practices with professionalism
- Continually strive to build knowledge and skills by pursuing training and development opportunities in self and in others
- Communicate effectively by listening carefully, responding well and participate in regularly held meetings
- Promote teamwork by demonstrating a willingness to lead new Astro Pak initiatives in driving excellence through the implementation of new concepts
- Set example by exhibiting dependability, support, adaptability and punctuality
Education/Training/Certifications: Two-years technical training /certification course; or Associate’s degree from two-year college or technical school; six months to one year Astro Pak Field Technician experience or two years related experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Having a 4-year college degree is a plus. Certificates: Hazwoper, Bio/Pharma or Project Manger I certificates are a plus.
*License*: Possess a valid class “C” driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
*Knowledge/Skills/Abilities*: Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. and be able to enter data accordingly; perform Outlook e-mail communication and maintain an updated / accurate calendar. Ability to write clearly, read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers and/or employees of the organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Amount of time spent in the following physical activities while on the job):
Stand - 100%
Walk - 50% - 75%
Sit or running - 25%
Use hands to finger, handle, or feel - 100%
Reach with hands and arms - 100%
Climb or balance - 50% - 75%
Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl - 50% -75%
Talk or hear - 100%
Taste or smell - 25%
Other: Vision (distance, peripheral, close) - 100%
Other: Lifting - 100%
Risk of Electrical Shock - 50% - 75%
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY LEVEL
1. A mixture of Light, Moderate and Heavy physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
2. Extensive physical activity performing strenuous daily activities of a primarily productive/technical nature
Amount of Weight Lifted
Up to 10 pounds - 100%
Up to 25 pounds - 100%
Up to 50 pounds - 50% - 75%
Up to 100 pounds - 25%
More than 100 pounds - 25%
OTHER PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Percent of a typical workday possible position exposure to:
- 25% Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions)
- 5% Vibration (i.e. operating jackhammer, impact wrench)
- 5% An improperly illuminated or awkward and confining work space
- 5% Working. on ladders, rooftops, bucket trucks, scaffolding, etc
- 50% Lifting or carrying items
- 50% Working with corrosive or other chemicals
1. Exposed to air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors); Exposed to vibration (i.e. operating jackhammer, impact wrench). Risk of electrical shock.
2. Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/shop environment with adequate ventilation; Working above ground level where the possibility of falling exists (i.e. on ladders, rooftops, bucket trucks, scaffolding)
3. Exposed to an improperly illuminated or awkward and confining work space.
4. Outdoors exposed to changing weather conditions (ex.: rain, sun, snow, wind, etc.); Outdoors but in an enclosed vehicle protected from extreme weather conditions; Outdoors and indoor shop environment with adequate ventilation.
- +/-75% with overnight stays, weekends and holidays by land and/or air.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary will be commensurate with experience. Astro Pak Corporation offers a competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401K retirement program, company paid holidays.
- Team Player; Proactive
- Honest / Articulate / Ethical
- Scientific background
- Understand the basic laws of fluids and chemical relations
- Able to solve mixture problems
- Familiar with test methods
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter through Indeed or through the careers section of the company website. In the subject heading, please write the specific job title you are applying for.
Astro Pak Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons because of age, race, color, creed, religion, disability, gender, ethnic or national origin, or veteran status. Astro Pak prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with a disability.