ATCC Employee Reviews

Okay
Club House Manager (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CASeptember 25, 2017
A great place to work great GM, just too much politic and always all country clubs are full of politic and should more focus on operations but it is a private club and management works for all members.
Flexible schedule with high pressure to meet goals
Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 2, 2017
The workplace culture is one of the better ones that I have come across. It is very much like working with family. There is a disparity on pay levels between the the labor work and the research specialists that is more extreme than is reasonable. There are some nice benefits such as gym credits and a free workout area that is always available. If you have a skill and want to pursue it there are frequent opportunities to do so, just little to no compensation. The verbal recognition is higher than with other employers though.
Pros
Free gym, discounted legal support
Cons
healthcare is expensive, starting pay is low
Helpful resource
Specialty Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 22, 2017
Learned various areas of production as well as had the opportunity to redesign my own facility. Great starting point and ending point to any career. I enjoyed my time here.
Pros
leave
Cons
payscale
Open positions because of toxic environment
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 16, 2016
Be very careful before you sign up here. Lots of politics (particularly from HR and upper management) lead to high turnover.

Lots of people unhappy with the place; with a smaller group of people who have been at ATCC since the beginning of time. These folks will never leave, but they're not interested in doing much work. The new people have high turnover because they're not as tied to the vacation benefits that increase over time.

Pay scale is low and a 'bell curve' to give year end bonuses and raises makes for a "zero sum gain" culture- if you get a good review, it means it's not likely I could get a good review too, because the manager only has a few of them to give. This makes people unhappy; they feel like they have to wait until next year to get the higher bonus or good review. Or they look for another job. HR says "like it or leave" and many people have left. If you are interviewing ask about the turnover of the newer people- HR talks about how the "average" person stays X years. But they're averaging in those lifers who have been there 25 + years.

They keep hiring more senior directors and senior VPs; they need people who get the work done. It's kind of a mess. This is a temporary stop for me, and for many others.
Pros
free parking and nice campus
Cons
low wages and no recognition
Good First time position
Cell and Molecular QC Biologist II (Former Employee) –  VAJune 9, 2016
Stability, low pay, not so great management and co-workers were not very cooperative either. It was a good experience as a first time job.
Pros
Stability
Cons
less pay
Only if you are desperate
Senior Biologist (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJanuary 16, 2016
I have worked 4 years at ATCC and since that time I've seen 3 company heads and 3 department heads. If you think that is bad, the turnover rate for lower level employees is worse. Management from senior to supervisor level are either incompetent or in a state of fear. Since I started, 2 lab supervisors out of the 4 in our department have been removed due to abusive behavior toward their charges. The lab equipment is horrible and older then my teenage son. There are no promotions, no advancement. The pay is on the extreme low end for Northern Va (the CEO's is an exception of course). I've been in the Biotech business for over 20 years and this place is the worst place I've ever worked.
Pros
nice co-workers while they're there.
A good place to start
Senior Biologist (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 10, 2015
ATCC is a good place to start your career, but it's very hard to advance. They're willing to hire new grads and career changers, and you will get a solid foundation in laboratory work. Upper management is almost continually churning and they prefer to hire middle management from outside the company. Morale seems to be low with many employees.
Pros
Opportunities to learn
Cons
Few opportunities to advance your career
Great work environment for student
TRIGONOMETRY TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNJuly 8, 2015
ATCC provided all student employees with everything needed to complete their job. Including an outline on how to work while being a student. The most enjoyable part of work was hearing the praises given by all the teachers who were more than happy to strike up conversations even if you weren't their direct student.
Pros
Very fun, lots of learning experience.
Cons
Not for the type who enjoy easing into work.
Ineffective Management
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 2, 2014
Management does not support its employees. Decent hours and low pay.
Mandatory OT
Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 7, 2014
Bullied by long time e'ees. Micro-management. Mandatory OT at straight time pay. My way or the highway co-workers
Pros
location
Cons
Micro-Management. No movement, No increases, No team.
my deparment
Biologist IRR (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 25, 2013
my department IRR was not the best department to work for at ATCC high turnover and inconsistant manangement
Cash Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VASeptember 11, 2013
Before working at ATCC I was a Food Service Manager for fifteen years, I suddenly became divorced and needed more of a work/life balance because of my two small boys so I left food service and started working for ATCC in a entry level position as an invoicing clerk. This was my first real office job so I have learned a lot and also brought a lot of skills with me from the food service industry. My co-workers are great people very helpful. The hardest part of the job is Tuesdays and days after a holiday because that is when the check volume is the highest.
Pros
Employee relations committee and onsite gym
Cons
non-profit low salaries