athenahealth Employee Reviews

I truly enjoyed this company and the work
Correspondence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJanuary 17, 2017
I truly enjoyed the work I did with AthenaHealth, Inc. The management was great and easy to work with. Multiple time I was approached and given a new workflow and a promotion. I never had to ask for more challenging work, they always found me and I love it. I was in the remittance department, and the only problem I came across was the ability to leave the department in order to learn within the overall company. I only left the company because I relocated, and I have regretted leaving every day since.
Pros
Cons
Lack of opportunity to grow outside my department
Precertification Coordinator
Pre-Certification Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 16, 2017
This employer has closed the Birmingham location, I was laid off from this company. This business has closed the Birmingham location, the main office is in Maine.
Pros
well compensated
Cons
lay offs
Great job culture and work life balance.
Software and Data QA Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2017
Flexible working hours. More focussed on getting the job done rather than the hours put in.
Learnt to set up successful QA teams from ground up, both onshore and offshore, managing the teams and daily QA activities both in the Agile and Waterfall SDLCs, introducing ongoing improvements to improve the quality of the products.
Hardest part of the job was to meet the deliverables and deadlines and maintaining the quality while working with limited QA resources.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the work culture, flexibility to work from home and getting to learn new things everyday.
Schulded Doctor's Appointments for Clients
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2017
Working with clients to schedule and reschedule medical appointment's.
Working off of two computer screens, learning how to multitask.
Management is great, but too many people who try's to micromanage.
Pros
great breaks
Cons
no benifits
Temporary Position
Provider Enrollment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MADecember 2, 2016
It was a great transition job that I enjoyed very much and nothing to complain. Too bad it was just a contract project that I knew the dateline would come one day and I had to move on to another permanent one.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
temp position
Great culture
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2016
Great culture and benefits.The company offers nice facilities, and co-workers are friendly and helpful. However, it is difficult to balance work and life sometimes due to frequent travels.
Great group of people
Staff Engineer - Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2016
Learned a lot about business operations. Great group of people to work with. Spend 10 years in both account and development roles. Business leaders are smart and worked hard.
Not Sure How to Put This
Senior Client Implementation Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2016
There are two floors at the Ponce City Market office. 98% of the top floor are whites and 98% of the bottom floor is black. You be the judge.
Pros
Casual work enviroment
Cons
Too many to list
fun workplace
Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2016
One big focus on our team over the past year has been collaboration. A responsive workflow requires all sorts of disciplines and the closer we can integrate UI designers, front-end developers and UX, the better the end product will ultimately be. In the spirit of, "the sum is greater than its parts" here's no better way to think of solutions than to get an extra pair of eyes on it.
Mediocre
Sr. Client Implementation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 24, 2016
It's an ok place for a first time job. I would not recommend this company for a minority who takes their career serious and would like true advancement.
Good Company
Clinical Client Innovation Associate (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 22, 2016
This is a great fast paced company. They offer a lot of benefits and opportunities to learn. I think its a great platform to get into the healthcare technology field.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Management needs better employee development training
productive workplace
Front end Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 19, 2016
I wish I could give you a "typical day" but honestly it was just all about getting work done, roughly 40 hours a week with crunch time as needed. Junior developers are both gifted and cursed in that regard: they do what they're assigned.
Corporation Posing as Startup
Senior Client Implementation Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 17, 2016
athenahealth is a middle of the road kind of company - there are much better and far worse places to work. During NHO they really overhype the advancement opportunities that will be available to you. I mean, you can "advance", but they are almost always lateral moves...no ladder climbing here. Also, their pay is a slap in the face for what you're expected to do. I'm simply putting in my time for the experience, but have been seeking employment elsewhere since I started. For the most part, the employees are pretty cool and the atmosphere is very laid back, tech startup-y. We have monthly Happy Hours where beer is served and sometimes the beer cart will come around just because. Lots of free lunches because we're always in the weeds and they try to show appreciation. Management is a joke. They're really just a middle man between you and the higher ups. They'll hear your grievances and that's about it. Also, be prepared to shuck and jive and kiss a lot of a s s if you want to advance at all - laterally or upward. We were told week 1 it's about your brand - before all else.
Pros
Atmosphere, Travel, and Freebies
Cons
Insurance, Pay, and Advancement
Used to love the place
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandAugust 29, 2016
Then they expect you to do three jobs and get paid for one and when you get run down management dont care about you I am actively looking for a new job and can't believe they are allowed to have managers like that
It's a really fun emviorment
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAAugust 21, 2016
Everyone at the work place is really chill and of productive at the same time. There's dogs all over the building and that is a good thing, besides all that the work they have me doing is pretty simple stuff, inventory,computer re image,and customer interaction.
Great to get started
Client Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 13, 2016
Its an okay company if you want to get started just be careful of some of the managers as they tend to micro manage and if they feel you are a threat they will do anything to get you out.
Training clients
Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 12, 2016
train clients via phone and company software
Hardest part is making sure the client understands the process
People at the company are amazing.

Most enjoyable part is completing a project on time

Excellent place to work and the training is great

Your managers are always willing to help and assist in your projects
Pros
trips
Cons
have none
Productive and intreesting place to work
Certified Nurse Aide/HHA (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CTJuly 23, 2016
Typical day at work varies there are 8 hour cases or more than one case patient at a time
I serve patients in the home helping them with ADL's or Hospice.
culture
Remittance and Image Rep (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAJuly 14, 2016
Athenahealth had a very fun way of showing how different cultures were and working with people from different backgrounds.
Pros
yearly bonus
Cons
short breaks
The management was run great!
Remittance Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAJuly 10, 2016
Athena Health is one of the best companies to work for in Boston. The culture, the people, and the vision are all things that I would endorse in this company. Unfortunately, due to a necessary business decision, I have been laid off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at athenahealth. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime