ATHENE Employee Reviews

Guessing game
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 14, 2017
You will be told one thing and then it will be switched to something else. There are some awesome people who work there. But there are also some very dreadful managers. They aren't very clear on what they want from their reps and when you don't achieve it they will make you feel bad for it.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
The people who are in charge
Violent Environment
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 29, 2017
Violent culture. Be prepared for yelling matches in meetings. Simply put do not work here unless you literally cannot pay the bills.
Go into a meeting and yell at each other over who can do what.
Be told what do by a supervisor then get yelled at for doing it by someone else. It's a literal zoo.
Pros
Cons
It is in existence
sucks
Senior Finance Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 6, 2017
Everyone has goals; if nothing else, to obtain the physical necessities of life: food, water and whatever clothing and shelter are made necessary by the climate. But the leisured aristocrat obtains these things without effort. Hence his boredom and demoralization.
Athene USA
ADMIN ASST OF IT (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 25, 2017
Great place to work with good benefits, great team work, and a lot of fun employee events. They focus on your career advancement and show an interest in work and personal life balance.
Fun and professional work place
Post Issue Processor (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 31, 2017
Love my time at Athene. Very professional and does everything to help our customers. Also has a lot of employee engagement activities/events. Great place to work!
oddest environment work in
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 18, 2017
oddest environment I've ever tried to work in; atmosphere dictates extreme reluctance to change regardless of the laws that require the changes, a lot of good intentions with actions much like beating your head against a cinder block wall.
Financial Analyst
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 12, 2017
Worked on the FP&A team creating presentations and analyzing investment data. In addition, worked on plans and quarterly forcasts on both STAT and GAAP ledgers.
Just no
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 4, 2017
If you work in a dofferent deart other than their call center then yes this is a great job. Call center, no. You will get yelled at, your self esteem woll get destroyed. And managmeent will not assost you. Half they time they are no where to be found. Also do not plan on missing any work or taking care of your kids. You can miss 6 days unplanned and after that, you will lose your job.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
Do not get me started
Positive Internship Experience
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 9, 2016
I preface this review by stating I worked in the marketing department and can only speak for my experience in that department.

Management is supportive and wants to ensure you get the most out of your internship. I was able to explore my interests and have developed some great skills that I'll be able to carry with me going forward. The one caveat is that you have to be proactive and engaged to ensure you get the most out of the experience.
Pros
Co-workers are great, welcoming environment, nice campus
Cons
Limited opportunity to turn internship into full-time gig
Somewhat positive experience
Senior Suitability Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 9, 2016
I enjoyed working for Athene, however the management was not well put together and we often worked multiple hours of overtime in the new business department.

Want to know more about ATHENE?

Ask a question
Enjoyable Place to work
Executive Assistant - Finance & Tax (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 28, 2016
My days were busy at times but I would say about 80% of the time I had little to do. the people are wonderful to work with, I just needed to look for something more dependable and a job that would keep me more involved and engaged 100% of the time.
Pros
cafeteria and workout facility
Cons
position was not satisfying
Athene
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 19, 2016
The training was 3 weeks and after training they don't help you. They expect you to learn everything in 3 weeks. If you asked ?'s you would get a stared down. The company picks and choose who they want to work there. I thought I really liked at first then I was very disappointed by the end results. The management wasn't as good and my manager didn't seem to like me. I would be careful if you choose to work for them.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not long enough lunches
Reliable place to work
Annuity Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 5, 2016
Fast paced work environment where the top priority is the customer and their investment experience. Management can be difficult.
Great place with great people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 29, 2016
Athene is a wonderful place to work and has a lot of work to be done! The building is beautiful and people are great to work with.
"A lot of promise"
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 15, 2016
...is what everyone thinks when they start at Athene. But the company doesn't live up to that potential.

The owners are intent on making a lot of money for their investors - the overseas funds that have poured money into Athene, and the well-paid executives who have already bought their stock (most employees don't get the opportunity to buy in). They are not thinking in the long term.

Leaders in some departments don't even live in Des Moines. They are completely disconnected from their employees. There is no investment in training and no commitment to the people. Starting at Athene, you have no idea where you'll be in five years, no one willing to invest in you, and no one in upper management with any ideas past reshuffling the corporate structure again in the hopes that a year or two down the road they'll be ready to actually do something.

This company has a lot of promise. And it always will, right up until the day the works gum up entirely. Until then, good pay and benefits.

I have never felt more like merely a "human resource."
excellent place to work
New Business Suitability Representative (Current Employee) –  west des moinesSeptember 1, 2015
beautiful building, wonderful environment, supportive leadership. room for advancement. great training. high standards. great role models. low pay.
Pros
supportive leadership, flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Poor leadership and poor pay
New Business Rep (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 1, 2015
I could list a huge amount of reasons not to work for Athene. Specifically New Business. The pay is below average, they are understaffed, have no leadership, bad communication. I was there over a year and finally found a much better opportunity.

Expect mandatory overtime with very short notice with little to no recognition. I would say this is the worst insurance company to work for in Des Moines
Athene purchased a smaller company with many long-term employees. Half the business was sold and a large number are being let go.
Death Match Team Member (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 30, 2015
I am the only person on my team so there is autonomy that I really appreciate.

I work with up to 6 programs at a time to work on my tasks which is determining if a deseased client that the Social Security Administration is ours really is. Then I determine if we have filed a death claim yet.

Because my department is being oursourced, I have had 4 supervisors in the last 18 months. They all are different but the last 2 understand how I work as an employee so they have been great.
Growing company!
Recruiting (Current Employee) –  West Des MoinesDecember 16, 2014
Great people, awesome challenges and rewarding opportunities. Flexible work environment with plenty of projects where I feel I'm making an impact to the company.
Growing company with great culture (and an onsite Starbucks!)
HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 16, 2014
I started with Athene in January and absolutely love the company! If you like a fast paced environment then Athene is the place for you.

Not only are the benefits excellent (401k match, annual bonus, paid holidays, etc) but there are a ton of onsite perks including Starbucks, fitness center (opened 24-7), casual Friday, ergonomic desks, onsite cafeteria, etc.

I would definitely recommend Athene!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ATHENE. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7