Athletics Employee Reviews

Fast growing community college working with close with strictly professors for the first 18 years, then Athletics for 8 years.
Assistant to the Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJuly 10, 2013
Working at NCC was a very enjoyable experience in my life ... 25 years of my life!

From graduating with an Associates in Secretarial Science in 1979 then obtaining a full time position in 1980, employed as a faculty secretary, I felt my life was very wonderful, I could not be happier.

Working with very intelligent people from all departments such as mathematics, engineering, physics, sciences, chemistry, hotel restaurant and accounting (just to name a few), typing tests and handouts and the world of knowledge at hand - life could not get better! Life was excellent!

Then after 18 years of being a Faculty Secretary, I have the fortunate opportunity to transfer to the Athletics Department. This experience I will never forget. I was the assistant to the athletic director and enjoyed every aspects of running this department.

I was very student oriented throughout my time at the college and when in Athletics I was very supportive of all the athletes and the sports they played (12 in all) including Spring/Fall Baseball, Wrestling, Softball, Ice Hockey, Girls/Boys Basketball, Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Bowling, and Girls Volleyball. These were just the Intercollegiate Sports, we also provided Extramural and Intramural sports.

I also attended about 90% of home contests, as many as possible away contests and EVERY State tournament we achieved, sometimes hosting these tournaments and sometimes travelling as far as Pittsburgh.

The hardest part of my job was to make sure that EVERY contest went off without a glich.

~Home contests included setting up a mutual time/date for the game with
  more... other colleges, getting officials/medical trainer/equipment attendances, scorekeepers and payment for all those involved. ~Away contests included rental vans and getting meal money for all student athletes.
~State tournaments included hotel accomodations and transportation.

I have been very blessed for the 25 years at Northampton Community College, then retired after my rein due to caring for an illing mother.
Pros
i felt like i did not have a "job" but "went to school everyday" ... i love schooling!
Cons
after 25 years, the college became less "student oriented" and more like a business, very dissappointing!
Exciting environment performing acrobatic stunts.
Cheerleader/Stunter (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 9, 2015
As a university of Oregon cheerleader, I would train roughly 4 hours a day at the athletic facilities, incorporating both weight training and stunting practice. I learned a lot about teamwork and being patient when tensions rise, especially on a team that has to perform difficult tasks in performance on a routine basis. There are always things that can be better with management but I don't ever speak poorly about my leaders, they do the best with what they can and a lot of what they do for our team goes without being seen. My coworkers came from various different backgrounds and I've found that there is always something useful that can be learned from other people's experience. The hardest part of my time as a cheerleader for me was the social anxiety of performing difficult stunts for hundreds of people in a gym and thousands in a stadium. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to experience all the action of college football from the prime vantage point and getting to see behind the scenes of what goes on and train in the finest college facilities there are.
Fun workplace with great coworkers and many activities for children
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Freeport, New YorkFebruary 26, 2014
As a camp counselor, I had three assistants to help me. One was an asisstant and two were CITs or counselors in training. I worked with all the different age groups (3 years old to 13 years old) teaching them how to play a variety of sports. We have basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, and many other sports.
During the mornings I would have different age groups at different times. After lunch I had intramurals, where the older children got to compete in different sports. During intramurals I would have about 10 groups. I was new at the camp but I was very trusted by my supervisor, so I coordinated where all our athletic staff had to be. At each game there needed to be a ref. I would make sure everyone was doing their job and if needed I wold help referee a game.
I enjoy working at my camp very much. I have always been an athletic person, so being at camp teaching sports is a great fit for my summer job.
Sporting and Competitive
Director of Intramural Soccer Tournament (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAMarch 16, 2014
The Intramural Department is vested with the responsibility of providing students, who could not make it into their respective sports school teams, a chance to play in an amateur yet competitive level. This gives them a chance enjoy playing the sports they love despite not being good enough to get into the school team. As a director of the soccer league, I managed to structure a league with 14 teams and around 200 players. My staff and I would have to set up the necessary equipment and ensure the smooth running of the matches. We would also have to be referees for the games. On top of this, we maintained a comprehensive website that had the fixtures of the matches, the roster for all the teams, the top scorers and assists, as well as the league table providing the team's rankings and points.
Amherst Men's Swimming and Swim Lessons
Amherst College Men's Swim Team (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 14, 2014
Being part of the Amherst College Men's Swim Team was a great experience that taught me about striving for individual success to benefit the whole team. Participating on the team, I also learned how to become a leader through both action and example. With so much time devoted to the team, time management, efficiency, and hard work were necessities to keep up schoolwork and athletics. Another aspect of the team was teaching swimming lessons to children from the surrounding community. This was a special part because knowing how to swim is an important skill for people, especially young children, to have, and improvements could be seen in the kids throughout the lesson period.
AAA Conference
Commissioner AAA Conference (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 31, 2014
I built a program that teaches fitnessness for life. It also so jumpstarts students in to basketball at a high level. We teach basketball the right way. Providing quality student athletes for the next level.
Certified educator in fitnessgram instructor with CPR/AED certified.
Pros
help over 12 schools, and hundreds of students
Cons
no pay
Great way to meet people
Swimmer (Current Employee) –  Gannon UniversityMarch 17, 2015
As a swimmer at Gannon University I have met many different people and learned how to balance my time as a student athlete. It requires me to disciple myself so that I am able to get my assignments done on time. It has also taught me how to get along with people and how to work as a team.
Varsity Football for Kenyon College
Offensive Line (Former Employee) –  Gambier, OHFebruary 27, 2013
Allowed me as an individual to grow independently as well as work well on a team. I learned the values of a group effort and participation. It also helped me learn how to make the necessary sacrifices for a team.
Fun and rewarding environment
Assistant Coach for CYO (Former Employee) –  Renton, WASeptember 3, 2014
I would help coach the younger players and teach them the fundamentals of volleyball and how to play the game. The hardest part was when they did not understand something but it was rewarding when the players finally learned how to play.
Good experience builder
7th Grade Girls Head Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Riverton, WYMarch 17, 2012
Challenging job and a good opportunity for building the experience and skills highly needed in the workforce (stress management, leading a group of people, etc.)
Athletics is a fun environment
Volunteer Wrestling Coach (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 15, 2015
Volunteer only, I come in to show wrestling moves when I am asked and/or when I can. I enjoy teaching wrestling with the young wrestlers
its a college
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNFebruary 6, 2015
working for a college is a short and quick paced job. athletics is ever changing. do your research about the area first. Martin is a very small town
Productive and Rewarding
Private Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 7, 2014
I ran my own business by placing an ad to become a personal trainer. I work closely with my clients doing what I loved.
Very fun
Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 6, 2015
A very fun first job. You get to interact with athletes and athletic officials and you are able to feel like you are a part of the team.
Exciting and upbeat
Athlete (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMay 5, 2014
Enjoyed what I did every day. Had some of the best times with my friends while being a college athlete.
Productive and fun workplace
Member, Division II Men's Basketball Team (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne ,NYDecember 20, 2013
Good place to work learn how to be patient. co-workers are very enjoyable
enjoyable job while in school
Issue Room Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 31, 2012
Student employment while in school. Worked with people, project solving; worked cleaning gyms and athletic equipment.
Pros
worked my own schedule
filing documents
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 25, 2014
Putting any paperwork together for hockey athletes and making sure they are in alphabetical order.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long breaks
I play Lacrosse
Member of Women's Varsity Lacrosse Team (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2014
I currently play lacrosse for my college. I have been a member of this team since I started college as a freshman.
love
Leadership Role (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 9, 2012
Helped me get to everywhere I would have never gone. best time of my life
Pros
everything

4.3