ATK

ATK Employer Reviews

Independence
Electrician A (Current Employee), IndependenceAugust 10, 2014
Cons: inexperienced engineering and poor management (management by intimidation)
Hired in as a PLC tech Have not even seen a program for PLC,s yet that was a year ago. Management so far disconnected they have no clue nor appear to care . If you hire on with this company forget about seeing your family. 12 hour days with mandatory overtime. old out dated technology. Machines from 1940 that they have tried to retro fit with very little – more... success. Engineering team with no skills and over worked. I would suggest to keep looking as there is no future here. I would like to see people get hired. They do need people as they are understaffed. and thats the way they like to run. But I hate to see people taken advantage of. – less
Iwas encouraged to develop many skill levels
Engineering Technician 8 (Former Employee), Brigham City, UTJuly 28, 2014
Pros: excellant benits and good advancement opportunities.
Cons: the driving distance was very far.
T his was a very unique place to work. It was exciting to work for a company that made solid rocket motors.
Productive enviroment
Lead Warehouse Operator (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: healthcare
Good place to work ...I learned about organizing. Managment is ok.
ATK
Inspector/ Packer (Current Employee), Independence, MOJune 29, 2014
Poor Management, they put so many jobs on you that youcan hardly keep up. Get lay off notice only to find out there keeping us. Do not recommend.
High security work place
Production Technician (Current Employee), Clearfield, UTJune 24, 2014
Cons: temperary position.
I was hired on as a temporary employee, they said they would hire me full time after a month. It has been three months since I started and I am still a temp. The management has a hard time communicating with production so I have had hardly any work to do for the past few weeks.
Loved working at ATK
Electrical Engineer I (Former Employee), WVJune 16, 2014
A typical day at work was using Microsoft Word for generating documents, spreadsheets, using p-spice for drawing circuits, going into the lab and machine shop to build prototypes. The hardest part of the job was having to travel and do overtime. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
A horrible place to spend your life, just like shawshank prison
non-exempt hourly labor support (Former Employee), Independence, moJune 13, 2014
Pros: fair wages and benefits
Cons: horrible management and working conditions
Hot in the summer, drafty sometimes in the winter. alot of co-workers are fun to work with and do a great job. management is non-existant, except maybe if they are out to get someone, they really are not sincere about safety or the welfare of their employees. typical corporate mentality, hire and forget about you and then fire you.the most enjoyable – more... part of the job is going home from this place. there is still the good old boy system, I hope the union straightens management out for the sake of their employees. the policies there are whatever they feel like doing at the moment and changes without notifying employees. the hand book they give you is about worthless.the pay and benefits still are not bad. I know its a factory but the locker rooms and cafeterias are nasty. birds fly around in some of the cafeterias.A handful of the managers constantly want their buttocks kissed, well lets not go there, you know where I am going with that, you always run into a few. Not as many opportunities as there used to be. The place has really went downhill since about 2010. – less
Great benefits and advancement opportunities.
Technician C (Former Employee), Independence, MOApril 30, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: constant negativity
This is a very good paying job with great benefits but the negativity and low morale made for really long days and an overall terrible work environment.
Credit Supervisor (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSApril 18, 2014
Arrive at 7am. Leave at 6pm. Great place to work. Enjoy co-workers and management. Great team.
I liked working at ATK
CNC Machinist (Former Employee), Clearfield, UTApril 3, 2014
Pros: pretty good pay and benefits
Cons: politics
I enjoyed working at ATK. The project i was able to be involved in was nice and changeling. I would like to work where there is more challenge and more opportunity for advancement. Basically on a day to day duties i would load 500 pound tooling and precisely position them to run the preset program set to cut the desired part. Also there was alot of – more... cleaning and upkeep of the machines. I was also in charge of all manual moves that any other machinist wanted to do. Basically i was there for insurance of the machine. – less
Able to work on cutting edge technology.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Brigham City, UTMarch 13, 2014
Pros: technical challenge of projects.
Cons: workforce instability
A typical day at work entailed multi-tasking many projects, many of which were quite interesting from a technical standpoint.

The management became quite large due to the massive reduction in force. Many in the engineering field were very talented and capable. Other fields seemed to be quite reasonable folks.

Overall, my coworkers were great and they – more... were the most difficult in leaving.

The hardest part of my job was the program schedule, which was optimistic at best.

The most enjoyable was the sense of accomplishment with each rocket motor test! – less
great work environment
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 6, 2014
great working environment. Management was easy to work with. Just an overall great career.
70's style of Management
Snr Manager (Former Employee), WVFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: leadership
ATK is still in the mindset of the good ole boys club. It is typical to have immediate family members, high school buddies, etc. reporting to the plant manager. Moving forward to ensure company is lean with empowered workforce to make them more competitive just doesn't exist in the ATK culture supported by the good ole boys club style management. "Good – more... Outsiders" only last about up to 3 years before resigning due to the culture within the facility. If corporate ATK would actually manage their sites, pay attention to employee concerns and totally enforce and demand the elimination of the good ole boy mentality; ATK would be a great place to work for everybody, not just family members and cronies. – less
Total Good Ole Boy Network
Operations (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: 9/80 work schedule
Cons: poor management and no good future business.
This ATK office is a total disaster. The people who run the show here have been there for 30+ years and are stuck in 1985. There is no innovation and upper management is incompetent. In fact, incompetent is an understatement and doesn't do my description justice. Program Management is clueless and corrupt, these programs are profitable because of shady – more... shell games and the only way to get promoted here is to be related to someone or know some political connection. The only developmental program was mismanaged and micromanaged to the point that no one was confident to make a decision. Plus if you have worked here for less than 20 years and you come up with an idea you will be squashed like a bug. Avoid this place like the plague. – less
amazing place to work and treat employees great
Material Handler/Mechanical Adjuster (Current Employee), Anoka, MNJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and benifits
Cons: 12 hr over night shift hard on family
been an amazing place to work and has taught me many different skills. also has increased my ability and enjoyment for hunting and shooting for sport. met and work with tons of great people in a large range of ages.
ATK in Clearwater is a sinking ship
Engineer (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLSeptember 12, 2013
The management is clueless about the future progress. ATK in Clearwater does not have good core products. They rely on sustainment contracts for outdated technologies. They have only three products in Clearwater; two about to be replaced by the competitors and one in development but in serious mess. ATK tries to spread contract work across the entire – more... country to the point when even small tasks become so complicated and hard to finish because somebody always did not get the memo.

The management did not invest into R&D for years, so over the last two decades they were loosing all the markets they had. Most engineers in Clearwater do system engineering; almost no research here which is good if you do everything at snail pace. Good number of employees do almost nothing all day long. There is no accountability, and almost everyone mentions lay offs coming soon.

When dealing with ATK people everything is fine as long as you do not go against the grains. If you point out something can be improved and have clear plan how to do so, you automatically become an enemy. There is no ear for constructive criticism.

Every older employee sees you as a threat. They will yell at yoi in order to push their agendas. The worst IT services ever.

Very unhealthy engineering environment with people even yelling at teammates. Constant fear of lay offs makes people angry and very territorial. You are never paid for overtime work neither fairly awarded for accomplishments. Every year ATK downsize by about 10 employees, and you are just wondering if you are the next to be laid off. Just last week they laid off 19 employees. In the last 3 years they shrunk by 25% from 200 to 160 employees in total, and more lay offs are coming soon. They are also firing people for smallest reasons they can think of.

Avoid ATK in Clearwater because for years this place will be bad.
I would not recommend this company to a friend. – less

August 5, 2014

I wrote this review almost a year ago. ATK laid more people off this year, too. No hiring here. I looked for a job somewhere else and would need to take salary cut if I wanted to stay in Tampa Bay. So, I do not have anywhere to go, but with the first real opportunity I am out of here. If I move somewhere else, it would affect my family, so I am staying at ATK for now. Employees stay here because of pension benefits they get beside 401K match. Most employees have been here for several decades. Now, most engineers have something to do for several weeks, a month at best, then they are on overcharge number for a week or two, and the cycle repeats. No work stability. Everyone works at the slowest pace possible in order to extend their stay here. I finish my task in 2 days and the rest of the week I pretend to work. It feels like free money anyway :). So many smart azzez among managers with ideas that go nowhere. It looks like managers are just trying to be loud and keep talking like never before. Some folks are busy.

ATK is a good company to work for and provides opportunities to learn and grow.
Technical Program Manager (Former Employee), UTSeptember 5, 2013
A typical day would include a number of meetings followed by working close with the technical team to resolve issues and test.
I loved working for this company. Great support from Management.
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: well structured
Cons: no complaints
ATK/Composites is an aerospace company. I loved working with this company. Fast paced, well structured. Great teamwork with co-workers and great support from management.
I left this company due to family relocating from South San Diego to Escondido, CA.
Fast paced production work
Production Expediter Senior (Former Employee), Brigham City, UTAugust 17, 2013
Pros: learning the entire plant and seeing a part of history
Cons: long commute
Day at work-
6:00 am Status up dates on work proceeding on line.
Up date computer on status of work. Attend meetings.
Start to issue shop travelsers to the line and order material to each area. Then ship parts to next locations on plant.
Lunch-
Check material has arrived to each work station. Ensure all material is available to start work next morning. – more... If any shortages are discovered Notify schedulers of shorages. Check to see why or expidite material in.
Check on experation dates to make sure material is current and not expired. Check tooling to make sure calibration and recycle date are current.

Learned- several new computer programs includeing impressa,IMO system,MRLX ordering,MRLE ordering raw materials / correct programs MRIM ordering supplies

Management- was very detail oriented.

Co-workers are great, Need to work with every one to get the job done.

Hardest part of the job is makeing sure all areas have their material, parts and tooling to start work.

Enjoyalble part of the job was being able to help the workers make their job easier and see the product finished and shipped. – less
Productive and good learning experiance.
Powder Hauler (Former Employee), Independence, MOAugust 13, 2013
Pros: chance of advancement and benefits
Cons: layoffs and temps
Worked in a warehouse with no A/C or heat. Learned how to pack and weigh bullets. Work a fast paced production line. Learned how to use a manual forklift.

1 2 3

About ATK

Space is not the final frontier for Alliant Techsystems (ATK), as long as its aerospace/defense offerings are paving new paths. – Read more