Atkins Employee Reviews

Tech Aide II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2015
Its a good company to work for you will learn a lot they care about your well being, you have to monitor your emails a lot because there is always something going on
Very high pace environmentn team work oriented
Certified Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2015
very high volume of calls
multitasking
good teamwork
great experience
friendly environment
not always fun when handling many different things at once
Bad working conditions. Worth it if your trying to make some quick money.
Traffic Control Operator I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2015
Horrible work environment. The high turnover rate is due to very poor management. Management doesn't care about the workers. Underpaid and very stressful and toxic environment. I have never seen so many different people leave a job in such a short period of time. No opportunity for advancement. So many flaws, just wished the State of Georgia saw the type of contractor they had operating their facility.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Micromanagement, Unorganized management, Benefits promised are unfulfilled, Stressful work environment, for the amount of work pay isn't fair.
Atkins Good mid-sized engineering firm.
Senior Analyst - Corporate CAD Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2015
Pretty good compensation, serious company. I worked with a good group of people.. My direct management was not great, no leadership, the manager was suspicious if employees were discussing work, or projects, because he was insecure in his knowledge of his job and a poor manager. He made it miserable for us, until the company finally realized the issue and terminated him.

Other than that, they tried to take care of their employees and paid average. I do not really know how Atkins is as a company since much of the upper management has changed since I was there.
innovative and forward thinking
Telecommunications Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 3, 2015
Atkins is a highly respected, global Engineering Consultancy, with every Engineering discipline offered to clients.

Atkins is a very large , global firm with a vast number of opportunities available to job seekers and employees alike.

The culture is forward thinking, fast moving, future focused with sustainability at it's core.

The working environment is fast paced and demanding with innovation at it's motivating factor. It can be challenging to be on the "bleeding-edge" of technology all of the time. However, a finer IT Department Staff and Managers could not be asked for. They are a great group, smart, energetic and engaging.

It's a great place to work!
Pros
Opportunity, latest and greatest technology
Cons
constant change can be difficult to adjust to
horrible place
Administrative (Former Employee) –  texasSeptember 2, 2015
Would not recommend this company to anyone. Upper management isn't concerned about the employees. Most of the long time employees were laid off and the ones that weren't let go left on their own. Total dysfunction throughout the company.
Pros
Cons
everything
Lawn Tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 5, 2015
Busy in warm weather and no work and or not enough in the winter, need to work on why the turn over rate is so high, pleasant people to work with, wages are not comparable to other places like Atkins
Pros
co workers
Cons
underpaid not enough employees
Productive Place to work
Sr. Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaJuly 6, 2015
Productive place to work, great work ethic and very multicultural. I am looking for personal growth where I can excel and advance in a company.
Buyout
Sr. Principal (Former Employee) –  Moss Point, MSJune 13, 2015
Atkins can not be measured by the same mistakes of ABB concerning HOE except not doing the proper investigation of company history. Investments of this magnitude require much more than speculation based upon dinner talks. The world has too many want a be lap dogs that lack vision and creativeness. Companies need at least one or two visionaries to help keep the edge. The problem is a company is made of teams of individuals, each with strong and weak talents not solo acts. Without them we only copy, paste and lie to our selfs in the mirror of achievement. Beware the solo of copy.
Pros
Employees individual achievement abilities.
Cons
Lack of management communication and interface
Fine starter job
Traffic Operator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2015
This job is ok for a stepping stone into other jobs, however, there is no room for advancement. Very high turnover rate. Management does not know what they are doing. Great job for college students.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no advancement, unequal playing field
Good workplace/atmosphere and people. Management is mediocre.
Structural Analysis Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAApril 22, 2015
- The company is UK-owned. Small office in the US (~40-50 people) that does structural/stress engineering.
- Good work/life balance, atmosphere, and overall great people.
- Speaking of Management, the Project Managers were great. However, the senior engineers were who ran the place. Unfortunately, they had their own group/club together in the workplace and if you didn't make the right impression with them, you won't move up in the company.
- There was a huge disconnect with the HQ in the UK and the US office
Great company
Senior Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 27, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

Grew professionally. Great staff, Excellent experience.
Instrument Technician (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 30, 2014
While working at Atkins I was able to better my experience with Instrumentation, PLC's and the entire oil production process.
Best place to learn consulting
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2014
one of the best consulting company.
colleges are very friendly.
works are so sophisticated but fun.

However some times work load is too high to balance with life
Pros
good benefit. various type of works. good cultures
Cons
too much work and supervisor are sort of bossy
N/a
ITS Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 27, 2014
Great place to work for and average day includes driving to the
jobsite and following up with the contractor about there everyday
operation.
I learned to have excellent communication with the everyone.
I never on occasion worked with my co-workers cause we have
different task.
The hardest part of my job is not knowing the next move after completing a project.
I enjoyed getting to know all sorts of people.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Small office, nice people
Exec Asst/Office Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 21, 2014
Quiet office with nice people. Started as an executive assistant to Sr. VP but ended up being the receptionist as the office continued to have lay-offs.
Pros
nice people
Cons
always worried about getting billable work.
Toxic Environment
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 15, 2014
Echo other comments about management in Central Texas, particularly in NEPA/planning area. Some excellent individuals, but attrition through layoffs and defections is gutting capabilities while leaving little or no institutional memory of former quality controls. Mid-level management seems to make decisions based on personal grudges more than long-term vision, leaving an extremely unsettled group. Applicants would do well to stay clear until company has decided on a long term vision, after multiple re-orgs in a very short period of time.
Pros
opportunities in large transportation and infrastructure projects.
Cons
serious instability.
Productive and fun working place
SR. PROGRAM ASSSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 24, 2014
Enjoyed the option to choose my work hours; Management is easy to work with, co-workers are friendly, HR is knowledgeable and helpful, great location
You're just a number, getting too corporate
Environmental Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2014
There is NO job security in this company unless you are highly billable. There is no heart or loyalty from the company, you are just a number. They have been laying people off that have been with company (or company they acquired) forever. It's just sad.

Work /life balance is ok as long as you made your numbers you can have some flexibility. They about average to below average and getting annual raises is tough. Even though I had a superior annual review I got the same pitiful raise as everyone else.

They are a huge international firm so you can get some international experience unless you work in the Atkins North America division, then you're stuck.

I also worked with a bunch of duds in my group that I could never get to go do anything fun outside of work so that didn't help.
Cons
no loyalty, layoffs
Typical day at work
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
For the last several years I have worked part time (full time before that). I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I would move and rearrange offices (furniture), repair furniture, Make appointments for vehicle fleet to be repaired. Every afternoon I would spend the last few hours in the mail room dealing with incoming and outgoing mail.