Atkins

Atkins Employer Reviews

The opportunities with this company are endless. Challenging and rewarding!
Technical Coordinator / Project Management (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 1, 2012
I was so fortunate to have worked for this company. It allowed me opportunities I never would have had with other companies. The projects were some of the largest in the country, exciting and dynamic.
Great place to work, good people.
Proposal Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 25, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: no communication between management and employees
I enjoyed working for Atkins Global and my co-workers were the best. I was there for a total of 16 years and learned a lot. Not much room for advancement though and sometimes management did not communicate well with their employees.
Productive, educational
Work Experience (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGAugust 26, 2014
Pros: long lunch frees
Cons: long hours
I worked in several departments, including Highways and Transportation, the Environmental Consultancy Team and Human Resources, of which I found the latter most useful in terms of developing my confidence and improving my communication skills when talking to a variety of people of different ages. In HR I also took phone calls, listened to telephone – more... interviews, planned interview timetables and organised interview preparation packs. The most enjoyable was the Environmental Consultancy Team, where I studied the environmental issues related to and geochemistry affecting, the building of new houses on an old industrial site in my hometown. Experiencing a week of teamwork and carrying out this type of work in this industry was very valuable. – less
Consultant for LNG Terminal Design and Construction
WS Atkins Representative, Associate (Former Employee), Milano, LOMAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches, air fly, accommodation, company car, expatriate packages
Checking and calculation, managing and checking coopration with all branches in international environment, Italian, France, Britons, Polish, German
productive
technician (Former Employee), southeastAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lauches
Cons: long hours
Work. For. Such. A. Company. Would. very good. I. would also. consider. the pay one. would. be getting
Getting worse and worse
Senior Engineer (Current Employee), West Midlands, ENGJuly 23, 2014
Pros: get to work on interesting and widely varied schemes, part of a great team
Cons: terrible management, lack of planning / direction and very poor communication internally
There are some great engineers at Atkins, and some fabulous projects. But most of this happens despite, not because of, the management.

Current culture in the Water and Environment business is a strong drive toward the bottom line with no thought for ensuring that the people (who are the firm's main asset) are happy or engaged.

Salary reviews have – more... been repeatedly cancelled, additional working hours are being introduced (got sent a letter which basically told me to sign a new contract or I'd be sacked without any real justification why), there are constant reductions in real benefits - the pensions situation is particularly poor, and lip service is paid to employee welfare... I could go on.

The IT is awful.

Over the twenty years since I started the company has become totally driven by process and procedure with no local managers even at associate or business director level seeming able to make decisions. Communication is dreadful - lots of irrelevant information and virtually no specifics. In the recent redundancies round most of the letters sent out had errors in them!

I would not work for Atkins W&E again and couldn't recommend them as an employer. – less
Biggest Challenge
IS Director Middle East (Current Employee), Dubai, DUJuly 14, 2014
This is the biggest challenge of my career. This job has given me a chance to lead an IS transformation project for an important employer with global reach.
Good working environment with great people.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Dubai, DUJune 17, 2014
I worked on the Kazan Tower in Russia and assisted with the designing of the following:

Designing domestic hot and cold water supply systems
Designing drainage pipe systems
Pump selection for the supply water
Designing OA AHU systems
Selection of OA AHU units
excellent colleagues,varied workload
Verification Tester on the District Line (Current Employee), London EnglandMay 20, 2014
complete paperwork as required,go to worksite meet rest of team,I give a short briefing of work to be completed.

The team I work with varies and I enjoy meeting and working with new people.
I am left alone to get on with my work,management rarely visit site.
Good working environment
Aerospace Intern (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAMay 20, 2014
Its going to be a busy day, but enjoyable.
Working with different cultures and getting work done within the time limit is accelerating.
overall a good company
Site Engineer (Current Employee), country wideMarch 21, 2014
Pros: lunch and dinner provided if lodging
Cons: more office based
a typical day involves an early start with quite a bit of travel.
the day usually ends up with shift reports and site diarys being uploaded
Lovely people, great work
Transaction Assistant (Former Employee), UKMarch 16, 2014
I worked for this company for almost 10 years in various administration roles. Atkins design and complete building, road and rail projects all over the World.
Stressful job where you had to learn how to prioitise workload.
MODERN HOUSING SOLUTIONS - Zone Coordinator (Former Employee), Thetford, NorfolkFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: free tea/coffee.
Cons: lot of pressure when i was handed the workload of the two offices that closed.
Atkins was the company I started with 10 years ago and cannot fault at all. 8 years ago the Prime Contract was won by Modern Housing Solutions so new contract started with them.
The last 8 years have been a rollercoaster ride. Learnt a new "In house" system, Workmanager, which has taken all of the 8 years to perfect. Whereas we started with 15 workers – more... within our area, 2 offices have closed out of four and a third about to close, this one being the one I work at hence my being made reduntant in 10 weeeks time. ( Mid April 2014 ). – less
boaring
cleaner (Former Employee), cambridge trumpinton roadFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: extra cash
Cons: not good pay
get to the (mrc) brain scanning place in cambridge around 5 o'clock in the morning then i would get started dusting every desk and side that i can see then empty around 50 bins then mop the areas that need mopping and clean the side's after dusting them down.
highways operative
highways operative (Current Employee), area 6January 20, 2014
Pros: the money
Cons: always on call
the typical day could be gritting ,then pot holes ,vrs repairs.
management got to a stage were the job couldn't be done as health and safety is to tight .
long hours and working nights on call for accidents.
gritting and barrier repair.
Admin Support
Admin Support (Former Employee), Whtehaven CumbrisJanuary 3, 2014
A typical day was basic admin support (filing, copying, up keep of calanders, taking messages ect) but also help managing and orgainsing files and any other jobs that may have arisen. Certain day covering the switch board.
I worked with in a team of 3 people and we had to ensure there was always cover for the main desk and that our basic duties where – more... completed in a timely mannor. – less
Driven workplace, excellent staff conditions, very business orientated
Graduate Defence Engineer (Current Employee), Bristol, UKDecember 19, 2013
Atkins is a unique Engineering company to work for. As a consultancy, your life is filled with a variety of projects, locations and staff to work with. No 2 months are the same, and there's always a new challenge to look forwards to.
job satisfaction
architect and interior designer (Former Employee), dubaiDecember 18, 2013
I have worked with this company in DUBAI for 7 long years,during 1994 to 2001. as senior Architect and interior designer.
if given chance, i will be happy to serve more to the company any where in their projects. hoping to get a chances. wish me good luck.
Atkins
(www.atkinsglobal.com) - Online Marketing Manager (Former Employee), London, ENGNovember 25, 2013
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: ability to change
Atkins is a global consultancy. It is the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and the world’s fifth largest design firm. Atkins plans, designs and enables capital projects for clients around the world. With over 18,000 employees specialising in fields such as civil engineering, architecture, urban planning, asset management, project management – more... and consultancy. – less
good work atmosphere, management is supportive
design and planning engineer (Former Employee), Abu Dhabi, AZNovember 25, 2013
reveiwing drawings and submittals
attending meetings with contractors

About Atkins

Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of – Read more