Atlanta Community Food Bank

Atlanta Community Food Bank Employee Reviews

Helping a Community in Need
Volunteer (Former Employee), AtlantaDecember 9, 2014
Volunteer work, but from what I saw when I dealt with them, they seem like extremely nice people.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 29, 2014
Volunteers inspect, sort and pack quality grocery items including non-perishable goods such as canned and packaged products, perishable goods such as frozen/refrigerated items and health and beauty products for distribution to over 600 non-profit organizations in the Metro Atlanta and North Georgia area.
Family oriented workplace
General Office Clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2014
I enjoyed the atmosphere and meeting new people. There was more than enough work to keep me busy throughout the day.
Great place to work!
Volunteer Group Leader (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2014
- Manages the processing of salvaged goods
- Oversees volunteers engaged in sorting and re-packing donated products
- Trains and supervises volunteer groups in food bank sorting operations
- Maintains quality control over product being sorted by answering volunteer questions, inspecting product throughout the sorting process, and ensuring all products are accurately coded and stored properly
Non-Profit Professional
Agency Services Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2013
Pros: an opportunity to help those in needs
Cons: n/a
There is no typical day at work. You have the opportunity to learn about various non-profits as well as yourself. I have excellent co-workers. The most enjoyable part about the job is helping those in need.
Great place to work, very productive!
Donor Processor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2013
Typical day at work was entering in information from donors who donated to the food bank. Also set up batches to complete for the next day. I learned that there are a lot of giving people in the world. I went to work happy knowing that we all cared for each other in different ways. Management were not shoulder sharks. They hired you to do a job as a responsible adult, there was no need to be on our backs since they knew we worked hard. If there need to be something said about the work you produced it was productive criticism. The hardest part this job was being let go, since I was Temp and had another job lined up (which fell through) I would have loved to continue to work there. The most enjoyable part of this job was the way everybody worked to gether, it was awesome !!!!
subpar management
former employee (Former Employee), warehouseJuly 19, 2013
Pros: it was a family-like atmosphere, for the most part everyone got along there. i've made some great friends there.
Cons: management was never consistent on implementing rules and guidelines
My experience as an employee was bitter sweet...
I admire Mr. Bolling and he has done a remarkable job with the food bank and its culture. But since he isn't there most of time he doesn't see the inferior job of management.
Certain things were swept under the rug. Some were fired for the pettiest of things. I've witnessed them give a certain agency an entire truck load of chicken for free in two visits with no paper trail. Giving free pallets of snacks to their "preferred"agencies when the less fortunate agencies have to pay for everything. Some were given prior notice when certain merchandise arrived. A few of their favorite agencies aren't even inspected. Warehouse employees risked their lives hanging Christmas lights 50+ in the air for a fund raiser (execs kept walking); and then one was fired for being raised 4 feet trying to fixed their own dock door.
No opportunities for advancement or progression
Meeting Coordinator/Office Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: a job
Cons: no opportunities for advancement.
Lots of work and no appreciation. Not much to say other than I slaved for this organization for 5 years and was offered nothing in return.
LOVE IT
Volunteer Group Lead (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2013
Pros: the volunteers
Cons: seeing so many people in need.
AMAZING place to work. I love the food bank and if my family and I were not relocating it would definitely be the place I would retire from.
Great Cause
Agency Services Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 25, 2012
Pros: family oriented
Cons: no level for growth due, to all directors will probably stay in jobs until no longer able to fulfill these responsibilities
Great company accomplishing great work however opportunities for professional development and career growth are limited.
Not a good experience working for ACFB
Professional (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2012
Pros: flexible schedules, nice coworkers, helping the community
Cons: upper management is stuck in their ways, no room for advancement (except for a select few), low pay, benefits are average
ACFB does a great job at helping the community, but when it comes to how they treat their employees, things are not so great. Upper management (CEO, COO and the CFO especially) are not good managers of people. They may do fine with the business side, but are horrible managers.

The culture is laid back (almost too laid back at times), so if you're looking for a professional, corporate environment, this is not the place to work.

The pay is low compared to other companies and the benefits are average. However, they do offer a few more paid holidays than some.

The best part about working there was you get to help the community. The worst part is management. They all need to retire and get some new people in that know something other than foodbanking. They will smile in your face, but then stab you in the back. You can't trust them.

They also show a lot of favoritism. They do a lot of underhanded things (i.e., pay themselves bonuses, while there is a freeze on everyone else's salaries), give raises to a select few, but tell others it's against policy to give raises in the middle of the year.

It was one of the worst places to work and a lot of that had to do with my manager. I would not recommend working here unless you're just looking for a "job" until you can find a real career position. If you're a person of color, forget it. You won't move up.

August 2, 2012

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do at the ACFB? You see I have been interested in applying and am unsure if it would be the right move for me. Also would you mind telling me what the pay is like for the entry level positions? I'm currently at a Non-Profit and most of the positions here start out at around $33,000. Was wondering if the pay was somewhat similar?

helping someone in need
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), Atlanta GAJune 8, 2012
Pros: helping someone
me helping someone in need was the biggest thing about me going to the atlanta food bank just so i could know that i did a good thing for someone and i love and miss every sic of it.