Atlanta Metropolitan State College Employee Reviews in United States

ASMC has a very good work environment; the administration and staff are always willing to help, and are very friendly.
Academic Professional (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2016
Academia offers a very flexible work schedule and it is rewarding to share my knowledge in biology as an academic professional. Mentoring and advising students with an interest in the biological sciences is rewarding.
Pros
retirement plan
Cons
salary
Recently became a four year college.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2016
Good place to work. Pay could be better. Good place to begin a teaching or administration career. They are now starting to require that full time faculty have a PhD.
Nice place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2016
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is building a robust curriculum for the students. In a few years it will be able to compete with other 4 year institutions.
Excellent work environment
Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 29, 2016
Excellent work environment. A junior college, now a 4-year college offering a Bachelor of Science degree in Natural Sciences
Pros
Opportunities for development
Cons
Faculty work overload
I loved my job
Office Manager, Federal TRIO Program (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2016
I worked at Atlanta Metropolitan College for 14 years. I worked for the Upward Bound program, which it was a Federal Funded program. For 12 of my years it was a perfect place, then we obtain new management, that was not using funds properly and our students were loosing out. At that time, I felt the need to leave, because nothing was changing and it was a possibility our funds were going to be taken away.
The hardest part of the job
Parttime Mass. Communications Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2015
After a pretty intense interview and signing on with the school the hardest part has been getting training and information well-ahead enough in advance to prepare to instruct a class.
Pros
School is all about helping students excel.
Cons
Part-time instructors don't get any instructions.
New 4-year college with potential for growth and lots of improvement
Adjunct Instructor of Biology (Former Employee) –  6300 Metropolitan Pkway, Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2015
CEO is excellent but support staff leaves much to be desired. Too much inbreeding and needs diversification for ideas and competiveness.
Pros
New 4year college - Beautiful physical campus that needs lots of improvement
Cons
Too much inbreeding - little or no room for diversification; needs lot of new ideas
Great Place to Start
College Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 16, 2015
As a college recruiter my work day often involved travel, setting daily appointment, and organizing campus tours. Working closely with offices such as Student Affairs, Office of the President, and Institutional Advancement. Advising students as well as starting programs with private, and government organizations.
Pros
small campus, great lunches in the cafeteria, state of the art gym
Cons
not mindful of personal time, and the leadership is out of touch with the needs of the staff.
Faculty Slavery
Asst. Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 29, 2014
I taught a 5/5 load in writing intensive courses with 35-40 students per class. I was hired to teach with technology, but the technology was spotty at best. Most of the faculty classroom computers didn't work, they had 2007 Smartboard systems, and the entire division of Fine Arts and Humanities shared one 25-unit aging computer lab. We were required to teach online courses with no training, no instructional designers, and no assistance. None of the composition courses were normed, and when they said they were going to "norm," they had no idea what it was. The compensation was very poor, and the dean treated the faculty like enemies, not colleagues.

They only pay on nine-month schedule so you will be broke for the summer unless you teach.

My colleagues were wonderful, though, warm, and caring (Too bad they were treated with complete disrespect from the administration). The faculty was truly dedicated to the students, but they had no time to truly educate.

Very, very bad administration. No faculty governance. No support for professional development. Speak up, and your contract is cancelled.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
everything else
The University System of Georgia has created a atmosphere of dedicated faculty, counselors and students all for one cause... Higher Edu.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2014
A typical day of the Learning Support office caters to students who need academic support. I would determine the student's needs or concerns and direct them to the appropriate counselor that may assist them further. Provided full administrative support, including maintaining student's electronic filing system of students records and test scores.

I've learned to work with a diverse group of people.

I supported over 20 full and adjunct faculty members and 4 Counselors supervised by the department Chair. The office was always busy with students activities.

The most challenging part of the job was setting up bi-weekly meetings with faculty members and Chair, due to the busyness of the office and difficulty of getting everyone together..

I enjoyed the satisfaction of students passing the Compass exam, which allowed them to move forward with their education.
Pros
awarding, working with educators, meeting new people
Cons
breaks are almost non-existent
Meaningful position working with students
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaMarch 11, 2014
Highly fast paced busy environment, where I was self-directed and self-managed. Enjoyed working with the students and faculty. Often became attached to students and their achievements,
Pros
able to self improve by attending courses
Cons
breaks or lunch was often a luxury
Law-Enforcement environment
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 4, 2012
I handle all the officers office work. Answer multiple lines, dispatch officers and clerical work. The hardest part of the job is not being compensated enough for the amount of work required. The most enjoyable part of the job is work in such a friendly environment and learning new things everyday.

2.6