Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

Too Much for Too Little
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 16, 2017
Management needs a boost and there needs to be less of a cliquish atmosphere. Too many chiefs and not enough indians which causes those that can do the job to be placed in a hostile environment where you feel like there is no way out no matter what you do or how right you are.
Pros
Healthcare, Hours
Cons
Pay, Cliquish
APS is an inner city school system that has the potential to be great.
Department Chair (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
APS has been through a period of transition and the new administration doesn't have a grasp on how the school district operates. Many of the new "powers that be" have not done enough research on the district to ascertain what works and what doesn't. People from outside the district have come in and implemented polices and procedures that haven't fared well in improving the overall operation of the district. Many of the initiatives implemented haven't yielded any positive results as it relates to student achievement. The district has many talented employees, but those people have been overlooked to hire outside professionals.
Combat Pay Depending on Which School You Are Assigned
Professional Development Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2017
Came into the job very hopeful and expectant ... Left broken and defeated. They got rid of the good principal in replace of an inpersonable one. Glad I experienced it though. Made me stronger.
Pros
If you work hard they treat you easy.
Cons
Everyone is for themselves when it comes down to it.
Typical school environment
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 8, 2017
Busy workday with multiple job functions. No day is the same. Typical school environment. Need to have to have lots of patience and be able to take direction from others often.
Pros
school breaks and holidays
Cons
low wage
A phenomenal place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2017
Sometime my day can be stressful, when I am
Learning a new product, and I only have a small amount of time before I feed the kids for lunch. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the kids with a smile on they face and ready to eat....Saying its smile good in the cafeteria.
Pros
Too many kids eating
Cons
Not enough hours, And staff
Excellent place to work and grow!
School Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30303July 25, 2017
This job offers plenty of growth opportunity, excellent benefits, good work environment, paid vacation, flexible work schedule. My supervisors are easy to work with. Co-workers are very supportive, offering solutions to day to day challenges.
Pros
I enjoy the paid off time we have when students are out of school.
Cons
Working with students K-12 is a daily challenge one that I enjoy experiencing each day.
Productive and rewarding work place.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 21, 2017
I have a love for elementary age students, It was rewarding to mold and shape their skills for the future. It gave me pleasure to have student succeed in life due to my assistant.
I also trained new teacher in the needed skills to be productive in thetr work.
Pros
Working with people.
Cons
Long extra hour given to the job.
Temporary
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2017
This was a temporary position. I am not qualified to review the company as a whole. As a substitute teacher, I was able to see that APS attempts to support their staff in any way that they can.
A stepping stone
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2017
A stepping stone to get your foot in the door for other atalnta public schools oppurtunies and a good look for your resume. I felt like one as changing lives and looking out for the best interest of the kids
Not satisfied
Instructional Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2017
Atlanta public schools do not pay enough for the amount of work that is expected. They only give 29 hours to part time employees just so that do not have to offer benefits for this position.
Productive and very structured environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2017
Nice people, clean environment, pay was decent. No real growth, no professional road map, no real understanding of technology, no real attempt at fixing the problems.
Loved this job
TRANSPORTATION DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2017
Loved the hours , benefits and overall the people . It was fun , it wasn't like you're at work . The students , parents and teachers was excellent to work with .
Fun environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 7, 2017
It's a great place to work starting fresh. It gives you time to engage with the students and find your teaching style while still allowing you to have family time.
Teacher Assistant
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2017
Assisted teacher with students in a classroom setting. Other duties as assigned by administration. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children.
enjoyed while i was there
Food preparation and food server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2017
cant change the past it helped build me up to whom i am today...enjoyed learning to cook, started as a cashier and moved around to learn many different thing about being a cafeteria worker
School Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2017
The work environment is only conducive to teaching and learning. There are plenty of training opportunities to improve your skills.I learned a lot about how a front office is ran.
Great Work place
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2017
Great School and a wonderful staff Job Work/Life Balance Great benefits and a great start within the school system. I learned alot while I was there. Recommendation is High
enjoy meeting fans of sports
Ticket Seller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2017
work environment is excellent. coworkers work well together. we are family and we look forward to seeing each other during football season (this is a seasonal job).
Fun work place
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2017
I truly enjoyed my working for the school system. The hardest part about the job was not receiving pay when school was out. I really enjoyed working with the elementary schools kids.
Pros
The pros' were been out for the entire summer.
Cons
They did not offer health benefits for part time employee's
Hard Work You earn every dime you make
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2017
APS has many resources but lack organization and seemly communication. I've gained many years of experience but would love to see teachers provided with more support and less paper work. The district's inability to hold parents more accountable and discipline little to none...teaching is truly a challenge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Atlanta Public Schools Reviews by Location