Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

n/a
Electronic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2016
work orders were received daily, i was responsible for the repairs of burglar alarms, fire alarms, intercom systems,key less access systems, and surveillance camera systems,and move, adds, and changes. unsupervised.
also helped co workers when needed.
the hardest part or the job was the repairing the fire alarm systems.
the most enjoyable part of the job was completing the work orders.
Pros
different challanges
Cons
no pay raise
Middle School Teacher
SCIENCE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2016
I taught middle school science in urban school setting. My co-workers were supportive and engaging. The hardest part of the job was motivating and getting my students to learn and the most enjoyable part of the job is when my students showed a genuine interest in learning.
Pros
Healthcare, retirement benefits, paid holidays, summer break
Cons
Working beyond school hours and minimal break periods
Great Students limited advancement
STEM-Coach/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2016
I loved working with the inner city youth of Atlanta. Bringing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) to the school in a fun and informal way bought me joy everyday that I went into the building. The teacher were not motivated at first, they thought it was going to be just more work. But, through professional development I managed to win them over and they began to relax and have fun again with the curriculum. The hardest part was leaving a program that I started from the beginning.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Job
Cons
Long Hours, No Advancement
Interesting place to work in regards to being shuffled around to different departments due to the constant change in upper management.
Substitute Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  130 Trinity Ave. SW Atlanta, GA 30303August 20, 2015
Interesting place to work, when you are well liked the sky is the limit, in terms of promotions and compensation. There are people that are well liked and do not perform near as well as some others who are not well liked, and the well liked individuals make more money, solely based on relationships with management. Really smart people (assets) are not compensated based on their performance, but based on their relationships with management. There are some really great people at Atlanta Public Schools who do not get their fair share of compensation based on their performance.
Pros
The schedule is a pro, in regards to having the holidays off with family.
Cons
The compensation based on performance is non-existent, compensation and promotions are based on relationships with management.
Fun workplace but no benefits
school nurse (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
The job is enjoyable and gratifying if you love children, which I do, but the compensation and lack of benefits is terrible. Most nurses are part-time, one hour shy of being able to recieve benefits. I'm sure that's intentional. We work short shifts (29 hrs weekly at the most-sometimes less) and whenever there is a school inservice day or holiday break, nurses are not paid for that time off like teachers and other staff. That makes most nurses have to have a 2nd job just to earn full-time pay and to fill in the gap when the schools are closed for long holiday breaks, inservices and snow days. Nurses don't recieve any PTO or sick time, or vacation which is unreasonable considering that we are exposed to illnesses every day from children we see. The support is great from the staff but the pay and lack of a benefits package creates a high turnover rate and leaves the schools with new nurses all of the time or no nurse at all. APS need to do better with prioritizing. These schools have children that come from a low income demographic and rough home life. They are sick constantly, we bathe and treat children at school, comb their hair, provide clothing and shoes, we are more than nurses. We are a safe haven, we are nurturing and provide so much more to these babies. APS budget cuts make it difficult to stay in these positions for long. We do full-time jobs, but are forced to cram it in short shifts so that they can avoid spending money on salary. Nurses are needed in our schools, APS should do something more to ensure that.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and team members
Cons
short shifts, low pay, no health benefits or job security, have to have 2nd job
Learning from Children everyday
Assistant Teacher/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2016
We are a family and working with children was a dream of mine. I have learned patience. I have learned if you try different ways to reach a child they will get the lesson and also teach you lessons as well. Children have wonderful personalities and change each day, but they change in a mature great way. They learn from adults and it's up to us if the learning is positive or negative. Everything that we do have an effect on one another, so I try to make sure that I am a positive influence and give 100% to any child/children.
Pros
When a student light bulbs comes on. Their eyes light up.
Cons
Interesting and eventful place to work
Educator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 9, 2015
Working for Atlanta Public Schools is a challenging, but fulfilling positon. I've learned that I am capable of adapting to any environment. My coworkers and I have a postive outlook on our jobs as educators and strive each day to work efficiently. The hardest aspect of my job is inspiring children to reach their potential regardless of their circumstances. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is seeing a child experience success with an academic challenge.
Pros
Summer Off
Cons
Salary
Rewarding, Fun, Challenging
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time in APS working at Sarah Smith Elementary School which was just voted best Elementary school in Atlanta for education and overall student experience. The staff was dedicated and ready to work together to achieve overall goals. My favorite part of the job was being able to see the students learn and grow socially and academically. The most challenging aspect of the work was the money. I had to work two jobs in order to make my ends meet.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Salary
Substitute Teachers have no voice
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2016
Although I love teaching the children the role of substitute teacher is truly pathetic. The lowest of the low!! Minimum wages.

One's voice is never heard. I have got into trouble, but have no recourse. My version of the incident is totally dismissed.

The only voice which is heard is that of a student and the school is so fearful of liability issues that this is the only voice they hear.

Also the pay is terrible and there are no benefits.

No wonder they cant keep good people with high integrity and dedication. Like me.
Pros
Love the children
Cons
Lack of respect for substitute teachers
Busy, various duties, parent engagement,Title 1 duties etc,
Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  D.M. Therrell H.S.July 28, 2016
Day to day events sometimes might be the same and sometimes they differ. Working in the school system is a learning experience you'll never forget. You meet some very interesting people and students. the hardest part of the job I think is that you have to know how to deal with different personalities. But, it's always nice to know when you are able to help someone. It's a great feeling.

Want to know more about Atlanta Public Schools?

Ask a question
Very family oriented and great place to work
Paraprofessional/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2015
Fun place to work, lovable and very busy environment. Great way to get your foot in the door in the school system. Very supportive staff, room for growth if you are considering being a full-time educator.
Pros
very family oriented
Cons
Position is part time, budget cuts equal hours cut, no benefits offered
Disappointed Teacher
Teacher (Current Employee) –  South West AtlantaMay 22, 2016
This is a very demanding school system, especially if you are teaching on the south side. There are a lot of meetings, excessive amounts of paperwork to complete, and unreasonable administrators. Because I taught at a low performing school, we were given the directive to attend Saturday trainings. Needless to say, I'm leaving the district, it's not worth the money.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Meetings, pressure from admin, poor work-life balance, lack of parental support, rude, unruly students
APS pays well, and has good benefits. APS puts a lot of money and time making sure teachers have professional development opportunities.
2ND GRADE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 14, 2016
APS is revamping a lot of its schools and programs. Once the turnaround strategy is fully implemented, APS will be able to to compete with school districts across the nation.
Pros
APS offers several professional development opportunities for staff.
Cons
large classroom sizes
Being an Educator in the Inner City
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 5, 2016
I really love the art of teaching and impacting the young lives of others. I have taught for a total 19 years. Throughout the years, teaching has become more stressful and harder to meet all the demand of what is expected. I am truly at the crossroad of my career. I am ready to engulf my skills into a new experience. I really enjoy helping others and making a true difference in the workplace.
A Positive work environment with fun and excitement:
Helpdesk Support Analyst II (Current Employee) –  130 Trinity Ave. Atlanta, GaJuly 4, 2016
A typical day consist of everyone in the department working together and sharing information and taking care of the task at hand. However, when we can which is twice a month we get praises and give praises or some kind of thanks, for a job well done, Usually with an office feast lunches or gifts etc.
Atlanta Public Schools is a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaApril 25, 2016
Atlanta Public Schools is an enjoyable place to work because kids matter and teaching and learning is what education is all about. Co workers work hard. We provide a learning environment that inspires the best academic achievement for each student. We establish a creative, collaborative and respectful culture where each student’s social, emotional and physical well-being is valued.
Pros
Location is good.
Great Job to work for.
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 23, 2016
Great job to working with children is great meeting new parents also lots of friends. every day I look forward to see the teacher. First thing I do is making sure my lights work waving at passing car telling them good morning, the first person they see is me and the last person they see is me
Fun work place
Transportation (Current Employee) –  GoodAugust 30, 2016
The job itself is good but the leadership is below standerds the kids you a jib all by itself they can what ever you make then they can be good and you will live your job or bad and you will hate your job due to poor leadership
Pros
Off time
Cons
No advancement
Controversial work place
Certification and Records Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2016
The decisions made by leadership can overshadow the real reason for the work, student success. A typical work day is busy yet interesting and would be great if we only focused on the work. However, the human element, money and power, takes over. My immediate team is a great group.
Productive and fun work place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  I work at Frederick Douglass High SchoolSeptember 22, 2016
I love coming to work, to make sure the students have clean restrooms and classrooms. The people I work with are fun to be around and they are very helpful. On a day to day basis everything is cool and quiet I have no complaints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Atlanta Public Schools Reviews by Location