Atmel Corporation Employee Reviews

I liked my job until they moved me
Equipment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 9, 2016
It's a culture that makes it hard to stay positive. I enjoyed my daily duties, and was given good direction and positive reinforcement. After two years of work with positive reviews, I was moved to a new area and my work load doubled - travel was added and Saturdays were made mandatory, all with no pay increase.
Pros
Relatively low stress environment
Cons
Not where to go if you want to make more money
No break room for employee
Program/Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
Passion work.
Nice team work.
Nice enviroment.
Managerment level just ok.
hard work but enjoyed with team work.
Too many upper managerment levels.
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
break
I enjoyed the work and the benefits of compressed shifts
Production Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 18, 2015
A typical day was usually routine and very busy. I learned to cope with the stresses of production ramp up from management and co-workers by taking the challenge and staying on track. The hardest part of the job was when my area was understaffed. The most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team, staying busy and enjoying the benefits of having compressed schedules.
Pros
short work week and longer days off and the great health insurance
Cons
Slow times in the business and the possibility of lay offs
Not committed to expanding into new product areas
Strategic Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 7, 2015
Atmel was trying to expand into new product/areas, but was not interested in correctly funding new development initiatives.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, nice work environment (new building)
Excellent place to work.
Staff Wireless RF System Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 9, 2015
Fun t0 work with great people. Peers are nice and great experienced people. Company culture is based on core good values.
High volume manufacuring
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 16, 2015
Work 12 hour shifts in a clean room environment with high attention to detail and ability to multi-task. HAZCOM training/refresher yearly. Manufactured micro-controller chips. Co-ordinated with maintenance/supervisors/specialists when needed to resolve product/tool issues.
IT Department is unappreciated and overworked.
Infrastructure Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, ColoradoMay 11, 2015
Worked for the company 20 years, moving from the fabrication manufacturing, then Yield Engineering, to end with IT. Every department outside of IT was fun to work for and had advancement opportunities.

The IT department continues to have high turnover and management never seems to listen to their hired experts. Right hand never seems to know what the the Left hand is doing. Lack IT strategy and have no respect for their experienced infrastructure personal.
Pros
Education reimbursement, 401k match, EMP Stock options
Cons
Poor Health benefits, job advancement, work recognition, Management heavey
No Job Stability, Poor Management
Workflow Coordinator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 20, 2015
You spend 12 hours days running tools and pushing product around. Management has no idea what they are doing and do not take much feedback from the lowly operators. Co-workers are relatively unmotivated because there's no recognition and little promotion opportunities. Hardest part of the job is being on your feet for 12 hours. Enjoyable part of the job is you have your own space running your own tools.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
monotonous, poor management, common for them to have layoffs
unprofessional
Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 1, 2015
the atmosphere was unprofessional and the people who made it there were the people who did anything for their job even if it was unethical.
Small Semiconductor Company to 2 Billion Revenue in 10 years.
Global Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 18, 2014
Great Experience -

Great Growth Potential.
Systems Automation.
Global Sourcing - Materials, Services, and Logistics.
Combining and Leveraging 5 Operations Purchase Dollars.
Developing Strong Relationships in Europe and Asia.
Traveled extensively unsuring supply of product in Allocation Markets.
Negotiation International Agreements
Close relationships with Engineering, and Top Management.
Pros
lot's of opportunities.
Cons
sec requirements / audit requirements / paperwork
Can we say Microchips
Thin Films Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 16, 2014
It is very redundant, with the ability to learn more and more everyday.
I learned a lot about the semiconductor and everything that they are in and what the process from beginning to end is.
My management was not the greatest there towards the end of my employment there.
The hardest part of my job was right after 9/11 the industry took a hard it. Lots of us lost our jobs due to layoffs and cut backs. So we never knew if we where going to be employed from week to week.
Most enjoyable part of my job was it was non stop, always going with the trouble shooting that needed to be done day in day out.
It is a cleanroom enviroment
Buddy Trainer (Oxide Etch, Metal Etch) (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 20, 2014
Work is 12 hr compressed shift 3 and 4 days a week with 3 and 4 days off.
You learn the process of computer chip making.

You work closely with a group of people for your specific area. There are other areas but you don't work as closely with them.

Generally speaking the hardest part of my job might be having to be in cleanroom attire.
I had a good review ,in the 15yrs I worked there, i never missed a day off work or was late
Specialist/ Defect Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 18, 2012
A typical day at work for me was anywhere from 12-16nhr. Worked
mostly alone.
What was learned I had a scheldule of different jobs, measuring, running product , Certifying employee on different tools.
Management was ok. Some co-workers was hard to work with ,but the job had to be done and it was.
I worked overnight so the hardest part off my job was to stay awake ,but I had no problem.
the most enjoyable part off my job was i was doing what I love d to do...
Pros
the employees christmas parties, ice cream socials
Cons
distances from one area to another, the gowing room was too crowded.
great place to work for
Implant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 10, 2012
Responsible for work for each piece of equipment for the night, worked on equipment qualifications when needed,tuned equipment when required, made sure all staff was in communication with me as to the workflow and what was needed to make the area run with the top effiency. Worked with engineering and upper supervision to run experiments to further advance technology in flash memory chips.
Pros
work crew, always learning, and pay
Cons
hours, worked compressed shifts
Productive workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 4, 2013
I like that my day was different each time. Had my daily tasks always seem to have something new added to my performance.
Strong management team that worked together to accomplish fulfilling dept. tasks.
Co-workers were great to work with within and out of the dept. (developed a certain go to team when assistance was need from other depts.)
The hardest part of the job could sometimes be "Mis-communication" but was tolerable and always seemed to work out regardless.
The enjoyable part of the job, the employees, flexible schedule, managing your own work and being able to accomplish the projects given.
Pros
comfortable working environment
benefits
Analog Design Engineer/Test Engineer
Analog Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJuly 18, 2013
Analyzed and designed BICMOS integrated circuits for hard drive read/write preamplifiers. Advised layout technicians during the layout phase. Troubleshot integrated circuits.

Wrote test programs for Teradyne testers to test integrated circuit preamplifiers using C and pascal languages.

Designed hardware boards using op amps, relays, regulators, and transistors to implement testing of integrated circuits.
Would not recommend
current employee (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 29, 2013
I notice all of the great reviews belong to long term people out of the colorado location. If you are in San Jose avoid working for this company. Unless you are management you are not regarded as a viable asset to this company and the amount of money they offer you stresses this. Non-manager positions get poorly compensated so if you are fresh out of college looking for a big pay day this company is not for you!!! No advancement opportunities and high expectations are placed upon you which equate to long hours for poor salary. It is not worth it!!! The most enjoyable time of the day is when you complete your work and walk out
Cons
constantly changing metrics new management high turnover and lack of communication at all levels
Dedicated Group I was a part of.
Customer Service Manager/CSR (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2013
Worked at Atmel for 17+ years. Had a lot of opportunities while I was there.
Had multiple territories and distributors assigned to me.
The best part of the job was taking care of the customer and meeting or exceeding their expectations.
Interfaced with so many departments and employees who had passion to help you meet your deadlines.
Pros
team work- great people to work with
Cons
moving some jobs overseas
Stressful environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 6, 2013
My mama always said "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything". That makes it hard to write this review.

There are many elements that could make this a much more enjoyable place to work -- the challenge of some of the projects and the creativity they inspire can be fun -- but there is so much to do, so little time to do it and such nebulous, shifting, ill-defined requirements that it is just extremely stressful.

If I felt that management was behind me, that would make a difference, but my perception is that some upper level manager decided something should happen and the peons wind up struggling on the road to the Alamo waiting for their mid-level managers to throw them under the bus.
Cons
lots of required working hours and meetings
Semiconductor manufacturing which was a challenge with a good team.
Senior Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 20, 2012
The team worked well together which made the job envionment good. The Human Resources Department was easy to work with and company policies were well coordinated to implement. If you knew your job, they would let you do it.
Pros
kept informed, good staff, supported by mgmt, could get resources to job
Cons
site carried company profit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atmel Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7