Atwater Elementary School District Employee Reviews in United States

Children from different backrounds offer different perspectives on life's differences.
Assistant Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atwater, CAMarch 16, 2016
Even though I enjoy working with children, and the work/life balances are good, I only get paid for 180 days per year. I would like to continue on with my medical education so I can work at other places per diem so, I can continue to bring in income. I cannot draw unemployment when I don't work.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
cannot collect unemployment for not working during summer break.
Working with kids can be fun
CAMPUS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAJune 15, 2015
Overall its a nice job to have if your a stay at home mom and want extra money. The benefits of working for the schools is you get the same holidays off. You get off work before your children get out of school.
Pros
YOU CAN LEARN ALOT FROM KIDS
Cons
SUPERVISING KIDS CAN BE A CHALLENGE
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peggy HellerNovember 20, 2014
All I can say is it is very cut throat to work for the AESD. Which can be very discouraging if you love working with kids. There is a 6 month probation period. Which means they can dismiss you anytime within the first 6 months of working and not give you a reason as to why you were dismissed. I was a good worker and took great pride in my work, but I got dismissed before my 6 month probation period ended. Without any type of warning or any communication as to how my work was dissatisfying and how to improve. There was no communication exercised once so ever. I later learned from a parent that her daughter has seen many teachers in her classroom come and go during her 2 years of being at the school I worked for. While I worked there I recall the students coming up to me and asking me if I was going to leave. They would also say things like "I hope you stay here for a long time." Which I found a bit odd at the time, because I wasn't aware of the high turnover rate at the school I was working for, but all the comments from the kids made sense once I was let go. They were use to teachers being let go and leaving the classroom. Which I think is incredibly sad. There is no firm foundation for kids to rely on a teacher to last them a full school year. Now since I was dismissed I can no longer work for any schools in the AESD. I can only apply for teaching jobs that are outside of the Atwater elementary school district. But the staff were really nice and took sympathy upon me as I went to gather my belongings. If you are a new worker for the AESD I wish you the best of luck during your  more... probation period. If you do get let go just keep in mind what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.  less
Pros
the students. teaching, getting to know the students and parents.
Cons
poor communication, no warnings, you can be let go without reason, no perminent job security until probation period is over, once dismissed you can no longer work for any school in the atwater elementary school district
AESD was great to work for
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAOctober 30, 2014
I worked as a temporary employee, substituting in various classes. Although this did not become my career choice, I certainly gained experience in presenting to groups and became adept at delivering information in a way that held the attention of my audience.
Pros
the children
Cons
underprivilieged children
Campus Supervising
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atwater, CAMarch 21, 2014
Great experience working with all the staff and children at multiple schools. Been fun and very exciting.
Highly satisfied
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atwater, CAOctober 27, 2012
As my job with the school district was multi-faceted, my days were full of fun and challenging tasks. The administrators were fantastic to work for, and it was a pleasure to work at the district office. My co-workers were wonderful and supportive. I learned that I was a very creative and successful person. I learned that, with the positive support of a boss, an employee will perform at 150%. Every task I performed for the school district was appreciated, and I worked really hard to impress my boss. I fully support educators and the work they do to prepare children for the future.
Pros
every aspect of working for a school district is a pro
Cons
lack of budgetary monies to adequately support classified employees
Very good work environment enjoy working with people
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atwater, CAJuly 6, 2012
Learned how to maintain records, Miles for the school bus drivers, pay invoices for the school food department.
Horrible if you expect value as a worker
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  District OfficeFebruary 25, 2012
I had worked there for (5) years and enjoyed all but my last year; the newly hired Assistant Superintendent, previously a school principal, could not stand my power and knowledge in the position I held and was HIGHLY appreciated and respected by her predecessor. The district hires within and pretty much you need to know someone and be related to or married to someone to get hired and keep your job; either classified or certificated.
Truly a sad situation.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
advancement opps. are minimal.

Atwater Elementary School District Reviews by Location