Atwood Oceanics Employee Reviews

Safety in the workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Atwood is a good company to work for. Safety is the highest priority. The company's focus is offshore oil well drilling and completion. Rigs in various locations around the world.
Pros
Management believes in safety and promotes it thru the management team
Cons
Employment may be affected by the price of oil.
needs people skills
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Great People to work with but upper management needs better people skills, down fall your gone half the year you miss alot of family time but thats the price you pay to make that type of money.
Atwood Oceanics was a great workplace for training for further advancement
Assistant Crane Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
Atwood Oceanics was a great training place for further advancement in the offshore drilling industry.

I got the opportunity to work on a brand new vessel and see the commissioning processes and the troubleshooting that comes with brand new equipment, which was instrumental in me getting my promotion.
Productive and laid back environment
Radio Operator/Rig Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
I lived on a drillship for 21 days at a time working 6a-6p shift. Day started with preparing for any crew changes, helicopter arrivals/departures, signing people in and out. Assigning bed spaces for vendors/employees arriving the rig; Answered phones. Prepared travel and payroll for all Atwood employees.

Management allowed me to do my job without any interference. I knew what I needed to do and I was trusted to get the job done with practically no supervision.

I would assist co-workers with questions regarding HR matters, payroll, travel, flight manifest information etc. I enjoyed visiting with my fellow co-workers when I had the time.

Hardest part of the job is being gone for 21 days from home. It did get challenging when we got busy and had to meet deadlines but those were always met in a timely manner.

I enjoyed helping make operations run smoothly and everyone was taken care of and I had no complaints. The sunrises and sunsets on the water were amazing!
Pros
No traffic, food was free and I was left to do my job with minimal supervision.
Cons
Worked 12 hrs daily for 21 days. Missed lots of holidays due to my schedule.
Every drilling contractor.
Derrickman (Current Employee) –  oceanDecember 1, 2016
12 hours a day. 21 day rotation. Management is middle of the road, capital oriented. Co-workers have been great. Being gone from home would be the hardest part.
This ship "Advantage" for Atwood, is a great place to work.
3/rd assistant engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2016
on the ship: Advantage

Really liked working on this ship. The crew was very skilled and I fit in with them like a glove.
The Rig was clean and machinery was well kept. The captain was always willing to help if needed. Laundry was good, and the housekeeping.
Food was good too.

Dante Fox
Satisfying employment
Offshore Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2016
I started out in Australia and went to the med and India working in many countries there and back to Malaysia and Sarawak.
Pros
Lots of traveling
Cons
Trying to do too much with not enough.
Review
Mechanic 1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2016
Enjoyed working for this company. Learned new things to further my employment. Started at the bottom and worked my way to mechanic. When the economy crashed I was laid off. Then started with another company.
Great Experience
Rig Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  OffshoreAugust 7, 2016
I have enjoyed working rotational offshore for the past 11+ years. Unfortunately due to the downturn in the oil industry it is time to look for new employment
Good Company
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2016
Atwood was an excellent company to work for, but showed little concern for the staff's longevity when the oil prices dropped below expected rates.
Pros
My Boss was great to work for, would do so again in the future.
Cons
Company planned for the projected rates rather than worse case.
Rewarding and productive place to work
A.B. Seaman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2016
My department handles all of the safety aspects on the oil rig I work on. From the lifeboats to the fire extinguishers and everything safety related in between. Most of the people that work on my rig are thought of as family and are very close because we spend 21 days with each other at a time. The hardest part of my job is being away from my children as a single father and only being able to talk to them on the phone and over the internet while at work!
What I love most about my job are the challenges I have to be given a task and having the freedom to figure out the best way to complete job at hand
Pros
schedule:21 days of work-21 days off, free food, laundry service and living arrangements while at work
Cons
21 days aways from civilization at a time is the biggest con, I am missisng my children grow up
Very nice work schedule, but too much instability.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2016
The work is not bad at all. The overall crew is pretty good. Too many "good-ole-boy" clicks. Makes it very hard to fit in. I learned more about specific drilling equipment. My co-workers are almost like family being we spend half of our lives together. Hardest part of the job is having to leave for three weeks straight. The most enjoyable is the fact of having basically three weeks of vacation every time I'm home.
Great Company Poor Management
Safety Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2016
Upper management on the rig is very cliquish and if you are not part of the "click" then they do not wish to see you succeed.
Great work atmosphere
3rd Assistant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2016
Great group of people on this rig, very hard working and safe group of people who know how to get the job done fast and efficiently
Productive and safe work place. Great management
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Working for Atwood taught me many different trades most of which were learned by hands on work. I was used from my head to my feet and the management was amazing. My co workers were another family to me, I spent more time with my co workers than I did my own family. The hardest part of the job was being in the middle of the ocean for 21 days at a time. The work was difficult at times, but as long as you worked safe and by company policy the jobs went by smooth. the most enjoyable part was being able to use my brain to tackle new tasks.
Pros
Safe work place, Great managment, Great co workers
Small company feel, great colleagues and mgmt, good pay.
Senior Rig Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2015
Atwood Oceanics is a great place to work. The company hires great people, pays well and has a very nice office. Their fleet is very young and their focus on safety is genuine.

The only con I have is the company is very aggressive and ambitious and does not shy away from letting people go. There is a lot of turnover.
Pros
Good pay, nice office, great people, foosball table
Cons
High turnover
I woud ove to get back to work with them
Barge Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2015
Atwood was one of the better places I have worked at I would love to be able to go back to work with them good people to work with.
Interesting and Challenging Job
DP Rig Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  US Gulf of MexicoNovember 21, 2015
Good job with consistent challenges due to the technological advances in the equipment. All equipment is state of the art and requires extensive operational experience to operate and maintain.
- I work 12 hours a day from 12:00pm to 12:00am and after 2 weeks have a short chance and we work from 12:00am to 12:00pm - I learned day by day we le
ASSISTANT DRILLER/PUMPMAN/DERRICKAMN (Former Employee) –  Guyana South AmericaJuly 19, 2015
- I learned day by day we learn a lot even you have enough experience but some thing a little bit chance.
- The management is important to obey always from the superior from the operation
- always be a friendly to your co-worker and work together as one family
- The hard part of the job when somebody not be cooperate and not care the job
- The most enjoyable part of the job when every one work together and sharing their experience
Pros
Assistant Driller
Cons
Pumpman
I would recommend Atwood for any open jobs.
Safety Training Coordinator (STC) (Current Employee) –  Gulf of ThailandJune 8, 2015
Atwood Oceanics is a great company. The long commute to Thailand is brutal. Good people to work with and the Thai personnel are very hard workers.
Pros
Retirement Bennefits outstanding -
Cons
Long commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atwood Oceanics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3