Atwood Oceanics Employee Reviews

Company was bought by Ensco
Electronic Technician II (Current Employee) –  Gulf of MexicoNovember 3, 2017
Company was bought by Ensco. My position will become redundant when the vessel relocates to Australia as they will be nationalizing the rig. Atwood was a good company to work for three years ago. It was not financially prepared to handle the current down turn in the Oil and Gas Industry.
Great workplace
Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2017
Atwood was a great company to work with. It was very demanding job but rewarding at the same time. I would stay there if the company wasn't being merged with other company and unfortunately some employees get to be lay off
Productive and high paced work place
Deck Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 3, 2017
This company has been bought out by another company. Like all oilfield companies there are your good days and bad days. There is always a new challenge to tackle.
Pros
Free Lunches, Long periods off time
Cons
stressful enviroment
Great company to work for
Employee Development Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Atwood Oceanics is a leading offshore driller recognized for operational safety and excellence. We are determined to emerge from the current market downturn as a strong, successful company. A leading offshore drilling company engaged in the drilling and completion of exploration and development wells for the global oil and gas industry.

Atwood has been a great company to work for and glad I have had the opportunity to work here for over 5 years.
Productive place with life/work balance
Training Compliance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2017
My team worked well and communication between ourselves and other departments was very good. Goals were mentored and were clear from management. The culture was friendly and professional.
The hardest part of my job was having to reprimand employees but I took it as an opportunity to hear what they needed from me to do a better job.
great company
Crane Operator (Semi-submersible "Condor") (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2017
atwood as a company is great to work with. ihave worked with them since 2012 and i have had 3 promotions in this time period. people are great like family
Productive, Exciting and Diverse Workplace
Camp Boss/Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2017
I worked 28 days on and 28 days off. Commuting by airplane to and from Africa. I managed 22 local personnel onboard the oil rig. My job was being in charge of the Catering and Housekeeping departments onboard. Cooking for 130 personnel, creating weekly menus, monitoring inventory daily, in charge of timesheets and payroll, making sure the accommodations are well kept.
Pros
Free room and board, traveling
Offshore, rotational like most other competing companies
CRANE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  GOMJune 23, 2017
It was a pretty good company to work for, did have issues with the "brother in law" system at times when it came to promotions and especially new hires. Word is that they are now selling to Ensco, I'm not sure if that has been made official or not.
Pros
Smaller company, you could call the home office and they recognized your name if not remembering you personally
Cons
Potentially no longer a company
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
Atwood Oceanics was a great place to work, and provided room for growth and advancement within the company. It taught me many different skills in which I will always use in the future. The management was great, and being able to obtain different certifications was great also.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Cons
Short breaks, many days away from home
Good and fair employer
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West AfricaApril 4, 2017
Last company was a fair and very good company to work with. I have learned a lot from the company. Management treated everybody with respect and fair opportunities was given to each employees.
wasted manpower, poorly manage, Oil industry tanked.
Chief Electrician (Former Employee) –  GULF OF MEXICOFebruary 19, 2017
Alot of money wasted during the 5 year boom. saw a lot of disgruntled employees leave because of poor management. losses were made because the lack care and support from the field to corporate. of upper management.
Pros
Great Benifits
Cons
Skill sets of employees consistency.
Safety in the workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Atwood is a good company to work for. Safety is the highest priority. The company's focus is offshore oil well drilling and completion. Rigs in various locations around the world.
Pros
Management believes in safety and promotes it thru the management team
Cons
Employment may be affected by the price of oil.
needs people skills
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Great People to work with but upper management needs better people skills, down fall your gone half the year you miss alot of family time but thats the price you pay to make that type of money.
Atwood Oceanics was a great workplace for training for further advancement
Assistant Crane Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
Atwood Oceanics was a great training place for further advancement in the offshore drilling industry.

I got the opportunity to work on a brand new vessel and see the commissioning processes and the troubleshooting that comes with brand new equipment, which was instrumental in me getting my promotion.
Productive and laid back environment
Radio Operator/Rig Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
I lived on a drillship for 21 days at a time working 6a-6p shift. Day started with preparing for any crew changes, helicopter arrivals/departures, signing people in and out. Assigning bed spaces for vendors/employees arriving the rig; Answered phones. Prepared travel and payroll for all Atwood employees.

Management allowed me to do my job without any interference. I knew what I needed to do and I was trusted to get the job done with practically no supervision.

I would assist co-workers with questions regarding HR matters, payroll, travel, flight manifest information etc. I enjoyed visiting with my fellow co-workers when I had the time.

Hardest part of the job is being gone for 21 days from home. It did get challenging when we got busy and had to meet deadlines but those were always met in a timely manner.

I enjoyed helping make operations run smoothly and everyone was taken care of and I had no complaints. The sunrises and sunsets on the water were amazing!
Pros
No traffic, food was free and I was left to do my job with minimal supervision.
Cons
Worked 12 hrs daily for 21 days. Missed lots of holidays due to my schedule.
Every drilling contractor.
Derrickman (Current Employee) –  oceanDecember 1, 2016
12 hours a day. 21 day rotation. Management is middle of the road, capital oriented. Co-workers have been great. Being gone from home would be the hardest part.
This ship "Advantage" for Atwood, is a great place to work.
3/rd assistant engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2016
on the ship: Advantage

Really liked working on this ship. The crew was very skilled and I fit in with them like a glove.
The Rig was clean and machinery was well kept. The captain was always willing to help if needed. Laundry was good, and the housekeeping.
Food was good too.

Dante Fox
Satisfying employment
Offshore Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2016
I started out in Australia and went to the med and India working in many countries there and back to Malaysia and Sarawak.
Pros
Lots of traveling
Cons
Trying to do too much with not enough.
Review
Mechanic 1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2016
Enjoyed working for this company. Learned new things to further my employment. Started at the bottom and worked my way to mechanic. When the economy crashed I was laid off. Then started with another company.
Great Experience
Rig Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  OffshoreAugust 7, 2016
I have enjoyed working rotational offshore for the past 11+ years. Unfortunately due to the downturn in the oil industry it is time to look for new employment