Atwood Oceanics Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding and productive place to work
A.B. Seaman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2016
My department handles all of the safety aspects on the oil rig I work on. From the lifeboats to the fire extinguishers and everything safety related in between. Most of the people that work on my rig are thought of as family and are very close because we spend 21 days with each other at a time. The hardest part of my job is being away from my children as a single father and only being able to talk to them on the phone and over the internet while at work!
What I love most about my job are the challenges I have to be given a task and having the freedom to figure out the best way to complete job at hand
Pros
schedule:21 days of work-21 days off, free food, laundry service and living arrangements while at work
Cons
21 days aways from civilization at a time is the biggest con, I am missisng my children grow up
Productive and safe work place. Great management
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Working for Atwood taught me many different trades most of which were learned by hands on work. I was used from my head to my feet and the management was amazing. My co workers were another family to me, I spent more time with my co workers than I did my own family. The hardest part of the job was being in the middle of the ocean for 21 days at a time. The work was difficult at times, but as long as you worked safe and by company policy the jobs went by smooth. the most enjoyable part was being able to use my brain to tackle new tasks.
Pros
Safe work place, Great managment, Great co workers
Very nice work schedule, but too much instability.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2016
The work is not bad at all. The overall crew is pretty good. Too many "good-ole-boy" clicks. Makes it very hard to fit in. I learned more about specific drilling equipment. My co-workers are almost like family being we spend half of our lives together. Hardest part of the job is having to leave for three weeks straight. The most enjoyable is the fact of having basically three weeks of vacation every time I'm home.
Great Company Poor Management
Safety Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2016
Upper management on the rig is very cliquish and if you are not part of the "click" then they do not wish to see you succeed.
Small company feel, great colleagues and mgmt, good pay.
Senior Rig Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2015
Atwood Oceanics is a great place to work. The company hires great people, pays well and has a very nice office. Their fleet is very young and their focus on safety is genuine.

The only con I have is the company is very aggressive and ambitious and does not shy away from letting people go. There is a lot of turnover.
Pros
Good pay, nice office, great people, foosball table
Cons
High turnover
Great work atmosphere
3rd Assistant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2016
Great group of people on this rig, very hard working and safe group of people who know how to get the job done fast and efficiently
- I work 12 hours a day from 12:00pm to 12:00am and after 2 weeks have a short chance and we work from 12:00am to 12:00pm - I learned day by day we le
ASSISTANT DRILLER/PUMPMAN/DERRICKAMN (Former Employee) –  Guyana South AmericaJuly 19, 2015
- I learned day by day we learn a lot even you have enough experience but some thing a little bit chance.
- The management is important to obey always from the superior from the operation
- always be a friendly to your co-worker and work together as one family
- The hard part of the job when somebody not be cooperate and not care the job
- The most enjoyable part of the job when every one work together and sharing their experience
Pros
Assistant Driller
Cons
Pumpman
Interesting and Challenging Job
DP Rig Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  US Gulf of MexicoNovember 21, 2015
Good job with consistent challenges due to the technological advances in the equipment. All equipment is state of the art and requires extensive operational experience to operate and maintain.
I woud ove to get back to work with them
Barge Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2015
Atwood was one of the better places I have worked at I would love to be able to go back to work with them good people to work with.
All companies are the same in most cases.
Chief Mechanic Atwood Hunter Rig (Former Employee) –  AfricaMay 10, 2015
A typical work day could be anything from a leaky sink to repairs to any part of the main engines. As chief mechanic we were involved with any and all equipment. If a piece of equipment went down it had to be back up and running ASAP. My co-workers would be at the site to help in anyway. Management was always there for support and help also. Also making sure that the night crew were taking care of any and all equipment as needed. If no equipment was down we were busy doing PMs. Also just making walk arounds to check equipment for any strange sounds. Hardest part of the job was having to make things work even if correct parts were not available. The most enjoyable was nobody getting hurt and all equipment operating at the end of the day.
Pros
A good company all the way around.
Drafter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2012
It was my first job out of college and it was good. I was under contract for a year and learned little about offshore drilling. There was no training, just got in and started drawing. Pay was good with no benefits. The 2 other draftsmen that were there took me under their wing to teach me on their downtime.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
little training
Productive and fun workplace
CONTRACTOR- Sr. Maximo Technical Developer/Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston TXNovember 27, 2012
Productive and fun workplace best co-workers with good compensation and benefits with good opportunity for career advancement
Oil and Gas Industry
Safety Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Suriname, Guyana, Greece, Israel, ItalyMarch 30, 2015
Overall, there is nothing bad to say about Atwood or any of the other companies I've worked for...they all produce different challenges, all of them are learning opportunities.

A typical day on a drilling rig...morning reports had to be completed by 05:00, 05:45 pre-tour safety meeting for maintenance crew, in the office for any walk up business such as Permit to Work issues. 08:00 was the client operations meeting, then out on deck for coaching opportunities. 11:30 pre-tour safety meeting for drill crews going to work. In-house training needs conducted after lunch (these consisted of Confined Space Entry, Fire Watch, FOCUS, Working at Height etc). 17:45 pre-tour safety meeting for evening maintenance crew. 18:00 submit that days FOCUS (Behavior Base Safety) cards.
Pros
Working with different cultures
Cons
Time away from home.
Cut throat corporation
PROCUREMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  houston, txApril 21, 2015
work is good but management is not that well operated. co-workers are tolerable and there is not much to learn. i learned a little bit but not enough. coworkers are willing to teach but everyone is too busy.
Pros
the pay is good and lunches are long
Cons
company doesn't care about employees
Unsafe
Materials Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2015
Dangerous working conditions, offshore employees underpaid and over worked. Not paid for earned days off, required to work over excessively, expected to work more days than given off and not paid for extra days.
Pros
Non
Cons
Many
I would recommend Atwood for any open jobs.
Safety Training Coordinator (STC) (Current Employee) –  Gulf of ThailandJune 8, 2015
Atwood Oceanics is a great company. The long commute to Thailand is brutal. Good people to work with and the Thai personnel are very hard workers.
Pros
Retirement Bennefits outstanding -
Cons
Long commute
Atwood Oceanics Review
Functional Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2015
Most days consisted of resolving break-fixes in the production environments.

Working closely with in a small group allowed one to learn many different areas within the company.

The lean staff ideology built very close working relationships with team members.
Pros
flexibility, skill development and training.
Cons
lean resource management policy.
Challenging and rewarding career
Safety Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2014
In charge of training and safety for 180 personnel on an offshore drilling facility.
The hardest part of my job is just being away from family for 21 days at a time. Good trade off was equal time off. Still hard to miss my children growing up day to day.
Pros
time off
Cons
time spent away at work
Good Company
Materialsman/Supply Chain Management (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2014
Atwood is a great company to work for. Lacking leadership and experience.
Pros
experiance
Cons
no leadership
Excellent Contract Job
Executive Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
I coordinated travel, maintained calendars, expense reports, organized & maintained personnel files, created excel spreadsheet & powerpoint presentation's.