Auburn University

Auburn University Employee Reviews

A perfect job to have while attending a university
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 9, 2012
While my job did not take up very many hours in a week. I was technically on duty and responsible for my residents 24/7. I was responsible for maintaining an orderly community in the residence halls. I facilitated social interaction and group building activities that fit into an academic environment. I learned much about interpersonal communication and how to deal with countless types of challenges. Whenever I disagreed with management, I felt it was my duty to express my concern. We maintained a favorable relationship.

My co-workers were a diverse and exciting bunch of individuals. Our bond strengthened the more we worked together. I would say the most difficult aspect of my job was maintaining a relationship with every resident in my building. 300 people can be difficult to keep track of. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my residents and giving them a proper environment to learn and grow as individuals.
Pros
free housing, monthly stipend, mixed well with college life
Cons
management sometimes disconnected with others
Working at Auburn University at the Student Union Building gave me the knowledge and experience to become a better Building Specialist.
Building Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day at work would always consist of following the schedule showing the rooms set up for different meetings for the day. Once the rooms were set up, then you would go to your assigned area to begin your daily duties.
I have learned to manage my time in a timely manner to make sure all my work is done at the the end of the day.
I could not have had a better management team if I had picked them myself.
My co-workers were always there to pitch in and help, if help was needed.
The hardest part of the job was setting up tables an chairs for over 300 guest.
The most enjoyable part of my job was going to work and working with people who also like being on the job. I also enjoyed going to seminars and learning different technique to make my job better.
Pros
our bosses would take us to lunch on them, as well as fun acitivies such as bowling.
Working nonstop but the customers and co-workers made it worthwhile.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 10, 2012
Each day we came 4 hours before a game would start to prepare for the customers. First, we did inventory to know what we had to begin with. Then we cleaned the whole consession stand. Next, we began to prepare the food, put up displays and organize everything. Soon the rush of customers will start coming, helping with directions, taking orders and working nonstop.
This lasted until 11:30pm. The manager made sure we were always working. My co-workers were always on the job. During my time there, I learned how to work at a fast pace, make hard decisons, learn how to take 3 to 4 different answers accuratey at once. And smile at every customer. The hardest part about the job was you were on your feet for 12 hours and more. But the most enjoyable part was the people I worked with. And the customers that made work fun and the time pass by.
Pros
improves working skills
Great area for retirement
LEAD PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALFebruary 3, 2014
Auburn University is a great place to work depending on what department you are placed within. All jobs have pros and cons, but I hold high respect for those that have a position of leadership and can lead fellow co-workers as well as stand up for their team when needed. I don't feel as though I have that here currently.. I love my job and my co-workers are a pleasure to work with. I currently work with the student population, servicing their pharmacy needs. I enjoy being the mother figure to most of the students away from home and family when they are not feeling their best. As being a lead technician, my day is always full of continual paperwork, filling prescriptions, assisting the pharmacist and teaching pharmacy students the daily operations within a pharmacy before graduating.
Pros
benefits, work environment, and 2 week paid christmas break.
Cons
having someone that believes in your work capablities and standing up for what is right and wrong.
Productive and easy going work
GTA (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 13, 2015
Working at Auburn university has been an excellent experience. The environment is perfect for new teachers and they are always willing to help with anything you need.

A normal day at work involves tutoring the students during the office hours, then teach a class for 50 minutes.

The co-workers provide with help at anytime, since most of us are classmates on the Master's program.

The hardest part of the job is the absence of grammar teaching in the class. The students are supposed to do that on their own, and sometimes it implies that they do not know how structures work.

The most rewarding part of the job, and what makes me want to be a teacher is the feeling I get when something hard that needs to be explained is understood by the students. That's the beauty of this job.
Pros
Good payment for a GTA program
Cons
lack of jobs after the GTA program is finished
Job on campus while I attending college at Auburn
Accountant Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 17, 2014
This was such a wonderful job, it was very lenient with the hours that I worked per week while I was a full time student at Auburn. I assisted the accountant of the Department of Crop, Soil, and Environmental Sciences with departmental accounts, grants, etc. I worked very closely with excel, as this job required balances to be updated once a month for all of the individual accounts. While working for Auburn University I encountered a transition in accountants as one moved and another was hired. The ladies in the front office were a job to work with and helped me in any way that they possible could. The hardest part of this job was how tedious entering everything into excel spreadsheets can be, with one simple mistake the whole balance can be wrong. It requires your maximum attention, and sometimes double checking your work.
It is very interesting and enjoyable to work as a GTA. I have learned a lot of things when I am teach to my students.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 12, 2014
GTA ( Graduate Teaching Assistant) is a position from where one can learn a lot of thing about a subject matter which s/he teach. As a GTA I have learned how to make a presentation, how to express a new idea with the students, how one can make a idea understandable to every students, etc. It also helped me to develop my communication skill. It is a always a challenging but enjoyable. Here I have a few of my fellow GTA. We have worked together, discussed the course material, set up the syllabus for different lectures and topics. It helps me to learn to work in a group. The most challenging thing to working as a GTA is sometimes students ask a very intelligent question which is difficult to answer. Above all working in Auburn University as a GTA is very interesting and it makes me competent to face the future challenges that I might encounter in future.
Great team building experience
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 19, 2013
Being an orientation leader required patience, tolerance, creativity, and a sense of humor. Many of the students did not want to participate in the (mandatory) orientation because they felt it was a waste of time or that it was boring. They just wanted to get their class schedule and go about the rest of their day. Relaying the same information to each orientation group was just as boring to the orientation leaders so, we would sit in the Student Union and brainstorm ways to shake things up and compare notes on what methods we had used in the past that we felt had worked the best at keeping the student's interest. Working with disinterested college students was difficult but, having them remember you when walking down the concourse or seeing them in the same class made it worthwhile.
A challenging, but plausible and full of opportunities workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 12, 2015
Being in charge of the experimental side of the research, I work coordination with the chemistry department in preparing the research samples. Each sample takes 1 to 3 hours to be ready depending on the method of preparation and solidification.
Then, I would run several tests to measure thermal conductivity of the samples among other properties.
I do have two co-workers, a chemistry student and a mechanical engineering student who is responsible of the computational side of the research.
Meetings are held every three weeks, with a quarterly progress meeting every 3 months. Presentation lasts from 30 to 45 minutes each.
The hardest part about the job is the research part of it, since the introduction of nano-particles into PCM for energy storage is a new idea.
Fun job, very rewarding
Resident Assistant - Full-time (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALFebruary 13, 2014
I have enjoyed being a Resident Assistant for the 2013-2014 school year primarily because of the relationships I have established with my residents. Several of them have told me I am someone they look up to, and I have helped a few of them through personal issues. The least enjoyable part of the job is the paperwork that follows an incident report, but I understand that it is necessary, so I do not mind. I work well with the other RAs and the Hall Director in my building, and we work together to coordinate hall events and floor events. This job has greatly improved my personal skills, and I have received training on conflict resolution and crisis response.
Pros
housing is paid for, and i have my own room
Cons
being woken up at three in the morning to let residents in the building
Conducive and friendly learning environment
Course Instructor (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 14, 2013
Being a graduate student has been both challenging and rewarding. I have learned a lot of skills related to data entry, lab management, time management, public speaking and presentation and computer programming. During a typical day at work, I program experiments, collect data, analyze data, prepare manuscripts for publication, prepare presentations for international conferences, train undergraduate research assistants to enter data correctly, and troubleshoot programs or data entries when applicable. The most difficult aspect of the job is the balance between my personal and work life. Conversely, the most enjoyable aspect of the job is the satisfaction of successfully completing a project and accomplishing goals set by myself and by my mentor.
Pros
satisfaction of completing challenging work
Cons
long hours, little pay, balance between home and work life
Customer centered and technical growth
Assistant Director of University Scholarships (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 2, 2015
• Supervise daily professional, administrative, temporary, and student staff.
• Oversee all technical functions in the office and trouble shoot as needed..
• Maintain and review Donor budgets.
• Awarding, canceling, disbursement, and reporting of funds for Donor funded university scholarships.
• Create and update rules, reports, and Population Selection in Banner.
• Oversee the administration of scholarship publications, website development, event planning, and all staff training.
• Coordinate the participation of the Office of University Scholarships at internal and external function.
• Met with parents/students daily and presented scholarship information to 300+ parent/students monthly.
Pros
Meeting and developing new relationships. Technical responsibilities.
Cons
Required extensive travel.
Wonderful part time job working with children
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Auburn, UniversityMarch 4, 2013
Currently, I work at an Elementary school in the after school program. I get to work and help make snack for the children. After snack and recess I help the children in homework time and then we go to sessions. Two days a week I manage arts and crafts club, and other days I help monitor the free play area.

I work with other college students, which would probably be one of the most challenging parts of the job. We all differ in back grounds and approaches and it can be difficult to balance our tactics but it is always worth the effort when we do.
My First Job in USA
Part Time Student center game room attendant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 2, 2015
Since childhood I was addicted to PC games and I was very happy when I heard that I was selected as game room attendant in my college.My supervisor is very friendly to me she is like my best friend and co-workers are also very supportive.The most enjoyable part about this job is that you are surrounded with charming people all the time, you can play games if you want and you got paid for that.As I am masters student I've lots of assignments and practicals to do so my supervisor let me do my study when rush is less in game room...
Currently doing freelance for the Office of Communications and Marketing along with other departments
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 21, 2013
I love working with the Auburn Marketing department. The projects I have been given, tend to be the larger projects such as book and magazines. They do this so they can free up their inhouse designers for other projects.

I throughly enjoy working with all the people at Auburn. We talk on the phone or email daily to keep in contact. I have learned so much from the Supervisor of Creative Services, and in turn it has honed my skills. I love learning new things!
Enthusiasm
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 3, 2014
Tested the accuracy of the data of new and original system (including errors and omissions in original system, and errors generated during system upgrade) to ensure the safety of 1.5 billion CNY of provident fund
Found information inconsistence between two systems. Put forward a plan according to Deposit account, Name and ID to make comparison, which was accepted by group
Pointed out a serious error in new system about counting days of interest, which would increase customers’ interest charges, and provided new method to count the days of interest, which was adopted to correct the program after discussion
Secure, Flexible student job
OIT Helpdesk Consultant - Part-time (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 5, 2012
On campus Student/Faculty IT support is the ideal student job. The work takes skill, and the student employees are better compensated the more experience they gain (regular raises). The job is very flexible, adjusting easily with the somewhat unpredictable college schedule. Job security is top notch. This does, however, lead to decreased accountability across the board. The full time employees are not very reliable.
Pros
challenging work, flexible schedule, excellent pay (for a student hourly worker)
Cons
very low accountability, zero incentive structure, poor management.
Awesome environment, great for families
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 11, 2013
AU is a great school with the average amount of politics and issues. what makes it fantastic is its location. it truly is 'the loveliest village on the plain'. the people are friendly, the schools are excellent and its a great location to raise a family. as for work, it was good, the learning was not as challenging as I would have liked and there's not much career advancement here unless you have a PhD (it is a university town).
Pros
great people, great for families
Cons
town itself can be a bit boring- great for families, bad for singles
Working with chidren
Educator (Former Employee) –  Clanton, ALDecember 7, 2012
My job with Auburn allowed me to work and encourage kids. I really loved my job. The other teachers were great people to work with!!
My Extension co-workers were more than co-workers but my family as well. There was never "back biting" or negativity in our office.
The hardest part of my job was having to leave when I moved back home to Greenville, AL.
Pros
could come and go as needed without question. time was flexible.
Cons
none that i can think of at this time.
Great benefits and vacation time
Assistant II, Financial-Central (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 20, 2015
It is a great place to work. The hours are great and the benefits a wonderful. I liked it there until I got seriously sick last year. No one explained FMLA rules with me. They weren't very understanding about how sick I really was. But I learned a lot from working there and if you get in the right department you can be very happy.
Pros
Benefits and vacations
Cons
Some of the people you work for.

4.5