Auburn University Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome environment, great for families
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 11, 2013
AU is a great school with the average amount of politics and issues. what makes it fantastic is its location. it truly is 'the loveliest village on the plain'. the people are friendly, the schools are excellent and its a great location to raise a family. as for work, it was good, the learning was not as challenging as I would have liked and there's not much career advancement here unless you have a PhD (it is a university town).
Pros
great people, great for families
Cons
town itself can be a bit boring- great for families, bad for singles
Incredible institution to work for and with great opportunities for advancement
Special Projects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 8, 2012
I learned more on the job than any classroom could ever teach me about day-to-day operations of a nonprofit and business, event planning, outreach programming, program development and stewardship.

The most rewarding part of my job was knowing that my work was laying the foundation of philanthropy at Auburn University for years to come by improving the quality of life in Auburn and abroad.
professional experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 22, 2012
I experienced a professional environment in my group.
1. Maintaining fixed timings for work.
2. Regular group meetings.
3. Presentations in the group meeting.

I have learnt new software, new concepts, how to over come errors while designing, how can one justify the designs etc.

The hardest part of the job is to execute the design with no errors and still getting the wrong results and the most enjoying part is to find out the mistake in the design.
Secure, Flexible student job
OIT Helpdesk Consultant - Part-time (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 5, 2012
On campus Student/Faculty IT support is the ideal student job. The work takes skill, and the student employees are better compensated the more experience they gain (regular raises). The job is very flexible, adjusting easily with the somewhat unpredictable college schedule. Job security is top notch. This does, however, lead to decreased accountability across the board. The full time employees are not very reliable.
Pros
challenging work, flexible schedule, excellent pay (for a student hourly worker)
Cons
very low accountability, zero incentive structure, poor management.
Wonderful part time job working with children
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Auburn, UniversityMarch 4, 2013
Currently, I work at an Elementary school in the after school program. I get to work and help make snack for the children. After snack and recess I help the children in homework time and then we go to sessions. Two days a week I manage arts and crafts club, and other days I help monitor the free play area.

I work with other college students, which would probably be one of the most challenging parts of the job. We all differ in back grounds and approaches and it can be difficult to balance our tactics but it is always worth the effort when we do.
Currently doing freelance for the Office of Communications and Marketing along with other departments
Freelance Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 21, 2013
I love working with the Auburn Marketing department. The projects I have been given, tend to be the larger projects such as book and magazines. They do this so they can free up their inhouse designers for other projects.

I throughly enjoy working with all the people at Auburn. We talk on the phone or email daily to keep in contact. I have learned so much from the Supervisor of Creative Services, and in turn it has honed my skills. I love learning new things!
Graduate Student Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 23, 2012
The only way to get this job is to be a grad student who qualifies for a stipend. I taught 3 classes a week (on Friday). I prepared lectures and tests. It's a great way to develop public speaking abilities and to further your knowledge on the subject. However combining this workload with your graduate studies can be a pain sometimes.
Pros
good support, great learning experience
Cons
balancing teaching with studies, no benefits
Working with chidren
Educator (Former Employee) –  Clanton, ALDecember 7, 2012
My job with Auburn allowed me to work and encourage kids. I really loved my job. The other teachers were great people to work with!!
My Extension co-workers were more than co-workers but my family as well. There was never "back biting" or negativity in our office.
The hardest part of my job was having to leave when I moved back home to Greenville, AL.
Pros
could come and go as needed without question. time was flexible.
Cons
none that i can think of at this time.
Great atmosphere to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn , AlabamaJune 12, 2013
My typical day starts off by checking printers and make sure office supplies are stocked and ready for the day. I sit at the front desk of Samford Hall and help direct visitors and students to their desired location. Im basically on call to run various errand on and off campus for different departments in our building. Also i am Expected to give a little history background for Samford Hall to visitors who come for tours.
smart people, productive environment
Chassis Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 20, 2014
Auburn Formula SAE has taught me the most of the real world engineering. it is much more than just textbook problems, most of the team members are smart and helpful leading to overall progress of individuals as well as the team. I owe a lot to the AU Formula SAE team. It was a pleasure being a part of this team.
Great learning environment with excellent guidance from Professors.
Stage Manager (student) (Former Employee) –  Auburn University Theatre DepartmentDecember 2, 2011
Working at Auburn University while I was a student was a wonderful experience. I gained many new skills and was able to work closely with others who have worked in the field professionally. I did not get paid, but feel that the experience was well worth my time and labor.
Pros
mentors who were very helpful, and good work experience.
Cons
extremely long hours.
Fun job, very rewarding
Resident Assistant - Full-time (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALFebruary 13, 2014
I have enjoyed being a Resident Assistant for the 2013-2014 school year primarily because of the relationships I have established with my residents. Several of them have told me I am someone they look up to, and I have helped a few of them through personal issues. The least enjoyable part of the job is the paperwork that follows an incident report, but I understand that it is necessary, so I do not mind. I work well with the other RAs and the Hall Director in my building, and we work together to coordinate hall events and floor events. This job has greatly improved my personal skills, and I have received training on conflict resolution and crisis response.
Pros
housing is paid for, and i have my own room
Cons
being woken up at three in the morning to let residents in the building
Fun workplace with friendly staff.
Head Student Assistant (supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 27, 2012
As supervisor, I typically sat at a desk for a couple hours a day checking the progress of our different programs (team registration, surveys, etc.) and answering any questions about Intramurals. I was in charge of the staff as far as discipline, scheduling, marketing, and programming. Outside the office I was either setting up for events or being an official.
Learning Work Experience Phase
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 17, 2013
I gained the following skills working at Auburn University:
• Conducted research on segregation of blended fertilizers using spinner disc spreader.
• Carried out research on vane design of the spinner disc spreaders.
• Assisted as a team member in various other Precision Ag based projects for crop production.
• Help students collecting graduate research data.
Rewarding academic setting, great experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 24, 2014
This was a great place to pursue a graduate degree, and the English Department was very helpful. The department provides its GTAs with invaluable training and experience for teaching or other jobs that require skills such as speaking, presenting, synthesis, planning, multi-tasking, time management, and interpersonal skills.
Very Growth Oriented Work Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALFebruary 21, 2015
Auburn University is very research-oriented, and growth-oriented organization. My adviser always promotes individualism in work. All the professors I took class are also very supportive.
Great team building experience
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 19, 2013
Being an orientation leader required patience, tolerance, creativity, and a sense of humor. Many of the students did not want to participate in the (mandatory) orientation because they felt it was a waste of time or that it was boring. They just wanted to get their class schedule and go about the rest of their day. Relaying the same information to each orientation group was just as boring to the orientation leaders so, we would sit in the Student Union and brainstorm ways to shake things up and compare notes on what methods we had used in the past that we felt had worked the best at keeping the student's interest. Working with disinterested college students was difficult but, having them remember you when walking down the concourse or seeing them in the same class made it worthwhile.
Graduate Research Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  AuburnApril 28, 2015
Research was challenging and my mentor was very helpful.There was a work and study balance and I am working on a paper now.
Work skills, Technical Knowledge, and Aquaculture knowledge.
Aquaculture Assistant-Seasonal Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Gulf Shores, ALJuly 3, 2014
Responsible for fixing and maintaining aerators, wiring pumps and motors. Repairing 110/220V electrical plugs, cords and outlets Record and enter data for nutrition experiments with fish and shrimp. Helped teach students how to operate and repair equipment.
Great work environment
TES Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 21, 2012
I worked a 40 hour work week. I worked in the department of ACES. I created spreadsheets, excel worksheets and corresponding emails to extend knowledge to coworkers from their meetings of gathered data and surveys held throughout surrounding counties on Prostate Awareness.
Pros
relax atmosphere
Cons
parking was difficult on the campus most days

4.5