Audubon Engineering Employee Reviews in United States

Loved working for them until I got laid-off while being pregnant!
mechanical designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Loved the flexible work hours with core work hours where you could adjust your schedule for your family needs. Wished management would have prepared better so they could have kept more of us employees within down times. Job security - I never thought I would have lost my job 7 months pregnant with this company but I did. It has put a hardship on me and my growing family at the worst time. That is about as low as a company can go. Very disappointed in their decision. My design manager made my job culture very relaxed, very open door policy so I am very thankful for that.
Pros
Lots of company functions, good benefits, open door policy
Cons
lack of preparation for hard times, letting 50% of staffing go
Audubon is a great place to work
Mechanical Design Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2016
I managed up to 45 piping designers and drafters in the 3 years and 8 months that I was there. We had a really good group of people and executed many projects successfully for many clients. Unfortunately with the downturn in oil prices, (as everywhere else) Audubon was force to reduce staff because of lack or projects. It would be a pleasure to return to Audubon in the same role or continue my career in the same position at another great place.
Pros
Great people and salary
Summary
MANAGER - ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2016
Work time was pretty flexible and the benefits were above average. Biggest negative was company management and their envolvement in the operation of the company.
Pros
Flexible time and benefits
Cons
Management controls and envolvement.
I enjoyed working for them, but they no longer have a project for me.
Right Of Way Agent (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 25, 2016
Typical ROW agent day, can vary quite a bit. From contacting new or previously contacted land owners, to negotiating deals, to tracking down persons that other agents were not able to find.
Learned quite a bit about the ROW industry from the project with them, and moved into higher responsibilities than I was initially brought on for.
Co-workers were co-workers; can have a few you may not like, get a long with, or like how they work, but, most of them were just fine and you learn to deal with ones you do not like by brushing it off and staying on your tasks at hand.
Hardest part was dealing with stubborn land owners.
Most enjoyable was the opportunity to meet all sorts of new people, talk with them and build a good relationship.
Nice place to work; hope they survive.
Mechanical and Piping Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CONovember 12, 2015
Really enjoyed working here. The managing partners are very people-oriented and care very much about the lives of the people that work there. But the engineering services business is a tough place to compete for work, especially when oil prices are down. If you don't have a plan in place prior, you will be faced with tough decisions that you won't want to have to make. You have to have a strategy in which you understand who you are as a company, and how to sell your brand, or it doesn't matter how nice you are, you won't survive or grow.
Pros
Great personnel selection and culture
Cons
Needs to figure out how to plan for oil price volatility.
Good company over all.
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2016
Opportunity to learn and develop your skills. Management did not have your back and were not in constant communication with client. No feed back from management to employees.
Great company to make hay while the sun shines
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time there and was proud of the work we were able to do.
I hope that things turn around soon for the great people still there and that the company continues to grow. Great work culture, but could do more on the personal development side. There was a great start, I hope they can continue.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Tied to energy market
Not a good Fit
Sr. Lead Pipeline Mapper/Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2016
Great pay, great looking offices, great equipment...and fun people and culture. However, management and leadership are sorely lacking. Not enough Sr. Engineers employed here, too many young professionals with not enough experience to lead teams.
Engaging
Engineering/Estimating Manager (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXFebruary 8, 2016
I was the engineering manager for an office of approx. 50 people. I was responsible for setting up the office, hiring all technical personnel and scheduling all work and budgets within the office. It was a multi-discipline office with a mixture of degreed engineers and seasoned designers. In addition to engineering efforts I was also over the estimating side of the office.
Excellent Company
Sr. Right of Way Agent (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 16, 2016
The most professional company I have ever worked for in my 10 years career as a Professional Landman/Right of Way Agent...
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Selecting Experienced Crewchiefs with knowledge of all aspects of business.
Na
Instrument Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 29, 2016
It is a decent company to work for in the past, but due to the down turn of market place, the company is in reduced stage. I will recommend the company when the industry up ticks again in the future.
Pros
good training program
Cons
low booked works
Overall, great company
Sr. Civil/Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2012
Good atmosphere, flexible schedules, family-first attitude, great work-sponsored events. Management in some areas are good, but incompetent in others. Good job security, but not much room for encouragement in career advancement or raises. Great benefits (several medical plan options, employer contribution 3% with or without employee contributions, paid disability and life insurance). Quality in work is inconsistent, based upon project deadlines and company drafting standards not being practiced or trained for.
Pros
flexible hours, family-friendly, great benefits
Cons
employee reviews / pay adjustments are not consistent or often enough
Great Place to work if you
Sr. Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 25, 2014
I loved working here, the people I worked with were amazing, and I learned a lot of very useful experience working with the great employees as well, but the management is horrible. There is no job advancement, unless you're personal friends with someone in management you are not moving up within the company.
Pros
great team atmosphere, fun place to work, alot of team building activities, and good insurance
Cons
no job advancement, not alot of job security, management members that would lie to your face
Poor Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  HoustonSeptember 2, 2014
Upper management on a severe ego trip. Extremely stressful environment driven by the whims of senior management.

No job security even with stellar performance. Just about everyone over 40 laid off in massive downsizing with no warning.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
no job security
worked as in plant project manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2015
Worked as a contract placement project engineer inside a refinery, Did not have Audubon Engineers as a direct employeer,
Productive and fun workplace with a ping pong table from example applied perfectly
Regulatory Compliance / Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2015
A typical day would be variable and dependent on project. From creation of a SAFE chart and Safety Flow schematic from P&IDs / creating an Instrument Detail drawing. Creating a Training program for engineering, to review of Federal Register for changes that might impact current projects.
Working for an engineering company with multiple disciplines allowed for a lot of learning opportunities.
Management style was somewhat casual, with an open door policy. Interest in employee opinions was regularly sought for improvement.
My co-workers were some of the best, from Mechanical, Process, Civil, Instrumentation Engineering and Project Managers & Engineers.
I would count freezing or cooking in the South Texas desert on occasional field jobs as one of the hard parts.
Walking a new engineer through a field facility and explaining how it all worked and see the lights going off as they understood or having an engineer say "so that's where that comes from" during a course in Code of Federal Regulations would fall under a most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
a very real sense of camaraderie within the project teams
Cons
current oil field economics
Great place to gain experience and enjoy your work
Mechanical Pipe Drafter and Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Audubon was great at hands on learning and people took the time to show me effiecient ways to perform certain tasks. They were extremely encouraging about asking questions and never made you feel like there was a dumb question.
Pros
there's always somwhere to get free food. great for when you first start and are in between checks
Cons
lack of job security and difficult to get switched to permant
Great place to gain experience
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2015
Typical day started with meeting one on one with your lead which is good to make things personal and for feeling less like a number. Because of the small environment, deadlines can become cramped but you wanted to do all you could to meet said deadline. Plenty of training, free lunches and people that have advice to give.
Pros
Small groups, free lunches
Cons
Took longer than advertised to become permanent
Productive and Fun Workplace
Mechanical Designer III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 30, 2015
Audubon Companies is a company with a great atmosphere and productive workplace to work in. No walking on eggshells with management, open doors at all times.
friendly atmosphere..free breakfast and lunch often..employee get togethers
Checker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2015
A nice work environment, and as an experienced design checker was able to explain the work to a few of the inexperienced cad operators working at Audubon, Being on contract, did not have much contact with management, but did discuss some of the work problems with the group supervisor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Audubon Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8