Audubon Nature Institute Employee Reviews

Experience at Audubon Nature Institute
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 1, 2016
Working at Audubon has allowed me the chance to learn many skills. Many training classes are offered to grow your knowledge in many aspects. Through my department I have gained many life long friends inside and outside of my department. The worst part about my job is the minimal chance for advancement.
Pros
benefits, environment, co-workers
Cons
limited advancement, very few pay raises
Nice place to work
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 16, 2016
Nice place to work. Nice people , good benefits. Room for advancement. Flexible work schedule. Pay is ok. Place of peace of you enjoy working with people and animals. Always have some kind of event going on.
Pros
Nice place to work, nice benefits, very nice people
Cons
Working in catering if your a hourly employee the work hours or up and down
Ok 9:30-5 job.
Membership Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans,LAJuly 23, 2016
I can say good things about Audubon but then I can say bad things. I worked in memberships a total of three months before I was fired for " job performance and other things" but since no one in memberships know how to keep their mouth closed I found out I was lied on by a co-worker about something that never happened. The worst part is management didn't even have the nerve to say what it was about they just said this and that. It was ok with work/life balance seeing we never went over 20 hours on average but guest services received 40+ every week and could get OT for events we had scheduled in. It was a pretty good job since we got paid to sit down basically.I would not apply or for membership unless you have someone to pay all your bills and you just need this money to have fun, but if you have bills and kids apply for GS and get your 4-5 days a week.
Zoo Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 8, 2016
The animal staff were good considering it's a zoo. Unfortunately bureaucracy seems to have a good hold on the company. Progress is slow.
Pros
benefits are good, beautiful place to work
A good first job
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 8, 2015
This is a customer service job, so it brings all the inherent problems with that position with it. The manager we had when I started was great, but she was eventually replaced by someone far less competent. The work is relatively easy but can be frustrating. Most co-workers were pleasant but some were lazy or rude. Virtually no benefits or job advancement. Hours tend to be pretty standard, but there were times where they weren't (I worked two full weeks straight once...)
Pros
Easy, no prior experience needed, free admission to Audubon locations for yourself plus friends and family
Cons
Soul crushing, poor management, some co-workers are lazy or incompetent
Great Place To Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 20, 2016
It's pretty cool to say I get to see all of nature and its beauty by simply going to work everyday. The daily interaction with guests is so diverse bcuz tourists come often & are amazed at how different facility is versus their own. The locals are always visiting which makes it easy to remember them & be personal. The staff is friendly & make sure to do their best to ensure a great experience for guaranteed returns.
Pros
Great Holiday Parties, Annual Free Passes, Free Entry
Cons
Slow Season Less Money To Earn, Never a Weekend Off
productive and fun place to work
Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 10, 2016
the most memorable time I had working with Audubon. a guest try bring her dog in. and I explain to her that the dog couldn't come in the facility because we only aloud sericve dogs. on grounds and these dogs can sense when somethings not going right with the ower. so she ask for a manger I got her the manger and they explain the same thing and offer to take the dog in there office. while she enjoy the zoo she still wasn't happy that she had leave ha dog with us so she ask for a refund and send in a email.
Pros
chirstmas party
Cons
short breaks
Easy Job
Member/Guest Services (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 19, 2016
It's a pretty easy job, the task you're assigned to are not hard at all. The only downfall is the management and there is no room to grow, what-so-ever.
The Store Department Sucks
GIFT SHOP ASSOCIATE AUDUBON NATURE INSTITUTE (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 6, 2016
If you're going to apply, DO NOT go work in the stores. Management sucks. You'd never move up. They pretend to be nice in the beginning. Everyone who gets on at this job, quit less than two months.
Pros
Associates Are Nice.
Cons
Management sucks, trust none of them!!
Education Dept. Coordinator
Education & Volunteers Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 6, 2014
Okay company to work for, okay benefits. You can't build a real career, just a regular job. but don't look to build a real career to take care of your family. You don't get compensated well unless your un upper management.
Pros
good benefits, work life balance
Cons
Salary is terrible for lower level employees, but Managers, VP's or well compendates with $70, 000-$150, 000 salaries
Human Resource
Intern (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 8, 2013
A typical day at Audubon was working with employees and shadowing the HR Specialist. It was a very eventful and fun job. I learned a lot about Human Resources, constructed a Workers Compensation Analysis. My coworkers were wonderful very cheerful and full of spirit all the time. The hardest part of my job was sometimes running out of work to do. The most enjoyable part was learning something new about benefits, payroll, etc.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Retail (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 7, 2015
enjoy my time there was a great way of learning about animals and not becoming a trainer also you get to visit all of the exhibits.
Pros
free admission to everything have to offer
Cons
short breaks no benefits
I enjoyed meeting people and watching the insects.
Facility Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 9, 2016
On a typical day I come in start checking the restroom make sure there isn't any spills or bugs let loose. I enjoy the most is going outside to make sure its clean around the building to enjoy the weather.
Audubon
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 12, 2013
Audubon Zoo was a great job while i was in High School only worked weekends and was off in a reasonable time to still have a social life.Great pay for a teenager, benefits only available if your hired on
as full time.
Boring work place with extremely rude customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 2, 2013
I ony enjoyed the pay. The employees was sort of treated poorly.
Pros
the benifits
Cons
hours
Underpayed and overworked is definitely essential for working at this place...
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 2, 2012
Compensation is definitely a deciding factor when you work for this particular "non-profit organization" even though ANI is a public entity that works for the City of New Orleans, we still don't get the same benefits or opportunities like city employees.

ANI is consider a non-priority at the most when dealing for grants and other monies.

Morale is scattered among who you talk to and interact with. Some stay in the long haul because they're content or like it, some stay because they can't find anything else to do or afraid to look. I'm looking for better opportunities.

With today's economy and job market does not help the fact that ANI has not given some form off raises to employees since Hurricane Katrina is a devastating blow and shows how much the institute as a whole values their employees.

From what I observed is that several people quit/resign at least every month. Hate to say it but ANI is like the Walmart of employee turnovers when it comes to Zoos & Aquarium.

I **used** to work for the maintenance department within the Aquarium that only has a staff of 3 including me. It's very frustrating that they expect us to be miracle workers while trying to tend to everything in the building, in addition to the Insectarium and off site facilities. My pretentious "manager" was not prone to new ideas from myself of anyone around him, which is hard to believe since he's been working there for 20 years. Thus, laid me off on some poor excuse.

Trust me, avoid the Zoo, Aquarium, and the Insectarium. It's just money wasted on something that won't give back to the employees.
Pros
they don't care about the employee.
Cons
see review.
Great Place to work
Area Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 16, 2013
The best job ever!! The management team was very approachable, and the work life balance was the best. Audubon was very good and well known in the community and always gave back.
Pros
admission to the zoo and aquarium, everything
Cons
Left
A great job for high school/college students, but definitely not a career!
Data Entry/Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 17, 2015
Great coworkers, but terrible upper management.
Wish there were more opportunities for growth and learning at the company.
Pros
Free entry to the different parks
Cons
No opportunity for growth
Fun family friendly work place
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 14, 2014
a typical day at work would be setting my employees up to open, making sure we have enough product for the day. In management I've learned to deal with different types of people and attitudes. My co-workers are very fun to work with, we all have a great work relationship. There's really no hard days unless we are understaffed. The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with the different guest that visit.
Great Place to work
Gift Shop Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 7, 2013
A typical day at work is being able to help customers find whatever thry might be looking for. I've learned ultimate customer service and that the customer is always right. The management could be better. My co-workers value team work. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help the customer but the most enjoyable is helping customers save with the discounts we offer. The opportunities are great, the work flow is positive,and it's full of energy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Audubon Nature Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7