Audubon Nature Institute Employee Reviews in United States

A good first job
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 8, 2015
This is a customer service job, so it brings all the inherent problems with that position with it. The manager we had when I started was great, but she was eventually replaced by someone far less competent. The work is relatively easy but can be frustrating. Most co-workers were pleasant but some were lazy or rude. Virtually no benefits or job advancement. Hours tend to be pretty standard, but there were times where they weren't (I worked two full weeks straight once...)
Pros
Easy, no prior experience needed, free admission to Audubon locations for yourself plus friends and family
Cons
Soul crushing, poor management, some co-workers are lazy or incompetent
The Store Department Sucks
GIFT SHOP ASSOCIATE AUDUBON NATURE INSTITUTE (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 6, 2016
If you're going to apply, DO NOT go work in the stores. Management sucks. You'd never move up. They pretend to be nice in the beginning. Everyone who gets on at this job, quit less than two months.
Pros
Associates Are Nice.
Cons
Management sucks, trust none of them!!
I enjoyed meeting people and watching the insects.
Facility Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 9, 2016
On a typical day I come in start checking the restroom make sure there isn't any spills or bugs let loose. I enjoy the most is going outside to make sure its clean around the building to enjoy the weather.
Easy Job
Member/Guest Services (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 19, 2016
It's a pretty easy job, the task you're assigned to are not hard at all. The only downfall is the management and there is no room to grow, what-so-ever.
Education Dept. Coordinator
Education & Volunteers Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 6, 2014
Okay company to work for, okay benefits. You can't build a real career, just a regular job. but don't look to build a real career to take care of your family. You don't get compensated well unless your un upper management.
Pros
good benefits, work life balance
Cons
salary is terrible for lower level employees, but managers, vp's or well compendates with $70, 000-$150, 000 salaries
A great job for high school/college students, but definitely not a career!
Data Entry/Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 17, 2015
Great coworkers, but terrible upper management.
Wish there were more opportunities for growth and learning at the company.
Pros
Free entry to the different parks
Cons
No opportunity for growth
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate/Retail (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 7, 2015
enjoy my time there was a great way of learning about animals and not becoming a trainer also you get to visit all of the exhibits.
Pros
free admission to everything have to offer
Cons
short breaks no benefits
Great Place to work
Area Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 16, 2013
The best job ever!! The management team was very approachable, and the work life balance was the best. Audubon was very good and well known in the community and always gave back.
Pros
admission to the zoo and aquarium, everything
Cons
left
Fun family friendly work place
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 14, 2014
a typical day at work would be setting my employees up to open, making sure we have enough product for the day. In management I've learned to deal with different types of people and attitudes. My co-workers are very fun to work with, we all have a great work relationship. There's really no hard days unless we are understaffed. The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with the different guest that visit.
Great Place to work
Gift Shop Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 7, 2013
A typical day at work is being able to help customers find whatever thry might be looking for. I've learned ultimate customer service and that the customer is always right. The management could be better. My co-workers value team work. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help the customer but the most enjoyable is helping customers save with the discounts we offer. The opportunities are great, the work flow is positive,and it's full of energy.

Want to know more about Audubon Nature Institute?

Ask a question
Human Resource
Intern (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 8, 2013
A typical day at Audubon was working with employees and shadowing the HR Specialist. It was a very eventful and fun job. I learned a lot about Human Resources, constructed a Workers Compensation Analysis. My coworkers were wonderful very cheerful and full of spirit all the time. The hardest part of my job was sometimes running out of work to do. The most enjoyable part was learning something new about benefits, payroll, etc.
Underpayed and overworked is definitely essential for working at this place...
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 2, 2012
Compensation is definitely a deciding factor when you work for this particular "non-profit organization" even though ANI is a public entity that works for the City of New Orleans, we still don't get the same benefits or opportunities like city employees.

ANI is consider a non-priority at the most when dealing for grants and other monies.

Morale is scattered among who you talk to and interact with. Some stay in the long haul because they're content or like it, some stay because they can't find anything else to do or afraid to look. I'm looking for better opportunities.

With today's economy and job market does not help the fact that ANI has not given some form off raises to employees since Hurricane Katrina is a devastating blow and shows how much the institute as a whole values their employees.

From what I observed is that several people quit/resign at least every month. Hate to say it but ANI is like the Walmart of employee turnovers when it comes to Zoos & Aquarium.

I **used** to work for the maintenance department within the Aquarium that only has a staff of 3 including me. It's very frustrating that they expect us to be miracle workers while trying to tend to everything in the building, in addition to the Insectarium and off site facilities. My pretentious "manager" was not prone to new ideas from myself of anyone around him, which is hard to believe since he's been working there for 20 years. Thus, laid me off on some poor excuse.

Trust me, avoid the Zoo, Aquarium, and the Insectarium. It's just money wasted on something that won't give back to the employees.
Pros
they don't care about the employee.
Cons
see review.
I was an intern
Children's zoo intern (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 9, 2012
I was an intern, and therefore there to learn. I had very little say and very little asked of me. I found the people I worked with hard to deal with. They did not teach, and they did not explain. I was there to learn and work as an intern. I had a very hard time writing my papers on my experience. I think the most enjoyable part of my job ( though I was not being payed ) was the animals I worked with. I enjoyed watching and learning what I could about what I was given to do. I feel if more open direction was given I could have excelled. The hardest part was everything, I was brand new : a northerner in New Orleans all alone at the age of 20. I was living alone, eating alone and I had no car. All of this was new and I was nervous. I am sure if I was more comfortable my over all experience would have been better. This zoo from what I could tell was wonderful! Most of the workers were great. It was just bad chemistry between my department and I .
Pros
great place to take photos on down time, pretty location ( new orleans)
Cons
poor teaching on their part. hard learning on mine
Audubon
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 12, 2013
Audubon Zoo was a great job while i was in High School only worked weekends and was off in a reasonable time to still have a social life.Great pay for a teenager, benefits only available if your hired on
as full time.
great experience
Early Childhood Education Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 20, 2013
great experience, learned about animals, fun job.
management was not great but satisfactory
Boring work place with extremely rude customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 2, 2013
I ony enjoyed the pay. The employees was sort of treated poorly.
Pros
the benifits
Cons
hours
fun work place, great managers, fun work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Orleans LAFebruary 21, 2012
I worked in the Gift Shops. There were four shops with multiple cashiers. This was indeed my favorite job by far. It's fast paste and very festive. There was always an event, either a festival or a field trip. I had awesome managers and co-workers. I truly miss this place.
Pros
great pay, lunch paid, festivals, located in downtown new orleans
Cons
short hours during winter
Productive and fun place to work
Marketing Coordinator & Ops. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 30, 2013
I worked on special events like the Aquarium's Birthday celebration, Go 4th on the River, Mardi Gras celebrations on the River, etc. It was a lot of fun and rewarding because it was fast pace and it made me feel like I was productive everyday.
Pros
i met a lot of people everyday
Customer Service at its best
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2014
Sales and Customer Service.
A typical day depends upon the amount of customer relation there is. Like any business a typical day is selling the product and interacting with the customer in a polite and friendly manner.
Great Education Program
Zoo Intern (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 1, 2014
Through my work, I was challenged every day to learn more about the world around us and how to share that with the many visitors who enter our gates.

2.6