Augustana Care Employee Reviews

great family friendly place to work for
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 15, 2016
When staffing is great the work day is a breeze. staff is like one big family. I've learned that they really care for there customers and staff. hardest part of working is working short sometimes, but you find that everywhere. good kind friendly people
not a fun place to work at all!
resident coordinator CNA (Current Employee) –  Victoria, MNSeptember 15, 2016
Applied wanting to work as a CNA, hired and got paid to do activities for 8 hours a day as that's what Emerald Crest does the entire work day. Only CNA type work I did was pass meds and give showers. Co-workers are very cliquey and love to talk about each other behind one another backs. Management doesn't care about staff at all. Had staff members leave residents who fell not checked upon and bleeding for 8 hours and no punishments were inflicted. Staff would disappear on others, be on their phones all shift, and sleep during work shifts and no punishments were inflicted. Management said we were too short staffed to be able to inflict punishment. Was working minimum of 100 hours a pay period due to short staff and barely made enough money to get by. Work day went by extremely slow as resident census was so low and there was nothing to do ever.
Pros
wonderful residents
Cons
co workers, staff, management, low census, under staffed

Comment – September 20, 2016

Thank you for writing and for helping our residents. Please bring your concerns directly to management of which there are many at that Victoria location. We are committed to providing a healthy experience to both our residents and employees alike. Thank you. --Michael, VP of Human Resources

Wonderful place to work!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  TCUAugust 4, 2016
As a new employee at Augustana Health and Rehabilitation Apple Valley the Healthcare team has been welcoming and friendly. The care, dedication, and commitment that the staff have for their team members and those they serve is outstanding!

Comment – August 11, 2016

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased to learn that you find the team welcoming and friendly and that you find the staff’s dedication and commitment to teammates and those we serve is outstanding. Thank you for all you do as part of the Augustana Care team! -- Michael, VP of Human Resources

I have loved it for 11 years
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MN and Apple Valley, MNAugust 4, 2016
I have worked for Augustana for 11 years and have been very happy. I find that they are very supportive and have helped me grow into my career. The mission is carried out to help those we serve live out the fullness of their lives. The staff is loving and grateful and work hard to be the best. My own father was a patient. I would suggest it as a place to work or stay every day!!!!!

Comment – September 2, 2016

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. We feel truly honored that you trusted us with your father's care and want you to know how much we appreciate all you do. --Michael, VP of Human Resources

Grace Hospice is an amazing company to work for.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 16, 2016
I just started here one month ago as an RN Case Manager. Management has been very supportive, allowing ample time and opportunities to shadow other clinicians, even going out on co-visits with me one-on-one to walk me through the steps. My co-workers are the best of the best in their fields. This company is small enough that everyone talks to each other as equals and as part of a team, and everyone is willing to help each other out. This really is my dream job and I feel so lucky to be here.
Pros
Caring and supportive co-workers and management.

Comment – August 2, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Augustana Care and Grace Hospice. We strive to make all employees feel like equals and we are truly happy to learn that this is your dream job and you feel lucky to be here! We feel lucky to know that you have chosen Augustana Care. -- Michael, VP of Human Resources

Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 15, 2016
Grace Hospice provides excellent care to patients. Employees are encouraged to do their work in a way that puts patients first and not money driven. Coworkers are fun kind hearted.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
24/7 work and can be hard to shut work off

Comment – August 2, 2016

Thank you so much for your review! We are thrilled that you find Grace Hospice a great place to work and truly appreciate all you are doing for the people we serve. --Michael, VP of Human Resources

Some good people, but horrible housekeeping/laundry department.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNJuly 1, 2016
My experience with Augustana was okay at first and then turned horrible and unprofessional. Things were discussed about my hiring that I could do to help the facility, but my supervisors ignored my every word. I would go days where my supervisor failed to connect with me or talk with me, despite me attempting to communicate issues or suggestions. My supervisor had been there for decades and change seemed out of the question. I did have to miss one month of work due to surgery from medical complications, it was serious and I had no choice. Anytime I would communicate with my boss, I was talked down to and was told how much I was making problems for them, like I had a choice. 5 hours after I woke up from surgery, I called to update my boss and was flipped out on, yelled at, and talked down to. The whole time that I worked there I experienced a lot of mouthy comments from my boss that would be negative about me or other people there.

The assistant to the Director of Housekeeping and Laundry had 0 people skills and constantly complained about everyone and everything. I would constantly see the assistant snapping at people or talking down to them. The assistant also constantly tried to get others written up. I have a picture of a bottle of cleaner that had a line drawn on it to see if I was using it... Constant, petty, shallow things were said and done to attempt to get others in trouble.

The people outside of the housekeeping/laundry department seemed nice and the residents were great to help care for. However, because of the things going on in my department,
  more... I put in my two weeks with no where to go, because I would of rather struggled in finding a new job then continue with that mess. After I decided to put in my two weeks, my boss again made smart mouth remarks at me and flipped out yelling again, ended by slamming a door and storming off. Worst job I ever had!  less
Pros
Low cost meals, some friendly people, residents.
Cons
No room for advancement, mouthy boss, shallow assistant, your voice falls on deaf ears.

Comment – August 2, 2016

We are so sorry you had this experience, though it was good to learn that you found at least some employees to be friendly and kind. Staff members are the lifeblood of Augustana Care and we strive to make every employee’s experience a good one. We would like to investigate your concerns and would greatly appreciate it if you reached out to us directly so we could learn more. Can you please contact us at info@augustanacare.org to set up a time to talk? -- Michael, VP of Human Resources

Terrible place unless you enjoy the clicky atmosphere
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MNApril 29, 2016
The hastings location is TERRIBLE! It's very clicky, almost like high school! You can be working at the same speed as people who have worked there for years but if you show any sign of wanting to advance, turning down extra hours because you're a single parent with nobody to care for your child, or they just plane don't accept you, they come up with whatever excuse they can find to terminate you. Or, they just won't give you a reason except "you just aren't meeting our expectations". You miss your 15 minute breaks because you're so busy with the 9 residents you're taking care of and lunch breaks have to be done by a certain time. Don't think about making suggestions, or asking questions. If you don't become buddy buddy with the people that work there you can kiss your job good bye. You get in trouble for helping other co-workers and get in trouble if you don't help them.
Pros
Funny residents
Cons
Clicky co-workers

Comment – May 10, 2016

We are sorry to learn that you had this experience. Employees are highly valued at Augustana Care, and many tell us they feel encouraged and supported here. We hope that, should you want to discuss this situation further, you will contact either HR Director Heidi Flaten or Administrator Kay Schumacher by writing to info@augustanacare.org. --Michael, VP of Human Resources

Productive and fun place to be apart of.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 4, 2015
A great place to work for anyone interested in a fun , joy , loving filled job. the employees are great. The residents are great to work with . They also provide training classes for you to continue moving forward in the medical field .
Pros
The Senior Carnival
Cons
huge building easy to get lost

Comment – March 29, 2016

We appreciate your response! Augustana Care strives to help those we serve to live the lives that most inspire them! Thanks for being a part of that inspiration.

Good place to work with a few drawbacks
RN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 17, 2015
This would be a great place to work except for some staff's lack of caring attitudes. The work is tough, but it could be a lot worse. The residents are fantastic. The benefits are good, and pay is supposed to be improving thanks partly to the government. I even believe the management is very good and genuinely concerned about their employees for the most part.
There's just a few staff who just don't want to help, don't want to change, don't want to improve things,and complain a lot. They ruin it for everybody.You have to have a thick skin to stay there.

Comment – March 29, 2016

Thanks for your response! We appreciate employees who take the time to give us this much-needed feedback. Augustana Care recognizes the kindness, dedication, and commitment of employees who work with us, and we take your feedback very seriously. We are investigating your complaint, but in addition, would like to reach out to you directly to discuss this. Can you please contact us at info@augustanacare.org

Warning
LPN (Former Employee) –  BurnsvilleAugust 9, 2015
This place is the worst place I have ever worked and Ive been in this field since 1996. First, the Director of Nursing does not take any suggestions to improve the facility. I pointed out that identifying residents was difficult because the residents pictures were not in point click care, some were but most were not. The residents did not have any ID bands and most were confused and could not state their name, this is dangerous, especially passing meds after only being trained for 2 shifts, on multiple different halls. The DON will not listen to any suggestions and instead takes it as a personal insult, and gets very defensive. One time my kid was very sick, and I was at the hospital with him. I had to call in for the next day..training only may I add, and I got written up, even with a doctors note, and was lectured for about an hour in the DON office. Other nurses are not welcoming, instead they are mean, and try to get you in trouble. For example when I made a suggestion about if we could call the pharmacy and get the medication envelopes from Merwin labeled for the correct times, one nurse sent an email to the DON saying that I was complain about the Merwin, and being negative. Now I understand why when the person training me said they had been through 4 nurses before me. I now work at a great company, where they have their stuff together, and the ppl are friendly, and DON wants to hear from employees to make a safer environment for our residents.

Comment – March 29, 2016

We are truly sorry that there was such conflict between you and your director. It is our hope and intention that Augustana Care is a comfortable and supportive place to work. Not only do we aspire to help residents live the lives that most inspire them, we also aspire to help employees live the lives that most inspire them. We apologize that that wasn’t your experience. We take your feedback very seriously and wish to connect with you in order to find out more about what you encountered. Please contact us at info@augustanacare.org

I enjoyed working at a Senior Citizen apartment complex to meet the Residents
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis MNMay 4, 2015
*Daily welcomed over 200 guest in a friendly and professional manor.
*Cashed checks daily for Residents.
*Accurately coded invoices and sent to Accounts Payable for payment.
*Resolved Residents concerns such as billings, rent statements, and used the internet to resolve personal issues.
Pros
Free lunch, close to home, getting to know the Residents.
Cons
When the Residents would pass.

Comment – March 29, 2016

Thank you for playing an important part in the lives of our residents! They truly appreciate it and so do we.

Awesome
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 3, 2015
Its a nice company to work for very nice people. Smaller company. Worked in accounting not much room for advancement. Good experiance

Comment – March 29, 2016

Nice people, nice company. We agree! We’re glad you had such a good experience. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Nice place to work. Collaboration among coworkers. Opportunity to grow in Nursing
RN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 23, 2014
Nice place to work. Get a great experience. Fun. Collaboration among coworkers. Great place for opportunity to grow in Nursing.

Comment – March 29, 2016

We are inspired when we hear that there was positive collaboration among you and your coworkers. Augustana Care strives to foster an environment where that kind of collaboration and cohesion can exist. Thanks for your review.

Residents and most co-workers are great
Therapy (Former Employee) –  Apple ValleyJune 19, 2014
This applies to Apple Valley Augustana.

This facility is understaffed and the workers have inordinate expectations to meet due to low occupancy and corporate losses.

Full time hourly workers for most departments is 35. Benefits have been cut too. Morale is low.

Administration has poor communication with staff - two or three all staff meetings per year, no newsletter. The rare time met between staff and supervisor is for disciplinary reasons.

The residents are wonderful, they are the best part of the job. They do not receive the attention due them. They complain about not knowing which CNA will be taking care of them because the group assignments change daily.
Pros
Residents are wonderful
Cons
Hours are dependent upon the daily census, expectations upon staff are to the point of being counterproductive.

Comment – March 29, 2016

We are very sorry that you had this experience. Please contact us at info@augustanacare.org so that we can talk more about what you went through, and how we can help. It is our desire to uplift employee morale and promote communication within the work environment at Augustana Care. Your review is appreciated.

Great company with great values
Accounts Payable Clerk Augustana Care Services (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at my job involved data entry of payment information for our vendors. I learned to use accounting software and lost of numerical skills. Management was always supportive. My co-workers were some of the best, because we all believed in the culture of the organization. The hardest part of my job was to learn to time manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that my work benefited many clients.
Pros
Great values, culture, etc.
Cons
No cons

Comment – March 29, 2016

Hey, thank you! We are glad that you had such a wonderful experience. We appreciate an employee who helps residents live the life that most inspires them!

Registered Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2013
Augustana is a great place to work, a typical Day is full of challenges but; the rewards at the end of the Day make it all worth it. I had a good experience with management, they worked with my changing schedule and made my busy life fit into work. The people at work where wonderful to work with and the most enjoyable part are the residents and their families.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
leaving the wonderful residents

Comment – March 29, 2016

The residents and their families are very sweet, yes. Thanks for your review!

Productive and fun place to work
Registered Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 7, 2013
At Augustana you really feel like you are part of a team, I have learned leadership skills through Augustana and Team work building skills as well. The most enjoyable part of the job, is getting to know the residents on a personal level and having them looking forward to seeing you everyday.
Pros
team work
Cons
overtime

Comment – March 29, 2016

We endeavor to create this kind of experience for our employees. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Augustana Care. Our community is ready to answer.