Aurora Flight Sciences Employee Reviews

Goal-oriented and lunch for a flat $5.00
A/P Accountant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at work is not too busy. It was interesting to learn about their projects on building new surveillance aircrafts and their dealings with government sectors especially NASA. Management was very reasonable and workplace was professional, pleasant, very goal oriented. The hardest part of the job was not getting the information I needed to accomplish my credit card reconciliation on time. Most enjoyable is the friendly environment
Inovative aerospace company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJanuary 12, 2017
Aurora is an aggressive leader in the aerospace industry. Work life is fast very fast paced. The overall benefits are good.
Great atmosphere, relaxed enviroment
Night shift Body man (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVFebruary 23, 2017
Short as possible night shift hours, learned lots of tricks, never dealt with management, just a supervisor and another highly skilled co-worker. The hardest part was working while tired from working eight hours at County Club Chrysler during the day but the supervisor got us out of there in six hours whenever possible. I enjoyed the laid-back attitude and atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay!
Cons
Night shift.
Productive Team Environment but Senior Management is Fickle
Site Controller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team of very talented engineers. Senior management, however, foster an environment of military style management, relying heavily on intimidation tactics to get the job done
different
Lead Designer Checker (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 13, 2017
progressive and small. had some big clients - major defense contractors. lots of travel and many challenges to deal with. enjoyed working for Aurora.
A great place to start
Production Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 19, 2017
IF you are a young Aerospace, Mechanical, Industrial Engineer this is a great place to learn the very basics of Aviation production.
Pros
Lead Engineers have a lot of knowledge and experience.
Cons
Some boring moments.
Middle of the road
Tech (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVDecember 31, 2015
Fairly relaxed work environment if everything is on time, otherwise its a constant fire fight. Upper management claims to be approachable, but isn't really. They don't listen to/understand problems from a technician point of view. If you aren't an engineer, you have limited opportunity to move up.
Pros
Fairly relaxed, Benefits were decent
Cons
If you aren't an engineer, you won't get far. Pay is below average
Aurora sells pipe dreams and delivers disappointment
Configuration (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 17, 2015
I was interviewed and was hired for a position that I was completely capable of handling. However, HR and management was only interested in filling the position to take it off the board more than they were interested in hearing that most of the employees were not willing to accept the help that was provided ultimately making it extremely difficult to do the job. Without the support of key management, several of the newly hired team members, like myself, packed up and moved on to other opportunities...if they were fortunate enough.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor leadership, high turn over, pipe dreams
An R&D company that wishes to become a producer of aircraft parts.
Composite Technician III (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 24, 2015
A typical day would be: Reworking completed composite panels that failed NDI or Conformity inspection, but could be accepted if I am able to repair the discrepancy.

I have learned to read and accomplish conformity requirements submitted by the engineering department.

Since the management team consist of engineers we are in need of authority with "people skills".

I like my fellow workers and would miss them as they were kind and very helpful.

The hardest part of my job is accomplishing a task without the necessary tools, as I stated earlier the company is R&D oriented they have minimal repair material/equipment and I have to "improvise" in order to complete the task.

I really like to restore a composite part to "perfect" condition.
Interesting Place but It's more like Kris Kringle's Toy shop w/unltd budget
Minion (Current Employee) –  BridgeportMarch 26, 2014
This could be a really great company if management would just get it's act together. I love the people that work there--the job is satisfying but some management dog their employees.
Pros
Pretty relaxed environment physically
Cons
Management culture
Very poor leadership and muddled procedures
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 14, 2013
Very poor management. Unavailable for up to weeks at a time to sign purchasing requisitions that were required on ALL purchases; This of course caused missed deadlines which were then blamed on purchasing. Always seemed to be a sense of cash-flow problems. Outright hostility between the various locations instead of an atmosphere of teamwork. I received a consistantly positive performance appraisal, but while working out my two week notice, I suddenly became the worst employee they ever had, according to management.
Pros
interesting product, although never got past prototype stage
Cons
poor leadership, long, rambling management meetings
Great Experience
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJanuary 27, 2014
Too much "fire fighting" on a dialy basis. Need to implement changes to reduce these occurances. Good management team but lead by a dictator.
Pros
Great benefits, good salary
Cons
General Manager needs replaced
Interesting workplace with a lot of opportunity to learn.
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVMarch 23, 2014
I was given the chance to learn a lot of different stages of the manufacturing process for both composites and metals. I also was able to learn about the assembly of these details. If I was interested in a process, I could go to an area and see how it was done. However, the management decisions, especially regarding the assignment of engineers, seemed random. We went through a lot of managers, and each one wanted to do something different.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to learn.
Cons
Management, location.
Great small company with cool people and projects to work on.
Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (SUAS) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2014
I enjoyed working at Aurora. The company culture was very light and open. The smaller size of the Cambridge branch meant that everyone was mostly familiar with all the other employees and it feel like being part of a working family.
The small/early-development nature of the projects meant that you often get to work on a variety of interesting projects, and often more than one at the same time.
Pros
Very smart and talented employees.
Cons
Location of Cambridge/Boston is expensive.
great company, but still needs to grow
Level III Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 9, 2015
I knew a lot of information about this job from what I had learned at another aviation site. I enjoyed the group of people that I got a chance to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
healthcare expensive
Interesting and Productive work
Composite Technician (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVOctober 30, 2015
Good company. The production of composite aircraft parts is challenging and rewarding. Very concerned with employee welfare.
Pros
Christmas week off.
Cons
Layoffs occure.
organizied management
Supplier Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSNovember 6, 2015
Excellent training to detail team oriented to assure customer Focus All employees work as a team and utilized their talent t
Pros
Team work
Cons
Infracture
Challenging but with a bright future
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 28, 2014
Mississippi is a young site without the established processes and procedures that are established in other locations. It is still in the storming stage and needs time to fully develop. The other sites are much more mature and better about doing the right thing on time.

The up side is your get to align the business.
Pros
Free Lunches generally at least once a week
If you're looking for a career, move along. They won't be around much longer.
Mechanical Assembler & Painter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 7, 2015
Companies have personnel problems. This is part of life. But Aurora is the only company I've worked for where the personnel problems primarily resided in upper and middle management. Every project I worked on in the 3.5 years I was there missed its deadline. Most of them missed multiple deadlines, since then deadlines would change every time the previous one was missed. Most of the time it's not a matter of committing to do a project in an unreasonable amount of time, but a sever lack of planning and coordination.

Most of the people I knew who worked there got compensated pretty fairly considering the fact that they were hired to build aircraft components with absolutely no experience coming in the door. BIG PROBLEM! There were only a handful of floor workers with previous experience, and I think we've all left at this point. I was told in my interview that they give program bonuses. I only saw one of those bonuses the entire time I was there, and it was a whopping $26 after working weeks of overtime.

The company tries to cut corners every single chance they get, and it never fails to come back to bite them. As one employee used to say "They never have enough money to do it right the first time, but somehow always have the money to do it 3 times before getting it right." I can't express enough how true that statement is.

Successful businesses are run by successful businessmen. Aurora is run by engineers, and engineers just aren't typically very good businessmen. On top of that, their engineers aren't even very good engineers. I've always heard that good
  more... engineering isn't gaged by how well you can design something, but how well you can design something so that the sum of it's components remain less than the value of the product. I'm pretty sure none of the engineers working there have ever had this explained to them, because they lose money on everything.

In a nut shell, Aurora might be a good stepping stone if you're trying to work your way into the aerospace field, but don't plan on staying their too long. If they continue with the path they are on, the doors will close within a year. The best the company can hope for is to be bought out by a more competent corporation.
Pros
Nice Christmas Break
Cons
Every day you will feel like you are being managed by 5th graders
It was exciting to work for a aerospace company
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bridgport, WVSeptember 4, 2012
A typical day would start rather early at 5:00 a.m. to support staff who began the early shift. I would resolve any issues that was brought to my attention. I would check the backups from the night before. Log the backups place new tapes in the backup device for the next backup. I would check all the servers to make sure they were all operating as they should without errors. The rest of my day performing technical refresh, troubleshooting repairing issues, manage the phone sytem make all changes if needed.

I learned how to troubleshoot and repair CAD issues / Plotter issues / Setup and configure MAC Laptops and WIFI's. I learned to migrate servers from Windows NT to Windows Server 2003. I learned to manage Exchange 5.5. I learned how to configure VoIP on a Seimans phone switch and well as manage TDM Phones. I learned how to troubleshoot and repair issues with ADP Accounting software. I learned to manage the companies database. I learned to troubleshoot why vendors were not able to connect to their VPN though our network system. I learned how to troubleshoot and repair communication issues via WAN. I learned how to attend the morning management meetings and give a report on technologies that were being implemented, their status, and any new ideas to be presented for approval. I learned a lot about how products the company were making were being made from the design perspective to the finished product.

My co-workers were great to work with. There needed to be more of us. We worked very well as a team and learned from each other.

I did not get an opportunity to work very much
  more... with management other than to resolve issues with their MAC.

There wasn't a hardest part to the job. I enjoyed everything I did. I looked forward to every challenge and every task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to watch the engineers build a piece of the product on the computer and watch it become a product in the clean room.
Pros
skill building, fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aurora Flight Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7