Aurora Flight Sciences

Aurora Flight Sciences Employer Reviews

An R&D company that wishes to become a producer of aircraft parts.
Composite Technician III (Current Employee), Columbus, MSJanuary 24, 2015
A typical day would be: Reworking completed composite panels that failed NDI or Conformity inspection, but could be accepted if I am able to repair the discrepancy.

I have learned to read and accomplish conformity requirements submitted by the engineering department.

Since the management team consist of engineers we are in need of authority with "people skills".

I like my fellow workers and would miss them as they were kind and very helpful.

The hardest part of my job is accomplishing a task without the necessary tools, as I stated earlier the company is R&D oriented they have minimal repair material/equipment and I have to "improvise" in order to complete the task.

I really like to restore a composite part to "perfect" condition.
Great small company with cool people and projects to work on.
Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (SUAS) Engineer (Former Employee), Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2014
Pros: very smart and talented employees.
Cons: location of cambridge/boston is expensive.
I enjoyed working at Aurora. The company culture was very light and open. The smaller size of the Cambridge branch meant that everyone was mostly familiar with all the other employees and it feel like being part of a working family.
The small/early-development nature of the projects meant that you often get to work on a variety of interesting projects, and often more than one at the same time.
Great place if you are part of the right clique
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Manassas, VANovember 12, 2014
If you are part of the right group or skill set, you will be appreciated, but probably still treated poorly and overworked.

If you are not, you will not be appreciated and treated poorly.
Challenging but with a bright future
Program Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, MSSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches generally at least once a week
Mississippi is a young site without the established processes and procedures that are established in other locations. It is still in the storming stage and needs time to fully develop. The other sites are much more mature and better about doing the right thing on time.

The up side is your get to align the business.
Interesting workplace with a lot of opportunity to learn.
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee), Bridgeport, WVMarch 23, 2014
Pros: lots of opportunity to learn.
Cons: management, location.
I was given the chance to learn a lot of different stages of the manufacturing process for both composites and metals. I also was able to learn about the assembly of these details. If I was interested in a process, I could go to an area and see how it was done. However, the management decisions, especially regarding the assignment of engineers, seemed random. We went through a lot of managers, and each one wanted to do something different.
Great Experience
Materials Manager (Former Employee), Bridgeport, WVJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good salary
Cons: general manager needs replaced
Too much "fire fighting" on a dialy basis. Need to implement changes to reduce these occurances. Good management team but lead by a dictator.
Stress engineer (Former Employee), Columbus, MSJanuary 14, 2014
I liked working there
New technolgy
friendly
friendly
Keep busy
Specializes in precision aerospace component production for tactical systems
COMPOSITE TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee), Columbus, MSApril 4, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, people were great to work with, and cutting edge technology!
Cons: frequent leadership changes and license sharing
Company provides equal professional work and personal home stability. Flexible management team. Slim room for professional development and advancement.
Very poor leadership and muddled procedures
Purchasing (Former Employee), Columbus, MSFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: interesting product, although never got past prototype stage
Cons: poor leadership, long, rambling management meetings
Very poor management. Unavailable for up to weeks at a time to sign purchasing requisitions that were required on ALL purchases; This of course caused missed deadlines which were then blamed on purchasing. Always seemed to be a sense of cash-flow problems. Outright hostility between the various locations instead of an atmosphere of teamwork. I received a consistantly positive performance appraisal, but while working out my two week notice, I suddenly became the worst employee they ever had, according to management.
Interesting work, but fundamentally a contractor, not a robot builder
Avionics and Control Intern (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJanuary 23, 2013
If you want to be building robots, it's probably not the place for you. Aurora is a contractor through and through.
It was exciting to work for a aerospace company
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Bridgport, WVSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: skill building, fun
A typical day would start rather early at 5:00 a.m. to support staff who began the early shift. I would resolve any issues that was brought to my attention. I would check the backups from the night before. Log the backups place new tapes in the backup device for the next backup. I would check all the servers to make sure they were all operating as they should without errors. The rest of my day performing technical refresh, troubleshooting repairing issues, manage the phone sytem make all changes if needed.

I learned how to troubleshoot and repair CAD issues / Plotter issues / Setup and configure MAC Laptops and WIFI's. I learned to migrate servers from Windows NT to Windows Server 2003. I learned to manage Exchange 5.5. I learned how to configure VoIP on a Seimans phone switch and well as manage TDM Phones. I learned how to troubleshoot and repair issues with ADP Accounting software. I learned to manage the companies database. I learned to troubleshoot why vendors were not able to connect to their VPN though our network system. I learned how to troubleshoot and repair communication issues via WAN. I learned how to attend the morning management meetings and give a report on technologies that were being implemented, their status, and any new ideas to be presented for approval. I learned a lot about how products the company were making were being made from the design perspective to the finished product.

My co-workers were great to work with. There needed to be more of us. We worked very well as a team and learned from each other.

I did not get an opportunity to work very much with management other than to resolve issues with their MAC.

There wasn't a hardest part to the job. I enjoyed everything I did. I looked forward to every challenge and every task.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to watch the engineers build a piece of the product on the computer and watch it become a product in the clean room.