Aurora Flight Sciences Employee Reviews

Inovative aerospace company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJanuary 12, 2017
Aurora is an aggressive leader in the aerospace industry. Work life is fast very fast paced. The overall benefits are good.
Goal-oriented and lunch for a flat $5.00
A/P Accountant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at work is not too busy. It was interesting to learn about their projects on building new surveillance aircrafts and their dealings with government sectors especially NASA. Management was very reasonable and workplace was professional, pleasant, very goal oriented. The hardest part of the job was not getting the information I needed to accomplish my credit card reconciliation on time. Most enjoyable is the friendly environment
Great atmosphere, relaxed enviroment
Night shift Body man (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVFebruary 23, 2017
Short as possible night shift hours, learned lots of tricks, never dealt with management, just a supervisor and another highly skilled co-worker. The hardest part was working while tired from working eight hours at County Club Chrysler during the day but the supervisor got us out of there in six hours whenever possible. I enjoyed the laid-back attitude and atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay!
Cons
Night shift.
Productive Team Environment but Senior Management is Fickle
Site Controller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team of very talented engineers. Senior management, however, foster an environment of military style management, relying heavily on intimidation tactics to get the job done
Middle of the road
Tech (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVDecember 31, 2015
Fairly relaxed work environment if everything is on time, otherwise its a constant fire fight. Upper management claims to be approachable, but isn't really. They don't listen to/understand problems from a technician point of view. If you aren't an engineer, you have limited opportunity to move up.
Pros
Fairly relaxed, Benefits were decent
Cons
If you aren't an engineer, you won't get far. Pay is below average
different
Lead Designer Checker (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 13, 2017
progressive and small. had some big clients - major defense contractors. lots of travel and many challenges to deal with. enjoyed working for Aurora.
A great place to start
Production Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 19, 2017
IF you are a young Aerospace, Mechanical, Industrial Engineer this is a great place to learn the very basics of Aviation production.
Pros
Lead Engineers have a lot of knowledge and experience.
Cons
Some boring moments.
great company, but still needs to grow
Level III Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 9, 2015
I knew a lot of information about this job from what I had learned at another aviation site. I enjoyed the group of people that I got a chance to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
healthcare expensive
Aurora sells pipe dreams and delivers disappointment
Configuration (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 17, 2015
I was interviewed and was hired for a position that I was completely capable of handling. However, HR and management was only interested in filling the position to take it off the board more than they were interested in hearing that most of the employees were not willing to accept the help that was provided ultimately making it extremely difficult to do the job. Without the support of key management, several of the newly hired team members, like myself, packed up and moved on to other opportunities...if they were fortunate enough.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor leadership, high turn over, pipe dreams
Specializes in precision aerospace component production for tactical systems
COMPOSITE TECHNICIAN II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 4, 2013
Company provides equal professional work and personal home stability. Flexible management team. Slim room for professional development and advancement.
Pros
flexible schedule, people were great to work with, and cutting edge technology!
Cons
frequent leadership changes and license sharing
An R&D company that wishes to become a producer of aircraft parts.
Composite Technician III (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 24, 2015
A typical day would be: Reworking completed composite panels that failed NDI or Conformity inspection, but could be accepted if I am able to repair the discrepancy.

I have learned to read and accomplish conformity requirements submitted by the engineering department.

Since the management team consist of engineers we are in need of authority with "people skills".

I like my fellow workers and would miss them as they were kind and very helpful.

The hardest part of my job is accomplishing a task without the necessary tools, as I stated earlier the company is R&D oriented they have minimal repair material/equipment and I have to "improvise" in order to complete the task.

I really like to restore a composite part to "perfect" condition.
Very poor leadership and muddled procedures
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSFebruary 14, 2013
Very poor management. Unavailable for up to weeks at a time to sign purchasing requisitions that were required on ALL purchases; This of course caused missed deadlines which were then blamed on purchasing. Always seemed to be a sense of cash-flow problems. Outright hostility between the various locations instead of an atmosphere of teamwork. I received a consistantly positive performance appraisal, but while working out my two week notice, I suddenly became the worst employee they ever had, according to management.
Pros
interesting product, although never got past prototype stage
Cons
poor leadership, long, rambling management meetings
Interesting workplace with a lot of opportunity to learn.
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVMarch 23, 2014
I was given the chance to learn a lot of different stages of the manufacturing process for both composites and metals. I also was able to learn about the assembly of these details. If I was interested in a process, I could go to an area and see how it was done. However, the management decisions, especially regarding the assignment of engineers, seemed random. We went through a lot of managers, and each one wanted to do something different.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to learn.
Cons
Management, location.
Great small company with cool people and projects to work on.
Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (SUAS) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2014
I enjoyed working at Aurora. The company culture was very light and open. The smaller size of the Cambridge branch meant that everyone was mostly familiar with all the other employees and it feel like being part of a working family.
The small/early-development nature of the projects meant that you often get to work on a variety of interesting projects, and often more than one at the same time.
Pros
Very smart and talented employees.
Cons
Location of Cambridge/Boston is expensive.
Interesting Place but It's more like Kris Kringle's Toy shop w/unltd budget
Minion (Current Employee) –  BridgeportMarch 26, 2014
This could be a really great company if management would just get it's act together. I love the people that work there--the job is satisfying but some management dog their employees.
Pros
Pretty relaxed environment physically
Cons
Management culture
Interesting and Productive work
Composite Technician (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVOctober 30, 2015
Good company. The production of composite aircraft parts is challenging and rewarding. Very concerned with employee welfare.
Pros
Christmas week off.
Cons
Layoffs occure.
organizied management
Supplier Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSNovember 6, 2015
Excellent training to detail team oriented to assure customer Focus All employees work as a team and utilized their talent t
Pros
Team work
Cons
Infracture
Challenging but with a bright future
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 28, 2014
Mississippi is a young site without the established processes and procedures that are established in other locations. It is still in the storming stage and needs time to fully develop. The other sites are much more mature and better about doing the right thing on time.

The up side is your get to align the business.
Pros
Free Lunches generally at least once a week
Great place if you are part of the right clique
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 12, 2014
If you are part of the right group or skill set, you will be appreciated, but probably still treated poorly and overworked.

If you are not, you will not be appreciated and treated poorly.
Interesting work, but fundamentally a contractor, not a robot builder
Avionics and Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 23, 2013
If you want to be building robots, it's probably not the place for you. Aurora is a contractor through and through.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aurora Flight Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7