Aurora Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

A school district that is very diversified and offers opportunities for growth and challenges in the nursing and educational fields
Itinerant RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Health ServicesJuly 15, 2016
As an itinerant school nurse going on 3 years now the position has utilized all my nursing skills acquired over a 30 year career and has provided opportunity to learn more. Much less stressful than hospital nursing but the position has its share of paperwork and deadlines. Working with the children and teenagers and their families is challenging and gratifying. There is excellent support from supervisors and coworkers and opportunity to use critical thinking skills. You have autonomy but are not alone. Itinerant school nurses in APS provide an important role as support to the site based nurses, teaching staff, ancillary staff and each other. Best nursing position I have had in a very long time, working in a school district where I feel valued.
Pros
Work hours match school hours and days, summers off, a lot of support and opportunity for personal growth, opportunities to make a differance in children and their families lives, alot of diversity
Cons
Good pay scale but does not compete with hospital pay rates
It is excellent to work with children.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CO 80018July 12, 2016
I loved being a nanny for this family. I got to learn a lot and care for two children whom I truly grew an attachment and love for.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
No outside support
Productive fun environment
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 9, 2016
Aurora Public Schools is a great entity to work. The challenge is that each school is ran based on Principal discretion and therefore, there is much discontinuity as you transfer from one school to another.
Pros
The week breaks throughout the year.
Cons
Not as much variety in job movement.
Enjoyed Driving a Bus and the children the most.
Bus Driver-CDL certified (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 27, 2016
Be at work 5:30am pre trip bus, pick up all over Aurora special needs students, work lift for wheel chairs. Come in at 9:30am break go home and return 1:30pm pick students up from school. At end of day post trip bus. I really enjoy driving, but split shifts are tough and we get paid 9 months a year. I would like working 12 months a year.
Pros
You are in charge of yourself, working with the children.
Cons
getting up at 4:30am, pre trip in the snow hoping your bus starts, and the hours split.
the co-workers are great
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 29, 2016
APST has change considerably, management is going thru a lot of changes and it effects the working staff, which effects the students.
Employment witj Aurora Public Schools
Nutritional Services (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 22, 2016
I have had a wonderful time working for APS School District. The management is helpful and very approachable. There are no words to describe the rewards of working with our future.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Cons
Rewarding job working with kids
Affective Needs Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 9, 2016
As a para-educator no day is ever the same. You may encounter unruly students trying to tell you off or kind gestures from students that make your day. My co-workers are mostly helpful and supportive. Even though students can be difficult at times knowing that you make a difference in their lives is the most enjoyable part of the job. The only disadvantages are that there is not a lot of room for advancement and compensation is not great (although benefits are good).
Pros
good benefits, rewarding job
Cons
low pay, no way to advance
Military-like, unprofessional and dysfunctional system
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 14, 2015
Poor management
No consistency what-so-ever
Given the run around
Forced to comply or be ousted
Bullying by superiors and excluded
No team, just do as I say top down
Not creative environment
Dump more on you daily
Many last minute expectations
Ridiculously heavy work load
Distant and uncompromising so-called"leadership"
Impersonal and just a number treatment
No work/life balance
Weak and lacking curriculum
Few supplies for students
Little, if any, support for teachers
Most schools close to Colfax are awful
South and East especially
Pros
Kids are always the best part
Cons
Bad Principals, poor leadership, just a number
Aurora Public Schools - An Amazing Community
District Lead Interpreter - Sign Language (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ColoradoNovember 30, 2015
I have worked for Aurora Public Schools for more than 12 years now. I love our community and both the teachers and students with which I have worked. I have worked as a Sign Language Interpreter in the elementary through the high school and Vocational/Technical College. In every setting I have worked with fantastic students and the teachers that are committed to serving them. Our district serves a richly diverse community with students from over 130 different countries. That in and of itself provides my much joy in the myriad opportunities for differentiated learning and the challenge of meeting the needs of our students.
Pros
Rich Cultural Diversity
Tough Job
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 21, 2015
Much violence and lack of true educational cares by students.
There were 13 gangs that we knew about and just a tough environment.
Pros
Many good students!
Cons
Detractions from gangs hurt the learning environment.
Middle School Environment
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 7, 2015
Woking with kids is rough, but administration at Columbia middle school helped. Teachers are excellent to work with. Staff sticks together and helps one another out. I enjoyed teaching technology and programming.
Pros
Vacations with the kids, working with kids from all backgrounds
Cons
Pay can be low but it is a school district
Dean Position
Teacher on Special Assignment - Dean (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 22, 2015
A part of the administration team, supervising security on campus and assistant. Working closely with team members to create a positive and safe environment for the students.
Pros
flexibility
Fun and educational opportunity
Communication Intern (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 28, 2015
A typical day consists of taking on any project assigned to me by managers or departments. I have been exposed to a highly political environment where all decisions are scrutinized by the public. Learning to navigate through this critical atmosphere is imperative to the success of this establishment, not only on a public but political level. This was where I strengthened and honed my negotiation and interpersonal skills, and gained experience in marketing and communication. I enjoy establishing and maintaining relationships with people and businesses. It’s rewarding to be that liaison between people and get the achieved results.
Accounting
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 13, 2015
First step into Treasury management. Treasury management is an interesting addition to the accounting and finance world, aspects that I can't wait to develop.
Too much competition, too many interpreters.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 8, 2015
Each individual is responsible for obtaining translating meet ups.They would require you to call daily sometimes more than once to get even 1 meeting per day. However I would average 2 meetings on a good week.
Pros
It pays well per hour.
Cons
Only averaged 4 hours per week.
Our building is a great place to work.
First Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 10, 2015
The administration is encouraging and very supportive of teachers and their roles within the school. My co workers all work well to plan vertically and help others provide the best possible education for each student.
Pros
benefits, relationships
Fun, Great place to learn, work and have fun
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 10, 2015
Assisted teacher with any lessons plans for the day.
Get the classroom ready for the students.
Hardest Part would be having opportunities to grow.
the most enjoyable part of the job is that you work with kids!
It was O.K.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 9, 2014
Easy going...Allowed to get work done...Depending on the building...
No management for half my time...Automated call for positions in substitute...After that The management was effective and fair...
Lazy across the board when it comes to custodial...The easiest job and people wanna make it a chore...Ridiculous...There is nothing difficult about this job WHATSOEVER...I like the night time hours of nobody bothering me in the building...I am there to work ...Not mess around or play with cell phone...
Pros
good pay easy work...
Cons
a job is a job...who likes working???..got to pay bills...
I would not recommend working for this district.
Educational Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 6, 2014
I learned that not everyone in education is professional or there for the children!
A title and/or a degree does not guarantee competency.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
unprofessional supervisory and management practices. inertia on the front lines.
Public sector school system
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CoNovember 4, 2014
I worked in the APS system for almost four years exactly, all of it spent in the I.T. department. It was a good place to learn new skills, since there were a lot of new technologies coming into the datacenter at that time. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a moderate pace of work and a sense of community. One caveat is that you end up having to wear a lot of hats - but that is the story of most I.T. professionals.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
some interference from upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aurora Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Aurora Public Schools Reviews by Location