AURORA PUBLIC SCHOOLS

AURORA PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employer Reviews

It was O.K.
Custodian (Former Employee), Aurora, CODecember 9, 2014
Pros: good pay easy work...
Cons: a job is a job...who likes working???..got to pay bills...
Easy going...Allowed to get work done...Depending on the building...
No management for half my time...Automated call for positions in substitute...After that The management was effective and fair...
Lazy across the board when it comes to custodial...The easiest job and people wanna make it a chore...Ridiculous...There is nothing difficult about this job WHATSOEVER...I like the night time hours of nobody bothering me in the building...I am there to work ...Not mess around or play with cell phone...
I would not recommend working for this district.
Educational Interpreter (Former Employee), Aurora, CONovember 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: unprofessional supervisory and management practices. inertia on the front lines.
I learned that not everyone in education is professional or there for the children!
A title and/or a degree does not guarantee competency.
Public sector school system
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Aurora, CoNovember 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: some interference from upper management
I worked in the APS system for almost four years exactly, all of it spent in the I.T. department. It was a good place to learn new skills, since there were a lot of new technologies coming into the datacenter at that time. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a moderate pace of work and a sense of community. One caveat is that you end up having to wear a lot of hats - but that is the story of most I.T. professionals.
It was a job where your work was not appreciated
Transportation Director (Former Employee), Aurora, COOctober 3, 2014
Pros: the staff that worked with me we excellent and over worked and under paid.
Cons: poor leadership of the support services
I was responsible for all functions involved in school transportation. Develop and manage 6+ million-dollar budget. Supervised 150+ school transportation personnel including scheduler/dispatchers, bus drivers and bus assistants, relief bus drivers and bus assistants, mechanics, and office staff. Developed the Transportation Department budget of approximately$6.7M. Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all school buses. Responsible for the maintenance of all school district operated vehicles and small engine equipment. Provided safe and efficient transportation services to 1 P-20 campus, 6 high schools, 7 middle schools, 3 P-8 schools, 3 Early Childhood Centers and 28 elementary schools. Transported over 5500 students daily. Responsible for the recruitment, hiring, training, and evaluation of all transportation staff. Responsible for developing vehicle specifications and the purchase of all district vehicles. Provided safe and efficient transportation to special needs students by providing necessary specialized equipment and employee training. Effectively problem-solve with parents, citizens, school administrators, and others. Provided effective leadership and a working relationship with district customers both internal and external.
Medical Billing
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Aurora, COSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: middle of cherry creek
Cons: was laid off after 3 months right before christmas
Nice company to work for,loved when the drug reps came in with lunch and goodies.
fun place to work in.
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, COSeptember 3, 2014
i enjoyed my work at this place ,i got lots of care,lots of attention,and every body was friendly helpful,and working as team,i learned lots of new things like new recipes ,new equipments,new skills for cooking.
Have pot lucks
Bus Driver/Parts Room (Current Employee), Aurora, COJuly 14, 2014
Pros: you get the summers off
Cons: pay is pro rated
A typical day at work is driving buses to and from stops and keeping all of the students safe. I've learned a lot about per triping the buses and how to manage students. Managements good they have their ups and downs.The people there are awesome great group of people. The hardest part of the job is managing the students to keep them all safe and in their seats. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and the students are very rewarding.
Fast paced, fun culture
Technology Specialist / Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Aurora, COJuly 10, 2014
Pros: i get to work with kids and other adults that also enjoy working with kids.
Cons: the public school system does not pay as well as the private sector.
I teach a technology class for 6th - 8th grade students. This along with my after school 3-D gaming club is the most enjoyable part of my day. Since I only teach one class the rest of my time is spent helping teachers and administrators with their technology needs.
I am still in the process of getting my BA in Education so I enjoy talking with the teachers to learn more about education. I learn something new everyday.
Hardest part of my day is prioritizing needs. I will be working on one issue when I get a call on the radio that someone else needs me. Since my main goal is to ensure that all staff and students have the technology they need to be successful I have to take a moment to prioritize my calls.
It was nice to see how the kids grew up and playing with them.
Para Educator (Former Employee), Aurora, CoJune 21, 2014
Pros: discounts on keiser permenente and delta dentel
The day would start at seven, so that I could get ready and pack a lunch and get there by 8:00. Officially, my job starts at 8:30, but there is usually always something extra to do before the kids get there. After unlocking the door, I put down all the chairs from the tables, clean the tables, fill up the water table with water, toys and soap. Every other week I would be in charge of taking the toys outside on the playgrounds.
I would make sure there are enough supplies for the day and prepare snack early. Checking email should be something we do constantly. At 9:45 the kids come in. Both the teacher and I greet the students in and I make sure they hang up their coats and wash their hands. When they're all here, we go outside for half an hour.
This was my most favorite part of the day. Sometimes I helped organize small games like duck, duck, goose, or London bridge, sometimes they organize those games themselves.
We come inside and have group time. Then they have choice time. This part may have been the hardest, since the kids are all around the room and I have to keep my eye on all of them as well as hold a small group with a few of them. It became more nerve wrecking when I had to be observed and evaluated during choice time too.
Then we have reading time, snack time, where I clean the tables again and serve snack. Finally they go home.
I get to have lunch for 40-ish minutes. It depends how long it takes the parents to pick up the kids. Then the next class starts at 12:30 and I do the whole thing all over again.
When the day comes to an end and the rest of the kids have left, – more... I stay in the classroom to pick up any toys, clean the tables, pick up the chairs, empty the water table and anything else the teacher might need. Throughout the entire day I was also supposed to have taken notes about what the kids did or something new they could do. I have to put in these notes on Wednesdays to fill up a chart with the teacher.
The teacher I worked with was very honest with me and told me when I was messing up. I appreciated her advice and told her so, as well as acting upon it to the best of my abilities. There was some drama going on with her and the principal, but other then lending an ear, I didn't get involved. Other than that, I was able to get along with almost everyone.
It was a lot of work, and I managed to finish the school year, but since I was accepted to attend CU Denver for 3-D animation classes for the fall, I had to quit. – less
Think Twice Before Applying
Technician (Current Employee), aurora, COJune 12, 2014
Pros: pera
Cons: highly political and nepotistic organization
Salaries and benefits with APS are competitive, at least for the time being. Working conditions are highly variable from school to school, ranging from horrible to tolerable. Hiring and advancement are both accomplished through a network of personal and political alliances that rivals Game of Thrones in its complexity. If you make friends in the right places, you will do well and go far. But cross the wrong person and your career is dead. And do not express your ideas unless they agree with the policy being presented. It is dangerous to have your own opinions in this district.
I've only been a Classified/Licensed substitute in the district.
District-Wide Licensed Substitute (Former Employee), Aurora, COMay 19, 2014
Pros: spoke on this already.
Cons: spoke on this already.
As far as subbing goes, you got it made man...you make alot of money and the application process is fairly simple...as opposed to others I've seen throughout Colorado and the United States. The only problem with this district is the "GOOD BOYS CLUB". If you've never heard of the phrase, Google it and look it up. If you don't know or associate with the right people, you can feel uncomfortable alot of the time...because you don't know if you're being set up, watched, lied on, or other things of that nature. If you choose not to be part of the clique in a building where all the power is, you become an enemy and can be fired or harassed to the point where you end up practically quitting. I've run across so many administrators in this district that should never work in education again, but they seem to stay employed. These are administrators that have already messed up BADLY in the district, and they either keep their job or are moved to another department in the district. How do I know this, because I was a substitute that conversed with any and everybody that worked in this district for the last 6 years. Again, this is the district where the "GOOD BOYS CLUB" is rampant, and it sucks...because it's not helping the students or the educators who have to put up with it!
Multi-campus, many challenges
Computer Technician and Network Administrator (Current Employee), Aurora, ColoradoMay 16, 2014
Pros: i solve complex problems and make things work!
Cons: inconsistency, lack of focus or direction
We support over 50 sites and 45,000+ devices.
Typical day: Meetings (sometimes). I review work orders first thing in the morning. I take care of on site problems and then pick up computers to bring back to the shop. In the afternoon, I work on computer hardware.
Current management seems to be unfocused with no clear direction
Management communication is very poor.
Co-workers are top flight people who maintain excellence at all times.
The hardest part of my job is the inconsistency, uncertainty, cancelled meetings, lack of communication, and wondering what we're expected to do.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my clients and co-workers. There's no greater feeling!
30 hugs a day
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee), Aurora, COloradoApril 27, 2014
Pros: 30 hugs per day!
Cons: i had to leave and return the "real world" eventually!
I took this position as a temporary position while I transferred medical licensure from Michigan to Colorado. It turned out to be such a wonderful experience. The children's job was to "break it" and my job was to "fix it". And fix it I did. It did not take long to develop a fondness for the entire group to include facility, students and their families. The teachers said that I was the freebie in the hall. The children were not allowed to talk or "goof off" in the hall but if Miss Lynda was around, it was ok. I joked that I get at least 30 hugs per day! The best part of the job was educating the students about our American Flag and its heritage. Many of the children were from another country and English was their second language. Soon parent were sending notes to school asking me to write down the Pledge of Allegiance so they could learn it too. It was a very rewarding experience. The hardest part of the job was to terminate one of the night custodians. As difficult as it was, it was a regretfully necessary event. Organizing the custodial and mechanical maintenance, budgeting, repairing, managing , and student/staff interactions made this temporary position a very busy yet rewarding experience.
Fun Working Enviroment with Great Employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Aurora, COApril 6, 2014
Pros: fun work enviroment, we bring food in for everyone to share.
Cons: sometimes we get so busy we miss out on breaks.
I have learned so much about education in the past 15 years. What impact my job has on our funding for students at the state and federal level.
The Administrators are caring, loyal and fun to be around and to work with. They listen to our concerns and issues and always follow through with a resolution.
My co workers are always willing to help each other out with filing, archiving, viewing IEP's. We truly care about each other and are like family.
Fun environment to work in.
Fifth Grade Teacher (Former Employee), Aurora, CoMarch 20, 2014
Pros: the relationships i built with my students was priceless.
Cons: transferring to another school.
Busy teaching fifth grade students all subjects. I learned to be patient with myself. Learned to manage 28 fifth graders in a mobile. I liked my co-workers because they were genuine. The hardest part of my job was transferring to another school. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my students faces and their smiles.
Great people
Internal Auditor (Former Employee), Aurora, COMarch 1, 2014
Pros: the people made it what it is!
Cons: short lived - darned economy
It's one of the best places I every worked. People were fun, honesty, family oriented, supportive. There was always someone bringing in food and sharing something about their lives. It is a very upbeat and positive working environment. From top to bottom, everyone was great and no one was more important than the other.
Great area supervisors and great opportunities.
Custodian (Current Employee), Aurora, COFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: very family oreinted
Cons: compensation
Overall Aurora Public Schools has treated me well. The working evnviornment is very friendly. On a day to day basis, it is pretty much the same routine. Sometimes it gets old.
Working with Family
GED Examiner (Current Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: short breaks
Working at the GED center has allowed me to work with my best friend and in a tight community. A typical day starts an hour before the testing begins. We set up the space and begin checking in students. We then begin testing and keep track of progress. I learned patience and not everything is as it seems.
the management and co-workers are great. I loved going to work every day. The hardest part of the job is being constantly on the move. The most enjoyable part is to see the students pass their exams and complete their GED.
Great workplace, good benefits, and great opportunity
Family Liaison (Current Employee), Aurora, COJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: working with parents and students, great co- workers and environment, school schedule is great with time off.
Cons: i would have to say the pay
A typical day at work is not so typical. Every day is different and I like that. I work with students and parents at the elementary school level. I have learned that parents want someone to listen to them and help them figure out how to best help their students. I have a wonderful boss who understands what I do and is very supportive in helping me with parents. Our goal is to get more parent involvement in our school so our students are successful. My co-workers are great, understanding and helpful. The hardest part of my job is when I can not help parents because there is no resources for them. I enjoy empowering parents and students in becoming successful in school or any aspect of their life.
Productive and fun workplace assisting students achieve academic excellence
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Aurora, COOctober 26, 2013
Pros: engaging with students
Cons: insuffiecient hours
Productive and fun workplace assisting students achieve academic excellence.