Ausenco Employee Reviews

A small, but global engineering company
Manager: QMS, HSEC, and Projects Admin/Support (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 17, 2014
The company provides "pit to port" engineering and project management services oriented on the worldwide mining industry.

My coworkers, both locally and globally, were the best part of the job--engaged, creative, professional and yet still warm and team oriented. I particularly enjoyed working with folk from such a wide variety of cultures and home countries.
Pros
opportunity for foreign travel
Cons
foreign ownership
Long-term Temp Project Employees are Neglected
Admin (Former Employee) –  NevadaMay 28, 2012
Ausenco acquires businesses in industries they want to branch out into. Unfortunately, it resulted in the decision-makers being extremely far removed from the reality of site conditions. We answered to Canada but our HR/payroll was handled out of California. The Cali payroll rep & Canadian HSEC rep had no knowledge of the US/Nevada requirements. Meanwhile, Canada and California don't communicate. The general lack of communication, decisions made by people who have no understanding of working 65 miles from civilization, and the overall lack of response by people who were supposed to support us, left a general feeling of being neglected, forgotten, and sorely abused. Lastly, benefit premiums are astronimcally high by Nevada standards...but were were lumped into California's plan.
Pros
good pay, nice people, family/work balance
Cons
poor communication between departments, poor hr/payroll support, horrible benefit premiums
Engineering position for mining and minerals
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAJanuary 17, 2015
Worked with process modeling and audits for slurry concentrates and tailings transportation for mine sites.

I learned a significant amount of steady-state and transient process modeling. The hardest part of the job would have to be capital and operating cost estimation. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the finality of completed projects.
Good place to work with opportunities to travel around the world.
Lead Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 27, 2013
Ausenco is a small international engineering company that is a great place to work for. The travel opportunities that I had with this company have been amazing, from both a personal and professional point of view. My electrical design experience is international in scope because of my work at Ausenco.
Pros
travel, variety of work.
Cons
international travel is a strain to a family.
Avoid if possible
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Elko NEvadaNovember 8, 2012
Ausenco is a fiasco of a company. I was a contractor and Ausenco refused to support me in any way.

Management is extremely far away and do not understand the reality of site conditions. The engineering staff acted like it was punishment to be sent to Elko for even a short amount of time, so we had almost no support in that area.

I was asked to send all of my work and file weekly reports with Vancouver and in the same email I was told that I would receive nothing from them. Very confusing,... "You work for us, but we will do NOTHING for you!". Who runs a project like that?

The incredible lack of communication on top of decisions made by people who have no understanding of working 50+ miles from civilization, and much of the staff on site had become so jaded that sometimes they were as little help as Vancouver was. They were collecting a paycheck instead of trying to make the project a success.

To quote another reviewer: "The overall lack of response by people who were supposed to support us, left a general feeling of being neglected, forgotten, and sorely abused." Hits the nail right on the head.

On a side note, most of the Canadians we worked with could not see value in trying to improve the project in anyway. Their mentality was "Why fix it if it isn't broke?". It may not have been broke, but it was in need of improvement. So they thought it was a waste of time and that attitude drove me nuts.
Pros
i loved elko
Cons
lack of vision, lack of support, lack of quality people.
I have enjoyed working with Ausenco for the past five years.
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 12, 2013
I have enjoyed working with Ausenco for the past five years. I have learned a lot while working here. I enjoy working the team both here and in our other office. If it wasn't for relocating to Pennsylvania I would be staying with the company.
Great Engineering company
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  PeruJanuary 18, 2015
Great people, great thinking outside the box for engineering projects.
Pros
forward looking
Cons
lack of solid epcm experience
No ...No ...No ...!!!
Permanent employee (lasted 7 months) (Former Employee) –  VancouverSeptember 25, 2012
TERRIBLE COMPANY. Hire... Fire. Hire...Fire. Extremely high turnover. Terrible morale. No client focus. No integrity. Sloppy employee relations. Not professional. Only in it for a fast buck.
Pros
just a job.
Cons
bottom of the class -- tier c company.
Company that take care of their employees.
MOBILE CRUSHER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Tonkili site, Siera Leone.April 29, 2012
I learned to work with foreign people. My co-workers are fun and hard working. The most enjoyable of the job was the accomplishments.