Austal USA

Austal USA United States Employee Reviews

Production environment where you are held accountable
Structural Ship Fitter (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMarch 17, 2015
Pros: satisfation of completing something
Cons: work outside in the heat and cold
A typical day work starts a 4 am with getting the tools together it will take to do your job for the day. We have to pull power line and leads for our welding machine as well get out our personal tools. We then get a task card that tells us what our job is for the day, which my job is to erect modules to build aluminum ships. This complete fabrication from beginning to end, if it’s not right or don't it’s our job to make it fit. This job have given me knew skills such the ability to fabricate anything aluminum, as well as the ability to think critically to solve complicated problems. Management gives us the tools to be successful as well as the ability work in a team environment in which knowledge is shared. The hardest part of my job is the physical demanding part of but the reward of seeing the finished product float off into the sunset is well worth it.
Undrestanding work enviroment
Marine Electrician (Former Employee), Mobile, AlMarch 17, 2015
Began my day with a morning meeting with my supervisor.
Got paperwork on electrical panels that needed to be pre-inspected.
Made sure that all connections where correct, name plates correct, cleaned, etc. before panels lit off.
Be careful who you work for
Industrial Cleaner (Former Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: steady paycheck
Cons: picky black-ballers
I worked in a certain tedious, but minute position while there, but the department was plagued with people that were unprofessional to say the least. I can go on and on about how ridiculous their structure was
buddy system a very biased company
Marine Electrician (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: 4 day work week
Cons: cant move up unless you are friend or family member
been working there for almost three years and the company has gotten worse management doesn't care about production we need a union bad the pay is decent but they have too many unqualified workers including supervisors they don't treat craftsmen like they should
Logistics
Logistics Associate (Current Employee), Mobile, ALDecember 11, 2014
Typical workload consists of multiple MBoMs to create and issue. Modifications to compile, obtain signature approvals from Program Engineers, and issue in MPE, then Bizflow.
Coworkers are typically friendly and helpful. I am treated, and treat others as a primary customer, whether they are onsite suppliers/customer, or peers and coworkers.
A place to learn new skills.
Structural Foreman (Former Employee), Mobile, ALNovember 13, 2014
Cons: mis-management at the levels above me.
A typical day at work for me at Austal, was fast paced with multiple projects under my direction at any given time. I was not only involved in the process of building the vessel, but also in Employee management. At any given time I was responsible for 100+ employees and their supervisors. My direct managers were rarely involved with my day to day activities. The most enjoyable part of my experience was the satisfaction of successfully completing 3 vessels under budget and on time.
Great comapny. great benefits
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Mobile, AlabamaOctober 15, 2014
Austal was not under naval contracts at my time of employment. work was plentiful. Great coworkers. Great benefits.
My first shipyard experience has been great working at Austal USA
Aluminum Welder (Current Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: not enough supplies
My job task is easily described on what has to be done and what is expected to be done by the end of the shift. Management is always around to answer questions I might have to complete the job. My co-workers are always around for help with ideas.
compant has bugs to work out
Welder-Fitter (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 17, 2014
company and management need to get on the same page and needs to work together not against each other
Depressing place with poor work ethics and poor attitudes.
A=class pipe welder/ structural welder/ fitter (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 2, 2014
Pros: nothing.
Cons: everything you can possibly imagine.
A typical day at work here is filled with nonsense. Be prepared to have your personal tools stolen from you. If you have a supervisor that actually has company tools for you to work with, those will be stolen as well. Weld repair is a joke, most of them have bad attitudes. Supervisors have no idea what it takes to build a boat. Most of them started working with wood and now think they are qualified to build military vessels. The majority of foreman are just as incompetent. The Structural Manager is a saint sent there from heaven. He might actually be the only one who knows what is going on and how it could potentially get done.
Good pay and benefits
Pipe welder (Former Employee), mobile, alJune 14, 2014
Great benefits and pay, poor management and leadership of company officials. Okay work environment and employees
Good company w/ excellent benefits, opportunity and encourage personal growth.
Physical Security Specialist II (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMay 22, 2014
Pros: training, benefits, salary
In the industrial security realm, often one will have to work long hours to get the job done. Austal encourages employees to maintain a healthy balance between work and home life. This company also encourages employees to seek out opportunities for growth and provides numerous training opportunities to prepare employees for the next step in their career. Again, in the security realm, advancement is often slow and a long time coming due to extremely low turn over rate. Management is really good, just not perfect.
i would give Austal an 8 out of 10
Logistics Associate, Kanban Replenishment (Current Employee), mobile, alApril 22, 2014
Pros: hours, experience
Cons: parking, schedule, shipyard culture
its a very decent job to have, just the pay for my department is minuscule compared to others. hardly enough to get by on.
A good place to work.
Preventative Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Mobile, ALApril 21, 2014
Pros: working around a good group of people.
Cons: short handed at some times during the time i was working.
I Started As a seasonal employee in the Electrical Department and at the end of the season I was asked to stay on as a part-time employee. In a few months I applied for the Overnight Stock Associate and got the job as a full-time employee. I liked the opportunity Lowes' gave me and the people that worked there were good to me.
Great Instructors and Facility
Pipe Welder (Former Employee), Mobile, ALMarch 29, 2014
Pros: lax environment.
Cons: highly noisy.
Everyday was pretty much the same. Learning to do something until it was mastered. Everyone that worked there was very helpful and also very kind. The hardest part of the job was perfection, but in the end perfection was my standard for anything. There was no in-between or good enough. You either did it with perfection or you did not complete the task at hand.
Great manager and hourly employees in out department
Maintenance Foreman (Current Employee), Mobile, ALMarch 27, 2014
Pros: highly motivated maintenace crews
Cons: long drive and not opportunity for advancement.
Typical day starts a 03:00 when I leave for work. (80 mile commute 1 way). Work starts at 06:00 and continues until we are done.
Great place to work.
Preventive Maintenance Team Member (Current Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: no sick days, limited holidays
I have learned so much of how Navy ships are built. Being in the Navy 20 years and meeting several friends, didn't think this job would be as rewarding.
Good company but limited advancement
Deputy Program Engineer (Current Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 8, 2014
morning meetings, followed by discussions on pathways forward to support production. Research of corrective actions to be taken. Data base updates.

Management is concerned about profit and loss.

co-workers don't get to collaborate - everyone pretty much on their own.

Getting people to talk to each other. Everything is top priority, so people are torn between assignments.

great location on Gulf.
Report Writer/Software Developer (Former Employee), Mobile, ALFebruary 4, 2014
Development of new and modified Sql and Oracle Reports for ERP IFS systems company wide.
No rainouts!
Millwright (Former Employee), Mobile alabamaJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: no rainouts
Cons: long days
Steady work welding Navy Vessels inside work no rainouts diverse crowd