Austal USA Employee Reviews in United States

easily replaced and safety hazard
Mechanical Engineering Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 22, 2016
over worked, lack in communication, poor management, good ole boys club. if you are not a suck up and part of the click you never get promotions and get a chance to move up and safety is a joke in the yard.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hours, management, safety
Good company. decent pay.
Lead electrician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 19, 2016
This is a great company for people wanting to learn. The only problem i have seen is the people who work hard and want to excel are held back to produce.
Pros
good work enviornment
Cons
can not excel
Exellent benifits and advancement oppotunities
Lead Machinist Foreman- Duties (Former Employee) –  Mobile AlApril 13, 2016
I think this is a great company. I had the chance to move up in the company at a fast pace. It was easy to get out of the bed to report to work. I had the privilege to represent the company abroad as well as in the States.
Pros
Ability for advancement
Cons
The company grew too fast without preparing for the growth
Pays The Bills
B-Class Welder / B-Class Fitter (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 31, 2016
Clean Safe Place to work. Great advancement opportunities. Night Shift from 3 to 11 days from 6 to 2. Hrdest part of the job is The element . Hot in the summer , cold in the winter.
Hostile work environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 4, 2016
Typical day is trying to justify fast & cheap
Zero quality control. Zero document control. Primary goal of coworkers is finding fault & placing blame. Management is poor. Parking is worse. They don't treat employees well. Be prepared to be used like a tool and then discarded. Lots of backbiting. Low pay and poor working conditions. The ships are poorly constructed. Focus is fast and cheap. The hardest part of the job is maintaining personal integrity. The most enjoyable part is cashing the paycheck and leaving
Pros
It's clean
Cons
Too many to list
ok
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 17, 2015
ok company just a lot of people in the wrong position it could be a great place if it wasn't for that hope the best for any one else
ok place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALOctober 9, 2015
good place to work but you need to watch your back if in management,there are folks that cant do there job,so all they can do if thy to uplift theme by pointing out others shortcomings
Growing company who's leadership has not grown with it.
Post Delivery Support Director (Current Employee) –  Mobile, A;September 10, 2015
Growing company who has not outgrown the small company mentality. Current senior leadership is micro-manages all aspects of the effort..
Pros
Growing, face paced opportunity for development of new skill sets
Cons
promotions are stifled, tendency to not put employees first.
verry clean working inviorment
ALUMINUM WELDER 1ST CLASS (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 2, 2015
The whole vessel is built inside have its pros and cons , we never had to worry about the weather but when its hot its extra hot and when its cold it extra cold. The management make sure we have a clear understanding of what we are welding and how to weld it.
Pros
open to ideas
Cons
trafic
Productive good place to work
PM/C & P/LOTO Lead Foreman (Former Employee) –  mobile alabamaAugust 15, 2015
fast pace work environment. Decent place to work. room for adancement. Worked with alot of good people for the most part.
great place to work
Fiber Optic Technician (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 16, 2015
Its a great opportunity for someone who's living in Alabama. The job is very easy is you have experience in electronics or testing. Its still a new shipyard so it hasnt worked out all its flaws and alot of workers didnt have any shipyard experience before coming there. a typical work day is very easy, your given a task and you have to complete it. the supervisors doesnt stand over your shoulder they expect you to put in a good day of work
Pros
pay for lunch
Cons
short breaks
Very educational employer
Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 3, 2015
After 8 years with this company, I am still learning and improving myself on a daily basis. I am in charge of a 22 man crew. I love being a supervisor and I love my job and job family.
Bias work shop
Fit Out Apprentice/B Class Welder (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 5, 2015
I always felt unwelcome and insecure in the workshop I was in for the HVAC Dept. I was constantly asked why am I working there as a woman and other uncomfortable questions. I was able to work great under other departments. Other Depts gave me the opportunity to work Overtime with them.

I must say I learned quiet a bit from an exceptional FitOut Apprentice instructor during my classroom weeks. I was forced to learn more on my own and through mistakes as i was continuously assigned to a task alone or with someone who wasn't qualified to train me in my trade. Which would lead me to become injured constantly to the point i was taking days off of work and seeing a chiropractor 4 times a week which initially counted against me with absences HR states chiropractors were not qualified DR's to file my FMLA and eventually i was termintated due to absences.
Pros
the learning experience
Cons
Bias work environment
Clean Work enviroment
Class A Marine Electrician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 18, 2015
I worked 4-10hr days and usually worked on Friday as over time. Having to climb many stairwell was time consuming. Over all the work environment was good.
Production environment where you are held accountable
Structural Ship Fitter (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 17, 2015
A typical day work starts a 4 am with getting the tools together it will take to do your job for the day. We have to pull power line and leads for our welding machine as well get out our personal tools. We then get a task card that tells us what our job is for the day, which my job is to erect modules to build aluminum ships. This complete fabrication from beginning to end, if it’s not right or don't it’s our job to make it fit. This job have given me knew skills such the ability to fabricate anything aluminum, as well as the ability to think critically to solve complicated problems. Management gives us the tools to be successful as well as the ability work in a team environment in which knowledge is shared. The hardest part of my job is the physical demanding part of but the reward of seeing the finished product float off into the sunset is well worth it.
Pros
satisfation of completing something
Cons
work outside in the heat and cold
Undrestanding work enviroment
Marine Electrician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, AlMarch 17, 2015
Began my day with a morning meeting with my supervisor.
Got paperwork on electrical panels that needed to be pre-inspected.
Made sure that all connections where correct, name plates correct, cleaned, etc. before panels lit off.
Be careful who you work for
Industrial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 9, 2015
I worked in a certain tedious, but minute position while there, but the department was plagued with people that were unprofessional to say the least. I can go on and on about how ridiculous their structure was
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
picky black-ballers
buddy system a very biased company
Marine Electrician (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 23, 2015
been working there for almost three years and the company has gotten worse management doesn't care about production we need a union bad the pay is decent but they have too many unqualified workers including supervisors they don't treat craftsmen like they should
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
cant move up unless you are friend or family member
Logistics
Logistics Associate (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 11, 2014
Typical workload consists of multiple MBoMs to create and issue. Modifications to compile, obtain signature approvals from Program Engineers, and issue in MPE, then Bizflow.
Coworkers are typically friendly and helpful. I am treated, and treat others as a primary customer, whether they are onsite suppliers/customer, or peers and coworkers.
A place to learn new skills.
Structural Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 13, 2014
A typical day at work for me at Austal, was fast paced with multiple projects under my direction at any given time. I was not only involved in the process of building the vessel, but also in Employee management. At any given time I was responsible for 100+ employees and their supervisors. My direct managers were rarely involved with my day to day activities. The most enjoyable part of my experience was the satisfaction of successfully completing 3 vessels under budget and on time.
Cons
mis-management at the levels above me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austal USA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9