Austin American-Statesman Employee Reviews

Newspaper isn't what it used to be
Production Manager/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 13, 2017
When I joined the Statesman 17 years ago, there we so many employees that had 20 plus, even 30 years with the company. Now I think it would be rare to find anyone with over ten years there. Newspaper just isn't the industry it once was.
Pros
Pretty location right on the river
Cons
Long hours for low pay
Great company
Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2017
Culture and process are in place for success. Great variety of products available to sell. Good employee benefits and incentives. Salary could be more competitive.
Pros
Great culture.
Cons
Salary could be more competitive. Austin is a very expensive place to live.
i worked for them when it was union
Supervisor of the Pressroom (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2017
its no longer a union job, so I dont know what its like to work there anymore It has been many years since I worked there. I don't know what to tell you
Difficult hours, but good advancement opourtunities
Prepress Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 2, 2017
Began working there during reorganizing/restructuring downsizing departments. leadership more focused on deadlines and not life/work balance. Great working conditions and tools. Fantastic HR department.
Pros
First class tools and technology. Fantastic HR deparment.
Cons
Poor leadership empathy towards employees.
Great workers, management is slow to react to market and media innovation
Web Content Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2017
The pay is miserable at the Statesman and the company is incredibly cumbersome and slow to react to market conditions and media innovations. The employees are to a person wonderful, engaged, and thoroughly professional. Management is at best indifferent at worst actually impeding.
Productive and positive environment
Accounting Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2017
I truly cherish the time I worked at The Austin American-Statesman. The environment makes you excited to get to work. They are passionate about their work and it takes the multitude of personalities that they have to get each thing done perfectly!
Was a great place to work
Electrical / Mechanical Press tech III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2016
Typical day was 10 hrs. Learned to advance with printing technology.
Upper management but lower management / supervisors needed more training and people skills.
Co-workers helpful. Hardest part of job was getting operators to report problems when the happened instead of reporting them after runs.
Looking back after repairs had been completed.
Pros
Little supervision
Cons
Job played out.
fun place to work
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2016
enjoyed my time here. co-workers were wonderful. we were all like family. starting in accounting department and ended in the warehouse. learned so many various positions. hardest part of the job i would say trying to learn to drive an electric jack
Great Place to Work
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2016
The staff is very encouraging to young reporters looking to make their mark in the industry. The education dept. is committed to investigate reporting!
As a Courier
Courier (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJune 25, 2016
I started with a AAS as a contactor on 1431 and South bell in Cedar Park delivering papers.
I took this job as a second income. I met the owner and discuss the rates. He never presented a contact for employment. I asked many times and got the cold shoulder. After two week I left due to poor work conditions. No AC, NO fans, Hot warehouse building, No water, no direction or training. Worked everyday, 7days a week, from midnight till 5ish. the average route paid $200 a week. Most had 2 routes $400 divide by 7= $58 a day or 10 bucks a hours. Then take the cost of gas and wear on your car and then taxes at the end of the year.
You might be making 7 to 8 bucks a hour for a late night job 7 days a week including ALL Holidays. Then when you leave if you do not give a 30 day notice ... yes 30 days there is a $500 fine that you fine out after you leave. So for the last two weeks you work and incur all that cost and time your pay is 0. Plus it takes 1 month of service before you get your first check.
In the two weeks I was there I saw 5 people come and go for the same reason.
The plus for some ... no Back ground check, drug screen, and SS validation.
In addition, the owner does not call you back after many emails and calls.
Not the place to work.

Want to know more about Austin American-Statesman?

Ask a question
Previous Employer
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 23, 2016
This was a great place to work - I was given the opportunity to advance and further my Administrative skills. The people were awesome and the opportunities for volunteering in the community was great. They had great employee incentives, event tickets and such.
Pros
employee benefits and incentives
Cons
long commute to downtown austin
Courier
Courier (Former Employee) –  GeorgetownOctober 9, 2015
A typical day at work to be at branch by 1230 am and leave approximatley 200 am. have to put together papers. with many miles that you are having to drive do not get compensated for any type of mileage you are only paid per paper thrown. Downfall to job no days off unless you train and pay someone that you know to take your route other wise it is a 7 night a week job no matter what weather conditions are and if you are not able to complete your route due to weather you will be terminated
Austin american statesman
night side manager (Former Employee) –  austin TxAugust 19, 2015
Was a stable and good company to work for 31 years
The company supported employees and developed their talent
Good benefits and awesome pay
Pros
good pay, good people, developed talent
Cons
working nights
great place to work
facilitator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2015
I loved every moment that i have been employed at the statesman. would do it all over again. It has been a great life experience
Pros
great pay
Cons
na
Multimedia enterprise providing opportunity to add digital to advertising package portfolio.
MULTIMEDIA ADVERTISING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 16, 2015
present multimedia product data and support information. Sell and manage accounts. Develop mutually beneficial partnerships with potential clients, staff and management. Perform phone presentations to procure sales using product data and demographic sources. Track multimedia sales and assist manager with development and preparation of annual budget based on budget forecasts.
Amazing company who cares about work-life balance
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day was in the office surrounded by beautiful scenery on the lake providing human resources to employees and walk-in customers. Management was attentive and proactive. HR Director was very easy to communicate with and pleasant to work for. She offered many opportunities to grow and showcase talent. Co-workers were very easy to do business with and enjoyable to be around. The atmosphere was light but hardworking. The hardest part of the job was leaving it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interactions with the employees and co-workers who some became life long friends. I give five stars for work-life balance and benefits offered at the Statesman. The culture of the company is amazing! I also give five stars for their service to the community.
Pros
sense of family, great location, work-life balance, culture
Cons
downtown traffic, parking
Great newsroom to work in
Breaking News Reporter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasDecember 9, 2014
I've been in a lot of newsrooms, and this is the best one I've experienced.
Wonderful working environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  austin, txAugust 25, 2014
I loved my job. I only left due to moving out of state. The management was exceptional.
Mgmt needs to come up to speed, support staff undervalued and overworked
SYSTEMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2014
Company has undergone restructure.
The local management team is almost entirely new.
Support roles have been reduced and/or centralized.
Change is difficult - and this company is in the thick of it.
It will take some time to get over the magnitude of change that has taken place.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Austin American Statesman
Digital Advertising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2014
On a daily basis I work on campaign building, monitoring and optimizing. Management strives to develop their digital team and compete with industry standards.
Pros
Located on Lady Bird Lake
Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin American-Statesman. Our community is ready to answer.

Austin American-Statesman Reviews by Location