Austin American-Statesman Employee Reviews in United States

As a Courier
Courier (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJune 25, 2016
I started with a AAS as a contactor on 1431 and South bell in Cedar Park delivering papers.
I took this job as a second income. I met the owner and discuss the rates. He never presented a contact for employment. I asked many times and got the cold shoulder. After two week I left due to poor work conditions. No AC, NO fans, Hot warehouse building, No water, no direction or training. Worked everyday, 7days a week, from midnight till 5ish. the average route paid $200 a week. Most had 2 routes $400 divide by 7= $58 a day or 10 bucks a hours. Then take the cost of gas and wear on your car and then taxes at the end of the year.
You might be making 7 to 8 bucks a hour for a late night job 7 days a week including ALL Holidays. Then when you leave if you do not give a 30 day notice ... yes 30 days there is a $500 fine that you fine out after you leave. So for the last two weeks you work and incur all that cost and time your pay is 0. Plus it takes 1 month of service before you get your first check.
In the two weeks I was there I saw 5 people come and go for the same reason.
The plus for some ... no Back ground check, drug screen, and SS validation.
In addition, the owner does not call you back after many emails and calls.
Not the place to work.
Courier
Courier (Former Employee) –  GeorgetownOctober 9, 2015
A typical day at work to be at branch by 1230 am and leave approximatley 200 am. have to put together papers. with many miles that you are having to drive do not get compensated for any type of mileage you are only paid per paper thrown. Downfall to job no days off unless you train and pay someone that you know to take your route other wise it is a 7 night a week job no matter what weather conditions are and if you are not able to complete your route due to weather you will be terminated
Austin american statesman
night side manager (Former Employee) –  austin TxAugust 19, 2015
Was a stable and good company to work for 31 years
The company supported employees and developed their talent
Good benefits and awesome pay
Pros
good pay, good people, developed talent
Cons
working nights
great place to work
facilitator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2015
I loved every moment that i have been employed at the statesman. would do it all over again. It has been a great life experience
Pros
great pay
Cons
na
Multimedia enterprise providing opportunity to add digital to advertising package portfolio.
MULTIMEDIA ADVERTISING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 16, 2015
present multimedia product data and support information. Sell and manage accounts. Develop mutually beneficial partnerships with potential clients, staff and management. Perform phone presentations to procure sales using product data and demographic sources. Track multimedia sales and assist manager with development and preparation of annual budget based on budget forecasts.
Amazing company who cares about work-life balance
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day was in the office surrounded by beautiful scenery on the lake providing human resources to employees and walk-in customers. Management was attentive and proactive. HR Director was very easy to communicate with and pleasant to work for. She offered many opportunities to grow and showcase talent. Co-workers were very easy to do business with and enjoyable to be around. The atmosphere was light but hardworking. The hardest part of the job was leaving it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interactions with the employees and co-workers who some became life long friends. I give five stars for work-life balance and benefits offered at the Statesman. The culture of the company is amazing! I also give five stars for their service to the community.
Pros
sense of family, great location, work-life balance, culture
Cons
downtown traffic, parking
Great newsroom to work in
Breaking News Reporter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasDecember 9, 2014
I've been in a lot of newsrooms, and this is the best one I've experienced.
Wonderful working environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  austin, txAugust 25, 2014
I loved my job. I only left due to moving out of state. The management was exceptional.
Mgmt needs to come up to speed, support staff undervalued and overworked
SYSTEMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2014
Company has undergone restructure.
The local management team is almost entirely new.
Support roles have been reduced and/or centralized.
Change is difficult - and this company is in the thick of it.
It will take some time to get over the magnitude of change that has taken place.
Pros
excellent benefits
Austin American Statesman
Digital Advertising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2014
On a daily basis I work on campaign building, monitoring and optimizing. Management strives to develop their digital team and compete with industry standards.
Pros
located on lady bird lake
benefits

Want to know more about Austin American-Statesman?

Ask a question
productive and fun workplace.
Inserter Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2014
it was always great team work. I loved that I stayed busy all day.
it could be better
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 12, 2014
the managers were okay to work for...
It was just too much!

7 days a week. No holidays.

and it was wayyyyy too much hours.

I had to work from 10 pm to like 9 am...
just for a low paying job.
Pros
good for kids
Cons
everything
productive and training
Sr. Computer Operator / Operations Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2013
A company where you can utilize experience and skills learned throughout the years. I am a dependable and loyal candidate, I spent the last 14 years at the Austin American Statesman as a computer/print operator. Before that, I was employed at Safeco Insurance up in Seattle Washington for close to 10 years. Once I am in I stay with the company and grow with whatever opportunities that may arise. I am a self starter with enthusiasm that radiates with my co-workers, yet I am humble enough to not stir up any ill feelings among my peers.
Pros
health insurance
Would recommend this job to a friend
Maintenance and Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 4, 2013
Respond to work orders.
Enjoyed working for the news paper
Cant really identify the hardest part of the job.
great group of people
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 25, 2013
I was very happy working with all the folks at the Statesman.
They run a very tight ship and they do it well.
The operation is a incredible endevor that requires good managment, and massive infrastructure.
Working in the warehouse was often like being in a cable/educational show, clearly an experience.
Pros
good people / working with toyota industrial products
Cons
it was at night
Interesting place to work with a great location
Building Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 16, 2013
I was a manager in facilities for 10 years and managed a 14 person crew responsible for the upkeep of this 370,000 sq ft. production facility. I learned the media business and the Statesman's role in the community. My co-workers were a diverse group of Austinites and the average tenure of employment was 25 years!
The best part of the job was access to news, community involvement, and the people who worked there. The hardest part of the job was getting laid off.
Pros
free newspapers
Cons
no autonomy
Productive and Fun
Payment Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasDecember 4, 2012
Working for the Austin American Statesman was fun-in the sense that my coworkers were joyful and friendly towards one another.
The gentleman I worked under was a very pleasant man who literally had an open door policy.
Pros
on occassion we had free lunches. office meetings
Cons
drive to and from work -seems like i was always driving
Not a good place
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Cedar park, toJune 11, 2012
If you are a carrier at AAS, you are treated like a dog. No matter what the customer says, they are right and you are wrong. There is no middle ground, nor room for even the slightest error. The papers sometimes are delivered way past their expected time, which means you won't get done throwing until late, but guess what! You are STILL charged for those late papers. apparently in the 1431 branch, it's ok for them to not provide soap to wash hands with, or paper towels or even toilet paper, god forbid. There have been a few times that the doors to the bathrooms were locked so no one could use them! This was done because the delivery people were blamed for the toilets backing up. Interesting right? It is a concrete building with no air conditioning so be prepared, it's hot and dirty.
Cons
hot, low pay, no raises
Very productive and good learning enviorment
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2012
A typical day at work included dealing with carriers, calling customers to make sure they got the papers, solving costumer problems, and training new workers. Working for the Statesman taught me discipline to work hard and how to keep costumers happy and subscribing to the paper. I always got along with my co-workers, which was very important because we would work sometimes seven days a week and holidays, so getting along was very important. The hardest part of my job was waking up early in the morning and the most enjoyable part was talking to my co-workers because we were like a family.
Newspaper publishing
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 11, 2012
This was a good place to work, very eclectic. However there were few opportunities for job growth.

Austin American-Statesman Reviews by Location