Austin Energy Employee Reviews

Streesful
Assist in explaining the billing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2017
Typical work day just answering phones from customers wanting to transfer services and or start new services. Learned on how the other side of billing works with Austin Energy. Management was okay could be better. Work culture was nice everyone treated everyone good. Hardest part of the job the drive from Georgetown to Downtown Austin. And working as a contractor then permanent position.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Not professional enough internally
Not recommended for innovative, focused and results oriented people
Customer Assistance Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 3, 2017
Top heavy and bureaucratic organization that is slow to make decisions and has sub-par benefits. Unorganized and antiquated-redundant processes. Nepotism and favoritism toward friends and family of middle managers.
Pros
Opportunity for unskilled and minorities in certain positions
Cons
Below average benefits and nepotism.
No path to advancement
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 30, 2016
I left after almost four year because I was still a contractor despite my performance. The conversion process is slow and unfair to more tenured employees.
event staff
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2016
a typical day at work for an city of Austin employee is very hectic. work orders come by the load, and its always something that needs to be done
Productive and good learning environment with friendly staff
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 21, 2016
AE is a great company to work for, great benefits and great people. great learning opportunities as long as you acquaint yourself with the right partners.
Work Place
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2016
Great place to work good benefits. I have work there for 9 years and really enjoyed it. I would recommend working for the city of austin.
System Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 19, 2016
team work, good management, focus on excellent customer service, cross training, committed to quality, focus on project accomplishment in timely manner.
Pros
productive environment
Cons
no paid leaves, no health care
great
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2016
everyone was willing to help train new comers , the pay was great and i loved the overall job. a typical work day we were busy but we never had a bad day.
Pros
pay
Cons
the hours
fun and stress free enviroment
Business System Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2016
I was working with very nice and down to earth supervisor and manager. I never had stress during my internship. The pay was good and the coworkers were very friendly and helpful. I had the access to online tutorials such as Esri ArcGis through Austin Energy.
Pros
good benefits and retirement plan
Cons
lower salary compare to private companies and hardly you get promoted.
Productive and fun workplace
LINUX ADMIN (Current Employee) –  AUSTINOctober 19, 2015
Fun work place supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics , but this is expected of a big company.
I wish I could have worked there for the rest of my life!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2015
Duties:

Process rebates for commercial customers installing energy efficient systems in their buildings.

Energy Efficiency Services Department - Take meeting notes.

Schedule meetings

Make travel arrangements and apply for employee reimbursements
Pros
Good people, steady workflow
Cons
Management in flux
Good internship
Power System Graduate Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2015
I had a great internship but it could have been very poor if my manager was worse. Overall he taught me a lot and I was happy that I was able to work with him.
Fast-paced work environment with very little direction
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Working for this company taught me that with efficient training and trainers the company could have been ran much smoother with minimal errors.
Busy productive work place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2015
Inbound call center located in Austin TX. Answered busy multi-lined phone calls regarding utility water/electric accounts. Very fast paste job.
Pros
Working for the City of Austin
Cons
Healthcare
Challenging and productive workplace
Consultant, ESD Projects & Technologies (Current Employee) –  Austin TXJuly 4, 2015
Forty hour work week, challenging and productive workplace, can be intense and/or relaxed environment, good people to work with, opportunities to learn.
Great place to work. Good people, good wages, and good culture
Network Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2015
Austin Energy is a wonderful workplace! The people I had the pleasure to work with were overwhelmingly positive. The work was reasonable and generally well planned. Supervisors are fair and open to ideas from others. Management, however, is slow to respond to important areas of concern. Job advancement is also slow. extremely poor
Pros
Wonderful employee benefits. Excellent compensation
Cons
Slow advancement, extremely poor handling of bad employees by HR
Fast-paced environment with room to grow
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at work begins with contractors signing in and going though safety orientation.
7:00
Review my to-do list from yesterday
Re-prioritize my list for today
Sort through my e-mail
Answer emails
Sort out those that require more time or extra work to answer
move them to my to-do list
8:00
Since this is my most productive time of day tackle my most demanding project.
This is when I would write important letters, work on a report for the management meeting, update or refine a data sheet.
11:00
Great time for meetings. This is a nice to take a break from desk work and it has a definite end time (lunch)
12:00
Lunch (Away from my desk, because I need to refresh and rejuvenate)
1:00
Return phone calls, respond to emails, work on to-do list
2:30-4:00
Do data entry, send or pay bills, prepare mailings, things that are more routine and don’t require as much energy. This is a good time to get routine jobs complete
Burst of final effort to complete my to-do list. Sort out things that can be moved to tomorrow’s list. This time of day is my best ‘sorting’ time – complete short, easy projects, request information from others for my projects, clean off my desk, etc.
In between all of this I answer the phone and deal with the immediate needs of customers and co-workers. As the face of the business, it is important that I handle interruptions to my schedule with graciousness and unruffled efficiency.
I have found that the most important quality in an office assistant is flexibility. You must be able to switch gears quickly to respond
  more... to constant interruptions and the demands of the boss. I also feel that the office is the hub of the business. The assistant must be knowledgeable about all aspects of the business and be able to receive, evaluate and pass on information to all areas in the workplace.”

WHEW!!
Pros
The ability to interact with all levels, help build company moral through employee engagement events projects
Cons
Office politics, The amount of interruptions we face on our daily routine, Being a dumping ground, The scope to expand knowledge and skill sets
Wonderful place to work
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin TXMarch 12, 2015
Enjoyed my tenure. Performed independent project management work in the area of financial reporting. Successfully tapped into transactional data and cultivated reliable and sustainable transactional reports for the IT Project Management Office.
Stressful Enviroment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2014
Customer were allowed to be insulting to us and we had to take it. Our time sheet was altered. One of the lowest paying call center jobs.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Stressful
Municipal Programs Professional (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2014
Typical day at work? fun and productive, learned how to deal with different issues, problem and solve them. Management are great, very supportive and their doors are always open. co-workers are also awesome. Help each other with any issue team work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Austin Energy Reviews by Location