Austin Energy Employee Reviews in United States

great
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 3, 2016
everyone was willing to help train new comers , the pay was great and i loved the overall job. a typical work day we were busy but we never had a bad day.
Pros
pay
Cons
the hours
fun and stress free enviroment
Business System Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2016
I was working with very nice and down to earth supervisor and manager. I never had stress during my internship. The pay was good and the coworkers were very friendly and helpful. I had the access to online tutorials such as Esri ArcGis through Austin Energy.
Pros
good benefits and retirement plan
Cons
lower salary compare to private companies and hardly you get promoted.
Productive and fun workplace
LINUX ADMIN (Current Employee) –  AUSTINOctober 19, 2015
Fun work place supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics , but this is expected of a big company.
I wish I could have worked there for the rest of my life!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2015
Duties:

Process rebates for commercial customers installing energy efficient systems in their buildings.

Energy Efficiency Services Department - Take meeting notes.

Schedule meetings

Make travel arrangements and apply for employee reimbursements
Pros
Good people, steady workflow
Cons
Management in flux
Good internship
Power System Graduate Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2015
I had a great internship but it could have been very poor if my manager was worse. Overall he taught me a lot and I was happy that I was able to work with him.
Fast-paced work environment with very little direction
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2015
Working for this company taught me that with efficient training and trainers the company could have been ran much smoother with minimal errors.
Busy productive work place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2015
Inbound call center located in Austin TX. Answered busy multi-lined phone calls regarding utility water/electric accounts. Very fast paste job.
Pros
Working for the City of Austin
Cons
Healthcare
Challenging and productive workplace
Consultant, ESD Projects & Technologies (Current Employee) –  Austin TXJuly 4, 2015
Forty hour work week, challenging and productive workplace, can be intense and/or relaxed environment, good people to work with, opportunities to learn.
Great place to work. Good people, good wages, and good culture
Network Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2015
Austin Energy is a wonderful workplace! The people I had the pleasure to work with were overwhelmingly positive. The work was reasonable and generally well planned. Supervisors are fair and open to ideas from others. Management, however, is slow to respond to important areas of concern. Job advancement is also slow. extremely poor
Pros
Wonderful employee benefits. Excellent compensation
Cons
Slow advancement, extremely poor handling of bad employees by HR
Fast-paced environment with room to grow
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin TexasMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at work begins with contractors signing in and going though safety orientation.
7:00
Review my to-do list from yesterday
Re-prioritize my list for today
Sort through my e-mail
Answer emails
Sort out those that require more time or extra work to answer
move them to my to-do list
8:00
Since this is my most productive time of day tackle my most demanding project.
This is when I would write important letters, work on a report for the management meeting, update or refine a data sheet.
11:00
Great time for meetings. This is a nice to take a break from desk work and it has a definite end time (lunch)
12:00
Lunch (Away from my desk, because I need to refresh and rejuvenate)
1:00
Return phone calls, respond to emails, work on to-do list
2:30-4:00
Do data entry, send or pay bills, prepare mailings, things that are more routine and don’t require as much energy. This is a good time to get routine jobs complete
Burst of final effort to complete my to-do list. Sort out things that can be moved to tomorrow’s list. This time of day is my best ‘sorting’ time – complete short, easy projects, request information from others for my projects, clean off my desk, etc.
In between all of this I answer the phone and deal with the immediate needs of customers and co-workers. As the face of the business, it is important that I handle interruptions to my schedule with graciousness and unruffled efficiency.
I have found that the most important quality in an office assistant is flexibility. You must be able to switch gears quickly to respond to constant interruptions and the demands of the boss.
  more... I also feel that the office is the hub of the business. The assistant must be knowledgeable about all aspects of the business and be able to receive, evaluate and pass on information to all areas in the workplace.”

WHEW!!
Pros
the ability to interact with all levels, help build company moral through employee engagement events projects
Cons
office politics, the amount of interruptions we face on our daily routine, being a dumping ground, the scope to expand knowledge and skill sets
Wonderful place to work
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin TXMarch 12, 2015
Enjoyed my tenure. Performed independent project management work in the area of financial reporting. Successfully tapped into transactional data and cultivated reliable and sustainable transactional reports for the IT Project Management Office.
Stressful Enviroment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2014
Customer were allowed to be insulting to us and we had to take it. Our time sheet was altered. One of the lowest paying call center jobs.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
stressful
Municipal Programs Professional (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2014
Typical day at work? fun and productive, learned how to deal with different issues, problem and solve them. Management are great, very supportive and their doors are always open. co-workers are also awesome. Help each other with any issue team work.
New IT Management now in place
Sr. Data Modeler/Architect (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 1, 2014
Changes are underway.
Dismissed (4 contractors) from work after one month after being hired as a contractor due to inability of management to define requirements and assign work to be accomplished.
Good company to work for.
System Support Specialist B (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2014
Good company to work for.
Work days were great.
Poor management, favoritism is not my thing.
Hardest part of the job was to try and win favor over people.
Typical Day At work
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 24, 2014
A typical day at work was filling paper work and using the computer for excle and filling paper work and ocasionaly moving boxes
Great hours and location
Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  downtown AustinSeptember 20, 2013
I enjoyed working at the City of Austin. Great location and pay.
Pros
great location
Cons
not any
Great work/life balance environment!!!
Senior Utility Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 7, 2013
I worked with wonderful people and had a great supportive team at Austin Energy. I learned a lot from everyone -- from providing excellent customer service skills to learning helpful tricks in Excel/Access for reporting analysis. The hardest part of the job was when I had to leave to move to San Jose, CA to be with my husband.
Pros
wonderful co-workers!!!
Cons
there were not a lot of opportunities for career development.
stuck
Customer Service Supervisor Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasJanuary 14, 2013
Austin Energy really has no in house advancement for its employees. You really have to know someone to move up in this highly politcal enviroment.
Pros
job stability
Cons
no advancement oppurtunities
very productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2012
Assisted phone and online customers, taking payments, setting up payment plans. Hardest part of the job were the hours.
Pros
tv in break room
Cons
late hours