Austin Independent School District

Austin Independent School District Employer Reviews

Challenging teaching environment
Elementary School Second Grade ESL Teacher (Current Employee), Austin,TXJuly 29, 2014
Pros: fellow teachers
Cons: few breaks and the inability to talk to adults.
Meeting and working with "good people" who work very hard to succeed.
A very large district with conflicting priorities
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: summer vacation
Cons: unclear expectations and conflicting demands
I enjoyed my time teaching at Austin ISD but ultimately found that teaching wasn't the career path for me. The hours are very long, and I worked most weekends, however those hours were recuperated during the summer vacation.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the ever-changing priorities set in place by different departments in the district, – more... including Dual Language, Early Childhood, various grants and campus policies. – less
Fun and supprotive staff!
Bilingual Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 11, 2014
I absolutely loved my job with AISD. Everyone was very helpful and supportive. The atmosphere is great and I woke up every morning happy to go into work.
I'm passionate about teaching. But, can't rely on the income.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TX.June 27, 2014
Pros: low income. job-insecurity.
Cons: i feel like i'm making a difference in people's lives. i really love teaching!
I love being an educator, I've worked in an instructional position, of some sort, for the past decade. My day involves multiple tasks; curriculum planning, physical activity, time-management, data entry (grades, disciplinary forms, etc.), presentation of materials, clear and concise communication with students, parents, administration, and co-workers, – more... and maintaining a sense of humor, and a positive attitude.
It is heartbreaking to see someone who feels insignificant. And it frustrates me when people make excuses, instead figuring out solutions.
I have become a much better listener because of my work with youth. I also love feeling like I've positively impacted someone's life. I find great joy in problem-solving, and helping others achieve their goals. – less
great work environment but no advancement
High School Educator- James Bowie High School (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 24, 2014
Hard to advance within the industry. After 10-15 years you make a measly 4k more.
Job Culture was great and compensation, benefits package was good.
Attendance Clerk / Registrar (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 21, 2014
Pros: holidays, spring breaks, vacation time.
Cons: 30 minute lunches, sometimes no breaks because someone needed help.
I enjoyed working with people, especially the children. The days went by fast because I was always busy. I was always learning new things, regarding families and situations and how to assist. The most enjoyable part of the day was in the morning when the children were saying the morning pledge and announcements. The hardest part of the day was when – more... everyone (teachers, parents, students, needed my help and their is only one of me). My co-workers were hard workers and we all enjoyed our jobs even when we complained to one and another. (life) – less
Political and budget issues at administrative level lead to stressful, overcrowded classrooms. Dedicated teachers/students make it a worthy endeavor.
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 19, 2014
There is way too much politics involved. Oftentimes, teachers (including myself) are not given the full support they need from administrators and upper management. Budget shortfalls (as a result of administrative mismanagement) are a daily issue within the classroom for both students and teachers. For example, teacher layoffs (or those moved from full – more... to part-time) oftentimes leads to over-crowded classrooms, lower test scores, a more stressful classroom environment, increased student discipline problems for teachers, increased grading time at home, and a higher teacher to student ratio which can lead to many students not getting the quality or quantity instruction time they deserve. The above description, for many teachers at my school and across AISD, describes some of the many pitfalls that we encounter in a typical day of teaching. Mind you, the actual teaching and learning time I spend with my students is very rewarding and is the reason I became (and stayed) a teacher in the first place. The teachers I work (or have worked) with are for the most part a dedicated group of people who often go above and beyond their normal duties to ensure student academic and personnel success. It has been a privilege to work with this wonderful group of people over the last 9 years. In addition, seeing my students succeed not just academically, but in life as a whole, is the most rewarding part of my job. – less
Great Education
Childcare Worker (Current Employee), Austin TxApril 22, 2014
•AISD is a diverse, urban district that is making great progress in student academic achievement. AISD is the fifth largest school district in Texas, and serves approximately 85,000 students at 128 schools.
•The District's student population has grown by six percent over the past five years, and our Economically Disadvantaged student population has – more... grown by 15 percent, and represents 61.3 percent of all students. Our English Language Learner population has grown by 35 percent over the past five years, and now comprises 29 percent of our student population. We've also seen a 14 percent growth in our Hispanic students, a 10 percent decrease in our African American population, and a 5 percent drop in our White student numbers.
•The District also supports families that represent more than 94 languages, and we teach seven languages other than English in our schools, including Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and American Sign Language. – less
Enjoyable atmosphere enabling me to better assist the local community.
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 11, 2014
A typical work day requires lesson planning and then implementing that plan during class hours. It requires adapting as the class progresses in order to better help the students absorb and use English in a practical manner to help improve their lives.
AISD
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TexasFebruary 22, 2014
Monetary compensation not equitable to work input, but seeing the smiles in the children definitely makes it all worth it.
Just started Subbing
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2014
so far so good! But it would be better if we were paid every two weeks, not every month.
Education
Educator (Current Employee), TexasFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: helping children
I take pride in the fact that I work to help children each and every day.
Attendance Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: free food is very common.
Cons: no breaks.
Some days can be crazy and others really quite. For the most part the staff are super nice. Hardest part of the job is dealing with upset customers (parents).
Fun and rewarding place to work
After school care worker (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2014
Working in after school care for AISD has been fun and rewarding. It has lost of challenges and very understanding supervisors and leaders with lots of chances for advancement.
Austin Independent School District
Custodian 1 (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 27, 2013
Pros: no free anything from the school district.
Cons: management didnt want empolyees to take breaks.
Management were very horrible , very rude at times. No teamwork skills, co-workers were scared of management to talk to head management . Afraid of losing their jobs. This is only in the position I worked in while there at Austin Independent School District. (Custodian 1)
Career Stepping Stone
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 27, 2013
Get a few years in, get your professional development, then get out.
Opportunity to positively affect young lives
Counselor (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2013
As a school counselor, I enjoy working with students each day, helping to guide their decisions in their life choices.
School District
Temp Hourly Child Care/Summer Camp Worker (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 6, 2013
Standard school district work. Again, not professional of me to talk about past/current employers in this capacity.
productive work place
Bus Driver (Former Employee), austin, TXJuly 13, 2013
Pros: driving everyday
Cons: it is only part-time
enjoy keeping busy, with the checking of bus everyday, maintain work logs, seeing fellow workers,.
Micro-managed by the administration but wonderful co-workers.
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee), Austin, TexasJuly 9, 2013
Pros: steady paycheck, good insurance benefits
Cons: not enough time during the work day to do all the things that were expected us
A typical day was often started at 7am and work came home with me in the evenings. I learned that maintaining a healthy balance between work and home is important. The administration was very involved in what happened in the classroom, to the point of micro-managing each teacher. My co-workers were supportive and encouraging to each other. The hardest – more... part of the job was reaching those challenging students who did not want to be there. The most enjoyable part was seeing the growth and improvement in my students. – less