Austin Independent School District Employee Reviews

Productive and causal work environment
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2017
Pick up and drop off at home or residential bus stop. Explain safety procedures to children and any chaperones. The culture is diverse. The enjoyable parts of this job is providing a safe environment for each child.
Pros
Paid Hoildays
Two different positions for Austin
Interim Principal, Crockett High School (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 4, 2017
I was an acting interim Principal for Crockett High School for one year and then worked a a Professional Development Director for one year. I enjoyed both positions and enjoyed the variety of educators that I worked with and supervised.
Pros
The quality of programs
Cons
Leaving to return to St louis
Great staff with organized campuses
3rd Base Coach - After school program (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 4, 2017
I loved the people i worked with along with the organization of the campuses. The schedules were fluid and made the job that much more fun. The interaction between parents was always supported and clear.
Working at AISD
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 27, 2017
As with any place, there are good and bad things about AISD. The pay isn't so good, but they do pay into social security. They offer a lot of trainings when you first get there. The trainings are less relevent as you stay there through the years.
Good place to work for a summer/starter job.
Sudent Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2017
The place where I worked required a very physically active person, as there were many tasks that often had you standing or walking most of the day. It was a lot of fun working with the kids and getting to help teach them things, but it can certainly be very wearing after a time. This job is a high energy job, and it showed.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
Very physically demanding
Student
Curriculum Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2017
The school district has student behavioral problems, the administration will keep very disruptive student in class with out following up on behavior with consequences for action.
Reading Coach/Special Education teacher/Bilingual teacher
Dual Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2017
I taught for AISD for 32 years and the only reason I left was to go into the university level. Austin has always been a great place to learn new pedagogy and move up in your career. They paid for my bilingual certification and sent me to many trainings. The only problem I had was with a specific principal, but the AISD was very fair. I missed AISD and went back, now I am trying to get back in.
Pros
Teacher, Coach, Instructional reading specialist/special education
Cons
Particular principal
It's a school job
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2017
Austin ISD is a struggling school district trying to keep afloat in a changing city. If you want to work here, be prepared to deal with big city problems.
Pros
The faculty really care about the students
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
Great District
Mathematics Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2017
The school I worked for was great. They were very organized in their after school program. I felt the school really cared for the safety and education of their kids.
Good job for new grad
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2017
Substitute teaching is hard- no matter the school district. Austin Independent School District pays well, but your experience will vary greatly depending on the school you work at.
Teachers are Special
Secondary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 5, 2017
Teaching is very rewarding. Constant supervision of young adults. Can be a whirlwind but very satisfying. Watching my students grow and mature is priceless.
Pros
School Hours and Vacation Days
Cons
Teaching is multitasking and emotionally draining at times
Professional, Charismatic, Leader, bilingual.
Austin, Bilingual-Clerk IV (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 27, 2017
I am very happy with my current job at Austin Independent School District, but I am looking for an extra income. I am a hard worker, responsible person, with a positive attitude, dependable with a strong work ethics, very trust-able. .
Great school district!
Family and Consumer Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2017
Loved this district! I had wonderful administrators and great students. I really grew as a teacher and learned a lot because of the amazing support system.
Fun place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2017
I like transporting students. Driving a school bus is challenging but rewarding. The kids are so much fun to talk to and interact with on a daily basis.
Good place to Work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2017
I was only a substitute for Austin ISD. It was interesting to see the different schools and how they worked. The district did a good job of training people for the substitute positions, and the individual schools had helpful staff.
Instructional Math Coach
Curriculum Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
Fast paced, deadlines, multi tasking, supporting personnel, reviewing student success and projecting instructional procedures for current and previous goals, ordering materials within budget, disseminating information and on going follow ups with management.
Great Benefits
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2017
The School district offers a competitive salary and benefits package and the campus community creates a sense of family and there are multiple resources available to support teachers and staff throughout the district.
Love the Kids - not so fond of resources
Middle School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2017
Teaching middle school kids is challenging. Teaching middle school kids in low income neighborhoods in Austin Independent School District is really challenging.
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
Curriculum resources are weak - sucks to reinvent the wheel
10 years with AISD
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2017
My first few years at AISD were my best. I was surrounded by people that worked hard for the students and believed in the goal for AISD. The last few years were not as enjoyable. AISD has lost a lot of the seasoned employees over time and that resource has been detrimental to many programs within AISD.
Pros
Many Learning opportunities
Cons
Poor management skills and management changes happen often
Great place to work and make a difference
Mathematics Instructor & Online Course Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2017
I especially enjoyed working with teaching staff and the high school students to implement learning plans and remedial assignments.

I also gained experience in developing components for online learning courses within the Moodle courseware framework.

The workplace culture was light hearted but serious when it came to results oriented education.
Pros
Working with incredible students
Cons
short days