Austin Independent School District Employee Reviews

Great School District
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 11, 2016
As a substitute teacher, it is hard to relate to a lot of the students because we only have a short period of time with them. We don't know all the classroom procedures necessarily or student's tendencies. It is kind of fun going with the flow and teaching them something for the day. Then we move on to the next set of classes. I am always learning about different classroom dynamic, which helps me be a better teacher. Plus, I really enjoy networking and hoping a long-term sub job or full-time position will open for me.
I grew up in Austin going to the public schools. I always loved my teachers and the fine arts programs. I would like to give back to my community the same way they gave to me.
A great job working with children during school hours.
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 2, 2016
The substitute teacher assumes the role of the teacher when they are absent. Following lesson plans and ensuring children are safe and monitoring classroom behavior are the primary responsibilities. I really enjoy substitute teaching and working with children. I have learned that I can manage a class of children. The other teachers are very supportive and helpful. The hardest part is dealing with behavior issues. Watching children get excited about learning is the most enjoyable part of this job!
Pros
Family friendly work hours
Cons
Short breaks
It's a job
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2016
It's a job. The pay is not terrible, but the hours can be really bad.
Upper management does not seem to care about how things really work, so decisions are made that do not take all the facts into account, like how much work a new program will really take to get started. Immediate management is ok. but there is a lot of weird seniority stuff that gets happened.
There is not encouragement to succeed because there are no merit raises. People have worked there for years that are really good at their jobs, and some that are really bad at their jobs.
Pros
Pay is ok and it is really hard to get fired.
Cons
No raises. Too much work.
Great Authentic Experience
Reading Intervention Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 12, 2016
WOW! THE STAFF. Such an amazing opportunity for growth and reflection. First-class staff and management. Great advice and professional skill sets that match tech fields. What was the general feeling? Proud to be a teacher. The experience was awesome, an eloquent and enlightening cultural and academic environment.
Pros
growth
Learning work environment in Purchasing
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2016
Work on purchase requisitions, answer and transfer phone calls, edit and approve time sheets for several departments, work on calendar for director.
Hardest part of the job is not attending to everybody's request within the day.
Enjoyable part of the job is interacting with many staff and helping with their request.
Pros
time entry, lunch hours, flexability
Cons
need better health insurance
Busy Atmosphere
PPCD Teacher, Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2016
Working with AISD was one of the best experiences I have had in the educational field. As a special education teacher with the district, my day was typically very busy. Between creating lesson plans, and completing paperwork, I worked 50-70 hours a week. Some campuses have really amazing and supportive administration, and others seem to be lacking in that area. Overall, I loved my co-workers and the students and parents that i worked with.
Great place to work, compensation could be better
Programmer Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2016
It's a great place to work and everyone is focused on making sure the students of the Austin area are put in a situation to succeed. Since it is a school district the pay is lower than the private sector but employees pay into the teacher retirement system which is as close to a pension as you'll get these days.
Bus Driver
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2016
Pre-Trip my bus, make sure my bus is ready to safely transport students to school and home. Complete daily and pre-trip/field trip documents. Keep constant communication with supervisors, dispatch, students and parents. Ive learned to be patient and very cautious on the road.The hardest part about my job is knowing what to do in case of an emergency. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with kids. Special needs and regular students.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
There is no room to grow
Teacher
Consuelo Mendez Middle School Life Skills teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin,TXJune 20, 2016
I learned to keep things short and sweet. Save everything in an email. Never gossip or listen to gossip. Managing adults is worse the managing special needs kids. Writing 14 IEP's was difficult in finding time
Aisd
5th Grade ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2016
The school district covers a wide area of the Austin metropolitan area and does a great job of writing curriculum that shows value in the rich resources Austin has to offer.
Great staff and school personnel.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2016
Great place to work. Once teachers become familiar with your work, they request you for their class. Teachers in "the community" were always willing to assist when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the students.
Pros
Freedom to choose schools of choice.
Cons
There are no benefits or assignments for the summer months.
Austin Independent School District
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 19, 2015
Fantastic work life balance, pay is not great, lack of communication and direction is bad. Feels as though you are not doing much to improve, you show up and leave and that seems to be the mentality.
Pros
Work Life Balance is great
Cons
Lack of direction/instruction, Pay is not great for what you have to do.
Very Flexible
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78704June 8, 2016
The school district supports to further your education at 100%. It is a good environment to work. Get to know the children and go to new places.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
weather
Professional and Supportive
6th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2015
I enjoyed working for AISD. As a matter of fact, I just submitted my application to them yesterday, as I'm returning home after ten years of teaching in a small village in NM. I had excellent support and mentoring during my student teaching experience and my first year of teaching. I liked that they had a set curriculum in which I could still inject my own creativity. The support I had with discipline problems was prompt and effective. Overall, AISD is a great place to work.
Pros
excellent support and training, praise given when due, modeling and mentoring
Cons
none I can think of
Teacher
Educator/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2016
There is was plenty of opportunity to move up in the district. However, it is a very large district which can lead to conflict information about priorities and expectations.
Austin ISD
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 4, 2015
Austin ISD provides many opportunities to help children grow educationally. Austin ISD has a variety of positions available to allow an individual to find a job that works toward their interests. They have excellent health benefits and provide a high number of personal and sick days. Additonally, teachers are provided a long summer break which can be helpful for those with families or who enjoy travel.
Pros
Great health benefits, quantity of personal and sick day
Cons
Advacement is not easy
Fun working with younger kids, and a greet teaching staff to work with
Bilingual Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2015
I was a substitute teacher, a typical day was getting an assignment the night before and reporting to the school the next morning. I gathered all my teaching materials and lesson plans and implemented them to the students. I learned time management and how to handle groups of students from 23 up to 32 per class. My co-works were very supportive. The hardest part of the job was always having to bring work home with you. The enjoyable part was teaching and spending time with the students.
Pros
Having the weekends and holidays off
Cons
Having to report to a different school almost everday.
AISD is a great district depending on the school you end up working in.
ESL- 1st Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2015
A typical work day is productive, stressful and rewarding. As a teacher, you need to be organize and have lessons well planned out before hand. My administrative team gave me great feedback and I followed suite by finding research through colliagate resources as well as attending district PD to improve my pedegody.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Long hours into your personal life, lesson planning takes hours/days to perfect, state test deadlines exhausting even for primary.
Generally a good district to work for.
Teen Parent Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2016
I work for Community Education in AISD. This department supports the social service needs of the students. I enjoy my job and working for AISD.
high pressure serious atmosphere
Digital Media Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2013
A typical day at work is getting in at 7 a.m. to prep for day. Teach classes to 9-12th graders. Attend various meetings, do all government mandated paperwork. Co-workers very hardworking and sincere. Little interactivity with them as the non-paperwork focus was on students. The hardest part was the the sheer amount of bureaucratic paperwork required on top of teaching workload. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students.
Pros
time off during summer, benefits
Cons
answering to local management (school adminstration), school district admin and state and federal agencies.

Austin Independent School District Reviews by Location