Austin Independent School District

Austin Independent School District Employer Reviews

Great Opportunity, but bad compensation.
Tutor/Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: great learning environment, and experience builder
Cons: no compensation for time off
I work at Austin Independent School District as a mathematics tutor. A.I.S.D. is a great place to build experience, and obtain a broad skill set.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
love to work with kids and have all the holidays and weekend off.
substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 24, 2014
Pros: breath of fresh air. something new everyday.
Cons: none if your love what you do!
Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and to communicate these objectives to students, as adopted by the local and state Board of Education.
Reports to the building principal or school secretary upon arrival at the school.
Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned.
Teaches lesson plan as outlined by the absent teacher.
Performs all extra duties for the absent teacher as required by the building principal.
Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation, pertaining to teacher and students.
Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
Many resources; difficult to access due to time constraints.
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 3, 2014
Autonomy; collaboration with teachers, specialists. Significant amount of paperwork.
I like my job
Substitute teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 6, 2014
Pros: acquiring teaching experience
Cons: no connection with the sudents and students do not see us as their regular teacher, therefore we get little respect from them.
It is an opportunity for me to learn what happens in the classroom.
Challenging teaching environment
Elementary School Second Grade ESL Teacher (Current Employee), Austin,TXJuly 29, 2014
Pros: fellow teachers
Cons: few breaks and the inability to talk to adults.
Meeting and working with "good people" who work very hard to succeed.
A very large district with conflicting priorities
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: summer vacation
Cons: unclear expectations and conflicting demands
I enjoyed my time teaching at Austin ISD but ultimately found that teaching wasn't the career path for me. The hours are very long, and I worked most weekends, however those hours were recuperated during the summer vacation.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the ever-changing priorities set in place by different departments in the district, including Dual Language, Early Childhood, various grants and campus policies.
Fun and supprotive staff!
Bilingual Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 11, 2014
I absolutely loved my job with AISD. Everyone was very helpful and supportive. The atmosphere is great and I woke up every morning happy to go into work.
I'm passionate about teaching. But, can't rely on the income.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TX.June 27, 2014
Pros: low income. job-insecurity.
Cons: i feel like i'm making a difference in people's lives. i really love teaching!
I love being an educator, I've worked in an instructional position, of some sort, for the past decade. My day involves multiple tasks; curriculum planning, physical activity, time-management, data entry (grades, disciplinary forms, etc.), presentation of materials, clear and concise communication with students, parents, administration, and co-workers, and maintaining a sense of humor, and a positive attitude.
It is heartbreaking to see someone who feels insignificant. And it frustrates me when people make excuses, instead figuring out solutions.
I have become a much better listener because of my work with youth. I also love feeling like I've positively impacted someone's life. I find great joy in problem-solving, and helping others achieve their goals.
great work environment but no advancement
High School Educator- James Bowie High School (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 24, 2014
Hard to advance within the industry. After 10-15 years you make a measly 4k more.
Job Culture was great and compensation, benefits package was good.
Attendance Clerk / Registrar (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 21, 2014
Pros: holidays, spring breaks, vacation time.
Cons: 30 minute lunches, sometimes no breaks because someone needed help.
I enjoyed working with people, especially the children. The days went by fast because I was always busy. I was always learning new things, regarding families and situations and how to assist. The most enjoyable part of the day was in the morning when the children were saying the morning pledge and announcements. The hardest part of the day was when everyone (teachers, parents, students, needed my help and their is only one of me). My co-workers were hard workers and we all enjoyed our jobs even when we complained to one and another. (life)
Political and budget issues at administrative level lead to stressful, overcrowded classrooms. Dedicated teachers/students make it a worthy endeavor.
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 19, 2014
There is way too much politics involved. Oftentimes, teachers (including myself) are not given the full support they need from administrators and upper management. Budget shortfalls (as a result of administrative mismanagement) are a daily issue within the classroom for both students and teachers. For example, teacher layoffs (or those moved from full to part-time) oftentimes leads to over-crowded classrooms, lower test scores, a more stressful classroom environment, increased student discipline problems for teachers, increased grading time at home, and a higher teacher to student ratio which can lead to many students not getting the quality or quantity instruction time they deserve. The above description, for many teachers at my school and across AISD, describes some of the many pitfalls that we encounter in a typical day of teaching. Mind you, the actual teaching and learning time I spend with my students is very rewarding and is the reason I became (and stayed) a teacher in the first place. The teachers I work (or have worked) with are for the most part a dedicated group of people who often go above and beyond their normal duties to ensure student academic and personnel success. It has been a privilege to work with this wonderful group of people over the last 9 years. In addition, seeing my students succeed not just academically, but in life as a whole, is the most rewarding part of my job.
Great Education
Childcare Worker (Current Employee), Austin TxApril 22, 2014
•AISD is a diverse, urban district that is making great progress in student academic achievement. AISD is the fifth largest school district in Texas, and serves approximately 85,000 students at 128 schools.
•The District's student population has grown by six percent over the past five years, and our Economically Disadvantaged student population has grown by 15 percent, and represents 61.3 percent of all students. Our English Language Learner population has grown by 35 percent over the past five years, and now comprises 29 percent of our student population. We've also seen a 14 percent growth in our Hispanic students, a 10 percent decrease in our African American population, and a 5 percent drop in our White student numbers.
•The District also supports families that represent more than 94 languages, and we teach seven languages other than English in our schools, including Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and American Sign Language.
Enjoyable atmosphere enabling me to better assist the local community.
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 11, 2014
A typical work day requires lesson planning and then implementing that plan during class hours. It requires adapting as the class progresses in order to better help the students absorb and use English in a practical manner to help improve their lives.
AISD
Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TexasFebruary 22, 2014
Monetary compensation not equitable to work input, but seeing the smiles in the children definitely makes it all worth it.
Just started Subbing
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2014
so far so good! But it would be better if we were paid every two weeks, not every month.
Education
Educator (Current Employee), TexasFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: helping children
I take pride in the fact that I work to help children each and every day.
Attendance Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: free food is very common.
Cons: no breaks.
Some days can be crazy and others really quite. For the most part the staff are super nice. Hardest part of the job is dealing with upset customers (parents).
Fun and rewarding place to work
After school care worker (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2014
Working in after school care for AISD has been fun and rewarding. It has lost of challenges and very understanding supervisors and leaders with lots of chances for advancement.
Austin Independent School District
Custodian 1 (Former Employee), Austin, TXNovember 27, 2013
Pros: no free anything from the school district.
Cons: management didnt want empolyees to take breaks.
Management were very horrible , very rude at times. No teamwork skills, co-workers were scared of management to talk to head management . Afraid of losing their jobs. This is only in the position I worked in while there at Austin Independent School District. (Custodian 1)

1 2 3