Austin Peay State University

Austin Peay State University Employer Reviews

Bad Management
Undergraduate Instructor (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNNovember 27, 2014
*I do not have "typical" work days
*I have learned to navigate diverse political settings
*The University has less than adequate management
*The majority of my co-workers are not savvy professionals
*Dealing with a work culture that is unsophisticated
*Working with students
Worst political nightmare of my life.
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the vile politics.
APSU
Computer Lab Assistant/Manager (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: quiet office
Assist users in the computer lab.
Repair computers
Management is Professors
Other students
Good place to Work, Great place to go to school
Professor's Assistant (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNAugust 1, 2014
I enjoyed having the opportunity to make a little money and not have to neglect my school work to do so.
Good Experience
Graduate Assistant - Department of Psychology (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNApril 1, 2014
I was a graduate assistant in the psychology department. I was the assistant to two professors. With respect to capacity, I was a teaching assistant for both, and a research assistant for one. My primary task was specifically coordinating undergraduate research in the psychology department.

Co-workers were friendly. Time management wasn't bad as professors – more... understood that there were class requirements. There was a lot of time to study as well.

I learned a plethora of things relevant to teaching, grading, research, analysis, management, to name a few.

I enjoyed the research aspect the most. – less
Fun Summer Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNOctober 28, 2013
Enjoyed working with all the kids. Played games and went swimming. Completed lots of arts and crafts. Coworkers worked hard and were fun to be around.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Social Work Intern TN State Legislature (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 25, 2013
Accepted all calls from constituents needing social services and connected them with local resources.
Researched and analyzed statistical information for proposed Bills and presented findings to House Representatives.
Spearheaded and conducted community outreach efforts for women and children living in local safe houses as victims of
Domestic Violence.
Great for students
Student Worker (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 11, 2013
Pros: everything
This job was great for me when I lived on campus. I became very close with everyone in the office and felt welcomed from the start. Interacting with other students and their problems helped me overcome some of mine.
Education studies for BSN
Nursing Student (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 9, 2013
Clinical skills, patient care and advancing education are essential.
Provides an education
Student (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 20, 2013
Pros: earning education
Cons: mismanaged
Provides an education to better my life. Is a divers school and has provided me with the tools to advance my career.
Graduate Assistant / HHP Department (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 11, 2013
The professors at APSU are great to work with. Teaching undergraduate students about being physically fit is a wonderful job.
Challengeing job
Director of Facilities Planning & Capital Projects (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 10, 2013
Pros: good benefits, opportunities, and good living environment for those that like a small town environment.
Cons: management styles within the academic community may not be acceptable, for professionals from outside academia.
APSU is an excellent school with many first rate facilities. There is a significant learning curve for those that have never worked in education and many of the "common practices" of industry are not considered acceptable to the academic environment.
Terrible management; high turn over rate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville tnMay 23, 2013
Pros: getting to meet new people
Cons: too many non paid hours, favoritism, poor management
You get paid minimum wage at 13 hours a week for at least 20 hours worth of work. Management constantly was in my personal life. I was called for lock outs and minor non emergency issues during class when I was off the clock. People were fired and quitting constantly. The amount of programs and meetings and committee meetings was too much then we were – more... made to volunteer more time for football/basketball functions, family weekend, etc. I am glad that this was my last year. – less
Ensure the residents were safe and educated with the living options and programs.
Resident Housing Director (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMay 7, 2013
Pros: able to work with many different cultures.
Cons: some people adamant not to follow the rules and did not want the consequence.
Ensure campus rules are followed in order for the residents to be safe. Develop programs that fit the multi-cultural needs of the campus residents. Be available to the residents and staff as needed. Walk the grounds of the resident’s hall to ensure the facility is secure and no damages to report. Attend programs that are being presented for the residents. – more... Weekly staff meetings, to ensure the staff is aware of the needs of the residents and building maintenance, along with any updates on programs, training, etc. On call for the campus and respond if needed. – less
Fun!
Strength and Conditioning Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNMarch 18, 2013
I have met some great people at the Foy University Rec. They are constantly teaching everyone new things and keeping things exciting.
fun exciting work place!
I love working at APSU. The people are always friendly and energetic. Everyone gets along, and works hard together.
Loved This Position
Student Worker (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMarch 17, 2013
Pros: i could do homework when not busy.
I was working as a Student Worker during my college education and this job made it so easy to get work done for school and still do my job.
Loved This Position
Student Worker (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMarch 17, 2013
Pros: i could do homework when not busy.
Teacher's Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 31, 2013
A typical work day lasted for about an hour and a half helping other students with the basics in geology, rock and mineral identification and use of maps. I learned basic techiques in relaying information. The best part was interacting with other students.
A wonderful work and learning experience.
Specialist, Community and Business Relations (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 27, 2013
This was a wonderful work and learning experience. The office was a small office with limited management and offered a great deal of independence. I gained extensive experience in event planning while working at this job.