Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and flexible
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMay 11, 2016
I love being a Office Assistant. My day was basically helping students get in to college, Answering phones, Taking messages, Making Appointments, Emailing, filing paperwork and data entry. I Learned how run a office and do clerical work. Management was great, they love to help you learn new things. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of this job was leaving.
Pros
Hour breaks, Friendly
Cons
More Hours and more permant positions.
Fun and Fullfilling
Geology Lab Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2016
I loved working at my university and helping the physical geology class students learn. I never really doubted my self because I had already taken the class and several higher course classes.
I enjoyed every professor I assisted.
Some of the students you had to keep a close eye on but for the most part I loved the job.
Pros
Fun job, co-workers, right down the hall from classes
Cons
Hours were short
Great place for work and education!
Senior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2016
Working for the university allows for interaction with individuals from various walks of life. Management is great and flexible by working with those who have families as well as those who are trying to further their education.
Pros
No time monitoring
Cons
Hard to advance in particular areas
Flexible position for students to sharpen their skills and avoid debt
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 10, 2016
Excellent supervisors. Stressful days occasionally when the tutoring lab was packed. Friendly co-workers, flexible hours. Difficult sometimes to teach certain individuals, but enjoyable having those "Ah ha!" moments.
Pros
Flexibility, Contacts, Skill refreshers
Cons
Public can be stressful
Great place to work. Loved every bit of it.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 7, 2016
Day would consist of going to class with the students and helping the professor with things like passing out papers and such. After the class was over, I would run a recitation type class where students either worked on classwork that they were having trouble with or the online portion of homework that was assigned along with the class. The professors I worked with and other SLA leaders were great, and my boss was the best. He was always there to help out with any questions I had.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Nice professors and boss
productive
Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 29, 2016
being productive and critical thinking. confidentiality plays a big role working with both students and veterans. broadens your horizon to the things that are happening around you that most people are unaware of.
Good
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 22, 2016
I had a great time working as a lab manager and being able to help and provide help for students and faculty. I really miss working there but it was a step for my career.
Great work/life balance
Admin Asst. III (Current Employee) –  Clarksville,TNJuly 8, 2015
While I enjoy my job at Austin Peay State University, it was never my intention to work in Higher Education. This university has been rated one of the top Tennessee schools to work at and has a great work/life balance.
Pros
Innovative and a caring cultrue
Cons
Take home pay. Not including benefits
Love
Processor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 18, 2016
Austin Peay is wonderful. The staff is kind and makes it feel like home. I love my supervisor and am treated with much respect.
Good work environment
Temporary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Loved working for APSU, but didn't get to stay longer as I was on a temporary contract. If I could have stayed longer I definitely would have, but maybe another opportunity will come along. Pay was good and the management was understanding and helpful whenever any issues arose.
Pros
Good pay, good managment
Cons
Temporary
very productive and relaxed environment
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 9, 2015
Each day brings new challenges and excitement. I enjoy working each day and the environment makes for productive work days.
Terrible management; high turn over rate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville tnMay 23, 2013
You get paid minimum wage at 13 hours a week for at least 20 hours worth of work. Management constantly was in my personal life. I was called for lock outs and minor non emergency issues during class when I was off the clock. People were fired and quitting constantly. The amount of programs and meetings and committee meetings was too much then we were made to volunteer more time for football/basketball functions, family weekend, etc. I am glad that this was my last year.
Pros
getting to meet new people
Cons
too many non paid hours, favoritism, poor management
Challengeing job
Director of Facilities Planning & Capital Projects (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 10, 2013
APSU is an excellent school with many first rate facilities. There is a significant learning curve for those that have never worked in education and many of the "common practices" of industry are not considered acceptable to the academic environment.
Pros
good benefits, opportunities, and good living environment for those that like a small town environment.
Cons
management styles within the academic community may not be acceptable, for professionals from outside academia.
Bad Management
Undergraduate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 27, 2014
*I do not have "typical" work days
*I have learned to navigate diverse political settings
*The University has less than adequate management
*The majority of my co-workers are not savvy professionals
*Dealing with a work culture that is unsophisticated
*Working with students
Simple tasks and activities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 18, 2015
This was your typical office job. Great hours, great pay, enjoyable work. The position was unfortunately temporary. I would love to accept another position similar to this one, but with much more stability.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
No job security
I got to help people, talk about things I'm interested in and get paid for it.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 24, 2015
Tutoring was a great experience. I got the opportunity to help students who were struggling, talk about engineering technology, and hone my ability to problem solve and communicate in a small team setting.
Pros
set my own hours, talked engineering technology, made connections with other students.
Cons
can't really make a career out of tutoring
Great Opportunity for Students
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 9, 2015
Great place to work. I would prefer to see some things changed, but of course, those opinions are mine and mine alone. APSU has run smoothly for a very long time without my input. We had a great team of RAs working at our complex.

I learned that it is best to make a suggestion for improvement and then move on than to belabor the issue and cause a problem.
Pros
Great Benefit package for student employees
Cons
Late night incedents could cause problems with classes
Ensure the residents were safe and educated with the living options and programs.
Resident Housing Director (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 7, 2013
Ensure campus rules are followed in order for the residents to be safe. Develop programs that fit the multi-cultural needs of the campus residents. Be available to the residents and staff as needed. Walk the grounds of the resident’s hall to ensure the facility is secure and no damages to report. Attend programs that are being presented for the residents. Weekly staff meetings, to ensure the staff is aware of the needs of the residents and building maintenance, along with any updates on programs, training, etc. On call for the campus and respond if needed.
Pros
able to work with many different cultures.
Cons
some people adamant not to follow the rules and did not want the consequence.
Good Experience
Graduate Assistant - Department of Psychology (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 1, 2014
I was a graduate assistant in the psychology department. I was the assistant to two professors. With respect to capacity, I was a teaching assistant for both, and a research assistant for one. My primary task was specifically coordinating undergraduate research in the psychology department.

Co-workers were friendly. Time management wasn't bad as professors understood that there were class requirements. There was a lot of time to study as well.

I learned a plethora of things relevant to teaching, grading, research, analysis, management, to name a few.

I enjoyed the research aspect the most.
Very fun!
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Awesome institution. Learned many clinical skills and how to care for patients using the nursing process. As a new graduate nurse, I know that the institution provided me with all of the basic nursing education to perform safe and adequate care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Peay State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3