Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews

Great place for work and education!
Senior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2016
Working for the university allows for interaction with individuals from various walks of life. Management is great and flexible by working with those who have families as well as those who are trying to further their education.
Pros
No time monitoring
Cons
Hard to advance in particular areas
Amazing
Student Life and Engagement (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 21, 2016
Student life and engagement was an amazing place to work. The staff who works there on a daily basis really makes you feel like you are part of a family within the work place.
Fun and flexible
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMay 11, 2016
I love being a Office Assistant. My day was basically helping students get in to college, Answering phones, Taking messages, Making Appointments, Emailing, filing paperwork and data entry. I Learned how run a office and do clerical work. Management was great, they love to help you learn new things. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of this job was leaving.
Pros
Hour breaks, Friendly
Cons
More Hours and more permant positions.
Fun and Fullfilling
Geology Lab Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2016
I loved working at my university and helping the physical geology class students learn. I never really doubted my self because I had already taken the class and several higher course classes.
I enjoyed every professor I assisted.
Some of the students you had to keep a close eye on but for the most part I loved the job.
Pros
Fun job, co-workers, right down the hall from classes
Cons
Hours were short
Student Worker
Member of Govs Programming Council August (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37040August 3, 2016
Most of my work at Austin Peay State University included running errands, and when I was not running errands I monitored the athlete's in the computer labs.
Great work/life balance
Admin Asst. III (Current Employee) –  Clarksville,TNJuly 8, 2015
While I enjoy my job at Austin Peay State University, it was never my intention to work in Higher Education. This university has been rated one of the top Tennessee schools to work at and has a great work/life balance.
Pros
Innovative and a caring cultrue
Cons
Take home pay. Not including benefits
Challengeing job
Director of Facilities Planning & Capital Projects (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 10, 2013
APSU is an excellent school with many first rate facilities. There is a significant learning curve for those that have never worked in education and many of the "common practices" of industry are not considered acceptable to the academic environment.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunities, and good living environment for those that like a small town environment.
Cons
Management styles within the academic community may not be acceptable, for professionals from outside academia.
Great coworkers and interesting work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 31, 2012
This was a great opportunity learn a little about different disciplines at the university. Though I was an English major, I learned quite a bit about Geo sciences, Computer Science, administration, as well as experience in technical writing, my own discipline.
A typical day's activities depended on what projects the GIS Center was taking on. At the beginning of my internship, I managed web content, posted blog entries to the website, or browsed search terms related to the GIS Center to help boost search relevance. Later in the internship, I began working with the mobile application the center developed. With two other coworkers, I helped write and design a Power Point and Microsoft Word document reviewing the benefits and changes to the mobile application.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part. Translating highly technical information about disaster mitigation and finer points of how the mobile application was designed and functions became a bit of a puzzle.
Pros
fun coworkers, helpful supervisors, rewarding and interesting writing
Cons
unpaid internship, but did count as a class credit
Good
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 22, 2016
I had a great time working as a lab manager and being able to help and provide help for students and faculty. I really miss working there but it was a step for my career.
productive
Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 29, 2016
being productive and critical thinking. confidentiality plays a big role working with both students and veterans. broadens your horizon to the things that are happening around you that most people are unaware of.
Flexible position for students to sharpen their skills and avoid debt
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 10, 2016
Excellent supervisors. Stressful days occasionally when the tutoring lab was packed. Friendly co-workers, flexible hours. Difficult sometimes to teach certain individuals, but enjoyable having those "Ah ha!" moments.
Pros
Flexibility, Contacts, Skill refreshers
Cons
Public can be stressful
Great place to work. Loved every bit of it.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 7, 2016
Day would consist of going to class with the students and helping the professor with things like passing out papers and such. After the class was over, I would run a recitation type class where students either worked on classwork that they were having trouble with or the online portion of homework that was assigned along with the class. The professors I worked with and other SLA leaders were great, and my boss was the best. He was always there to help out with any questions I had.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Nice professors and boss
Great place to be employed
Maintenance Lead Worker (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 5, 2012
I have enjoyed my employment at the university, it is a awsome place to work at and there is alot of great employees there to work with,
Pros
great benifits, and job
Cons
slow on displine action on some and more on others
Terrible management; high turn over rate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville tnMay 23, 2013
You get paid minimum wage at 13 hours a week for at least 20 hours worth of work. Management constantly was in my personal life. I was called for lock outs and minor non emergency issues during class when I was off the clock. People were fired and quitting constantly. The amount of programs and meetings and committee meetings was too much then we were made to volunteer more time for football/basketball functions, family weekend, etc. I am glad that this was my last year.
Pros
Getting to meet new people
Cons
Too many non paid hours, favoritism, poor management
Love
Processor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 18, 2016
Austin Peay is wonderful. The staff is kind and makes it feel like home. I love my supervisor and am treated with much respect.
Good Experience
Graduate Assistant - Department of Psychology (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 1, 2014
I was a graduate assistant in the psychology department. I was the assistant to two professors. With respect to capacity, I was a teaching assistant for both, and a research assistant for one. My primary task was specifically coordinating undergraduate research in the psychology department.

Co-workers were friendly. Time management wasn't bad as professors understood that there were class requirements. There was a lot of time to study as well.

I learned a plethora of things relevant to teaching, grading, research, analysis, management, to name a few.

I enjoyed the research aspect the most.
Ensure the residents were safe and educated with the living options and programs.
Resident Housing Director (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN May 7, 2013
Ensure campus rules are followed in order for the residents to be safe. Develop programs that fit the multi-cultural needs of the campus residents. Be available to the residents and staff as needed. Walk the grounds of the resident’s hall to ensure the facility is secure and no damages to report. Attend programs that are being presented for the residents. Weekly staff meetings, to ensure the staff is aware of the needs of the residents and building maintenance, along with any updates on programs, training, etc. On call for the campus and respond if needed.
Pros
Able to work with many different cultures.
Cons
Some people adamant not to follow the rules and did not want the consequence.
Good work environment
Temporary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Loved working for APSU, but didn't get to stay longer as I was on a temporary contract. If I could have stayed longer I definitely would have, but maybe another opportunity will come along. Pay was good and the management was understanding and helpful whenever any issues arose.
Pros
Good pay, good managment
Cons
Temporary
very productive and relaxed environment
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 9, 2015
Each day brings new challenges and excitement. I enjoy working each day and the environment makes for productive work days.
I got to help people, talk about things I'm interested in and get paid for it.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 24, 2015
Tutoring was a great experience. I got the opportunity to help students who were struggling, talk about engineering technology, and hone my ability to problem solve and communicate in a small team setting.
Pros
Set my own hours, talked engineering technology, made connections with other students.
Cons
Can't really make a career out of tutoring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Peay State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3