Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews

Excellent University
Emeritus Professor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 7, 2017
Excellent place to work. A good balance between administration and academics. Best kept secret in TN. I would recommend APSU to students and potential faculty.
Pros
Cons
No Cons
Positive and Fun Workplace
Senior Admissions Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 26, 2017
A typical day here at Austin Peay State University consists of me processing all documents for undergraduate and international students. Answer the phones and assist all students that walk in. I also process and receipt all application fees.
Comfortable Medium Campus
Co-editor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 1, 2017
APSU is a great medium-sized campus to be a student at and to work for. There are no benefits for student workers beside having a schedule that works around classes and school organizations. It is not the most culturally diverse place, but everyone is usually helpful and friendly.
Just a jaded Graduate Assistant
Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 10, 2017
Expectations were set higher than needed. I was expected to do 40 hours of work in 20 hours and was reprimanded for exceeding my hourly limit. The environment was incredibly cutthroat and nothing could be done to change the situation. Go somewhere else to get your master degree.
Fantastic
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 3, 2017
This educational establishment is incredible, both to attend and work for. The human resource department and cashier clerks offices are really on their game and super helpful, and happy!
Its a good place to work.
Department of Physics and Astronomy Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 24, 2017
The work for the physics department as a student worker isn't too difficult. Grading labs and tests comprises 90% of my work, the rest is odd jobs. 70 hours per semester isn't too difficult.
Office clerk
Office Clerk / Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37042April 24, 2017
I worked as an office clerk while attending the university. I feel that the university could offer better jobs to students but was glad to at least have the chance to get a small intermittent job.
Pros
income
Cons
not enough jobs
It's boring honestly.
FITNESS ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 19, 2017
The managers were not very hands-on and willing to teach their workers. They left all the training up to graduate assistants who are pretty decent people but they're still learning their way around like the average worker. The days didn't consist of much but cleaning and literally walking in circles but I couldn't complain about the job itself. It is simply the people working there that make the Foy, the recreation center where the fitness attendants are, not so great.
Great TA work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 11, 2017
My time at APSU was great. I worked with two professors as well as working in the writing center. While you're experience may vary, I found it to be a great place to work.
summary
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 5, 2017
APSU is a great school with great opportunities.Everyone is so nice and always willing to help. I love my school and I would recommend any one who is looking for diversity and growth to come here.
Work study
Administrative Assistant- helper (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 22, 2017
I come in to see if there are any tasks to be complete or errands (mail run) to be ran. I answer and direct phone calls to various nursing professors. I file, copy, email, scan and fax important documents between offices. The job itself is overall a benefit to my college lifestyle.
typical day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 13, 2017
Most of the work was welcoming students and parents. Answering questions and concerns they may have had about financial aid. I learned a lot about computer programming while there but interested in day to day activities of a company.
Great place to work.... in academia
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 12, 2017
The university is a nice place to work, but the bureaucracy is continually expanding and, as is true with all higher education, the nature of the job is changing. Students are becoming customers and the job of encouraging critical thinking skills is being supplanted with vocational skills. Professional schools such as education, nursing, and business are economic motivators pushing aside questions of why and with what consequences. Overall it is a great place to work, but unfortunately society undervalues the skills it enables.
Pros
ability to help others
Cons
lack of recognition by outsiders
good work place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37044March 6, 2017
every day was different. some days it was crowd control and others it was controlling parking problem. There was always the safety of students as the top priority.
APSU Baseball/Grounds Keeping Duties
Raymond C. Hand Park (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 27, 2017
Working for the baseball team at Austin Peay has been a great learning experience. I have learned a great deal about how an organization works and how everyone has a role of importance no matter who you are or what you do.

For example, I myself, take care and take an enormous pride in the way the field looks and how well the surface plays. Its importance is huge when it comes to the outcome of games, the attitude of the player and staff and can be a determinate of whether or not a recruit comes to Austin Peay or not.
A culture of mediocrity and limited resources
Linebackers' Coach (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 23, 2017
At Austin Peay I was charged with the task of turning a perennial loser into a respectable program with very limited resources and a support staff that was unwilling to put forth effort and think outside of the box to create better results. In my three years there we had three athletic directors which contributed to the lack of direction within the department.
Increasingly demanding job with too little pay.
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This campus has continued to grow exponentially over the past 10 years. If you work in an areas that directly works with the students you probably have a good position. However, if you have a position that is not directly working with students you are probably understaffed and grossly underpaid. Such was the situation I found myself for the almost nine years of employment in management. The job became more and more demanding and there was no additional staffing given to handle the extra demands or resources of any kind. We were told by the new president that the goal was going to be to double our student population again and those departments who directly worked with the students would see additional funding and resources. However, those of us who indirectly supported the campus were just tough out of luck as we labored away at our same old jobs having more work and no additional pay or resources given to us. I was on this job for nearly 5 years before I even got my first .25 cent raise. I was told such is the life in a State institution. While you watch management and Professors get thousands added to their payroll, or you see others get declassed into a new position just so they can get a higher salary, including your on bosses to the tune of $10,000 and $20,000 more per year.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Pay sucks, compared to work expected.
College Job working for the school.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This job was just a few hours a week working in the lab for the department. Great experience, great people, would mostly depend on the department you work for.
Amazing
Student Life and Engagement (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 21, 2016
Student life and engagement was an amazing place to work. The staff who works there on a daily basis really makes you feel like you are part of a family within the work place.
Student Worker
Member of Govs Programming Council August (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37040August 3, 2016
Most of my work at Austin Peay State University included running errands, and when I was not running errands I monitored the athlete's in the computer labs.