Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews

Work study
Administrative Assistant- helper (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 22, 2017
I come in to see if there are any tasks to be complete or errands (mail run) to be ran. I answer and direct phone calls to various nursing professors. I file, copy, email, scan and fax important documents between offices. The job itself is overall a benefit to my college lifestyle.
typical day at work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 13, 2017
Most of the work was welcoming students and parents. Answering questions and concerns they may have had about financial aid. I learned a lot about computer programming while there but interested in day to day activities of a company.
Great place to work.... in academia
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 12, 2017
The university is a nice place to work, but the bureaucracy is continually expanding and, as is true with all higher education, the nature of the job is changing. Students are becoming customers and the job of encouraging critical thinking skills is being supplanted with vocational skills. Professional schools such as education, nursing, and business are economic motivators pushing aside questions of why and with what consequences. Overall it is a great place to work, but unfortunately society undervalues the skills it enables.
Pros
ability to help others
Cons
lack of recognition by outsiders
good work place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37044March 6, 2017
every day was different. some days it was crowd control and others it was controlling parking problem. There was always the safety of students as the top priority.
APSU Baseball/Grounds Keeping Duties
Raymond C. Hand Park (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 27, 2017
Working for the baseball team at Austin Peay has been a great learning experience. I have learned a great deal about how an organization works and how everyone has a role of importance no matter who you are or what you do.

For example, I myself, take care and take an enormous pride in the way the field looks and how well the surface plays. Its importance is huge when it comes to the outcome of games, the attitude of the player and staff and can be a determinate of whether or not a recruit comes to Austin Peay or not.
A culture of mediocrity and limited resources
Linebackers' Coach (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 23, 2017
At Austin Peay I was charged with the task of turning a perennial loser into a respectable program with very limited resources and a support staff that was unwilling to put forth effort and think outside of the box to create better results. In my three years there we had three athletic directors which contributed to the lack of direction within the department.
Increasingly demanding job with too little pay.
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This campus has continued to grow exponentially over the past 10 years. If you work in an areas that directly works with the students you probably have a good position. However, if you have a position that is not directly working with students you are probably understaffed and grossly underpaid. Such was the situation I found myself for the almost nine years of employment in management. The job became more and more demanding and there was no additional staffing given to handle the extra demands or resources of any kind. We were told by the new president that the goal was going to be to double our student population again and those departments who directly worked with the students would see additional funding and resources. However, those of us who indirectly supported the campus were just tough out of luck as we labored away at our same old jobs having more work and no additional pay or resources given to us. I was on this job for nearly 5 years before I even got my first .25 cent raise. I was told such is the life in a State institution. While you watch management and Professors get thousands added to their payroll, or you see others get declassed into a new position just so they can get a higher salary, including your on bosses to the tune of $10,000 and $20,000 more per year.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Pay sucks, compared to work expected.
College Job working for the school.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This job was just a few hours a week working in the lab for the department. Great experience, great people, would mostly depend on the department you work for.
Amazing
Student Life and Engagement (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 21, 2016
Student life and engagement was an amazing place to work. The staff who works there on a daily basis really makes you feel like you are part of a family within the work place.
Student Worker
Member of Govs Programming Council August (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37040August 3, 2016
Most of my work at Austin Peay State University included running errands, and when I was not running errands I monitored the athlete's in the computer labs.
Great place for work and education!
Senior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2016
Working for the university allows for interaction with individuals from various walks of life. Management is great and flexible by working with those who have families as well as those who are trying to further their education.
Pros
No time monitoring
Cons
Hard to advance in particular areas
Fun and Fullfilling
Geology Lab Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2016
I loved working at my university and helping the physical geology class students learn. I never really doubted my self because I had already taken the class and several higher course classes.
I enjoyed every professor I assisted.
Some of the students you had to keep a close eye on but for the most part I loved the job.
Pros
Fun job, co-workers, right down the hall from classes
Cons
Hours were short
productive
Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 29, 2016
being productive and critical thinking. confidentiality plays a big role working with both students and veterans. broadens your horizon to the things that are happening around you that most people are unaware of.
Fun and flexible
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMay 11, 2016
I love being a Office Assistant. My day was basically helping students get in to college, Answering phones, Taking messages, Making Appointments, Emailing, filing paperwork and data entry. I Learned how run a office and do clerical work. Management was great, they love to help you learn new things. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of this job was leaving.
Pros
Hour breaks, Friendly
Cons
More Hours and more permant positions.
Good
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 22, 2016
I had a great time working as a lab manager and being able to help and provide help for students and faculty. I really miss working there but it was a step for my career.
Flexible position for students to sharpen their skills and avoid debt
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 10, 2016
Excellent supervisors. Stressful days occasionally when the tutoring lab was packed. Friendly co-workers, flexible hours. Difficult sometimes to teach certain individuals, but enjoyable having those "Ah ha!" moments.
Pros
Flexibility, Contacts, Skill refreshers
Cons
Public can be stressful
Love
Processor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 18, 2016
Austin Peay is wonderful. The staff is kind and makes it feel like home. I love my supervisor and am treated with much respect.
Great place to work. Loved every bit of it.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 7, 2016
Day would consist of going to class with the students and helping the professor with things like passing out papers and such. After the class was over, I would run a recitation type class where students either worked on classwork that they were having trouble with or the online portion of homework that was assigned along with the class. The professors I worked with and other SLA leaders were great, and my boss was the best. He was always there to help out with any questions I had.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Nice professors and boss
very productive and relaxed environment
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 9, 2015
Each day brings new challenges and excitement. I enjoy working each day and the environment makes for productive work days.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 17, 2015
Interesting place to work. Lots of opportunity for experience. Fun coworkers. I learned a lot but this job will vary from department to department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austin Peay State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2