Austin Peay State University

Austin Peay State University United States Employee Reviews

Productive work place
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNApril 13, 2015
I love Austin Peay. It gave me opportunity to improve my customer service. They also gave me an opportunity to work with wonderful people.
I got to help people, talk about things I'm interested in and get paid for it.
Tutor (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: set my own hours, talked engineering technology, made connections with other students.
Cons: can't really make a career out of tutoring
Tutoring was a great experience. I got the opportunity to help students who were struggling, talk about engineering technology, and hone my ability to problem solve and communicate in a small team setting.
Very nice place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNFebruary 23, 2015
Austin Peay is a beautiful campus to work at and full of friendly people. As a job I would say it is better than most places due to the friendly management.
Great Experience
Tennis Instructor (Current Employee), Austin Peay State UniversityFebruary 17, 2015
3 to 4 h tennis lessons a day with players of any group age. I was supervised by my head coach. In general great experience and a joyful job.
An enjoyable work environment many learning opportunities.
Writing Tutor (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2015
I have worked as a writing tutor for the Academic Support Center at Austin Peay State University for two years and have found that the Academic Support Center grants its employees the opportunity to practice more than simple tutoring and editing of writing styles. During my employment, I have learned to use different computer programs as well as to adopt various teaching styles for classroom environments in order to progress through obstacle my position presents. Furthermore, working for the Academic Support Center has made me more confident in teaching others as well as in my technical writing skills.
Great Atmosphere and Professors
Student (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 12, 2015
The experience I had was very positive. The professors were so willing to help when it was needed. They went above and beyond to make sure the students understood what was expected of them and when assignments and projects were due.
Worked part time while pursuing my degree.
Student Aide (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNDecember 15, 2014
Worked closely with coworkers while keeping up with my class studies.
Bad Management
Undergraduate Instructor (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNNovember 27, 2014
*I do not have "typical" work days
*I have learned to navigate diverse political settings
*The University has less than adequate management
*The majority of my co-workers are not savvy professionals
*Dealing with a work culture that is unsophisticated
*Working with students
Worst political nightmare of my life.
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNSeptember 26, 2014
The hardest part of the job is dealing with all of the vile politics.
APSU
Computer Lab Assistant/Manager (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: quiet office
Assist users in the computer lab.
Repair computers
Management is Professors
Other students
Good Experience
Graduate Assistant - Department of Psychology (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNApril 1, 2014
I was a graduate assistant in the psychology department. I was the assistant to two professors. With respect to capacity, I was a teaching assistant for both, and a research assistant for one. My primary task was specifically coordinating undergraduate research in the psychology department.

Co-workers were friendly. Time management wasn't bad as professors understood that there were class requirements. There was a lot of time to study as well.

I learned a plethora of things relevant to teaching, grading, research, analysis, management, to name a few.

I enjoyed the research aspect the most.
Fun Summer Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNOctober 28, 2013
Enjoyed working with all the kids. Played games and went swimming. Completed lots of arts and crafts. Coworkers worked hard and were fun to be around.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Social Work Intern TN State Legislature (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 25, 2013
Accepted all calls from constituents needing social services and connected them with local resources.
Researched and analyzed statistical information for proposed Bills and presented findings to House Representatives.
Spearheaded and conducted community outreach efforts for women and children living in local safe houses as victims of
Domestic Violence.
Great for students
Student Worker (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 11, 2013
Pros: everything
This job was great for me when I lived on campus. I became very close with everyone in the office and felt welcomed from the start. Interacting with other students and their problems helped me overcome some of mine.
Education studies for BSN
Nursing Student (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 9, 2013
Clinical skills, patient care and advancing education are essential.
Provides an education
Student (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 20, 2013
Pros: earning education
Cons: mismanaged
Provides an education to better my life. Is a divers school and has provided me with the tools to advance my career.
Graduate Assistant / HHP Department (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 11, 2013
The professors at APSU are great to work with. Teaching undergraduate students about being physically fit is a wonderful job.
Challengeing job
Director of Facilities Planning & Capital Projects (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 10, 2013
Pros: good benefits, opportunities, and good living environment for those that like a small town environment.
Cons: management styles within the academic community may not be acceptable, for professionals from outside academia.
APSU is an excellent school with many first rate facilities. There is a significant learning curve for those that have never worked in education and many of the "common practices" of industry are not considered acceptable to the academic environment.
Terrible management; high turn over rate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee), Clarksville tnMay 23, 2013
Pros: getting to meet new people
Cons: too many non paid hours, favoritism, poor management
You get paid minimum wage at 13 hours a week for at least 20 hours worth of work. Management constantly was in my personal life. I was called for lock outs and minor non emergency issues during class when I was off the clock. People were fired and quitting constantly. The amount of programs and meetings and committee meetings was too much then we were made to volunteer more time for football/basketball functions, family weekend, etc. I am glad that this was my last year.
Ensure the residents were safe and educated with the living options and programs.
Resident Housing Director (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMay 7, 2013
Pros: able to work with many different cultures.
Cons: some people adamant not to follow the rules and did not want the consequence.
Ensure campus rules are followed in order for the residents to be safe. Develop programs that fit the multi-cultural needs of the campus residents. Be available to the residents and staff as needed. Walk the grounds of the resident’s hall to ensure the facility is secure and no damages to report. Attend programs that are being presented for the residents. Weekly staff meetings, to ensure the staff is aware of the needs of the residents and building maintenance, along with any updates on programs, training, etc. On call for the campus and respond if needed.