Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews

Great coworkers and interesting work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 31, 2012
This was a great opportunity learn a little about different disciplines at the university. Though I was an English major, I learned quite a bit about Geo sciences, Computer Science, administration, as well as experience in technical writing, my own discipline.
A typical day's activities depended on what projects the GIS Center was taking on. At the beginning of my internship, I managed web content, posted blog entries to the website, or browsed search terms related to the GIS Center to help boost search relevance. Later in the internship, I began working with the mobile application the center developed. With two other coworkers, I helped write and design a Power Point and Microsoft Word document reviewing the benefits and changes to the mobile application.
The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable part. Translating highly technical information about disaster mitigation and finer points of how the mobile application was designed and functions became a bit of a puzzle.
Pros
fun coworkers, helpful supervisors, rewarding and interesting writing
Cons
unpaid internship, but did count as a class credit
Ensure the residents were safe and educated with the living options and programs.
Resident Housing Director (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 7, 2013
Ensure campus rules are followed in order for the residents to be safe. Develop programs that fit the multi-cultural needs of the campus residents. Be available to the residents and staff as needed. Walk the grounds of the resident’s hall to ensure the facility is secure and no damages to report. Attend programs that are being presented for the residents. Weekly staff meetings, to ensure the staff is aware of the needs of the residents and building maintenance, along with any updates on programs, training, etc. On call for the campus and respond if needed.
Pros
able to work with many different cultures.
Cons
some people adamant not to follow the rules and did not want the consequence.
An enjoyable work environment many learning opportunities.
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2015
I have worked as a writing tutor for the Academic Support Center at Austin Peay State University for two years and have found that the Academic Support Center grants its employees the opportunity to practice more than simple tutoring and editing of writing styles. During my employment, I have learned to use different computer programs as well as to adopt various teaching styles for classroom environments in order to progress through obstacle my position presents. Furthermore, working for the Academic Support Center has made me more confident in teaching others as well as in my technical writing skills.
Terrible management; high turn over rate
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville tnMay 23, 2013
You get paid minimum wage at 13 hours a week for at least 20 hours worth of work. Management constantly was in my personal life. I was called for lock outs and minor non emergency issues during class when I was off the clock. People were fired and quitting constantly. The amount of programs and meetings and committee meetings was too much then we were made to volunteer more time for football/basketball functions, family weekend, etc. I am glad that this was my last year.
Pros
getting to meet new people
Cons
too many non paid hours, favoritism, poor management
Great place to work. Loved every bit of it.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 7, 2016
Day would consist of going to class with the students and helping the professor with things like passing out papers and such. After the class was over, I would run a recitation type class where students either worked on classwork that they were having trouble with or the online portion of homework that was assigned along with the class. The professors I worked with and other SLA leaders were great, and my boss was the best. He was always there to help out with any questions I had.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Nice professors and boss
Challengeing job
Director of Facilities Planning & Capital Projects (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 10, 2013
APSU is an excellent school with many first rate facilities. There is a significant learning curve for those that have never worked in education and many of the "common practices" of industry are not considered acceptable to the academic environment.
Pros
good benefits, opportunities, and good living environment for those that like a small town environment.
Cons
management styles within the academic community may not be acceptable, for professionals from outside academia.
Great Opportunity for Students
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 9, 2015
Great place to work. I would prefer to see some things changed, but of course, those opinions are mine and mine alone. APSU has run smoothly for a very long time without my input. We had a great team of RAs working at our complex.

I learned that it is best to make a suggestion for improvement and then move on than to belabor the issue and cause a problem.
Pros
Great Benefit package for student employees
Cons
Late night incedents could cause problems with classes
Excellent place to learn and grow
Social Work Intern TN State Legislature (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 25, 2013
Accepted all calls from constituents needing social services and connected them with local resources.
Researched and analyzed statistical information for proposed Bills and presented findings to House Representatives.
Spearheaded and conducted community outreach efforts for women and children living in local safe houses as victims of
Domestic Violence.
I got to help people, talk about things I'm interested in and get paid for it.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 24, 2015
Tutoring was a great experience. I got the opportunity to help students who were struggling, talk about engineering technology, and hone my ability to problem solve and communicate in a small team setting.
Pros
set my own hours, talked engineering technology, made connections with other students.
Cons
can't really make a career out of tutoring
Good work environment
Temporary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Loved working for APSU, but didn't get to stay longer as I was on a temporary contract. If I could have stayed longer I definitely would have, but maybe another opportunity will come along. Pay was good and the management was understanding and helpful whenever any issues arose.
Pros
Good pay, good managment
Cons
Temporary
Great work/life balance
Admin Asst. III (Current Employee) –  Clarksville,TNJuly 8, 2015
While I enjoy my job at Austin Peay State University, it was never my intention to work in Higher Education. This university has been rated one of the top Tennessee schools to work at and has a great work/life balance.
Pros
Innovative and a caring cultrue
Cons
Take home pay. Not including benefits
Bad Management
Undergraduate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 27, 2014
*I do not have "typical" work days
*I have learned to navigate diverse political settings
*The University has less than adequate management
*The majority of my co-workers are not savvy professionals
*Dealing with a work culture that is unsophisticated
*Working with students
A wonderful work and learning experience.
Specialist, Community and Business Relations (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 27, 2013
This was a wonderful work and learning experience. The office was a small office with limited management and offered a great deal of independence. I gained extensive experience in event planning while working at this job.
Simple tasks and activities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 18, 2015
This was your typical office job. Great hours, great pay, enjoyable work. The position was unfortunately temporary. I would love to accept another position similar to this one, but with much more stability.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
No job security
Great Experience
Database Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 14, 2012
Everyone there is friendly and willing to help out where necessary. The management is great with all staff members open and accepting. Excellent work hours and also a great University to attend for those pursuing a degree.
Pros
calm environment
Cons
located in a small city
Teacher's Assistant
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 31, 2013
A typical work day lasted for about an hour and a half helping other students with the basics in geology, rock and mineral identification and use of maps. I learned basic techiques in relaying information. The best part was interacting with other students.
Very fun!
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Awesome institution. Learned many clinical skills and how to care for patients using the nursing process. As a new graduate nurse, I know that the institution provided me with all of the basic nursing education to perform safe and adequate care.
Great Atmosphere and Professors
Student (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 12, 2015
The experience I had was very positive. The professors were so willing to help when it was needed. They went above and beyond to make sure the students understood what was expected of them and when assignments and projects were due.
Great for students
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 11, 2013
This job was great for me when I lived on campus. I became very close with everyone in the office and felt welcomed from the start. Interacting with other students and their problems helped me overcome some of mine.
Pros
everything
Growing School in a Growing City
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 17, 2012
Austin Peay has been part of my life for the past 5 years as a student and now as an employee. It is small enough where you don't feel overlooked in a crowd and large enough to give you the full college experience.

4.2