Austin Peay State University Employee Reviews

Increasingly demanding job with too little pay.
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This campus has continued to grow exponentially over the past 10 years. If you work in an areas that directly works with the students you probably have a good position. However, if you have a position that is not directly working with students you are probably understaffed and grossly underpaid. Such was the situation I found myself for the almost nine years of employment in management. The job became more and more demanding and there was no additional staffing given to handle the extra demands or resources of any kind. We were told by the new president that the goal was going to be to double our student population again and those departments who directly worked with the students would see additional funding and resources. However, those of us who indirectly supported the campus were just tough out of luck as we labored away at our same old jobs having more work and no additional pay or resources given to us. I was on this job for nearly 5 years before I even got my first .25 cent raise. I was told such is the life in a State institution. While you watch management and Professors get thousands added to their payroll, or you see others get declassed into a new position just so they can get a higher salary, including your on bosses to the tune of $10,000 and $20,000 more per year.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Pay sucks, compared to work expected.
College Job working for the school.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 21, 2017
This job was just a few hours a week working in the lab for the department. Great experience, great people, would mostly depend on the department you work for.
Amazing
Student Life and Engagement (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 21, 2016
Student life and engagement was an amazing place to work. The staff who works there on a daily basis really makes you feel like you are part of a family within the work place.
Student Worker
Member of Govs Programming Council August (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37040August 3, 2016
Most of my work at Austin Peay State University included running errands, and when I was not running errands I monitored the athlete's in the computer labs.
Great place for work and education!
Senior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2016
Working for the university allows for interaction with individuals from various walks of life. Management is great and flexible by working with those who have families as well as those who are trying to further their education.
Pros
No time monitoring
Cons
Hard to advance in particular areas
Fun and Fullfilling
Geology Lab Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2016
I loved working at my university and helping the physical geology class students learn. I never really doubted my self because I had already taken the class and several higher course classes.
I enjoyed every professor I assisted.
Some of the students you had to keep a close eye on but for the most part I loved the job.
Pros
Fun job, co-workers, right down the hall from classes
Cons
Hours were short
productive
Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 29, 2016
being productive and critical thinking. confidentiality plays a big role working with both students and veterans. broadens your horizon to the things that are happening around you that most people are unaware of.
Fun and flexible
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMay 11, 2016
I love being a Office Assistant. My day was basically helping students get in to college, Answering phones, Taking messages, Making Appointments, Emailing, filing paperwork and data entry. I Learned how run a office and do clerical work. Management was great, they love to help you learn new things. My co-workers were awesome. The hardest part of this job was leaving.
Pros
Hour breaks, Friendly
Cons
More Hours and more permant positions.
Good
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 22, 2016
I had a great time working as a lab manager and being able to help and provide help for students and faculty. I really miss working there but it was a step for my career.
Flexible position for students to sharpen their skills and avoid debt
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 10, 2016
Excellent supervisors. Stressful days occasionally when the tutoring lab was packed. Friendly co-workers, flexible hours. Difficult sometimes to teach certain individuals, but enjoyable having those "Ah ha!" moments.
Pros
Flexibility, Contacts, Skill refreshers
Cons
Public can be stressful
Love
Processor (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 18, 2016
Austin Peay is wonderful. The staff is kind and makes it feel like home. I love my supervisor and am treated with much respect.
Great place to work. Loved every bit of it.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 7, 2016
Day would consist of going to class with the students and helping the professor with things like passing out papers and such. After the class was over, I would run a recitation type class where students either worked on classwork that they were having trouble with or the online portion of homework that was assigned along with the class. The professors I worked with and other SLA leaders were great, and my boss was the best. He was always there to help out with any questions I had.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Nice professors and boss
very productive and relaxed environment
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 9, 2015
Each day brings new challenges and excitement. I enjoy working each day and the environment makes for productive work days.
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 17, 2015
Interesting place to work. Lots of opportunity for experience. Fun coworkers. I learned a lot but this job will vary from department to department.
Very fun!
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Awesome institution. Learned many clinical skills and how to care for patients using the nursing process. As a new graduate nurse, I know that the institution provided me with all of the basic nursing education to perform safe and adequate care.
Good work environment
Temporary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 13, 2015
Loved working for APSU, but didn't get to stay longer as I was on a temporary contract. If I could have stayed longer I definitely would have, but maybe another opportunity will come along. Pay was good and the management was understanding and helpful whenever any issues arose.
Pros
Good pay, good managment
Cons
Temporary
Great work/life balance
Admin Asst. III (Current Employee) –  Clarksville,TNJuly 8, 2015
While I enjoy my job at Austin Peay State University, it was never my intention to work in Higher Education. This university has been rated one of the top Tennessee schools to work at and has a great work/life balance.
Pros
Innovative and a caring cultrue
Cons
Take home pay. Not including benefits
Overall good place to work
Accommodation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 23, 2015
Austin Peay State University is a great school to work for but it has limited room for growth. Beautiful campus and friendly staff.
Simple tasks and activities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 18, 2015
This was your typical office job. Great hours, great pay, enjoyable work. The position was unfortunately temporary. I would love to accept another position similar to this one, but with much more stability.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
No job security
Great Opportunity for Students
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 9, 2015
Great place to work. I would prefer to see some things changed, but of course, those opinions are mine and mine alone. APSU has run smoothly for a very long time without my input. We had a great team of RAs working at our complex.

I learned that it is best to make a suggestion for improvement and then move on than to belabor the issue and cause a problem.
Pros
Great Benefit package for student employees
Cons
Late night incedents could cause problems with classes