Austin Voices for Education and Youth (AVEY) is looking for a social worker for its new Family Resource Center at Burnet Middle School. The new FRC, funded by AISD, provides wraparound service support to Burnet families, as well as those from surrounding feeder elementary schools. The FRC also employs a director who oversees all functions of the center and coordinate and recruit community partners for Burnet.
The Family Resource Center brings together resources to support families, including social and health services, advocacy and adult education/leadership training. Austin Voices FRCs, currently functioning at Webb and Dobie Middle Schools, employ a team that includes a center director, social worker, administrative assistant and volunteers, who work with district Parent Support Specialists. The goals of the center are to: 1) To support families in crisis and transitional situations (thereby increasing student attendance, reducing high student mobility), moving them into a sustainable level of stability; 2) Further long-term family success through adult education; and 3) Increase parents’ engagement with the school and their ability to support their children’s education.
The resources needed to support families are provided by a coalition of community partners, including city/county agencies, health providers, non-profits, faith-based groups, businesses, higher education institutions, and community organizations/individuals.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work. Preferred Master’s Degree in Social Work
- Licensed social worker in the State of Texas
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience required.
- Bilingual; fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish
Job purpose and responsibility:
The FRC social worker is responsible for participating in a family support team for the Burnet Middle School community, including a director and other staff/volunteers. The social worker will provide case management social serivces, manage data, report and evaluate, will develop collaboarative relationships with community partners for the center, and identify opportunities at the client and campus levels to make referrals and utilize community support around student and family stability goals, will also help provide adult education and make client referrals to the Adult Academy and work to increases parent and community involvement with the school, and will work as part of the support services team at Burnet, under the guidance of the FRC Director and the campus principal in collaboration with Austin Voices.
The Burnet FRC Social Worker will be responsible for:
- assessing needs, providing information, support and referrals and evaluating outcomes for families referred to the FRC, as well as walk-ins
- providing social service case-management services for families
- working with the FRC team (director, paid and volunteer staff) to plan and execute school outreach and events that provide resources for families
- keeping careful electronic and paper records on all family support activities while adhering to legal standards for ensuring client privacy and confidentiality
- participating in the campus Child Study Team that coordinates student and family support services
- collaborating with counselors, parent support specialist, principal, assistant principal, dropout intervetion specialist, other campus staff and teachers in supporting familiy needs
- participating in training for FRC staff and volunteers
- researching family support resources that can be leveraged by the FRC staff
- working collaboratively with partnering agencies and institutions that support FRC activities
- maintaining licensure as a social worker in the State of Texas
Job Requirements for the FRC Social Worker:
- Proven ability to effectively provide wholistic case management and family support services with experience in providing information, referrals and advocacy to community-based providers for a variety of basic needs (such as basic needs, health, housing, employment and legal).
- Some experience working in a school setting preferred
- Positive attitude, enthusiastic, friendly, innovative, organized
- Must be able to respond quickly to communication, and be an effective communicator with clients, staff, volunteers, and community members/partners
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, but also to initiate projecs and work without close supervision
- Effective written communicator, able to write client case notes, produce reports and evaluation documents
- Computer skills include internet, email, word processing, Excel spreadsheets, ability to produce flyers and ability to utilize a large database.
- Flexible with the abiltiy to prioritize goals and manage time to meet client, project and program needs
- Punctual with flexibility in schedule as participation in some evening and occasional weekend events will be required
- High level of integrity
- Perform other related duties as needed
Indeed - 2 years ago