Autism Speaks is the largest autism science and advocacy organization in the country, dedicated to funding biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatment and cure for autism, and developing innovative new resources and services that enrich the lives of individuals with autism and their families.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available for an Assistant Director of Special Events reporting to the Director of Special Events to work out of our New York, NY office.
The selected individual will work to raise funds for Autism Speaks, as well as solicit corporate sponsorships, in-kind donations, and auction items through the creation and management of high profile, national special events associated with the Founders’ office.
Primary responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Special Events include the following:
- Work with the Director to oversee Special Events staff and create departmental strategy to achieve department revenue goal.
- Liaise with the President’s office, Founder’s office, Board Members and high profile Event Committees associated with National Special Events in order to achieve revenue goals.
- Fundraise for and manage high-profile special events including dinner galas, golf tournaments, concerts and cocktail receptions.
- Liaise with high-profile event co-chairs, committees, honorees, donors and guests during the planning process and at events.
- Solicit event sponsorships and in-kind donors, both new and existing. Partner with other AS departments in order to strategize on existing and/or new potential sponsors.
- Coordinate all logistics for events, as well as, manage other aspects of events such as production, high-profile live and silent auctions, and both celebrity recruitment and management and volunteer/staff recruitment and management.
- Prepare and submit weekly financial updates to event committees and AS executives.
- Work with web team to create event websites prior to events and recaps for post event.
- Communicate with the public relations team to ensure appropriate PR for events.
- Prepare event timelines and program run-of-show, and provide on-site management at events.
The qualified candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree; events and/or project management certification strongly desired. A minimum of 7 years experience in fundraising and managing high-profile special events, preferably in the non-profit sector is required. Experience working with demanding and high-profile co-chairs, committees and executives is essential. Must have experience in project management, production, and staff management.
Other Required Skills and Knowledge:
Must have proven track record of meeting revenue goals for special events. Strong organizational and project management skills is required, along with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to multi-task and meet events and project deliverables under tight deadlines. Ability to work independently, as well as, part of a team is essential. Proficient in MS Office; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and/or Kintera is a plus. Flexibility to travel (up to 5%) and work evenings and/or weekends is required.
Autism Speaks* offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, and the opportunity to help create a brighter future for children with autism and their families. Candidate must be able to successfully pass a background check consisting of: credit, civil/criminal, salary and education verification, motor vehicle, references and drug screen.
Qualified applicants may email resumes with salary requirements.
No phone calls, please. Only those applicants who meet the hiring criteria will be considered and contacted by Human Resources. Autism Speaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.