Autism Spectrum Therapies Employee Reviews in United States

Flexible schedule and Rewarding work
Registered Behavioral Therapist (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 15, 2016
I will drive to my first client, have session, take my lunch drive to my second client session, and drive to the last client, then i drive about another hour or so home. My supervisor is great, the schedule is flexible but it is also variable and inconsistent making my paycheck the same. clients can cancel on you and the mileage, gas spent and time driving is a lot to handle.
Pros
flexible lunch
Cons
gas, milage, cancellations and drive time
Great benefits and working for a great cause
Front Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 7, 2015
A typical day at AST is you get in and there are usually things for me to do right away. There are tasks that I have to do everyday and there are new tasks that are assigned to me. The management is strict. Since I am an Office Admin, my supervisor is strict about timeliness and professionalism. I get along with all of my co-works but do not have any relations with them outside of work. The hardest part of my job is being able to balance everything that is put on my plate. I am learning to be a multitasker and being able to have a better sense of prioritizing. I am also learning how to be more professional. I enjoy the fact that I am helping kids and families with autism. It satisfies me to know I am making their lives easier.
Pros
Benefits, Great cause, set schedule
Cons
Strict environment, Little time off
Ok Place to work
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 18, 2015
You do work closely with supervisors and can set your hours, but must keep it for 6 months. There will be times where parents may cancel sessions and you would have no work for that time. Its a great place to learn how to use ABA correctly and teach others by a years end. You do get paid for miles driven but not the time. Summer is usually pretty bad if you have school cases. You will end up rarely sever seeing any co workers except for your supervisor. There are 6 month meetings that are set by the higher ups.
Great place to learn and obtain BCBA hours
Advanced Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 28, 2015
I love working here and getting to work with a wide variety of clients and supervisors. It has been great to work within various schools and within the homes of clients but difficult to see other coworkers throughout the day. I have learned how to work with parents, teachers, clients and other staff members as well as how important communication is between Interventionist and supervisor. The most difficult part of the job is not having many opportunities to grow within the company.
Productive and rewarding environment
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 27, 2015
Services: Discrete Trial Training and Pivotal Response Training.
General Areas of Concern: Community Safety, Behavior and Compliance, Play Skills,
Social Skills, Self Help, Functional Communications, and Self Management.
Responsibilities: Collaborating with IEP team members, teacher and other staff, tracking
Individualized Education Program goals, parent education, overseeing programs, Liaison
between parents, team, supervisor, and clinical director.
Ok place to work
Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMay 14, 2015
AST as a company has a lot to work on when it comes to its employees especially when it comes to the scheduling department there is too much miscommunication between employees, clients, and the scheduling department. It would be more effective if employees could communicate with clients directly instead of leaving it up to the scheduling department. On the plus side AST's clients are amazing and so are the families they work with.
Cons
scheduling department miscommunications
fun workplace environment
Social Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 30, 2015
Good place to work part time while in school or pursuing other careers. Not much opportunity for advancement without a masters degree and/or BCBA
Great Experience
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAApril 14, 2015
The first 6 months are the busiest and you have to be on your toes to help at anytime when receiving a call from scheduling.
Schedulers are extremely nice, energetic, and are very thankful for your help.
Great supervisors who want whats best for you and the client. They are very knowledgable in how to help with a discouraging case.
Its not what you think
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 5, 2014
I thought this would be a great job with my experience but I was wrong. I quickly learned that things change with this company often. I am now on my third supervisor in 6 months. I also have yet t be offered benefits and there are no incentives to stay. I am currently looking for a new job and hopefully I get one soon. You cannot live off the wages. I have not been ale to pay rent fully since I started tis job.
Pros
your not sitting in one location all day.
Cons
takes a while for benefits to kick in, communication is slow, pay is not appropiate for what we have to do, your pay rat changes when the child does not come to school
impacting the lives who most need it
behavioral interventionsit (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJanuary 25, 2015
a typical work day is fun and interactive. I work one on one in a home environment with children and their families.

it has been a great experience working with different cultures and different people. full exposure here.
Pros
great experience
Cons
late hours
Great place to work if you can get the hours...
Behavior Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 24, 2014
As an interventionist you work by yourself frequently, it seems that AST really tries to bring its employees together through social events which is nice. Expect to be broke during the summer and throughout the holidays when school is out. Raises are few and far between....I haven't heard of more than $.50 every few years so when you get hired on prepared to stay at that rate.
Pros
friendly co-workers, social events, involved management
Cons
limited pay, lack of hours, little room for advancement without a masters
Great Agency
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CASeptember 10, 2014
Overall, the company was great; however the work life balance was difficult to manage,

Although employees were told that the situation would be better, cases were always removed and then replaced with more cases.

I learned a lot from this agency and opportunity for growth was available, it was dependent on how much time one was willing to give.
Great company to work for, but you work hard for your money.
Advanced Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 7, 2013
I learned a lot from my original supervisor, she was always supportive and just a phone call away. Working in the homes of children with autism became difficult day in and day out, especially if your supervisor only seems concerned with filling the contract, as opposed to considering 6 hour sessions are most likely not going to be productive, as my second supervisor did. Overall, good place to work, my experience differed with different supervisors
Pros
you're not in an office everyday
Cons
a lot of drive time, not a lot of flexibility with schedule.
Horrible
Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 30, 2013
Please go find a small company that will treat you like a human being. Management is corrupt and out to become huge and get money, and as a result the staff suffers. Training is good and well put together, and the expectations are high, so it is a great way to gain experience, but DO NOT go into this job/ apply and think anyone will root for you, care about you, or encourage you! The starting pay is okay, but there are other companies that will pay 3-4 dollars more. There is a reason why once Easter Seals boomed with ABA services a good portion of excellent AST employees left to become therapists there with $3 pay increases and guaranteed hours.
Pros
most employees genuinly care about the kids
Cons
benefits are a joke.
Great company with lots of support
Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 29, 2012
Lots of communication between both families and your supervisor. They offered lots of training and advice for new therapy ideas and play activities. If an Interventionist had any concerns or questions, their supervisor would get back to them in a very timely manner. Hardest part of position was the large amount of drive time and the locations of each client. Although, the pros outweighed any con when you saw the large and vast improvements with each child.
No Understanding of Work/Life Balance
Former Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CaliforniaJanuary 21, 2013
AST is a great agency for behaviorists that are looking to be trained well. However, their standards and expectations (especially of supervisors) are unrealistic, especially given compensation, etc. Employees end up feeling exploited and end up taking their new skills somewhere that will appreciate them more. Supervisors at AST are paid somewhat more than industry standard but given hours worked it comes up to being a lot less (and much less worth it).
Pros
organized, training provided
Cons
unrealistic expectations
Extensive Trainning in ABA
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 1, 2013
At AST, my responsibilities were to conduct parent and teacher guidance lessons, parent consultation meetings, IEP progress reports, data base management, direct behavior intervention incorporating Applied Behavior Analysis, and data collection, interpretation, and input using Excel. This agency provided extensive trainning in ABA, including Discrete Trial Trainning, PECS, and Floor Time.
Company needs help
Behavior Interventionist (Former Employee) –  New OrleansJune 16, 2014
It was great working with the kiddos and seeing all the progress they made through the programs. However this company is not looking out for its employees. There's inconsistency with hours that are beyond your control and the pay for travel is not enough considering the wear on your car. If you want to move up the ladder more schooling is required (BCBA). They say they're open to suggestions, but not really. The company really needs to start from the basics of looking out for the interest of the community they serve AS WELL as the employees. Because there are good quality people who will stay for the long run if you take care of them. Benefits are good but it took forever to get it and I payed less going through the government site.
Pros
working with the kids, offer benefits
Cons
inconsistent hours, upward mobility
Lack of structure/organization...
Therapist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 4, 2012
Loved the clients I was able to work alongside, but could not tolerate the disorganization of the company. Don't expect any form of structure, especially with your schedule...you will be more of a floater/on-call employee. Decisions are made on a whim about everything, and no considerations are made in regards to you as an employee.
I really wanted to love this organization, but found it impossible to. :(
Productive and fun
Advance Behavioral Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJune 6, 2014
Providing direct care to consumers and assist families with outings if needed. What I learned is the importance of quality care and providing support to the consumer and families. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference for the consumer and families.
Pros
paid mileage and phone stipened
Cons
the drive from client to client

2.9