Autocam Corporation Employee Reviews

Very productive environment to work in
Quality Inspection/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MIJuly 19, 2017
This particular job is great if you enjoy fast-paced work and you are detail oriented whether it be Quality Inspection or assembly it is a great fit for those that enjoy great work ethic and hard work.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun work environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIMay 16, 2017
Liked working with management. Listen to questions and concerns. Working here I felt like I was part of a team. All concerns were addressed. Would recommend to someone.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Pay could be better
Not a real good place to work
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 15, 2017
Work a lot of hours raises are based on education not experience and ability if you have education you will get more money even if you can't do the job
Pros
Breaks when you can fit them in
Cons
Autocam is your life you don't have time for anything else
Autocam review
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJanuary 18, 2017
I would start at 6 and get done at 4:30. I would get there and then do my duties. When I got done with that I help others with their jobs. I learned packing totes, running the crest, derusting and many other various tasks. My boss was pretty easy going. But once in a while he would be a little on edge. I made friends with the co-workers I interacted with on a regular basis. The most difficult part of my job was derusting parts. it might not be hard but it was hot and stinky. with the chemicals in it I don't know how safe were the air I was breathing. The favorite thing to do was go around the shop with a pallet jack and pick up or drop off parts. or getting boxes down and putting them in the correct location.
Advanced Processing with High Technology Level
Manufacturing Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MINovember 17, 2016
Companies main product area is in fuel systems. Great company to learn advanced processing techniques to produce high volume micron level products.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Job Advancement
Part sorter/ Quality Inspector
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MIMay 10, 2016
My Knowledge is only on the Marshall location:

Honestly, this place is good for learning experience in different areas. They will probably transfer you around at least once within your first couple months. They have a multiple positions in the factory, but not much room to advance. If you're working as a temp they will probably throw you into just about any version of part sorting and ask you to pick up another responsibility without additional pay. Positions for Temps are mainly: Visualizing parts via microscope/mag-light, part measurements via gauging, running tumble, wash, or automation machines.

Getting hired in is nearly impossible. Which means that you will not be receiving benefits such as: Healthcare, Time off, or supplied lunches. At this plant they do offer a "machinist apprentice program" which not a single employee has completed. They either quit or get fired. In order to even get into the program you have to complete: A semi difficult test, go through an interview process, and then take a class once a week for 2 years. They will pay for your completed classes or so they say and they will want a 3-5 year employment contract. If you don't complete this you will have to pay for the cost of classes. So, if you don't get hired in by previous work experience you probably won't.

Management seems to be nice, they are slightly unorganized and don't always inform workers on schedules throughout the month. Scheduling can really fluctuate week to week, which can be typically 6-12 hours and 5-7 days a week. They don't seem to know when these changes will take
  more... place until last minute, so hopefully you don't mind.

Co-workers are typical, some can be some of the nicest and greatest team members you will work with and some can be down right cranky and love to gossip.

The work environment also fluctuates on cleanliness, some areas are very oily and have harsh chemicals and have metal shavings and others are fairly clean. The oily air is unavoidable though.
Pros
Co-workers & Experience- Some jobs are very easy
Cons
Scheduling, Advancement/Pay, Management, Cleanliness, & Breaks?
A pleasant experience, great opportunities for students
Shadow (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 9, 2016
Autocam has a beneficial array of programs for up and coming college students to work for a reasonable wage while achieving their education. The employees are amicable, and there's a clear amount of office banter, making it a very stress-free environment to be around. I did not meet a person there that didn't leave a good impression on me.
Steady work
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIApril 1, 2016
Long hours and must have detail to measurements. Good environment to learn the different elements to designs. Opportunities to learn how to use a variety of different instruments.
Very good place to work
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Kewntwood, MichiganOctober 17, 2015
Grand Rapids Label is located on E. Paris in Kentwood, Michigan. I loved working for Autocam, it was a great company to work for and management was also good to work with as well.
flexable hours
sorter\final inspetor (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIAugust 11, 2015
when we came in to work we take a tote of metal parts . we take them to a desk and look for defects in the part and also debris inside the part with a micro scope. After we were done with the tote of 200 parts we send them to a packer. I sorted about 1200 parts a day
Pros
all the o t we wante
Cons
people with bad attitudes
Good place to get your foot in the door in a machine shop
Team Leader/2nd Op. Machinist (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MIJune 30, 2015
Everyone at Autocam is very helpful, and they acknowledge versatility and people whom actually care about their place of employment.
Autocam
SAFE LAUNCH INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsMay 26, 2015
Autocam was a good job very good and clean atmosphere good people and there was always something to learn that pretand to the job which help me down the road with other jobs
Poor system management
Visual Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIApril 2, 2015
For actual employees, overview may be a far higher positivity. Not so much for the contracted or "temporaries". Autocam definitely is a split entity. Few plant areas or positions are actual hire-in opportunity, which is basically limited to machinists or maintenance. All others are low-pay contract (under $11/hr), which the actual plus is the 10-15 hrs overtime--actual production considering. And that is often irregular or occasional. Prior, production flow was a guaranteed 50-hr week. Presently, not so much.
Pros
Generally friendly work environment, opportunity to train on or learn different parts
Cons
Very low pay, limited hire-in or no advancement opportunity
Great People, poor managment
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Overall this place believes in fewer people with more hours. Great concept if you are young and without family. This provides the company with great job stability, but long hours year after year causes burnout.
Management is there but true leadership is lacking. Anger management with management was an issue, but the stress level was high at times also. At times management was more worried about finding someone to blame than finding a solution.
Compensation was above average. Pay and other small working benefits were outstanding. Benefits were fair, but dropping year over year.
Most co-workers were great people. Overall business structure was strong, but could use better managers; some managers were part of the good ole boy club and were untouchable.
Overall this is a great place to learn and find out how a lower tier automotive supplier works.
Pros
Pay, lots of overtime, some great co-workers, lots of hard workers.
Cons
Lots of overtime, low work-life balance, managment good ole boy club.
Backstabbing, political, upper management incompetance and self greed at expense of others.
MATERIALS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MISeptember 10, 2014
I would never work for this company again. Ethics are terrible.
great job oppurtunity
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMarch 25, 2014
I worked at autocam for over a year. There were alot of older workers and many of them were cranky and social. I mainly had my circle of friends who started the same time as me. I was being trained to be an engineer but the company decided to train each one of us on a different machine each semester when we were in school. Some engineers were nice and some kept a distance. I found the work easy because it came naturally to me. I never really had a "hard part" other than trying to find work when all my work is done. The most enjoyable part was seeing my machine run with no problems which gave confidence that i did a good job.
Pros
great pay, no strict schedule, got to go school
Cons
part time worker, smaller hours, job culture poor
Don't work there
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMarch 21, 2014
Your co-workers are the best part of the job. Management will never get off your back, no matter the quality of your job performance. The job itself is easy and pays alright, but it's not worth the stress.
Pros
Easy, Good co-workers
Cons
Long hours, management, Absolutely no freedom
Good People
MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIFebruary 24, 2014
Not a lot of contact with management, at least with what I was doing. The co-workers were generally very nice, will talk to you, and will help you if you need help with something.
Great Company!
Hydromat Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 26, 2014
This company is an excellent company to work for in terms of treatment of their employees, benefits, and overall workplace environment. However, one area they are lacking is the opportunity for career advancement.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership oppertunities
Loved the job, but poor management and organization
Quality Inspector/General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 5, 2014
Was a quality inspector; I learned how to inspect parts according to customer standards; Management was prejudice and always waiting for certain employees to mess up; coworkers were great, we worked so well as a team; hardest part of my job was dealing with lack of organization and poor management; most enjoyable was the team I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autocam Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.