Autodesk

Autodesk Employee Reviews

Happy and laid back work environment, difficult to advance in a technical career.
QA Analyst, Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMay 6, 2014
What I Liked:
This was my first job out of college, where I worked as a QA consultant on a development team in the backend IT department. We followed Agile Scrum development, so a typical day started with a half hour Daily Stand up meeting where everyone got to discuss their progress on the current sprint's stories. I liked these meetings because I would always know what the developers and other QAs were working on, and this made it easy to coordinate with the rest of the team.

Everyone had their own individual tasks to complete, but no one was ever so caught up in their own work that they couldn't stop to discuss something unrelated with another co-worker. In fact, verbal communication was an integral part of the job, since written documentation is a low priority in Agile development. If you are a lone-wolf type who likes to get things done without coordinating with others, then this sort of environment might not be a good fit.

The overall atmosphere seemed very laid back, and I never felt too pressured about meeting deadlines or working extra hours.

What I Didn't Like:
My department did not seem concerned with retaining technical talent, as most technical positions were filled by consultants and there was very few opportunities to be converted to an employee in a technical role. If you have a technical background and are looking to follow that career path, this is probably not the best place to grow.

The company is known for having frequent "Re-orgs", where new teams are sprung up, and existing teams get dissolved. This makes your future at the company seem very uncertain.
  more... In the best case, one of the new teams will require someone with your skill set and you can continue to have a job; Although you will be working on an entirely different project, with entirely different people. Worst case is that your skill set and knowledge is not relevant to the new teams and there's nowhere for you to go. This is what eventually ended my term at Autodesk. My team was dissolved and no other team had any interest in a QA or Developer with just over a year of experience in software development.  less
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Cons
technical talent is not valued
Great Work / Life Balance, great company culture
Software Development Intern, Big Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 17, 2013
Super smart people, world-changing technology. Autodesk have managed to raise the lowly engineer to the level of Geek Superhero - in fact, they were just named one of the Universum Top 100 Ideal Employers for engineering students.

In the right role, one can change the future. Autodesk is a powerful enabler in many spaces, and smart, young people can truly excel in this company.

Autodesk transformed drafting and design back in the 1980's, and they continue to lead the world in engineering technology, design, visualization and future techologies (e.g., additive manufacturing, green buildings and engineering simulation). Great benefits and above-scale pay. Super corporate stewardship for many sustainable efforts - Autodesk gives back to the world.

In the right team, you'll have fun while changing the world. The average Autodesker is more than just smart - he or she is probably a fun-loving prankster / comedian, too. Seriously, the work atmosphere is intense but when this they take a break from their task lists, the majority of functional teams have a great time together. This alone can make work at Autodesk very, very worthwhile.
Autodesk Inc.
Help Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 14, 2015
Autodesk is a great place to work for ... Only if you are a full-time employee working under the company.

I shall not complain too much about my position at Autodesk because I learned a lot. I started here as an intern from YearUp Bay Area as a Helpdesk Specialist. At first, I did not know what Helpdesk was. It took a lot of time getting used to being here and the work they had me do.

I learned a lot of Active directory, troubleshooting, how to speak to people over the phone while being on a computer and worked with some really great people out of here.

Though, it was great to learn and after my internship my contract did get renewed, but after my contract ends it will go downhill, it's going to go against an american's companies morals, our managers out-sourced our job to a team of 24 in the Phillipines with Cognizant.
Pros
Mondays and Wednesdays had catered lunch at Landmark
Cons
Being held by a string if you are a Contingent worker
A great place to work
Manager, Learning Programs (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJuly 21, 2014
You can easily fall in love with Autodesk. It's a great place to work - very cool technology, wonderful people, world-changing reach... one could spend their entire career at Autodesk and be quite happy. The work environment is the best in San Fran; not quite as wonderful in San Rafael but still good. The business is changing; moving away from the old-line desktop software space into a full-on SaaS model. These changes can be painful at times, but senior management is not letting any grass grow beneath them as they work through it. All and all, very positive. You owe it to yourself to look here if you're in the market for a tech job.
Pros
very good benefits, decent pay, great stock purchase plan, incredible offices in sf (@one market, walk from the ferry!)
Cons
middle management can be... confused, re-orgs are frequent, re-deploys not so common but they still do happen.
Good Pace to work
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 21, 2014
• As part of my current role i am involved in Environments designing for Testing Environments, System integration test, Stage and Production environments apart from this I am involved in Architecture and identifying the existing system gaps and fix the loopholes of the ancient build system.
• Environment configured using AWS EC2, AWS Dynamo DB, AWS S3, AWS VPC, and AWS Security Groups (creating, maintaining, configuring) using IAM
• Setting up Splunk to diagnose problems (including setting up forwarders and configuring alerts)
• Configured auto-scaling AWS VPC stack using JSON templates(preferred using cloud formation and scripting - e.g. coding the server)
• Continuous integration of code and deployments using Puppet, Jenkins, Maven for Development, QA and couple of other environments.
• Configured AWS Elastic Load Balancer, AMI.
• Installing Boto, Python and couple of other tools required for the application teams.
• Configuring user profiles using AWS IAM and couple of other external utilities.
• Configured VPN for leveraging Puppet services across multiple VPC’s.
Productive Working environment
Major Utility Account Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2012
Autodesk provides a strong work ethic based company. A typical day includes several interactions with various customer opportunities - progress - since they are generally Long Term Sales Cycles which could last nearly 2 years.
The challenges faced at Autodesk is my current position is under a direct purchase model which is counter culture to Autodesk's Reseller / Channel model used on 90% of their business.
Several restructures have challenged the Major Utility group with new Managers uneducated on the industry and other management who does not comprehend the complexity nor longevity of our sales cycles.
My co-workers (remote) are a great team and easy to coordinate project opportunities and successful action plans.
Pros
personal leadership, sales freedom / independence, great work environment
Cons
restructures, new management on annual basis and lack of executive understanding on long term utility sales cycles
A good work environment
SQA Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAAugust 24, 2015
Autodesk, Inc., is a leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software. Since its introduction of AutoCAD software in 1982, Autodesk continues to develop the broadest portfolio of 3D software for global markets.

Customers across the manufacturing, architecture, building, construction, and media and entertainment industries—including the last 19 Academy Award winners for Best Visual Effects—use Autodesk software to design, visualize, and simulate their ideas before they're ever built or created. From blockbuster visual effects and buildings that create their own energy, to electric cars and the batteries that power them, the work of our 3D software customers is everywhere you look.

Through our apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android, we're also making design technology accessible to professional designers and amateur designers, homeowners, students, and casual creators — anyone who wants to create and share their ideas with the world.
Autodesk, INC.
Reception/Global Ergonomics Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 9, 2014
It was very easy for me to move up within the company. Not only have I gotten to use my skills in a productive way, but I have also been able to learn new skills whilst on the job.

I enjoy working here because the environment is very friendly and welcoming. The management has not only been supportive of me moving up into different departments, but have encouraged it. They seem like they actually care about your long term well-being and not just what is good for the department at that moment in time.
Pros
welcoming environment, supportive team members, close knit.
Cons
contingent employees do not receive benefits and are excluded from many company activities.
Avoid at all costs
Data Analyst - Enterprise Data Management Group (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMarch 4, 2013
Was brought in as a temp. data analyst. Very unstructured and unprofessional work environment. People in my group were treated as 2nd class employees, work is very unstructured and often times leading to great confusion among analysts. Culture of fear, do not ask questions, just keep head down & do in order not get fired. I spoke up agains this, my contract was not renewed. I was told it was due to speaking up but entire team was let go. Was then offered to come back in a similar department, apparently because I was a good worker in other department (?), refused due to insufficient pay and zero career advancement opportunities.
Pros
modern & clean building, free coffee.
Cons
unprofessional and dishonorable management

Comment – July 10, 2013

I think I know the group you speak of. I am a former employee of the group I believe you must be in. To be fair, I don't think this kind of treatment is the norm at Autodesk, but unfortunately I have seen abusive management there several times. It amazes me that this sort of thing is allowed to happen, that people turn the other cheek or don't want to hear it. The bottom line is, if a manager is delivering, in some cases it doesn't matter how miserable that persons direct reports are. Hang in there. The good news is, Autodesk is a great place to grow, and opportunities often come up, if you stick it out and give it a try, you might find yourself in a great situation. Good luck.

A software development company for the business minded
principal designer (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day at Autodesk is enjoyable. Colleagues are steeped in experience and typically friendly and engaging. I've learned a lot about how to design and develop apps and platforms in the enterprise environment. Management in general is laissez faire (hands-off) and this approach tends to promote "being your own CEO" and driving success with one's own power and hard work. I have made quite a few great friends of co-workers. The hardest part of the job is carrying what can be a very heavy burden, depending on the role, team, product and division. The most enjoyable part is learning from wonderful people.
Fast Paced and Fun
EIS Helpdesk Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJuly 6, 2015
Company focused on culture and customer service. Excellent training and opportunity to move up in positions with greater responsibility. Enjoyed working with a team of excellent people who regularly got together with me to do after work extracurricular activities. Job was fast paced and due to this time flew. It was difficult at times due to the company growing so rapidly. We always needed more team members to join our group but it was hard to find people like the ones we already had. People who not only can perform the job duties on a technical level but also people who have great personalities and excellent customer service skills. I enjoyed working with and helping others the most.
This environment likes to think it's concerned and proactive regarding employee satisfaction and work/life balance, but it does not follow through.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJuly 5, 2012
Non-stop, frenetic, work before the moment I walk in the office (cell phone begins ringing before 7:00 am). I have learned what type of work stress I will no longer tolerate. My management is no management at all - just micromanage to death and then change everything anyway. The most difficult part of the job is finding some sort of connection with the person for whom I currently work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the other people I get to work with on a fairly regular basis.
ACER
ACER Customer Engagement (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 4, 2015
A typical day at work was calling all of my registered clients and resellers to ensure they were satisfied with service and software.

I learned how to multitask and increased my phone etiquette as well as computer skills.

Management was good, and were in the same office which made it easy to communicate.

My coworkers still remain some of my best friends to this day.

The hardest part of the job was speaking with dissatisfied clients and helping put them back at ease.

The most enjoyable part was seeing the pilot program that I helped create go on to a global scale.
Pros
coworkers, work enviroment, benefits
Cons
small office, lack of opportunity for growth
Effective and Challenging work Environment with good recognition
QA Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  San rafael, CAFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day at Autodesk includes Stand ups and Sprint discussions. It was a great learning curve for me as I had to work with the Salesforce platform and Rally which was a new introduction to me.Our team was a small one consisting of 7 people which included couple of developers and QA with the lead. We had lots of Fun at work as we had team outings and team lunches happening more often.The hardest part of job was the travel! I had to travel 72 miles one way to reach my workplace. The most enjoyable part of my job was to be with my team mates working and the stand ups. The environment was challenging and kept us on our toes.
Pros
great team and good recognition at work
Cons
travel time and no free lunch
Great company to work for
Senior Full Stack Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 9, 2015
Typical day: Meetings, dev work, bug detection and fixing.

What I learned: Writing large scale backend application, improved my node skills.

Management: is very easy going, and fun to work with.

Co-workers: Some seniors some juniors, great teamwork, we teach and help one another.

Hardest part: Tracing a bug for 2 hours at 2 am in the morning during prod release, and then find out that another service is causing the issue.

Most enjoyable part: Problem solving, critical thinking, and programming :).
Pros
Work from home allowed once a week
I thoroughly enjoyed working with Autodesk
Global Partner Services and Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMarch 27, 2014
The daily global customer service and operation was intriguing and fascinating. This position was vital for my development with SAP, SalesForce, Seibel and Outlook. I became highly savy with the different systems and quickly became a specialist.

My co-workers were supportive, reliable and supportive. They were fun to work with and great team players.

The most enjoyable part of my job was speaking different languages throughout the day (Spanish, Portuguese, English and Creole).
Pros
meeting new people, internal cafe and waterpark close by
Cons
long commute
Excellent company and good corporate culture
Manager, Employee Impact Program (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 8, 2016
After 18 years, it is sad to be part of the 10% reduction in force at Autodesk. It has been the most challenging, exciting, and rewarding place I have ever worked.
The corporate culture is good, and the people are fantastic. It's an innovative company with lots of creativity.
I've learned so much and I am ready to take my experience and knowledge to another great company.
Pros
Good people, latte machines for free coffee drinks, good work space
Cons
Lots of pressure, lots of overtime, unreasonable timelines
A work hard/play hard ethic. great benefits
Supervisor of Reception & Directory Assistance (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 20, 2015
My overall experience is that this is a wonderful place to work.. Hours are flexible to a certain degree. Everyone works hard but downtime is encouraged. Additionally, aspects (volunteer and further education) to help you grow as an individual who can contribute to the company and society as a whole is equally encouraged.
Pros
healthcare benefits are maxxed. onsite cafe
Cons
some areas of plateauing, and lots of change all the time if you are not flexible in that respect it could be an issue.
Best job I ever had, was a fool to leave
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Rafael CaDecember 9, 2011
I worked in the IT department in the corporate headquarters in San Rafael. Autodesk has campus there with several hundred employees. IT was a very significant part of the company and had a very large staff. The environment was that of a sedate office setting with a lot of knowledge workers. And their dogs.

Well behaved dogs were allowed to accompany their owners to work, and so it was typical to have a lot of 4 legged co-workers. Great company to work for. Great pay and benefits. Paid sabbaticals.
Pros
dogs in the office
Cons
office politics
IT Helpdesk Specialist
IT Help Desk Specialist Americas (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2014
Working at Autodesk is great for your resume, although the culture here is not the best. Many contractors, who are all treated not very well, singled out of everything. Not much room for growth unless you become a full time employee. I would definitely recommend this company if you would like to learn a lot, and set your self up with a good career. Good place to kick off your career, but difficult to become a full time employee

4.2