AutoNation Employee Reviews in United States

Okay place to start, horrible place to stay!!
finance (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 14, 2015
I started in sales and gradually worked my way up to finance and then director. Back in 2004 it was a great place to work for, but as the years went on corporate got more and more greedy! They could care less for their employees and cut pay year after year! They make you think that AutoNation is the best, the largest and great advancement opportunities. However, this is not the case! When I finally decided to leave AutoNation I was so scared! They said NO OTHER AutoNation store will hire me again and they are the biggest and the baddest and I will regret it, however, I have been gone for almost a year, not only have I nearly doubled my salary, my work load is less and I'm appreciated every month! Bye AutoNation, you are NOT missed!! Family owned dealerships will win every time!
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Everything else!
Productive and fun workplace
IT Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work included taking several phone calls, checking emails and going through tickets all in separate queues. I learned a lot about the company's VOIP phone and ticketing systems and PC/server environments. Management was relaxed and laid back which made the job go smoothly yet efficiently at the same time. The hardest part about this job was sometimes not knowing which internal department or external vendor to route certain phone calls and/or tickets to for certain issues out of the scope of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers who brightened up the day even when phone calls, emails and tickets got backed up in the queues
Pros
Smooth, relaxing and laid back atmosphere, experience gained on the job and one hour lunch breaks.
Cons
IT Help Desk department was outsourced to a managed service provider in another state.
Not a job - more like hades
Service Advisor/Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAApril 1, 2016
I spent 6 months working there as a service advisor after turning down another offer that was further away. From the general manager to the service director to the techs, the place is a complete joke. The working conditions are primitive - propane heaters in the winter and open doors in the summer - a real 'breezeway'. Porters that cant get out of their own way and techs that can't fix a sandwich. The customer base, as a whole, is 'credit challenged' but you need to SELL. You have to watch every ticket you write because all are open game to steal - with no recourse or corrections from management. Buy yourself a metal detector and hunt some coins - you would be better off.
Pros
You get to see how bad a dealership can be run
Cons
Dirty shop, break room and over-all conditions
not very good
Service Writer/Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 3, 2016
not a very good place to work, no advancement. or traing, cut out overtime , long hours, no weekends off at anytime , no communication thru the chain of managment
QA Consultant
Sr. QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 13, 2015
~ 8 years of cross techno-functional experience in IT domain across various phases of Functional black box testing (SIT, Regression testing, UAT). My responsibilities include gathering requirements from Users and Subject Matter Expert, understanding business requirements, developing test strategy, test planning, test suits prepration, defect tracking, risk assessment, supporting root cause analysis, and test quality for different domain applications. Well acquainted with Software development life cycle, Software Testing Methodology and Technique, Software Testing Model, PDP (Project Defined Process), Configuration Management. Good interpersonal and communication skills. Well diversified experience in supporting various client engagement and their successful delivers.
Management doesn't care,avoids issues
technician (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILDecember 4, 2015
Problems in the shop go unnoticed or ignored. Always an impending mutiny atmosphere in the shop. No equality when jobs are "dispatched". "Raises" are restructured pay plans to make it harder to make the same $$ as previous year. That's IF they decide to give you a raise..
Pros
Cons
You name it
Horrible workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AutoNation ChevroletJune 14, 2016
Long hours, low pay. I learned that this company will go to great lengths to rip off the customer. If you believe the "market based pricing story" then you are drinking the Kool Aid. I spent 18 months doing car sales for this outfit. They want you to believe they care for the customer , when in fact they want to squeeze every penny out of the clients and laugh at them as they walk out of the dealership after over paying for their car. I could sell 10-12 cars and make no money on commission, but the dealership will make money by selling a certain number of cars. A great place to work if you are in your mid twenties and still live at home, if you are trying to feed a family then look elsewhere. Most dishonest company that I have ever worked for.
If you are the sales manager's "girlfriend" you get all the e-leads and customers handed to you.I can't tell you how many times I was threatened with physical violence by my sales manager. HR refused to step in and help.
Pros
There weren't any as I was concerned
Cons
Bad management, long hour, dishonesty towards the customer
horrible work environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 12, 2016
Worked for this company for 10 years. Told there was always room for advancement. So not true. Promised pay raise. Not true. Took 4 pay cuts because they kept moving me around. Also told by a supervisor to keep arms covered so customers would not see skin disorder. Very much against the law to harrass employees because of looks. Would never work for company again. Management can be nice to your face and then talk very disrespectfully behind your back. Be cautious of seeking employment with Autonation. Definetly not a company that is reliable or has the employee's back.
Pros
Cons
disrespect and poor treatment
Think Twice!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 17, 2016
I was a service advisor for 2 years. The people I worked with were... Alright. More about themselves then helping as a whole (i.e. Taking customer away or changing RO's, etc) but over all good people. The GM is awesome! Service manger wasn't so great. But the company is just a wreck! More interested in making a penny then the employees or customers. I never once got any of my "use or lose" PTO because we were always "short staffed" and needed people badly because people were in and out (in my time there, 21 people had come and gone, nearly one a month).

The pay is the real kicker though! I was making more money at my side job than I was being a full time employee here because they're pay plans are absolutely unrealistic. For example, advisors needed to sell $250k A MONTH... Seriously!?! Who do these people think they are!! My pay checks would vary which I understand is part of a commission job but it would flux by thousands of dollars every other week... With no explanation other than "you need to see more"

I would really, REALLY think twice before applying to work for Autonation at any career level.
Pros
Not really
Cons
A mountain and a half
Work hard for NOTHING
service advisor (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDDecember 20, 2015
This was the worst company that I ever worked for. Autonation bought out the dealership that I had been working for and refused to give the employees a pay plan ater two months. Management would not communicate with the staff and left everyone in the dark. They gave me no choce but to resign and find other employment where I could actually earn a decent living.
Pros
Good technology and resources
Cons
Lack of concern for employees
Easy job to get, even easier to leave
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 1, 2016
You need to sell things not necessarily needed in order to actually make any Money. Great place if your willing to compromise your morals to HIT all the "spiffs of the month" goals, which will change each month. Definitely a feeling of just another number coming through, you will constantly be made aware of how you are replaceable if you don't make them the $$ the want. Stay away unless your just looking to get your foot in the door. Just hope you don't get trapped! Lol
Pros
Easy job to get
Cons
Too many to name...
Amazing Workplace
Human Resources Recruiter/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 12, 2016
I have absolutely loved working for this company. I have learned so much and have built such a great relationship and partnership with my stores and Managers.
Pros
Salary, People, Benefits
Cons
no cons.
Dead end
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 28, 2016
Autonation Honda was a horrible place to work. The management are the typical car f*ck type people. The daily culture became very routine. All management cared about was sell, sell, sell...it was need enough. These people would sell out their own family if they thought that it would make them money. If you don't kiss azs, promotions are out of the questions. They benefits are the worst. Extremely expensive. This place would turn a nun into the devil in a matter off months if they didn't fire you first.
Pros
money and schedu
VP IT has unrealistic expectations
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 27, 2016
VP IT will not listen to those below him and expects you to perform miracles even when you have advised him that it is not possible and that some adjustments need to be made to various facets of the business to achieve his goals. People are nice, some are superficial and clueless, but otherwise a great place to work. Attitude and morale is good there. I am only familiar with IT. Not AN in general.
Pros
Friday breakfast at corporate
Cons
VP IT clueless
Great place
Customer Care Trainer-Central Region AutoNation (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to be a part of for 5 yrs. loved the people and atmosphere. Great pay, benefits and so good to its people. Enjoyed great leaders
Pros
pay and treatment
Cons
nothing
Keeps you motivated
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLOctober 20, 2015
A normal day is usually a little more stressful than what you would think it may be, but the customer are usually great and most of the employees you work with are outstanding people. I am a very driven hardworking type of person so seeing people not want to work when they have chance is the only thing that bothers me. The benefits are great and hours are great with having a family.
Pros
Everyone gets along and company works well with your needs
Cons
to many people slacking on oppurtunities
Best Job Ever
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Everyone is a shark. If you are there to make friends then consider the option of missing out on a couple of deals a day. Some make it a career, I cannot see myself go through the same process daily, but it is a life changing income.
Well, it is a dealership
Employee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2016
Sales Managers, are rude and disrespectful.
Sales Associates, some are nice and kind while others are just flat out horrible.

The GM? Yeah, he doesn't care about your position unless you're making him money.

Accounting dept? They never know what they're doing and then blame everyone else for their problems.

Receptionists, the only seemingly nice ones there actually trying do their jobs.

Overall its a fast past job, with a high stress level to go with it.
Pros
Saturday's we got free lunch
Cons
Too much to name.
overall good place to work...good people!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 10, 2016
I had the opportunity to work with some remarkable managers and co-workers. I learned new computer programs and customer service tips while dealing with customers. I really liked the interaction with clients and insurance companies, but the hours were very long and were difficult on the home life.
Staffing Issues
title clerk (Former Employee) –  Golden, CODecember 2, 2015
I liked what I did for AutoNation, but, the workload was overwhelming. I felt that there needed to be another title clerk for the volume of sales that the Jeep store sold. I have goals and they were are to meet due to the volume and the support from management.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Management Support