AutoNation Employee Reviews

Be cautious
Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAOctober 24, 2016
I am a former technician here. This place was a joke. The benefits were terrible, the equipment was terrible. For example, the lifts were hardly ever inspected, and we were forced to use broken lifts. Alot of technicians were significantly underpaid. They probably only had one decent service advisor. The rest seemed not to really care for any of the customers or employees. Just unprofessional service in general. My experience was definitely not a good one.
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Bad Benefits, pay
Look elsewhere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 20, 2016
Worked there for six years in sales. Always in the top three producers and it was never good enough. The longer your in the business at the same place the easier it should get. Not here. Everything gets harder. Micromanage every little detail of every deal. Things always take so long and customers are told to wait. To top it all off they promote people to managers who don't even sale cars. Look somewhere else that may treat you with more respect.
Pros
Stable if you like long hours
Cons
Everything is not what they tell you
Bad company over all
Certified Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 12, 2016
Was in sales and come from a company where they did business right so knew the difference between right and wrong . They are not transparent and rip both the customer and employees off and should be investigated for practices about the way they collect and use information about customers credit and how they sell product. Be careful if you finance a car they will rip you off know your credit before you go and don't by any back end product. And none of the upper management cares about customers or company and this is a public company and stock holders should be alerted about what's going on.
Pros
Employees
Cons
They are nothing more than cut throat rip offs and don't care about anyone but upper management.
Good people to work with
Booker/Cashier/Customer Service/ Warranty Admin (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2016
Autonation is a great place to work and learn a new career in the Automotive field.
They offer extensive training in sales careers.
Their vacation PTO accumulates up to 4 weeks.
The work is interesting and the people are great.
The management at Autonation work toward developing a family atmosphere among its employees.
Pros
Lunch is supplied for employees who work on Saturdays
Cons
The Health Insurance offered at Autonation is expensive and minimal, the dealerships are located in areas of high density traffic which makes the commute difficult, hourly associates are not given cost of living raises or reviews, all management positions and car sales associates suffer from extremely high employee turnover
A Typical Office Job
Office Admin and Intern (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 3, 2016
The work schedule is very consistent, and while at AutoNation you can learn a lot. The Management Styles are very different depending upon the department. The Co-Workers are typically friendly but there does seem to be some competition. The hardest part for me was the repetitiveness of the tasks given. It was most enjoyable when the days were busy and tasks varied.
Move Along
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2016
If your thinking about working for this corporation i would advise to keep looking! Is a typical car dealership in many ways, however the pay structure at Autonation is the lowest in the industry (while charging customers the highest prices). Top that with expensive benefits, long hours and a lousy work environment were everyone is unhappy. If considering a job in car sales i would strongly advise to keep looking!
Pros
Honestly none
Cons
Lowest pay plan in the industry
Don't waste your time on this Automotive Racket.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AutoNation Nissan Katy, TexasNovember 30, 2016
I started working at AutoNation with a promise of a great opportunity with sales leads and 25% commission. Shortly after I started my pay plan was changed to $9.50/HR + some very small unit bonuses. Then, my schedule was changed to 30 hours per week. I never did get any sales leads. All of the sales leads go to a handful of their buddies. After 3 months of being lied to, and drinking the "Kool-Aid", I quit. From an employee standpoint, AutoNation is by far the worst Automotive Group I have ever worked for. I would not recommend any motivated sales professional waste their time on AutoNation. They are interested only in hiring flunkies to work for peanuts in order to make the Corporate "Big Shots" rich.
Pros
2 off days per week.
Cons
Low pay. Part time hours. Ridiculously low unit bonuses. Rampant favoritism.
Horrible all around
Accounting SSC Coordinator/ DMV Title clerk (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CANovember 26, 2016
Terrible management,work environment, no structure. I could go on all day managers argue out in the open also have. No structure, no processes in place to help resolve issues. They only care about the money flow if it has nothing to do with that good luck getting help with other issues that need to be resolved even for customers.
Cons
Not a good company to start or build a career!!
customer financial services manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 29, 2016
If you are looking for a company to build or continue your career, RUN from this one as fast as you can!! Autonation will tell you whatever they have to just to employ you. Then the nightmares begin! There is a serious lack of training. They have the worst IT department imaginable and their computer systems and procedures are horrible. They allow their employees to do almost anything as long as they produce good numbers.Employee turnover is obviously a problem with Autonation and they truly do not care about anything except putting up the numbers. Not a good company to work for!!
Plenty of work but no managment and poor quality. Guilt tripped for taking a day off, even for the funeral of a family member.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 27, 2016
Has 7 dealerships feeding constant work along with having several DRPs. Company is run by numbers and doesnt care about customers or employees. Over priced health-care and next to impossible to get a raise. Does not respond to suggestions on how to make quality and cycle times improve.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Over priced health care, does not give raises, poor managment
No ethics
Service Department (Former Employee) –  Autonation Toyota Scion ArapahoeAugust 10, 2016
As you will see in the many reviews on Yelp, Autonation Toyota Scion does not have a great reputation. They do not take care of their customers, nor do they take care of their employees.

The workforce turnover is always high. They cannot retain excellent employees because they have no regard for them except as expendable mules - especially in the service department.

The leadership regularly lies to their employees. If you should put in a two week notice, you will be ignored from that point on as if you do not exist.

The accounting department manager is known for being quite unkind to other employees in the dealership, and no one does a thing about it.
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Where to start?
too many hours for too little pay
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 30, 2016
The car business has always been very time consuming. The fact that there is no such thing as an hourly employee so there's no overtime or laws to follow. 7 days a week is where I draw the line. Also the pay wasn't nearly what was expected. The people are good and I believe they'll get it straight over time
Disorganized and Hectic
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 25, 2016
Headquarter office is great - very modern and open space layout. Co-workers are nice, professional, and hard-working.
Very limited opportunities for career advancement. Only method of advancing it's if you're in good favors with upper management or one of their relatives. Favoritism and Nepotism is a common theme.
Fast paced, exciting work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2016
This is a fun and exciting fast paced job with so much room for growth and so many new things to learn. In such a short time with the company I have worked at four different dealers and multiple brands. I love learning about all the new technologies in the vehicles. Its easy to be enthusiastic about the cars with customers and positive about all the new and exciting features. I have learned everything from cleaning and maintaining the cars on the lot to some finance process to sales and product services. The best thing about the job is meeting all the new customers and striving to provide the best possible experience.
Pros
free lunches on saturdays, room for growth
WORST company to work for!!!
Sales (Former Employee) –  AutoNation Honda - Hollywood, FLOctober 1, 2016
Management sucks!!!! There's favoritism. They work you like a slave. Absolutely NO room to grow and move on up. Pay sucks!! Open 7 days a week; you pretty much don't have a life working here. No time for your kids and family.
Pros
PTO and holidays
Cons
Management turns an eye to every unfair issue and write you up for senseless issues.
Stable Employer, with minimal opportunity for advancement
Reconciliations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 8, 2016
A company that draws from the fringes, never the cream of the crop, but usually not the bottom of the barrel.

The work is simple, which can become mind-numbing if done for too long.

But if you are looking for some stability, and the wages suit you, I'd certainly recommend it.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Very little upward mobility, mostly horizontal with slight pay increases
Not for me
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 15, 2016
management very controlling and difficult Made stay late for staff meetings some times making your day 16 hrs long I had requested time off prior to starting and had to chase manager down day prior to get signed off yo have surgery
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
My way or highway attitude
VP IT has unrealistic expectations
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 27, 2016
VP IT will not listen to those below him and expects you to perform miracles even when you have advised him that it is not possible and that some adjustments need to be made to various facets of the business to achieve his goals. People are nice, some are superficial and clueless, but otherwise a great place to work. Attitude and morale is good there. I am only familiar with IT. Not AN in general.
Pros
Friday breakfast at corporate
Cons
VP IT clueless
No guidance, lack of training, no advancement
Autonation Nissan entry level trainee (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2016
I worked for autonation Nissan in Memphis TN. The job seemed cool seeing that I was in school for automotive technology and they were hiring for a trainee position. I must say that I did not receive proper training on certain things and I had to figure out on my own. Co-workers where helpful some were not. I got let go for something I was not trained on doing and when asked for help no one showed me or assisted me even though I was suppose to be in TRAINING. As a manager you should make sure your that your trainee should know the ins and out on certain problems and make sure with what ever task he or she is faced with they have the knowledge and understanding to complete that task successfully.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of training, guidance, no advancement
Dead end
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 28, 2016
Autonation Honda was a horrible place to work. The management are the typical car f*ck type people. The daily culture became very routine. All management cared about was sell, sell, sell...it was need enough. These people would sell out their own family if they thought that it would make them money. If you don't kiss azs, promotions are out of the questions. They benefits are the worst. Extremely expensive. This place would turn a nun into the devil in a matter off months if they didn't fire you first.
Pros
money and schedu