AutoNation Employer Reviews

It's all about money. Pure and simple.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Valencia, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: the potential to make decent money.
Cons: everything else.
The car business is unlike any other industry I’ve worked in and AutoNation dealerships are no different from any of the others. The focus is totally on making money to the detriment of everything else. Communication and any forethought/care of employees’ personal lives is nonexistent. Work schedules are simply thrown together at the last moment and changes to schedules for special events (tent sales), meetings, and/or holidays come with little or no advance warning. Training is limited to 60 days of online classes that are crammed down your throat in a week’s time and/or random in-person training sessions that are too brief, vague, and sporadic to be of any use. Managers exist in title only and are chosen based solely on their ability to manipulate (sell) others. They possess no real management skills, take no accountability, and cannot be trusted. They exist to maximize the profit of those that report to them and nothing more. As for the work environment, the showroom is literally any HR manager’s nightmare. Employees talk openly on the showroom floor using vulgar lingo and profanity that would make any high school teen blush, racial and sexist language is used by all including managers, and employees are screamed at and disciplined in front of others. And because money/greed is king, arguments between employees over whose customer belongs to whom are commonplace. As you'd expect, turnover is very high.

That being said, if you’re 100% money driven and not bothered by this kind of unprofessional environment, this is the place for you. You’ll work long hours and every weekend/holiday, but you’ll also have the potential to line your pockets with some decent coin and to move-up quickly within the company.
Good Company with great training.
Regional Sales Mgr (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Great training. Many locations, so transferring is always an option if better opportunities open elsewhere within company.
ACH Banking Associate (Former Employee), Irving, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Working for AutoNation was fast pace and you had to be a team player. Also you spoke with people all over the United States.
Great Job
Receptionist/Accounting (Current Employee), Arlington, TXDecember 2, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: raises, promotions
First time working in an auto dealership. Very fast paced. Daily duties remain the same, although each day is not routine. Meeting new people and networking daily. Great co-workers. Management is very helpful and supportive.
I've learned that the car industry is a revolving door of people and customers. The hardest part of the job is making friends and then they leave. The best part is always meeting new people.
Overall, it's a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 1, 2014
AutoNation has its ups and downs, like anywhere else. The people are exceptional though. At least in the department I worked in.
Waste of your time - fort Myers FL
Accounting (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLNovember 18, 2014
No appreciation at all, no increase, no benefits and the most bad language that you can ever hear in you life.
Very stubbed management, a lot of descrimnation on a daily basis they fire a lot of people without any reason, not a safe place to work in.
This is not a good environment to be around!
Sales (Former Employee), Hawthorne, CANovember 18, 2014
Pros: some of the co-workers are excellent, helping people
Cons: management, long hours, lack of organization!
First and foremost don't buy a car from this place they will shred you in financing. Secondly I recenty worked for this company (AutoNation Nissan Southbay) and I have to warn people this place is not a good environment for you mental, physical, and social well being. The days are long, the pay is questionable, and the management is only concerned with their own agenda. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work or buy a car from this mega corporation. Sadly all the people aren't bad, but the energy and aura in general is what will zap you. If you don't mind verbal abuse, disrespect, and missing/late payments then by all means work for AutoNation. Don't be fooled by what they tell you!!! Don't buy what they're selling you!!!
Terrible
Not saying (Former Employee), Hollywood, FLOctober 15, 2014
Pros: leaving
Cons: being there
Hollywood Honda: You're not treated fairly, I was accused of intentionally messing up transactions. Every move I made was tracked and God forbid I spoke to anyone for 2 minutes after work, everyone started spreading rumors about me. Just like high school. And my superiors never did anything to control it. They actually fed the situation. I have never seen people talk so much trash as I had in this place and I felt like if I wasn't a part of it, then I would have issues with the people. I got sucked into it and ended up being a horrible person. Which is partly why I left. 95% of the staff were telling me how horrible it is and when I asked why they stay they would say because they were there 20 years ago when it was good and even though it sucks now, it is an easy job for them at this point and they more or less can do as they wish and there's no point leaving. I might have had 3 or 4 people in that whole place that were good people. The rest are true scumbags. All they care about in service and sales is the dollar no matter who they hurt, how much they lie, and how much advantage they take of people.
horrible
SALES PORTER (Former Employee), bmw of hendersonOctober 13, 2014
Pros: no positives at all
Cons: to much negativity
It's a horrible place to work I recently just quit from this BMW and I worked there for a year before I joined the military and when I got back to work I was accused for so many things that didn't have any proof for the GM at the moment is Erick ziginbierh and he was the one that was blaming me for everything and when he talked to me in his office. I asked him for proof and he said he couldn't get any to blame it on me. He has his favorites and obviously I wasn't because I "became a treat" to him because I was to confident as he said. So if you want my advice do not work here I repeat do not...from a former employee
Interacted with great group of sales and office people
Finance Director (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines and MiamiOctober 10, 2014
Pros: financial rewarding
Cons: long hours
Credit review of pending deals
Credit investigation
Secure finance approvals from Captive and Non Captive lenders
Manage Finance team
Managed European Delivery Sales and delivery
Managed all Mercedes-Benz lease returns and inspection
love
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2014
they were awesome as well. my co workers and managers were great and taught me a lot. I am so thankful that they went above and beyond to help me transfer to another dealer out of town so I could move.
Intern (Former Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 23, 2014
I love the place over all but some departments refused to word with school schedules.
Overall good experience
HR Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 12, 2014
For an auto Company, it has it's opportunities. With the right management team it can become one of the greatest Auto retailers in the Country.
day at work
Auto Technician (Former Employee), Westminster, COAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch on saturdays
Cons: hard to advance
i arrived at work a 6:45 a.m. Most days i changed tires and oil
Productive Place to work
REGIONAL FINANCE DIRECTOR (Former Employee), Ft. LauderdaleAugust 18, 2014
Pros: teamwork
Very professional structured automotive giant that takes care of their
employees.
The name should be changed to AutoNazi.
Parts Associate (Former Employee), Lithia Springs, GAAugust 9, 2014
Pros: working at autonazi will make you get your job search going fast!
Cons: there is not one positive thing to be said about this place.
This is a large company, very large company. In the 5 months I worked there my paycheck was never correct, NEVER. The pay is low and you are lied to by management. You are a salaried employee that is required to clock in and out and you do not get to make your own schedule. As a result you are worked 55-60 hours a week yet salaried at only 43 a week.
Remember the Auto bail out?
The management for the most part are arrogant and ignorant...a very dangerous combination of personality traits.
There is near zero training. You will be constantly short staffed. You will almost never have the right equipment to do your job correctly. And wow, if you are lucky enough to work on Saturday you will get a free lunch. You won't get to eat it though because you get no lunch break for the 11 hour day you are expected to work. Hope you like cold pizza!
I listed the hourly rate below. After commission that is what I made for 60 hours a week.
The hardest part of the job was going back every morning.
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving every day. I would say getting paid but remember my pay was ALWAYS wrong.
Remember, every penny that comes in that place is for an investor and that is exactly how the business is run.
It may be a great place to buy a car...may be, but is is a horrible place to work.
Great dealership
Service Director (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2014
Bankston Lincoln Mercury dealership Closed in 2010. Great place though.
Fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 5, 2014
I like the job you can basically do anything there. Mangers were really cool. Only have one problem with a co worker cause he gossip but he left the beginning. other than that It was a fun place to work at.
Overall a good place to work
Lead Trainer: Schedule/Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Irving, TXAugust 1, 2014
Pros: free lunches and dinners at end of month, employee activities, they strive for education/training.
Cons: way too much overtime at end of month. would work 10-16 hour days for the last week of the month.
Autonation, Inc strives to improve their employees knowledge and happiness. They were going through some changes during the later part of my employment that would improve the work/life balance. I found that in my area, there was too much overtime required. With children, I could not see working so much.

If I was able to find a position in the company that did not require so much overtime, I would return.
Co-workers are willing to help
Payroll Coordinator, National Payroll Center (Current Employee), Irving, TXJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good co- workers
Cons: health care
Okay to work but not my dream job. Overall friendly co-workers, system not hard to learn.

1 2 3 4 5

About AutoNation

When America needs a car or truck, they call on AutoNation. With over 8 million happy customers and counting, AutoNation is America’s – Read more