AutoNation Employee Reviews

A great company.
DMS Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 12, 2017
A great company to work for with typical day at work includes help desk and speaking with the different dealerships to ensure that they are operational.
Pros
Breakfast and lots of company activities in the community
Cons
Better communication and work life balance
One of the larger Southern dealerships
Business Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Auto-Nation had excellent training. Chrysler as well. They did not value marketing education or management potential. It was all about sales of the day and the reps with more days on the job get all the best customers.
Pros
Prestigious products such as Jeeps and Chryslers
Cons
Highly competitive
You create your own career
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 9, 2017
Good place for the hardworking individual. A bit cutthroat at times but if you stay sharp and stay motivated the hard work and pace pays you back heavily.
Not what you would expect from a national car sales chain
Ecommerce Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2017
If you like the corporate world, this may be for you. Everything will need to be processed the Autonation way. If you are looking to make money, especially as a manager look elsewhere. Used car managers make about 3K a month, because even if you could make money on a deal, the AN process and regulations will prevent this. I know new car sales managers who work tons of hours for barely covering their health insurance on their paycheck. Tons of micro managing from the top down. No flexibility or individuality there.
My co workers were pretty cool, respectful and hard workers. Many of them been in the business for many years.
Pros
benefits, healthcare is substituted, company benefits and rebates for many national businesses and activities.
Cons
mircomanaging. stoic, long hours, poor pay
Autonation Honda
Valet Parking (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 1, 2017
Best description of the store a a whole is a ship about to go under but is managing to stay afloat.

I cannot put in specifics due to possible retaliation. My recommendation is only use this place as a step stone to get to somewhere better. Its only a career unless you are good at selling cars, otherwise its a dead end job.
Pros
employee discounts, car knowledge, benefits
Cons
constant worry about being written up, managerial incompetence, harassment
Working at AutoNation Houston
Car Salesman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 26, 2016
Is very unorganized had problems with payment and hourly payment had issues with scheduling and had issues with overall employment they tell you one thing and it's the other this job is very unprofessional and they couldn't show me how to become a proper salesman this is my first dealership I had no experience!
Treat employees terrible
Technician (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 16, 2016
We got a roll of wrapibg paper for xmas.wont negotiate a 4 year old expired labor agreement .no raise for 5 years .favoritism .just cut labor times again. This is fourtune 500 company corporate greed
Pros
Cons
No raise 5 years refuse to negotiate a contract expired 5 yrs ago
It really changed me
Sales (Current Employee) –  Albany, GADecember 15, 2016
Mainly with Autonation you have to be there for the long run. You have to be able to give it you all and know that it is not always going to be a easy route. You have ups and downs, and that's with people, money, and the job.
All they care is sell sell sell
Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 9, 2016
Terrible place was 7 to seven and if you took time off oh .like they wereally paying .you had sick time pto that you earned .then they took that away .you work and then tell you you can't take vacation only the managers could total slim .they have lube tech fixing cars .they truly don't care about customers as long as the survey is good they don't care
Pros
None long days long weekends
Cons
Compay robs you for insurance, 401 match a joke .they make millions and scre employees for as much as they can
the program that I was in was put together in a rush and could have been thought out and planned out a little better. it was rushed.
Vehicle Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 7, 2016
The program was rushed and some of the tools we needed to do our job better, were not available. The program seemed to be rushed together and dissolved just as quickly.
Don't waste your time on this Automotive Racket.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AutoNation Nissan Katy, TexasNovember 30, 2016
I started working at AutoNation with a promise of a great opportunity with sales leads and 25% commission. Shortly after I started my pay plan was changed to $9.50/HR + some very small unit bonuses. Then, my schedule was changed to 30 hours per week. I never did get any sales leads. All of the sales leads go to a handful of their buddies. After 3 months of being lied to, and drinking the "Kool-Aid", I quit. From an employee standpoint, AutoNation is by far the worst Automotive Group I have ever worked for. I would not recommend any motivated sales professional waste their time on AutoNation. They are interested only in hiring flunkies to work for peanuts in order to make the Corporate "Big Shots" rich.
Pros
2 off days per week.
Cons
Low pay. Part time hours. Ridiculously low unit bonuses. Rampant favoritism.
too many hours for too little pay
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 30, 2016
The car business has always been very time consuming. The fact that there is no such thing as an hourly employee so there's no overtime or laws to follow. 7 days a week is where I draw the line. Also the pay wasn't nearly what was expected. The people are good and I believe they'll get it straight over time
Horrible all around
Accounting SSC Coordinator/ DMV Title clerk (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CANovember 26, 2016
Terrible management,work environment, no structure. I could go on all day managers argue out in the open also have. No structure, no processes in place to help resolve issues. They only care about the money flow if it has nothing to do with that good luck getting help with other issues that need to be resolved even for customers.
Not for me
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 15, 2016
management very controlling and difficult Made stay late for staff meetings some times making your day 16 hrs long I had requested time off prior to starting and had to chase manager down day prior to get signed off yo have surgery
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
My way or highway attitude
Not Worth it.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHNovember 3, 2016
Work there for 6 months and wasn't worth it. Treated poorly there and when I started working there everyone was leaving for rival companies. Says alot right there about the company.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Low Pay, horrible management.
A Typical Office Job
Office Admin and Intern (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 3, 2016
The work schedule is very consistent, and while at AutoNation you can learn a lot. The Management Styles are very different depending upon the department. The Co-Workers are typically friendly but there does seem to be some competition. The hardest part for me was the repetitiveness of the tasks given. It was most enjoyable when the days were busy and tasks varied.
Friendly Place to Work
Instructional Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 3, 2016
Growing business model with lots of exciting changes in its future. Nice parking and office space. Limited lunch options. Most people pack something from home for lunch.
Pros
Remote work program.
Be cautious
Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAOctober 24, 2016
I am a former technician here. This place was a joke. The benefits were terrible, the equipment was terrible. For example, the lifts were hardly ever inspected, and we were forced to use broken lifts. Alot of technicians were significantly underpaid. They probably only had one decent service advisor. The rest seemed not to really care for any of the customers or employees. Just unprofessional service in general. My experience was definitely not a good one.
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Bad Benefits, pay
Look elsewhere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 20, 2016
Worked there for six years in sales. Always in the top three producers and it was never good enough. The longer your in the business at the same place the easier it should get. Not here. Everything gets harder. Micromanage every little detail of every deal. Things always take so long and customers are told to wait. To top it all off they promote people to managers who don't even sale cars. Look somewhere else that may treat you with more respect.
Pros
Stable if you like long hours
Cons
Everything is not what they tell you
Good people to work with
Booker/Cashier/Customer Service/ Warranty Admin (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2016
Autonation is a great place to work and learn a new career in the Automotive field.
They offer extensive training in sales careers.
Their vacation PTO accumulates up to 4 weeks.
The work is interesting and the people are great.
The management at Autonation work toward developing a family atmosphere among its employees.
Pros
Lunch is supplied for employees who work on Saturdays
Cons
The Health Insurance offered at Autonation is expensive and minimal, the dealerships are located in areas of high density traffic which makes the commute difficult, hourly associates are not given cost of living raises or reviews, all management positions and car sales associates suffer from extremely high employee turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AutoNation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9