AutoNation Employee Reviews

Okay place to start, horrible place to stay!!
finance (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 14, 2015
I started in sales and gradually worked my way up to finance and then director. Back in 2004 it was a great place to work for, but as the years went on corporate got more and more greedy! They could care less for their employees and cut pay year after year! They make you think that AutoNation is the best, the largest and great advancement opportunities. However, this is not the case! When I finally decided to leave AutoNation I was so scared! They said NO OTHER AutoNation store will hire me again and they are the biggest and the baddest and I will regret it, however, I have been gone for almost a year, not only have I nearly doubled my salary, my work load is less and I'm appreciated every month! Bye AutoNation, you are NOT missed!! Family owned dealerships will win every time!
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Everything else!
Amazing Workplace
Human Resources Recruiter/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 12, 2016
I have absolutely loved working for this company. I have learned so much and have built such a great relationship and partnership with my stores and Managers.
Pros
Salary, People, Benefits
Cons
no cons.
Management doesn't care,avoids issues
technician (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILDecember 4, 2015
Problems in the shop go unnoticed or ignored. Always an impending mutiny atmosphere in the shop. No equality when jobs are "dispatched". "Raises" are restructured pay plans to make it harder to make the same $$ as previous year. That's IF they decide to give you a raise..
Pros
Cons
You name it
Great place
Customer Care Trainer-Central Region AutoNation (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to be a part of for 5 yrs. loved the people and atmosphere. Great pay, benefits and so good to its people. Enjoyed great leaders
Pros
pay and treatment
Cons
nothing
not very good
Service Writer/Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 3, 2016
not a very good place to work, no advancement. or traing, cut out overtime , long hours, no weekends off at anytime , no communication thru the chain of managment
Keeps you motivated
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLOctober 20, 2015
A normal day is usually a little more stressful than what you would think it may be, but the customer are usually great and most of the employees you work with are outstanding people. I am a very driven hardworking type of person so seeing people not want to work when they have chance is the only thing that bothers me. The benefits are great and hours are great with having a family.
Pros
Everyone gets along and company works well with your needs
Cons
to many people slacking on oppurtunities
No guidance, lack of training, no advancement
Autonation Nissan entry level trainee (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2016
I worked for autonation Nissan in Memphis TN. The job seemed cool seeing that I was in school for automotive technology and they were hiring for a trainee position. I must say that I did not receive proper training on certain things and I had to figure out on my own. Co-workers where helpful some were not. I got let go for something I was not trained on doing and when asked for help no one showed me or assisted me even though I was suppose to be in TRAINING. As a manager you should make sure your that your trainee should know the ins and out on certain problems and make sure with what ever task he or she is faced with they have the knowledge and understanding to complete that task successfully.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of training, guidance, no advancement
No ethics
Service Department (Former Employee) –  Autonation Toyota Scion ArapahoeAugust 10, 2016
As you will see in the many reviews on Yelp, Autonation Toyota Scion does not have a great reputation. They do not take care of their customers, nor do they take care of their employees.

The workforce turnover is always high. They cannot retain excellent employees because they have no regard for them except as expendable mules - especially in the service department.

The leadership regularly lies to their employees. If you should put in a two week notice, you will be ignored from that point on as if you do not exist.

The accounting department manager is known for being quite unkind to other employees in the dealership, and no one does a thing about it.
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Where to start?
Productive and fun workplace
IT Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work included taking several phone calls, checking emails and going through tickets all in separate queues. I learned a lot about the company's VOIP phone and ticketing systems and PC/server environments. Management was relaxed and laid back which made the job go smoothly yet efficiently at the same time. The hardest part about this job was sometimes not knowing which internal department or external vendor to route certain phone calls and/or tickets to for certain issues out of the scope of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers who brightened up the day even when phone calls, emails and tickets got backed up in the queues
Pros
Smooth, relaxing and laid back atmosphere, experience gained on the job and one hour lunch breaks.
Cons
IT Help Desk department was outsourced to a managed service provider in another state.
Fast paced, exciting work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2016
This is a fun and exciting fast paced job with so much room for growth and so many new things to learn. In such a short time with the company I have worked at four different dealers and multiple brands. I love learning about all the new technologies in the vehicles. Its easy to be enthusiastic about the cars with customers and positive about all the new and exciting features. I have learned everything from cleaning and maintaining the cars on the lot to some finance process to sales and product services. The best thing about the job is meeting all the new customers and striving to provide the best possible experience.
Pros
free lunches on saturdays, room for growth
Not a job - more like hades
Service Advisor/Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAApril 1, 2016
I spent 6 months working there as a service advisor after turning down another offer that was further away. From the general manager to the service director to the techs, the place is a complete joke. The working conditions are primitive - propane heaters in the winter and open doors in the summer - a real 'breezeway'. Porters that cant get out of their own way and techs that can't fix a sandwich. The customer base, as a whole, is 'credit challenged' but you need to SELL. You have to watch every ticket you write because all are open game to steal - with no recourse or corrections from management. Buy yourself a metal detector and hunt some coins - you would be better off.
Pros
You get to see how bad a dealership can be run
Cons
Dirty shop, break room and over-all conditions
Not a good company to start or build a career!!
customer financial services manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 29, 2016
If you are looking for a company to build or continue your career, RUN from this one as fast as you can!! Autonation will tell you whatever they have to just to employ you. Then the nightmares begin! There is a serious lack of training. They have the worst IT department imaginable and their computer systems and procedures are horrible. They allow their employees to do almost anything as long as they produce good numbers.Employee turnover is obviously a problem with Autonation and they truly do not care about anything except putting up the numbers. Not a good company to work for!!
All lies!! Beware autonation honda dulles
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  HONDA DULLES AUTINATION STERLING VAAugust 13, 2016
I was lied to from the gate. 1st dealer ever worked at and would be the last. I worked at Honda Dulles in sterling Va for 7 months which 6 of those months I was looking for a new job for the last 6 months. GM....JOKE!!! SERVICE MANAGER AND DIRECTOR....JOKE!!!! MANAGEMENT DIDN'T HAVE THE SKILLS TO RUN THIS DEALER OR EVEN IN A CIRCLE. I DON'T KNOW HOW I WAS ABLE TO LEAVE THERE WITHOUT CATCHING A CHARGE. Lie about pay, paychecks were always wrong, slave hours, lying techs, lying advisors, we were instructed to charge $150 per hour labor rate. Advisors would steal tickets, techs would lie about recommendations, we were instructed to change emails to obtain good surveys. The only thing that was good there was the few people I met. STAY AWAY NOT WORTH THE CUP I URINATED IN TO GET THE JOB!!! Autonation is a joke. HONDA DULLES SHOULD BE CLOSE DOWN. Nasty cold sandwiches every sat, nasty cold pizza every other Saturday, no Christmas bonus. Service Manger and director would have been great at a different position like, parts stocker. RUN AWAY FROM HONDA DULLES. STAY CLEAR HONDA DULLES
Pros
Great food in the area for lunch
Cons
REALLY!!!
Horrible workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AutoNation ChevroletJune 14, 2016
Long hours, low pay. I learned that this company will go to great lengths to rip off the customer. If you believe the "market based pricing story" then you are drinking the Kool Aid. I spent 18 months doing car sales for this outfit. They want you to believe they care for the customer , when in fact they want to squeeze every penny out of the clients and laugh at them as they walk out of the dealership after over paying for their car. I could sell 10-12 cars and make no money on commission, but the dealership will make money by selling a certain number of cars. A great place to work if you are in your mid twenties and still live at home, if you are trying to feed a family then look elsewhere. Most dishonest company that I have ever worked for.
If you are the sales manager's "girlfriend" you get all the e-leads and customers handed to you.I can't tell you how many times I was threatened with physical violence by my sales manager. HR refused to step in and help.
Pros
There weren't any as I was concerned
Cons
Bad management, long hour, dishonesty towards the customer
Plenty of work but no managment and poor quality. Guilt tripped for taking a day off, even for the funeral of a family member.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 27, 2016
Has 7 dealerships feeding constant work along with having several DRPs. Company is run by numbers and doesnt care about customers or employees. Over priced health-care and next to impossible to get a raise. Does not respond to suggestions on how to make quality and cycle times improve.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
Over priced health care, does not give raises, poor managment
Move Along
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2016
If your thinking about working for this corporation i would advise to keep looking! Is a typical car dealership in many ways, however the pay structure at Autonation is the lowest in the industry (while charging customers the highest prices). Top that with expensive benefits, long hours and a lousy work environment were everyone is unhappy. If considering a job in car sales i would strongly advise to keep looking!
Pros
Honestly none
Cons
Lowest pay plan in the industry
Think Twice!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 17, 2016
I was a service advisor for 2 years. The people I worked with were... Alright. More about themselves then helping as a whole (i.e. Taking customer away or changing RO's, etc) but over all good people. The GM is awesome! Service manger wasn't so great. But the company is just a wreck! More interested in making a penny then the employees or customers. I never once got any of my "use or lose" PTO because we were always "short staffed" and needed people badly because people were in and out (in my time there, 21 people had come and gone, nearly one a month).

The pay is the real kicker though! I was making more money at my side job than I was being a full time employee here because they're pay plans are absolutely unrealistic. For example, advisors needed to sell $250k A MONTH... Seriously!?! Who do these people think they are!! My pay checks would vary which I understand is part of a commission job but it would flux by thousands of dollars every other week... With no explanation other than "you need to see more"

I would really, REALLY think twice before applying to work for Autonation at any career level.
Pros
Not really
Cons
A mountain and a half
VP IT has unrealistic expectations
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 27, 2016
VP IT will not listen to those below him and expects you to perform miracles even when you have advised him that it is not possible and that some adjustments need to be made to various facets of the business to achieve his goals. People are nice, some are superficial and clueless, but otherwise a great place to work. Attitude and morale is good there. I am only familiar with IT. Not AN in general.
Pros
Friday breakfast at corporate
Cons
VP IT clueless
stealing from the employee's
management (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 15, 2015
This company has to be the worst in the business, I have worked in this business for 25 years and have never seen anything like this they take your compensation away when your sick and say it was a leave of absence. The pay plan I signed never said that. They cut your pay plan if you make to much. They hire gms who have either never been a gm or are a average at best, they put a rule in place that says no sales staff should work more than 45 hours a week and I worked 70 . They will give a customer a 5200 dollar loss on a car but an employee has to pay retail and give there trade in at 4000 behind book. Horrible company no process, no customer service, no loyalty to the employee's they are a group of share holders that have no clue what or how to run this business the right way. Whatever you decide to do about employment do not drink the kool-aid of this company, also when you leave they will do everything they can to tarnish your reputation because you stood up.and said no I'm not going to take it. Also they refuse to cancel and refund the customers for service contracts that are pro rated and should be returned or at least used towards there down payment on there new car. They steal from everyone. They certified cars that have been wrecked and have bad car faxes. Most of the manufacturers do not want to do business with them and no other company will for sure. The turn over rate for employees is the highest I have ever seen 1 out of 3 leave within a month.
Pros
Cons
the entire company
Dead end
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 28, 2016
Autonation Honda was a horrible place to work. The management are the typical car f*ck type people. The daily culture became very routine. All management cared about was sell, sell, sell...it was need enough. These people would sell out their own family if they thought that it would make them money. If you don't kiss azs, promotions are out of the questions. They benefits are the worst. Extremely expensive. This place would turn a nun into the devil in a matter off months if they didn't fire you first.
Pros
money and schedu

2.8