AutoNation Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced, exciting work environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2016
This is a fun and exciting fast paced job with so much room for growth and so many new things to learn. In such a short time with the company I have worked at four different dealers and multiple brands. I love learning about all the new technologies in the vehicles. Its easy to be enthusiastic about the cars with customers and positive about all the new and exciting features. I have learned everything from cleaning and maintaining the cars on the lot to some finance process to sales and product services. The best thing about the job is meeting all the new customers and striving to provide the best possible experience.
Pros
free lunches on saturdays, room for growth
Good company to work with
Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 15, 2016
punctuality professionalism education and friendly environment
resolving all issues on daily basis taking all incoming calls and customer satisfaction.
Pros
professional environment
Cons
not much of growth potential
No guidance, lack of training, no advancement
Autonation Nissan entry level trainee (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2016
I worked for autonation Nissan in Memphis TN. The job seemed cool seeing that I was in school for automotive technology and they were hiring for a trainee position. I must say that I did not receive proper training on certain things and I had to figure out on my own. Co-workers where helpful some were not. I got let go for something I was not trained on doing and when asked for help no one showed me or assisted me even though I was suppose to be in TRAINING. As a manager you should make sure your that your trainee should know the ins and out on certain problems and make sure with what ever task he or she is faced with they have the knowledge and understanding to complete that task successfully.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of training, guidance, no advancement
Stable Employer, with minimal opportunity for advancement
Reconciliations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 8, 2016
A company that draws from the fringes, never the cream of the crop, but usually not the bottom of the barrel.

The work is simple, which can become mind-numbing if done for too long.

But if you are looking for some stability, and the wages suit you, I'd certainly recommend it.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Very little upward mobility, mostly horizontal with slight pay increases
toyota and nissan
Office Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJuly 6, 2016
great offices to work for wish I had stayed longer to be able to do more. but schooling I thought was b better........................................................
VP IT has unrealistic expectations
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 27, 2016
VP IT will not listen to those below him and expects you to perform miracles even when you have advised him that it is not possible and that some adjustments need to be made to various facets of the business to achieve his goals. People are nice, some are superficial and clueless, but otherwise a great place to work. Attitude and morale is good there. I am only familiar with IT. Not AN in general.
Pros
Friday breakfast at corporate
Cons
VP IT clueless
Awesome Colleagues
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJune 22, 2016
A very friendly environment with helpful colleagues. This company is truly into helping the community and taking the initiative on supporting Breast Cancer Awareness and Research.
Horrible Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 15, 2016
Just a number...no matter how much you've served the company and the many hours placed. They wont hesitate to walk you out the door so mngt covers their
Horrible workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  AutoNation ChevroletJune 14, 2016
Long hours, low pay. I learned that this company will go to great lengths to rip off the customer. If you believe the "market based pricing story" then you are drinking the Kool Aid. I spent 18 months doing car sales for this outfit. They want you to believe they care for the customer , when in fact they want to squeeze every penny out of the clients and laugh at them as they walk out of the dealership after over paying for their car. I could sell 10-12 cars and make no money on commission, but the dealership will make money by selling a certain number of cars. A great place to work if you are in your mid twenties and still live at home, if you are trying to feed a family then look elsewhere. Most dishonest company that I have ever worked for.
If you are the sales manager's "girlfriend" you get all the e-leads and customers handed to you.I can't tell you how many times I was threatened with physical violence by my sales manager. HR refused to step in and help.
Pros
There weren't any as I was concerned
Cons
Bad management, long hour, dishonesty towards the customer
Horrible company
Porter (Former Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJune 7, 2016
Overall not worth working for this company. Corporation only concerned about their overpaid execs. Better off working else where.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Autonation itself.
Dead end
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 28, 2016
Autonation Honda was a horrible place to work. The management are the typical car f*ck type people. The daily culture became very routine. All management cared about was sell, sell, sell...it was need enough. These people would sell out their own family if they thought that it would make them money. If you don't kiss azs, promotions are out of the questions. They benefits are the worst. Extremely expensive. This place would turn a nun into the devil in a matter off months if they didn't fire you first.
Pros
money and schedu
Think Twice!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 17, 2016
I was a service advisor for 2 years. The people I worked with were... Alright. More about themselves then helping as a whole (i.e. Taking customer away or changing RO's, etc) but over all good people. The GM is awesome! Service manger wasn't so great. But the company is just a wreck! More interested in making a penny then the employees or customers. I never once got any of my "use or lose" PTO because we were always "short staffed" and needed people badly because people were in and out (in my time there, 21 people had come and gone, nearly one a month).

The pay is the real kicker though! I was making more money at my side job than I was being a full time employee here because they're pay plans are absolutely unrealistic. For example, advisors needed to sell $250k A MONTH... Seriously!?! Who do these people think they are!! My pay checks would vary which I understand is part of a commission job but it would flux by thousands of dollars every other week... With no explanation other than "you need to see more"

I would really, REALLY think twice before applying to work for Autonation at any career level.
Pros
Not really
Cons
A mountain and a half
Its the car world
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 14, 2016
What can I say about car sales? Everyday there is something new. This industry is constantly changing for the better and so the company.
fun people to work with
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 11, 2016
a typical work day is busy from start to finish, definitely challenging but also rewarding. pay is decent but really no room to advance anywhere unless you sell cars
Pros
free lunch on saturdays
Cons
salary/commission
Sales Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLMay 11, 2016
AutoNation is a great company to work for but management needs to change. Fun place to work at. Lots of events. Benefits are very expesive. Employee discounts are very good.
overall good place to work...good people!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 10, 2016
I had the opportunity to work with some remarkable managers and co-workers. I learned new computer programs and customer service tips while dealing with customers. I really liked the interaction with clients and insurance companies, but the hours were very long and were difficult on the home life.
Dont even bother.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2016
Let me see where to get started. I'll go back to the interview. The first sales manager I spoke with told me that I'd have plenty of time off (I've been 3 weeks now without an off day), also that base salary is $3,500 a month when there actually isn't a base pay. The base pay is minimum wage that you owe back. But that is what happens when you are working a job for 2 and a half weeks expecting 3k+ a month before they even have you sign the pay plan paperwork. Micromanaging is an every day once an hour task. Rain sleet snow or hail if you don't have an up (even tho you've only been there 2 weeks) you better have an appointment or you get no off day that week. To top it all off, if you don't make a ton of phone calls every day you get brought into an office and yelled at and talked to like a child. EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE ONLY BEEN SELLING CARS FOR 2 WEEKS. I was never taught the sales process. My first day ever selling cars I was put on the lot and told to go at it. I'm 19 years old and never sold cars. But it's a good thing auto nation knows how to treat people. Because my third day when I sold a vehicle I got yelled at because I didn't have all the paperwork. Talk about irony. Icing on top of the cake: I caught a fresh up and put him in a vehicle he loved. Had him sold. But seeing how we can hire new associates every week but not get a finance manager to punch in deals, he had to walk. That was on my first week. I just now figured out how to find my no sales in compass. When I look back he's not even under my name anymore. He's already had an appointment scheduled through a 20+  more... year vet and has been transferred to his planner. Any one seeing this should know that auto nation definitely isn't the place to work. In my opinion, the largest problem auto nation has, is promoting salesman to GM's. They sit in the tower long enough and get their memory distorted and a 10-car-a-month salesman who got moved up because he's been there his whole life suddenly turns into a god of a salesman who thinks he's above everyone. Good luck if you choose this place. Hope you don't have a temper or a family to support. I'm headed to a group 1 company as soon as I get the drug test done #peace  less
Pros
Sales associates are cool
Cons
Everything else
Worst Experience of my life
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westmont, ILApril 25, 2016
I would not even know where to start how much of a unpleasant nightmare it had been working at this establishment and feel my voice needs to be heard that someone needs to hear this. I worked at this establishment for 6 months I started working in November of 2015 Was very excited to have a job working for BMW that this would be great start for my career little did I know the 6 month nightmare that I had in store. I am 26 and been in the Car business since I was the age of 15 starting as a porter working my way up to a manger of my own business which was family owned and unfortunately came to closing in the summer of 2015 so coming to this job I was hoping to grow in my career even if I had to start back from the bottom. This establishment is run by young kids I was appalled at the lack of management that goes on in this store. I was verbally harassed by my coworkers and treated with no dignity or respect. I followed all the channels to make complaints with HR department. Who then made empty promises to take action on the employees who surprising were not terminated due to the complaints that I made and even admitted to disregarding a previous complaint due to budget cuts!
While working their I also encountered absolutely horrific and despicable management and customer service. I was witnessing daily complaints from high paying customers on how they had been mistreated and neglected. And then to top all of it off during my time their due to unfortunate circumstances I became ill with severe stomach issues during that time as an employee their I was also denied a medical
  more... phone call by the same coworkers who were harassing me since I started my work their I then took this issue to hr who said they took hostile work environments seriously of which they did not because of this phone denial I was unable after to come to work and ended up in the hospital later which they gave me 2 week personal leave to cover their buts and then forced me to terminate myself due to my medical status. Their needs to be something done with this company im not one to write reviews but this I could not keep quiet about the lack of management and being treated by this company for wrongfully.  less
Cons
Disrespectful Coworkers
horrible work environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 12, 2016
Worked for this company for 10 years. Told there was always room for advancement. So not true. Promised pay raise. Not true. Took 4 pay cuts because they kept moving me around. Also told by a supervisor to keep arms covered so customers would not see skin disorder. Very much against the law to harrass employees because of looks. Would never work for company again. Management can be nice to your face and then talk very disrespectfully behind your back. Be cautious of seeking employment with Autonation. Definetly not a company that is reliable or has the employee's back.
Pros
Cons
disrespect and poor treatment
Just a horrible place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 8, 2016
The last thing they care about is the employee. It's all about company profits. Gave my life to this place for years and ended up getting screwed. Don't waste your life working for them. In the end you will find out you really are just a number.

2.6