Avalon Document Services Employee Reviews

Poor everything
Paper Lackey (Former Employee) –  New York StateNovember 28, 2016
First off I would like to point out that the last two reviews from October are incorrect & are a poor attempt to boost this company's reviews. They were clearly written by someone in the Marketing or HR department. In no way shape or form were any of those reviews true.

First, lets discuss the CEO of this company. This CEO is the most clueless person I have ever worked for. He thinks that he's building a great company but in reality he's just running a company into the ground because he can't keep up with the competition. He tries to implement a culture that in his mind is great but in actuality he's under paying & over working employees. Did I mention that the CEO has jazz guitar degree? Really? Didn't know that someone would actually pursue this let alone think he can run a company with this sought after degree.

Culture: the culture of this company is awful. You are put under ridiculous deadlines and you get yelled at if you don't meet them. I dreaded going into work everyday because the amount of favoritism & high school garbage that goes on everyday. Like some of the other posts, if you do not brown nose or get in with the right people then you will never do anything right regardless of how hard you try.

Compensation: This company is notorious for paying their employees the state minimum. To actually get a promotion or pay increase is probably the hardest thing in the world. They will do yearly reviews to see if you will get a pay increase but what actually happens is upper management will tell you everything you're do wrong & yell at you if you voice your
  more... own opinion. I overheard one long time employee's review and all they did was belittle this person. What they don't realize is that this person is one of the best employees within their company. I was flabbergasted by how they handled this.

If you have a brain please stay away from this highly toxic company unless you like low pay, childish management and no chance of climbing the company ladder.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Too much to list
Very rewarding company. More like family than co-workers!
Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 11, 2016
Avalon is not for everyone. It's only for the best of the best. It is fast paced and high stress at times, but very rewarding if you work hard and do what you are taught to do. This company is growing and blowing all competition away with their attention to detail and care for their clients. The company teaches you to be unselfish and that when you put your all into something, it will be appreciated and given right back. Nobody is forced to work overtime. Ever. You may get asked numerous times, but if you are a hard worker and dedicated to the team and company it's just like hanging with your family for longer and getting paid to do it. Everyday is something different, new and exciting. Again, not for everyone though. They surround themselves with the best in the business and if you're slow to learn and slow to wanna grow you may want to learn otherwise. You wanna work for a great company and love the work you do? Work for Avalon!
Pros
New and exciting challenges daily
Cons
Expected to work really hard and meet goals set forth by supervisors
Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 10, 2016
Avalon provides it's team members with great growth potential. The management and leadership teams work hard to make sure each team member will succeed. When opportunities for advancement come up, team members are considered first before looking elsewhere.

The environment at Avalon is faced paced, however most days do not feel like work because your surrounded by professionals who can smile, laugh and joke with each other. Everyday is fun.
Pros
advancement opportunities, stable work environment, great team.
Toxic environment, AVOID
Document Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 3, 2015
The job itself isn't bad: complete incoming jobs using a variety of printing and finishing equipment to meet deadlines (i.e. business cards, blueprints, scanning documents, invitations, etc.) Unfortunately, what should be an enjoyable and efficient job environment is made absolutely miserable by terrible management and scrooge-like corporate penny pinching. Literally the entire staff of this office (25 people) turned over in the year I worked there because of this. The management style is basically constant threats and intimidation of write-ups or being fired (from the top down) over trifles. They have been hiring for this position at $10/hr for over 7 years, and employees don't receive raises, period. Every single piece of equipment used on the production floor is broken in some way, and employees are expected to come up with creative solutions to produce quality work. Constant high school stuff and I never saw a single positive improvement during my time there, just a desperate tailspin. Unless you're desperate for cash, avoid at all costs.
Pros
Paid time off on holidays
Cons
No opportunity for advancement/raises, threatening/incompetent management, miserable environment
High school
Document speaclist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 8, 2014
Save yourself the time pass right by this company. Lies and the wage is garbage. The upper managment is useless, training is horrible and the work load is unreal. The company has unrealistic deadline goals which stress everyone out on the daily, the only people that seem to enjoy this job are the people who are not the brightest bulbs in the box, and can't realize what is going on. The job could be fun, could be a career for some, but this place is like high school if you weren't in with the owner or the older "cooler" employees you were are garbage. Also the fancy title of "document specialist" it's more like copy lacky... No respect and poor management structure.
Pros
Just eat the cookies, Daryl does it!
Cons
Just eat the cookies, Daryl does it!
Fun isn't all a job needs.
Document Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Paid peanuts, didn't appreciate hard workers. But the staff is great. The management needs to take a strong look at their individual managers and reconsider, though.
Fast paced and high stress
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 28, 2012
This job was very demanding. I would work 10 or more every day without a lunch or any 15 minute breaks. I was on call at all times. I would also be driving for about 9 hours a day non stop which was difficult at times. I gained some good experience in customer service and communication. My co-workers were not at the same level of intelligence or even close to having the same work ethic I have. It was frustrating and very stressful. I felt very under appreciated for the amount of time and hours a day I would put in.
Productive and fast paced. Great Teammates
Director of Production (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 22, 2012
The most talented people in the printing business, hands down. Avalon makes the impossible possible with their commitment to only the highest standards in quality and service.
Pros
great team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avalon Document Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7