Avalon School of Cosmetology Employee Reviews

Terrible management and predatory co-workers.
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 30, 2017
Leads are 4 to 5 years old. I made 60 to 80 calls a day and spoke to maybe 2 or 3 prospects. Co-worker stole my good leads after I had been working them and management couldn't care less.
Great Place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worthington, MNOctober 27, 2017
Great place to work. Fast paced. Owners and management are very easy to work with, and the students love it. I would recommend a job with them to aanyone.
Worst place I've ever worked
Esthetics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJuly 22, 2017
I loved teaching. I hated this job. The school is incredibly disorganized and the owners are all about the almighty dollar. The poor students were not prepared for their state board exams or given things they were promised. The equipment is run down and old. The students were unable to get a proper education. I did everything in my power to help them succeed but the school is a joke. Do not go here. Do your research.
Pros
The students
Cons
Co workers that throw you under the bus
My first real job and I loved it.
Admissions Representative/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 19, 2017
I was a new graduate and new to the Phoenix Area. I was very fortunate to get this position and be a part of their admissions staff. They pay well, have a great workplace culture, and respect their employees.
Pros
discounts on services at the salon, fun working environment
Above and beyond in a quality Cosmetology/Esthetics education program.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2017
The program at Avalon goes beyond traditional beauty schools by offering the most relevant and true to life on the job training for future beauty professionals. The owners of the company are dedicated to providing the best education for the students. Their work ethic is legendary. Each and every key player in the organization works very hard to ensure structure, modern and relevant curriculums using state of the art products and the finest educators in the industry. I am very proud to be a part of this amazing organization.
Pros
Varied topics of curriculums, excellent hands on teaching environment.
Stressful and Unorganized
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 15, 2017
Worst place I ever worked. The manager would get annoyed when I asked questions when I had zero training. Owner is rude and very egoistic. The pay was not worth the amount of stress endured. Save your time and don't work here.
Cons
Stressful, Always Understaffed
Terrible experience
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 28, 2017
One of the worst places I ever worked. The co-workers were nice the owners were such mean people. I watched them yell at people on a regular basis in their faces over things that weren't necessarily. Micro managed severely .. not to mention the owner was dating an employee and she was pretty rude to everyone and knew she could get away with it. Unprofessional environment for sure.
Pros
Students
Cons
Owners
NEW Management and all new staff and faculty!
Director (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAMarch 24, 2017
If you haven't been here lately...you should stop by!
All new staff and faculty, HAPPY students and FANTASTIC employees! this place feels BRAND NEW!

it's amazing being here every day! We are truly the lucky ones!!
Pros
Great culture!
avalon is a school
Esthetics Student (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2017
This school is poorly run. They promise students certain classes and dont deliver. They hire amazing teachers and fire them due to personality clashes with owner. They dont order supplies
Cons
short on supplies, school is run by an ownder who has no idea what he is doing, construction done during school hours, led to a broken arma nd fractured arm of a student
Never work here!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMarch 2, 2017
This place is horrible. They pride in being "about the student" but they are NOT! Strictly a number driven position as an admissions rep. staff is treated poorly, super immature and drama from filled environment. I pray the students get out as quickly as possible and thank no one but themselves.
Pros
Salon like environment
Cons
Drama filled, no room for growth
Tough Place to Be
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Any AvalonFebruary 22, 2017
I worked in a leadership position and it was the most unfriendly, micromanaged, meanspirited, fear-based place to work. Owners are terrible people. Absolutely terrible. Yelling, cursing, fear of losing your job and being made to feel stupid is an everyday occurance. Be warned. Find a better place to work. PASS ON THIS OPPORTUNITY!
Pros
Students, coworkers
Cons
Too many to count, old broken equipment. Not up to date on esthetics curriculum. Terrible, mean, condescending owners.
Excellent curriculum
Other (Current Employee) –  OtherOctober 30, 2016
School director Adam Eastman and director of education Beckie Hastings are 2 of the most supportive managers one could ever have. They both promote an environment where the focus is on fairness and professionalism. The team of instructors get along and they are committed to providing a positive learning environment for the students. It's so refreshing to see the dedication everyone has to making Avalon School of Cosmetology the best Esthetics and Cosmetology school in Arizona. Management holds everyone accountable to do their best! They acknowledge you when you meet or exceed expectations! They challenge you to grow, encourage enthusiasm and give us the autonomy and trust to excel at what we do best. I feel lucky to be working at such a school. Compared to other schools, there is working equipment and plenty of it for students to practice with. Repairs are taken care of immediately. The instructors have all the necessary tools, implements and equipment needed to provide students with quality education. Products are ordered continuously so clients have what is best for their needs. Students use the back bar the school provides and there is ample product for them at all times. The curriculum is the best I've seen in any school. Students are given a quality education to help prepare them not only for the state board examinations but for success in their careers! Students are responsible for participating in their education. The instructors are there to ensure everyone is given the same quality of education conducive for all style of learners. Avalon School of Cosmetology is the  more... best school for people looking for quality education in a well equipped, clean and professional setting.  less
Pros
Curriculum, dedicated instructors, well equipped school
Cons
Phase 1 Esthetics room is too small to allow all students to practice at the same time.
Most Disgusting Place I have ever worked
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 17, 2016
They lie to students, staff, and miss treat employees. If your not in the click with the school director and education director or corprate your out. very immature group of adults who hang out with 23 year olds.
Awful company to work for, from the owners to corporate in Scottsdale to everyone in the school.I was Admissions and would never go back if I was offered a million dollars.
Very negative untrustworthy group of people.
Cons
Micro manage
A little Overwhelming.
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 7, 2016
This particular location has a lack of positivity and empowerment when it comes to the Staff. I worked as the Salon Coordinator/Receptionist for a very short time. I am glad my time spent there as an employee ended quickly. A day as the "Front Desk" consistent with the same thing over and over again; Rude Clients, Unmotivated and unhappy Staff throwing their complaints and judgments, and management belittling you with their egotistical demands and snarky comments. For this location, the Salon Coordinator is usually the hardest worker there considering all other staff members are "preoccupied" so everything gets dumped on you without warning and you'll be the blame if something happens to go wrong. It is very "High school-ish" at this location due to the cliques the staff have organized. Expect dirty looks and gossiping. Very sad considering this is a Vocational School geared towards training mostly the female Gender.
Pros
Meeting exceptional Students
Cons
Work environment, pay, staff, management, clients
Avalon School Of Cosmetology
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAFebruary 16, 2016
A day at work here consisted of negative energy, unorganized environment. I learned how to take on multiple tasks and complete them independently. The management did not help with conflicts and were very aggressive and negative. The hardest part of working here was working with verbally abusive people. i enjoyed the most was being able to help the student and clients with any questions and concerns they had.
Overall a great company that cares about its students
admissions representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 3, 2015
Really have enjoyed my time at Avalon. The staff and instructors are great. They truly care about the students success.
Pros
Environment, communication, staff
Cons
Days off per year
innovative company
Lead Esthetics Educator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 10, 2015
short lived company
great management and ownership
pleasant and rewarding environment
great services and customer service
Worst Job I Have EVER Had
Salon Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 11, 2014
I wouldn't make my worst enemy work at this place. There were so many days I left upset or crying or angry- and it wasn't like the pay or benefits were so good I HAD to stay. The people who already work there are just mean, the kind of people who purposefully go out of their way to make your job harder. Oh, and not to mention if you seem even slightly intelligence/attractive/skinny, you'll get bullied for it. It's why they go through employees so fast. In one year we went through FIVE directors and I honestly lost count of the number of instructors we went through. Someone would get promoted (like the whole two times it ever happened), and all the sudden one of the few amazing teachers we had would vanish, all because they weren't liked, usually for being intelligent/attractive/skinny.
I did front desk there for quite some time. Front desk relies on the teachers to do their jobs correctly, (for example, a student isn't allowed to get a service if they have a guest coming in early, common sense) and they rarely ever did that. We would have guests- paying customers!- waiting up to TWO HOURS to be seen because a teacher said a student could get a service done, knowing that student had a client. Might not sound too bad, but when that student came up to you and asked to get something done, and you do your job and say no, it's a bit aggravating. Not to mention, we dealt with all the upset clientele. This happened at least once a day.
The owners were just abusive. There were times they would be in visiting, and wouldn't let me go on break because they didn't want to pull a teacher
  more... to cover. Or cover themselves. For my ONE whopping 15 minute break. Not only were they also incredibly rude and inconsiderate, they'd curse at you as well. Uplifting, right?
I honestly just feel bad for the students. They'd pay so much money, carpool across cities to get to school after finding someone to babysit, only to get to class and get at most a mediocre education from lazy teachers only there to gossip with each other. I've literally seen teachers there walk across the main floor and have to sit down because they started sweating. Profusely.
The pay was bad. I was there over a year and they wouldn't give me a raise- they actually wouldn't even give me a review, which I thought was pretty customary after a year. The owners themselves lied to myself and a coworker on multiple occasions, for more than six months, saying they never recieved our reviews. We went to our supervisor, and she showed us the email she sent to them. We went to the director, and she also showed us an email she had sent to the owners, but no response. The owners insisted they never recieved anything.

Please do yourself a favor and stay as far away from supporting this institution as possible. Unless you crave a hellish work enviornment, be my guest.
Pros
You get to sit for your shift
Cons
Basically everything else
structure environment for future professionals
Cosmetology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTOctober 1, 2014
I currently work here. Instructors are given clear and accurate curriculum to follow. You make close connections withyour team and with the students.
Unprofessional and unorganized
educator (Former Employee) –  mesaAugust 15, 2014
Students were the best part of every shift. Management was very unorganized and not discreet about other employees performance or lack of. It depended on the moods of staff in charge what rules were enforced and which were not. Very inconsistent. Appreciation shown was rare unless it was from a fellow teacher.
Pros
students
Cons
unorganized training and gossip among management and staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avalon School of Cosmetology. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4