AvalonBay Communities

AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

A positive culture and supportive environment that achieves great things
Director of Portfolio Maintenance (Current Employee), Los AngelesMay 28, 2015
Pros: Lots of training opportunities, growth opportunities, and initiatives to continually improve
The executive summary to this review is it is a great organization. I have worked for healthy and unhealthy companies. After two years with Avalon I am still amazed at the quality of the people, the level of thoughtfulness and planning to continually improve, and the overall positive environment. One of the people I interviewed with before starting at Avalon put it succinctly,"We work hard and like to have fun while we are doing it," This continues to be my experience.
An Impressive Place to Work
Sr. Manager, Learning & Development (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to contribute. Meritocracy--no free rides!
Cons: More work to do than there is time and resources
A financially solid company, managed by humble individuals with brilliant minds--a rare combination! A stated corporate culture which truly represents what we value.

If you are smart, driven, and willing to work hard, AvalonBay is the right place for you. Associates are given opportunities to shine. When associates succeed, they are rewarded with even greater opportunities to grow and add value. AvalonBay is not the place for people who are satisfied in doing just enough to get by.

What do I love? In addition to my manager, I love my smart, kind, collaborative, and caring co-workers. I love working in diverse teams and the constant collaboration. I love what I do and the fact that my expertise and professional experience is valued, and my opinion solicited. I love that I am constantly challenged with diverse projects and recognized for my contributions and success.

What could be better? The workload could be lighter. Nonetheless, since there is so much that I love about AvalonBay, I am happy to make it work.
Great Company to Work for
Community Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2015
Pros: Company culture, benefits, associates, properties
Avalon has been an awesome company to work for. They really care about their employees and company culture. I would say they don't pay the highest in property management, but they make up for this in company morale and training. So far I've loved my time at Avalon and would recommend my friends/family to work here.
Ever evolving company
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Good benefits; work/home life balance; values
I have been with AvalonBay for over 12 years now, starting as a leasing consultant and working my way up to manager. The company is continuously changing and strives to keep up with the times and be a leader in the field. We are the only company in the industry that has successfully branded our communities, offering various lifestyles to suit anyone. I am part of a great team that embraces our culture and works together to improve our community, our scores/numbers and the lives of our residents. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to interact with so many wonderful people, whether they are associates, residents or prospective residents. Over the years I’ve learned that you have to be willing to change to succeed and we are changing every day so we can maintain our status of being an excellent company to work for!
A great place to work
Director (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 21, 2015
Pros: Strong performance. Undiluted focus on what works. Good work-life balance. Appreciate the employees.
Cons: Technology is a challenge. Can be slow to adopt change, but once the organization is bought in they make it work.
After having been burned by a previous employer that turned out to be the opposite of what they promised, I was leery of a company not meeting the hype of being a mix of a strong company, fun environment, and generally being a place for a career versus just a job.

AvalonBay is living up to the promise.

The leadership is smart, caring, and focused - and it shows throughout the organization. Whether at corporate headquarters or a remote property, everyone believes that they are making a difference and can be successful. That attitude helps make almost all aspects of the organization positive, and keeps the job interesting and challenging at the same time.
AVB is the luckiest thing that ever happened to me
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Excellent culture, managers committed to your growth and success
Cons: placement takes a while, so it always feels like you're short-staffed
I joined AvalonBay when my previous employer, Archstone Communities, was acquired. I didn't choose AvalonBay, but I would have. AvalonBay values its customers and teams on a fundamental level. My manager was committed to my growth as an employee and encouraged me when new opportunities arose within the company.

I also know that I'm not alone in that regard. My position placed me adjacent to many job fairs and interviews -- and I was surrounded by other managers, not my own, who I saw commit to making sure that opportunity was available to our associates and that people were placed in positions to succeed.

Good placement is placed at a very high premium with AvalonBay, and the decision has consequences. If you're interviewing, don't be surprised if you have to go through several interviews to get a position. It also means that positions often stay vacant a little longer; as an employee, sometimes you'll have to cover for short staffing caused by thorough search and screening. The upside is that you can believe, when you get hired to a position, that they believe you can do it and are committed to your success.
Great company to work for!
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Irvine, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and supportive managers.
Cons: None
AvalonBay is a great company to work for with lots of job advancement opportunities. Very supportive of their employees and truly demonstrate genuine care for them. They offer great benefits including tuition reimbursement. Positive and friendly environment. This is by far the best company I have worked for. I am very happy with AvalonBay and hope to retire with them.
Awesome Company That You Can Believe In!
General Manager (Current Employee), Southern CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Everything - This is an awesome company to work for.
Cons: Compensation could be more competitive.
AVB has a great company culture that is evolving as the company continues to grow. If you want a work environment that never rests for the status quo and that is constantly seeking to be better, this is the place for you! Every day is different and the only constant here is our desire to improve.
Great Company To Work For!
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee), Southern CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Given the tools to succeed. Empowerment. Every day is different.
Cons: Bonus compensation
It's always an amazing feeling to deliver GREAT customer service and this is exactly what AvalonBay exemplifies! AvalonBay cares immensely what their employees think and they do a great job implementing new business techniques based on associate survey feedback. Not many companies do this. AvalonBay also gives their employees the tools and training needed to advance and has a history of promoting from within. If you have a hard time adapting to change, or multi-tasking than property management probably isn't for you.
Ok place to work pay sucks
Customer Care (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Free fountain drinks and juice
Cons: low pay
Pay is horrible and bonuses are almost impossible to obtain. You must be a talkative which is weird. If you do not have a very friendly relationship with your manager, you wont be there long. The environment is not about getting the job done but how well you get along with your team.
Payment Services Manager (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAApril 30, 2015
Pros: Work/life balance
Generally good place to work, people are nice and outgoing. Everyone is willing to say hi and help when needed. Good work/life balance.
good benefits, company is good to employees , salary is a little low
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Burlington, MAApril 6, 2015
all in all , a decent place to work. Depending on where you work and who your supervisor is greatly affects your changes of advancement.
that also applies to your salary raises .
Great company to work for
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Opportunity for growth in your career
Cons: Technology
I love the way Avalonbay gives opportunity for growth within the company. They inspire me to to things that I never thought I would ever do and supports my efforts.
An excellent company
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Work Life balance
Cons: Low Pay
Avalon Bay is a great company to work for with the only exception being the pay is a little low. Work life balance is good especially if you put in hard work because t is appreciated. Most of the managers all the way up to the executives are very good to work for and with. The most difficult thing is residents but they can also be a positive.

April 6, 2015

Thank you for your feedback and are glad to hear that you have had a positive experience at AVB. We appreciate your hard work and commitment to the company.

Great Company
Assistant Manager/ Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Growth
Cons: Lot of change
This is an amazing company to work for I had amazing co/workers and I made life long friends. This was a great company to work with and for.

April 6, 2015

Thank you for your review and your service to AvalonBay! We are pleased to hear about your positive experience.

Work Hard, Play Hard
Sr. Community Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2015
The company culture is AMAZING. From the way associates are engaged, to the customer service experieinces for our customers. We find opportunities to give back to local communities and associates are getting involved in charitable events. Compensations is lower compared to what competitors are bringing new hires in at; however, employee retention is higher with AVB. Advancement is lower only due to minimal communities in SD compared to LA and other regions.

We are encoraged to #beGREAT everyday and supported when we make those choises. Executive team is engaged with on-site personnel and are very approachable.

April 6, 2015

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate your enthusiasm and passion and are proud to have you on the AVB Team! #beGREAT

Love my job
Associate (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VAMarch 16, 2015
Job culture is like no other place I've ever worked! I feel like I'm part of a family and that I'm actually cared about as an associate. Pay is decent and there is definitely room for growth as an individual.
Great place to work with opportunity to grow.
Community Supervisor (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: the opportunity for advancement and the benefits the company gives to its employees.
Cons: avalon is a little behind when it comes to technologies, .
Avalon is a great place to work. Everyday I am presented with a new challenge that pushes me further and makes me a better manager. I have grown with the company and they have invested in me though numerous training classes. I have gown so much with Avalon both personally and professionally.
The Avalon culture can not be any better. It is so great to know that I have so many managers and peers that are there for me when I need them. They are there for support through the more challenging aspects of the job and are also there to celebrate accomplishments. I am so lucky to work for such a great company.

April 6, 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thanks for your contributions to AvalonBay thus far. I am really happy that you are enjoying your AvalonBay experience at our San Jose Community. Thank you for being here, and for contributing positively to our success.

Fast pace productive and great place to work
Resident Services Technician II (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2015
A day at Avalon is getting work orders done and customer service. I've learned how to work at a bigger property and how to deal with more responsibilities.The management team is great always on top of things.my co-workers are awsome to work with we learn fro each other on a daily bases.The hardest part of the job is sometimes not been able to finish a work order due to lack of supplies. The most enjoyable part is seeing the residents happy after fix an issue in the home

April 6, 2015

Thank you for the great review. Associates like you make AvalonBay a great place to work and live. We appreciate your hard work and your feedback!

Leasing
Community Consultant (Current Employee), Lake Forest, CAMarch 7, 2015
Always bussy writing notices for residents, touring community, and leasing apartments. Answering resident questions, process move in and move out. Advertising.

April 6, 2015

Thank you very much for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback.

1 2 3 4 5

About AvalonBay Communities

AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing – Read more

AvalonBay Communities Salaries