AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Good Company, made compensation changes
Sales and Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 23, 2016
Good Company, like the people and job but pay decreases company wide leave me looking for other opportunities, good benefits and culture but pay is important when looking at my future with the company.
Great company that cares for the associates well being and their success.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 12, 2015
AvalonBay is a great place to work they strive to make sure everyone is successful.

The management is great they've worked with me on a number of professional issues I've had and I feel I am a better employee because of it.

Co-workers are a pleasure to work with each person is understanding and takes the time to get to the bottom of any issue you might have

The hardest part of my job is balancing the task oriented half and the higher view of some of my projects.

Overall my career here at AvalonBay has improved my life significantly and it is a pleasure to be an associate.
Pros
Great company culture. Great management. Employee housing discount. Transit Benefits.
Cons
I do believe my compensation is a bit low for my position and the 401k / benefits could be better.
Great Company.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 21, 2015
Fun and supportive place to work. This was my first "real" job and I gained a lot of knowledge and self-awareness. Everyone was always helping each other out so the atmosphere was great. There were regional meetings with thousands of employees. Over time each sub office created it's own intimate culture which was nice to really get to know everyone. I worked at about 5 different offices all over va, md, and dc throughout my whole career with Avalon Bay Communities.This is a very large company, so my duties included a lot of diverse items, but I mainly focused on customer service. Because it was so big, the growth from with in really became all about who you know and who liked you, instead of your skills or years you've worked for the company.
Pros
Large Company Culture
Cons
Little/No growth.
Helpful and dedicated, resident focused
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 31, 2016
AvalonBay has been a great employer to work for! We give great care to ensure our residents are the primary focus and strive for one call resolution in our customer care center. All departments partner very well together for the business bottom line. Whether this means resolving an issue for a current resident, processing the security deposit final statement for a prior resident, or settling an account balance... Or even working with the on-site team. Our residents are our primary focus. The senior management team is very focused on employee development and recognizing employees for their elevated. Overall, AvalonBay has been a wonderful place to work and I recommend it to anyone looking for a career!
Pros
Culture Committee, Spirit of Caring Committee, flexible work schedule
Productive fun workplace to work
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 29, 2016
A fun upbeat workplace with life changing cultural adaptions. Avalon bay will strive to push you to your very best, teaching you A 1 customer service techniques and trade skills that would help mold an individual into a professional. At Avalon bay management assists you in developing leadership skills that can bring the very best out of an individual preparing you for the next step in your career. You also learn to develop team building exercises and techniques that can prep you for a large team interaction and how to work well with others. The hardest part of the job is in dealing with some customers that are not easily pleased searching to find a common ground between the two that leave both parties satisfied. On the contrary the best part of the job is actually the customer interactions daily assisting residents and making them feel like home.
Pros
Free lunches, quartely events
Cons
Weekend shifts / Occasional
Challenging and rewarding working with talented associates
IT Director (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 8, 2016
What lured me to AvalonBay over 15 years ago is the same reason that I've stayed so long, which is culture. We have an abundance of highly talented, hardworking and respectful people that make it easy to come to work day after day and give meaning to the idiom "Time flies when you're having fun".

Opportunities exist for constant collaboration across departments and levels.

Rewarding for individuals that are open to taking on challenges and coming up with innovations.

Proud of the people that we call "associates", who are care about each other, the company and the community.
Pros
Free beverages and coffee
Cons
Commute
Avalon was Great
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MAJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed working for Avalon, there atmosphere and coworkers were great! I learned more information for my job field. It was a great experience

Opportunities exist for constant collaboration across departments and levels.

Don't work here
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Avalon prudential centerJuly 2, 2016
Management at Avalon has way too much power. They love to overwork their maintenance staff and then treat them like dirt. If you work in the city, they make you do snow removal. Sometimes you can work 2-3 days straight without going home and seeing your family. They don't care. They will tell you that if you don't like it...find a new job. What they really need is a good Union so they aren't allowed to abuse their power. We tried but they had some of their employees too scared to stand up. They hire people with no experience so as not to have to pay them. Then rely on those with experience to do all the real work. They definitely have their favorites too and if you are one of them you can get away with anything. They may even promote you! Stay away from Avalon Prudental Center. It's a magnet for power hungry, no spine managers who never stick up for their hard working employees
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Bad environment, managers who play favorites
If you like working with good people, then this might be the place
Assisstant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 16, 2016
Overall, AvalonBay is one of the best at what they do.

There are talented, hard working people who care about what they do in Development, Construction and Service.

The people in the Construction division, where I am assigned, are professional and get things done.

I have worked for builders and architects on all types of projects, however I will admit working as the Owner is much more rewarding.
Synergy and Colaboration
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Rockville Centre, NYAugust 29, 2016
Avalon is a collective group of talented people all working together to deliver a safe and enjoyable life style for our residences families and friends. The most enjoyable part of working here at Avalon Bay is driving by a completed community during the Holidays and seeing the decorations, light and the residence enjoying their home.
Pros
Freedom to expand knowledge and ides
Cons
Not enough team building events
Good for entry level- not long term.
Loss Mitigation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 16, 2015
I worked at this company for over two and a half years at their Customer Care Center in Virginia Beach and it is your typical corporate office. Even though you are hourly you have paid sick and vacation- no exceptions. The pay is terrible for the amount of work you do and in order to get promoted you literally have to take "classes"; complete book reports and job shadow- mainly all on your own time. After you complete this- you only get a $1 raise for each platform! If you want to move up to management you're better off leaving the company and coming back- the pay will be much better.

I loved the work I did but could no longer deal with the office politics and the way they treated people- we were all replaceable and treated as such. They chase away all the good employees and it is almost always a bitter ending once you put your two weeks in(myself included). They waste money with a full week of associate appreciation, bbq's and other things throughout the year but realisticly I would have preferred that go to my paycheck.

It is also a pretty negative environment; if you have an issue, opinion or thought that may not be overly positive..... you will be forever looked at as a negative person and judged for it. They do not like to hear your opinions- period. The Customer Care Center is very out of touch with their employees.

If you are the person who can come to work, mind you own business and collect the check, this may work for you but if you are like me and put your all into your work and really want to get involved than you may struggle like I did and mentally check
  more... out after a year.  less
Pros
Great entry level positions.
Cons
negative environment, low pay, revolving door.
Not much concern for their employees well being
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAApril 6, 2016
I was there a year and had to go out on medical leave (per them), when I was able to return to work they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Pros
Training
Cons
Poor Management
Good people but some not so good Managers
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston AreaAugust 13, 2016
-Very tight on time to make apartments ready
-learned a lot through training
-Some managers were not available for help
-co workers were great
-hardest part was the lack of time for a quality make ready
-most enjoyable part of job was resident satisfaction
Pros
Lunch's
Cons
lack of time to improve quality of units and funding to upgrade units
Unprofessional
Maintenance Technician III (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 25, 2016
Hiring and promotions solely based on personal friendships. The deserving, hard working employees that don't schmooze are completely overlooked and underappreciated. This is immediately apparent once you meet most of the supervisors at the many different properties. I have personally witnessed extreme x harassment, unsafe work practices, theft, and even assault. Bringing these issues up does nothing but paint a target on your back. I personally have been the target of retaliation for bringing these horrible issues to light. Every issue just listed was completely swept under the rug and basically excused and ignored solely because of personal friendships.
I personally love the work I do,I genuinely care about whatever company I work for and the people I serve. These ARE NOT the kind of employees Avalon managers want. Constant fear of the guy their supposed to be training for the next step up "stealing" their job completely stunts ANY and all growth. Over qualified, under appreciated, and underpaid. If your situation allows.....avoid this company if your in the northeast.
Pros
It's a job =/
Cons
Benefits lacking, low wage, unprofessional, zero chance for advancement
Growing Company
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaOctober 5, 2015
Company has made improvements and in theory all its initiatives sound great. Only problem is there isn't enough staffing and workers are stretched thin. Summers are extremely busy and turnover during this time is high. Compensation is not great but the benefits are good. We receive vision, dental, and medical health care. We have several paid holidays. Co-workers are great team players and management does a great job with training. I've learned a lot in the past few years.
Fast paced and rewarding career with amazing people!
Community Concierge, Lead Concierge (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 24, 2016
I absolutely love my job, I work with amazing fun spirit lifting people. Very busy community. There's always something to do or someone to help. Its rewarding helping people who need it!
Pros
advancing career, HUGE company, the company cares for you, advancing education.
Cons
i did not find this job sooner!
A Company That Cares About You
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 26, 2016
If you want to work for a company that wants to help you achieve your career and personal goals. Avalonbay is the company you should be looking to work for. I came to Avalon 9 years ago. I was wanting to make a change in my life and career. Came out to the PNW on vacation and decided that while I was out I would send out my resume before I headed out. Long story short I had 4 companies contact me for interview. I set them up. Avalon was the first one I interviewed with the day after I arrived. After interviewing on one of the properties. I had an interview with Corporate Office. After that interview I called the other 3 companies and cancelled my interviews. After the interview process with Avalon. I knew that I found a place that I could truly end my career with. Their talk about family and career advancement opportunities. The entire time I felt that they really cared about me as a person. That meant a lot. Here I am 9 years later still with Avalon because they have lived up to everything they have promised. I truly appreciate everything that Avalon has done for me. Are they perfect in every way? Show me a place that is. Overall they have been perfect for me. Great place to work, great staff, and great culture.
Pros
They care about you as a person and will help you further your career as far as you want.
Productive friendly work environment
Apartment Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Danbury,CTOctober 14, 2015
A typical work day consist of making sure grounds are clean,work orders,painting apartments,Communicating with
office,management,coworkers and vendors.

Nothing is too hard with hard work and teamwork.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making a resident happy.
I enjoy helping others and take pride in my work.
Pros
Job secuerity and benefits
Cons
Commute
Wolves in Sheep's Clothing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 12, 2016
If I could give 0 stars I would. I couldn't proceed without giving at least one. Stay far away from this company unless you're fine with joining a cult. They have very unrealistic expectations and your job is pretty much based on office politics. If they feel any type on intimidation, you're out of there. It's amazing to be told youre doing a great job by senior management and let go shortly after.
Pros
Complimentary Soft drinks and Beverages
Cons
short breaks, no open communication with employees, very secretive and phony atmosphere
Flexible atmosphere with open minded opportunity to grow.
Construction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 28, 2016
I like that AvalonBay Communities gives everyone the option to help create a better system and room for advancement. Sometimes the workload can be heavy which is great for a mind that likes to be challenged.
Pros
Willing to work with their employees on ideas and schedules
Cons
May not be in touch with employee conflict

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.