AvalonBay Communities Employee Reviews

Great place to learn and grow
SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 13, 2018
AvalonBay provides opportunity to wear multiple caps and work on same project.You learn different technologies and learn to implement in daily tasks and hence making work exciting and interesting.
See below
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 11, 2018
Lack of training and management from a project stand point. Your left alone to figure out who to call for support when needed. Employees did as little as possible to keep their jobs and that would be expected when working for a publicly traded company.
Great company to work for.
Regional Facilities Director (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Support daily operations.
To much to write about.
Best place to work.
Everyone was so helpful with helping my future.
Being laid off.
Every day was great.
Great Place to Work
Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2018
I highly recommend working for AvalonBay. I started out as a Leasing consultant and worked my way up by starting at a stabilized property and finishing with them at a lease up. This company is great because you can ask anyone anything and not feel like they are going to bite your head off for asking someone else. They have a great upward mobility track for those who want it and work hard for it. This company is very forward thinking in everything that they do with having committees that focus on the company's environmental footprint to employee advancement.
Pros
Great Benefits, decent amount of holidays
Cons
Pay could be better
January 11, 2018

Thanks for sharing! We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed working at AVB. It sounds like you gained some valuable experience during your time with us and I hope it serves you well through a successful career.

Enjoyable work environment
SENIOR COMMUNITY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VADecember 23, 2017
Enjoyable work environment. Not a cut-throat sales environment. Quarterly events are held to keep employees motivated and informed on what's new with company operations.
Pros
work/life balance, awesome work enviornment
Cons
low pay
January 3, 2018

Hello and thanks for taking the time to post a review. We're so glad to hear how much you're enjoying AVB. We have a lot of close-knit teams and that often creates a really fun and supportive atmosphere to work in. Thanks again and have an outstanding 2018!

Office atmosphere
Senior Community Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 11, 2017
My experience at Avalon varied. It really seemed that the manager made a big difference in how the office atmosphere was perceived. If the manager welcomed team support and made the day to day routine fun then happiness was very apparent. If the manager micro managed then creativity and wellbeing suffered. Be careful that you don't get a manager that can't foster positive relatonships. Trust is so important. Fairness is crucial. Evaluate the situation and if it's not healthy then be fair to yourself.
Pros
Gym access
December 21, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we're sorry to hear that your experience at AVB was anything less than excellent. I couldn't agree more about the impact managers have on their associates' engagement and happiness in their job. The team atmosphere is a huge part of our business and culture and it remains a major focus for us. We appreciate your feedback and wish the best going forward.

great events
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CADecember 11, 2017
its a nice play people are great highly recommend its fast paced because your always moving back and forth but its not hard but you do get tired but overall good
Pros
hour lunch
December 13, 2017

Thanks for sharing. We're glad you're enjoying working at AVB and all that comes with being part of this amazing team!

Productive and Fun Atmosphere to work in!
Community Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 9, 2017
I was apart of the AvalonBay for a little over a year, and with in that year I was able to push myself not only personally but professionally. AvalonBay gives you the opportunity to grow and advance within the company.
December 13, 2017

Thanks for your review! AVB is definitely an excellent place to hone your skills and realize your potential. It's great to hear you're taking advantage of that - keep it up and I'm sure your future at AVB will be a bright one!

Great work Life Balance
Senior Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 12, 2017
They do things different but also have a focus on giving back to the communities they operate business in. There are over 20 communities in OC/SD and over 255 nationwide. Opportunities are plentiful especially if there is flexibility with relocation
November 15, 2017

We really appreciate your review. We're proud of the investment made by AVB in our local communities. AVB is just as invested in all of us, and that's something to be proud of too. Thanks for being part of this amazing team!

No Complaints
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 9, 2017
I am glad I had the opportunity to work there at AvalonBay. I have nothing negative to say about this company. Many always have likes and dislikes, though I try to remain neutral. Any company can improve in their Managerial style, but who is perfect?
Pros
No Complaints
Cons
No Complaints
November 15, 2017

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed your time working at AvalonBay. I hope you're able to draw on the experience throughout your career. Thanks again!

Good place to start
Community Concierge (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 3, 2017
I worked for the Courthouse Place property as a concierge. It was a good place to start my career but I didn't plan to stay long. I was looking to get into the planning department but learned later that the company didn't really have one. My experience with the manager of the building wasn't great but I don't believe she currently works for that particular building anymore. Overall the company is fine. It wasn't a terrible experience but it also wasn't the most amazing.
November 9, 2017

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear your time with us wasn't more memorable, but I hope you came away with some experience that will serve you well as you continue your career elsewhere.

Customer Service
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2017
It's a good starter job and presents an opportunity for you to learn more about property management. The community is innovative in pioneering something new in the industry.
November 9, 2017

I'm glad that your time working at AvalonBay was a valuable learning experience. Thanks for your feedback, we wish you well in your future career endeavors.

It depends on you
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 29, 2017
It's a call center environment. If you enjoy that, then you'll love working there. If not, it can be tedious almost to the point of boredom. Lots of room for growth, which is a plus.
Pros
Family atmosphere, Lots of room for growth
Cons
short breaks, unruly customers, pay could be better
November 9, 2017

The team at our Customer Care Center is tight-knit and they do an incredible job serving our residents. But many roles are challenging and I agree that not everyone is suited for it. We appreciate your efforts while a part of the AVB team and wish you all the best going forward.

stressed out
Maintenance Tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Wharton, NJOctober 25, 2017
Being micro managed is never good. It was a boring job doing the same thing all day.They care about the workers just how you work
and its all about how you get the job done.
November 10, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that working at AvalonBay wasn't a more fulfilling experience for you. We care deeply about our associates and we expect the best from ourselves and one another as well. Thanks again and we wish you success in your future pursuits.

Leasing Consultant
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYOctober 24, 2017
Good job to start a career and learning the real estate business. Very competitive and you can advance if you want to. Management is happy to help you with any questions that may come up.
November 10, 2017

Thanks for sharing! We're glad you chose to begin your career with us and that you gained some valuable experience while on the AVB team. Hope it helps to bring you great success in your career.

working conditions
Senior Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 13, 2017
good company overall - great pay - good benefits - upper management lacks experience - on call procedures were not employee friendly - overall experience was good
Pros
100% free apartment
Cons
stress
November 17, 2017

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your time at AVB. We're so fortunate for our amazing on-site teams who are standing by to serve residents 24/7 and we appreciate their dedication. Many thanks for your review!

Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 28, 2017
I was with AVB when they were a small company called Trammell Crow. When they became public it was exciting but also a lot changed. It was a very collaborative environment and they included a lot of people along the journey when they grew to a public company. They went through a phase and hired a lot of VP's and Senior Regionals that were not nice people. All of these individuals are now gone. I have heard from some of my peeps that still work there and they are frustrated by the lack of career growth. They have a very nice inventory of assets and they spend a lot of money maintaining them. They were very generous of stock grants and options in the beginning but I did see this taper off over time. Everything I learned I learned at Avalon. Every situation after Avalon was not good in which the culture was not as exciting and job stability was not there. AVB is a stable company that offers solid benefits and I would highly recommend them to anyone who asked. I rated my last supervisor as poor, but she retired. Everyone prior was FANTASTIC leaders that took the time to mentor you and gave you lots of opportunities. They cared about their employees.
Pros
Care for employees. Stock options and grants.
Cons
Inconsistent on leadership. Stop hiring mean people.
November 29, 2017

Thanks for sharing about your experience at AvalonBay. Surely a lot has changed since the Trammell Crow days but one of the things I admire most is that while AVB continues to grow, the commitment to its associates, customers and core values is unchanged. Another part of the culture that makes AVB a special place to work is the value placed on professional development and career growth, so it's troubling to hear about your friends who are frustrated in that regard. I would encourage them to connect with their management team to ensure they're taking advantage of every opportunity to grow their AVB career. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.

A Company that Cares
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 28, 2017
I have found the culture at AvalonBay to be very unique to our industry. Many of the big companies list their “values” which don’t actually mean anything to them. That’s not the case here. The Core Values and Cultural Norms at AvalonBay truly describe the environment I feel that I am working in and the people I am working with. This is an environment where you will be challenged, but supported to be successful. You are empowered to make your own decisions and do what you know is right. There will be plenty of opportunities to grow your career and more importantly - the opportunities are mainly due to the company’s growth, not due to turnover since there is a lot of long tenure here. Also because of our focus on continuous improvement, there is lots of change which keeps things from getting monotonous. I’ve always found that my managers value a positive work/life balance and always make sure to acknowledge hard work while giving me flexibility to make sure I get some “me” time in too.
Pros
Multiple Associate Appreciation Events throughout the year, fun environment, pro-associate workplace.
Cons
Like anywhere, working with customers can be challenging and that is not for everybody.
High level work ethics and work-life balance
Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2017
Coast to Coast job transfer and relocation options.
Good leadership and employee achievements recognition program..
New technology and methodologies to help with high performing sales goals.
Not a good place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 24, 2017
Very hectic with a horrible on boarding program. It a sink or swim kind of job with very little training. I felt like I was training them at times. Management tend to pick favorites and were not open to suggestions
Pros
good schedule
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AvalonBay Communities. Our community is ready to answer.